Webervations booking problems - just me????

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oke doke - we got to the bottom of this. Ben (our product manager) and Shane (developer) figured it out. Here is the story:
Every time someone would click on a webervations link or search on a site that David had setup to track referrals (sites like BBonline, BedandBreakfast.com, BNBFinder to name a few), three things would happen. First - it would save the IP of the person searching, second it would save the referral string (i.e. BBonline), third it would save the property webervations ID.
If the same IP address showed up again doing a search directly on the property site, the system would look and see if there was a referring site string stored (i.e. BBonline) matching the property ID stored that the IP was searching on. If there was a 3 way match, then the referring site stored would be credited with the booking. The IP address was never deleted - so if you came back a year later directly to the site, or I guess 10 years later, it would still credit the original site. This partially makes sense - in most referral scenarios, there is a period of time where the site who made the referral is recognized. For instance - in our deal with Kayak, if someone finds a B&B on Kayak, Kayak gets credit for 30 days. Same as all the sites through Commission Junction or most affiliate programs).
IF someone first went to BBonline, clicked onto a Webervations link, then went to BBcom and clicked on a Webervations link, the original referring site would be replaced with the last referring site. (which makes sense - that is how most trackers do it)
So - our plan is to put in a timestamp on this, and when we find the 3 way match, we would check to make sure the last search was within 30 days, or we would not attached any referring source. Does this make sense?.
JBanczak said:
So - our plan is to put in a timestamp on this, and when we find the 3 way match, we would check to make sure the last search was within 30 days, or we would not attached any referring source. Does this make sense?
I am truly impressed with the quickness that you guys are taking on these issues. I wish that all innkeepers would look at this forum and read how our issues are being addressed.
Just one more clarification please - Just to be clear for all that read this, if someone looked at bbonline in less than 30 days before booking directly through my website, it will show bbonline as the referring source, not my website - is that correct?
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
So - our plan is to put in a timestamp on this, and when we find the 3 way match, we would check to make sure the last search was within 30 days, or we would not attached any referring source. Does this make sense?
I am truly impressed with the quickness that you guys are taking on these issues. I wish that all innkeepers would look at this forum and read how our issues are being addressed.
Just one more clarification please - Just to be clear for all that read this, if someone looked at bbonline in less than 30 days before booking directly through my website, it will show bbonline as the referring source, not my website - is that correct?
Yes - if they looked at BBonline, clicked on a link from BBonline directly to a Webervations page, we would remember that for 30 days.
If they went from BBonline to your website, then from your website to a Webervations page - then it would show up as your website.
If they looked at BBonline, clicked on a Webervations link to your Weber page, then a few days later looked on BB.com, clicked on a Weber link to your Weber page - then it would remember BB.com for 30 days - not BBonline. Make sense?
I guess my question was not clear...let me try one more time - pardon my consist questions -
Mary was researching for a possible trip this summer - she found bbonline and did some looking around including looking at ABC B&B and did click on the webervations link to check out prices and availability but she did NOT book, she was 'shopping'. Later that month (within 30 days), during a google search she finds XYZ B&B's website and goes to their webervations link and books... What will webervations show as the referring source? Note: Mary did not click on the webervations link for XYZ during her search on bbonline, only when she looked at their own website.
The reason for this question is I am wanting to know IF this tracking is always going to look for a directory source first and use it or is it going to use THE source that actually captured the reservation.
The other issue that you have not addressed (unless I missed it) was what about those B&B's that are NOT listed on the directory last searched, will the source still show the last directory they visited 30 days or less ago?
And one final issue (well as of now
embaressed_smile.gif
) which I think I stated before, I do not like the use of the directory (referring source) in the subject field of the reservation. I believe that is confussing to the guest if the person did book (no matter how they got there) directly through the B&B's site. What should be there (since it can be programed to include more than Webervations...) is the B&B's name. That is what the guest will recognize.
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
) which I think I stated before, I do not like the use of the directory (referring source) in the subject field of the reservation. I believe that is confussing to the guest if the person did book (no matter how they got there) directly through the B&B's site. What should be there (since it can be programed to include more than Webervations...) is the B&B's name. That is what the guest will recognize.
I'm going to skip all of the other questions and focus on this one...does the guest get an immediate reply from Webervations that they have made a booking request? Does THAT email have what you are questioning or is it only the email that comes to YOU saying you have a rez request that shows the name of the directory in the subject field?
As far as I would be concerned, NONE of the emails should state anything in the subject line about WHAT directory 'sent' the guest. The email either you or the guest receives should say what you think...the name of the B&B or, in the case of the email to the B&B, all that needs be said is 'Reservation request pending' or some such. If the guest gets an immediate response email, THAT subject line could read: XYZ B&B Reservation Request.
If the referral is captured, it will show in the booking. It doesn't need to show in the email and confuse you or the guest.
Obviously, if you are receiving reservations from multiple sources (NOT all Webervations, but other sources as well) then you would want to know where the email came from. I think most directories have that in the subject line: Inquiry from (directory name here). But that's an inquiry, not a reservation, altho sometimes guests don't realize that.
If the referrals that are being captured are misleading, that's another issue, as you've stated.
Bree Wrote: I'm going to skip all of the other questions and focus on this one...does the guest get an immediate reply from Webervations that they have made a booking request? Does THAT email have what you are questioning or is it only the email that comes to YOU saying you have a rez request that shows the name of the directory in the subject field?
As far as I would be concerned, NONE of the emails should state anything in the subject line about WHAT directory 'sent' the guest. The email either you or the guest receives should say what you think...the name of the B&B or, in the case of the email to the B&B, all that needs be said is 'Reservation request pending' or some such. If the guest gets an immediate response email, THAT subject line could read: XYZ B&B Reservation Request.
You are 100% correct and when a guest books they are booking this B&B, and when they call because the confirmation went into the SPAM filter (which they do) I have to tell them No, it will say something like "Webervations Reservation!!"
You are correct, it does not even state the B&B name, it does not state it is a B&B reservation, We HOPE guests can figure that out.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree Wrote: I'm going to skip all of the other questions and focus on this one...does the guest get an immediate reply from Webervations that they have made a booking request? Does THAT email have what you are questioning or is it only the email that comes to YOU saying you have a rez request that shows the name of the directory in the subject field?
You are 100% correct and when a guest books they are booking this B&B, and when they call because the confirmation went into the SPAM filter (which they do) I have to tell them No, it will say something like "Webervations Reservation!!"
You are correct, it does not even state the B&B name, it does not state it is a B&B reservation, We HOPE guests can figure that out.
Is this the confirmation you send out or is this auto generated? If it's the one you send, if it's possible to change the subject line before mailing, then I would. I change the subject line of my confirmations even tho it says, 'XYZ B&B Reservation Confirmation'.
Bree said:
Is this the confirmation you send out or is this auto generated? If it's the one you send, if it's possible to change the subject line before mailing, then I would. I change the subject line of my confirmations even tho it says, 'XYZ B&B Reservation Confirmation'.
Nope it is auto generated - for 4 1/2 years I sent out my own confirmation - but finally went with the auto confirmation with all our details in it. Subject line is out of our control tho as Webervations users.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Nope it is auto generated - for 4 1/2 years I sent out my own confirmation - but finally went with the auto confirmation with all our details in it. Subject line is out of our control tho as Webervations users.
My guess is that you could complain and if enough users did complain, it could be changed to show your inn name or, at its generic best, 'Your reservation confirmation' which might work because the guest gets your inn name in the 'From' field.

Oke doke - we got to the bottom of this. Ben (our product manager) and Shane (developer) figured it out. Here is the story:
Every time someone would click on a webervations link or search on a site that David had setup to track referrals (sites like BBonline, BedandBreakfast.com, BNBFinder to name a few), three things would happen. First - it would save the IP of the person searching, second it would save the referral string (i.e. BBonline), third it would save the property webervations ID.
If the same IP address showed up again doing a search directly on the property site, the system would look and see if there was a referring site string stored (i.e. BBonline) matching the property ID stored that the IP was searching on. If there was a 3 way match, then the referring site stored would be credited with the booking. The IP address was never deleted - so if you came back a year later directly to the site, or I guess 10 years later, it would still credit the original site. This partially makes sense - in most referral scenarios, there is a period of time where the site who made the referral is recognized. For instance - in our deal with Kayak, if someone finds a B&B on Kayak, Kayak gets credit for 30 days. Same as all the sites through Commission Junction or most affiliate programs).
IF someone first went to BBonline, clicked onto a Webervations link, then went to BBcom and clicked on a Webervations link, the original referring site would be replaced with the last referring site. (which makes sense - that is how most trackers do it)
So - our plan is to put in a timestamp on this, and when we find the 3 way match, we would check to make sure the last search was within 30 days, or we would not attached any referring source. Does this make sense?.
JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
Yes - if they looked at BBonline, clicked on a link from BBonline directly to a Webervations page, we would remember that for 30 days.
If they went from BBonline to your website, then from your website to a Webervations page - then it would show up as your website.
If they looked at BBonline, clicked on a Webervations link to your Weber page, then a few days later looked on BB.com, clicked on a Weber link to your Weber page - then it would remember BB.com for 30 days - not BBonline. Make sense?
I guess my question was not clear...let me try one more time - pardon my consist questions -
Mary was researching for a possible trip this summer - she found bbonline and did some looking around including looking at ABC B&B and did click on the webervations link to check out prices and availability but she did NOT book, she was 'shopping'. Later that month (within 30 days), during a google search she finds XYZ B&B's website and goes to their webervations link and books... What will webervations show as the referring source? Note: Mary did not click on the webervations link for XYZ during her search on bbonline, only when she looked at their own website.
The reason for this question is I am wanting to know IF this tracking is always going to look for a directory source first and use it or is it going to use THE source that actually captured the reservation.
The other issue that you have not addressed (unless I missed it) was what about those B&B's that are NOT listed on the directory last searched, will the source still show the last directory they visited 30 days or less ago?
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
I'm going to skip all of the other questions and focus on this one...does the guest get an immediate reply from Webervations that they have made a booking request? Does THAT email have what you are questioning or is it only the email that comes to YOU saying you have a rez request that shows the name of the directory in the subject field?
If the referral is captured, it will show in the booking. It doesn't need to show in the email and confuse you or the guest.
Obviously, if you are receiving reservations from multiple sources (NOT all Webervations, but other sources as well) then you would want to know where the email came from. I think most directories have that in the subject line: Inquiry from (directory name here). But that's an inquiry, not a reservation, altho sometimes guests don't realize that.
If the referrals that are being captured are misleading, that's another issue, as you've stated.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
My guess is that you could complain and if enough users did complain, it could be changed to show your inn name or, at its generic best, 'Your reservation confirmation' which might work because the guest gets your inn name in the 'From' field.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I would hope that they would address ALL the email Subject line issues...They all should list OUR B&B name or at best a more generic message as Bree mentioned. - Webervations should not be in the subject line as most guests have no idea what Webervations is. Before doing these tests, I had no idea the guest was getting an email with this type of wording in the subject line. My online bookings are set as a request, so once I complete the reservation I send the confirmation to ME and then change the subject before forwarding to the guest. I have been doing this because I have found that this way the guest's email is less likely to send it to spam (not full proof for sure).

JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
I would hope that they would address ALL the email Subject line issues...They all should list OUR B&B name or at best a more generic message as Bree mentioned. - Webervations should not be in the subject line as most guests have no idea what Webervations is. Before doing these tests, I had no idea the guest was getting an email with this type of wording in the subject line. My online bookings are set as a request, so once I complete the reservation I send the confirmation to ME and then change the subject before forwarding to the guest. I have been doing this because I have found that this way the guest's email is less likely to send it to spam (not full proof for sure).
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
I have to chuckle a little bit - because Webervations has been doing this for ten years! When we purchased Webervations, I can quote numerous innkeepers saying "don't change a thing!!!"
Well... as you start looking around and digging more in the system, you are all starting to realize there things like this referral tracking that didn't make sense, or the email subject lines, or the credit card security... suffice it to say that I am sure there are a lot more that don't make sense!
I've added these to the list. I'll meet with the dev team again this week and get an idea for how hard it is to change. Can't imagine it to be too difficult - and I totally agree with you guys. We will continue to improve the product, particularly based on input like this.
I love all this feedback - please keep it coming - and don't be afraid to shoot me a direct email as well. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with each post/make sure I am getting all the points.
JB

JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
I have to chuckle a little bit - because Webervations has been doing this for ten years! When we purchased Webervations, I can quote numerous innkeepers saying "don't change a thing!!!"
Well... as you start looking around and digging more in the system, you are all starting to realize there things like this referral tracking that didn't make sense, or the email subject lines, or the credit card security... suffice it to say that I am sure there are a lot more that don't make sense!
I've added these to the list. I'll meet with the dev team again this week and get an idea for how hard it is to change. Can't imagine it to be too difficult - and I totally agree with you guys. We will continue to improve the product, particularly based on input like this.
I love all this feedback - please keep it coming - and don't be afraid to shoot me a direct email as well. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with each post/make sure I am getting all the points.
JB
JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
JB
Like I said, I used to send out this awesome html confirmation with images of the area, a little flashy fall leaf that changed colors etc, so I have been using the auto confirmation for a few years now and like them. I have my ways to get the info on there that I need.
Oddly enough, most inns provide very little info and some don't even give directions on their confirmations. So I am an information extremist. When I get the call they didn't get the confirmation - even tho I say keep an eye on your junk/spam filter inbox, they don't recognize it as <insert B&B name here>. Not a huge deal, doesn't worry me, or I would have asked about it sooner, but the subject came up.

JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
JB
John wrote: I've added these to the list. I'll meet with the dev team again this week and get an idea for how hard it is to change. Can't imagine it to be too difficult - and I totally agree with you guys. We will continue to improve the product, particularly based on input like this.
I think I speak for all of us - Thanks John for checking in to this. We look forward to hearing the outcome of the meeting in the coming week.
Regarding your statement "Webervations have been doing this for 10 years" - Wow - 10 years like this and no one noticed? In looking back at my archived reservation emails (which I do need to clean out) I will say that 90% of mine (looked back 2 years) only showed "Webervation Request", which I can now say WOW my personal website is working GREAT for me.
teeth_smile.gif
I also can say with a big frown
sad_smile.gif
, that for those that book here - the directories are not the pull that I thought.
cry_smile.gif
Boy this thread is bring out a lot of eye opening, thought inspiring issues for me.
[edited by swirt to fix the weird super narrow quoting :) ]

JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
JB
John wrote: I've added these to the list. I'll meet with the dev team again this week and get an idea for how hard it is to change. Can't imagine it to be too difficult - and I totally agree with you guys. We will continue to improve the product, particularly based on input like this.
I think I speak for all of us - Thanks John for checking in to this. We look forward to hearing the outcome of the meeting in the coming week.
Regarding your statement "Webervations have been doing this for 10 years" - Wow - 10 years like this and no one noticed? In looking back at my archived reservation emails (which I do need to clean out) I will say that 90% of mine (looked back 2 years) only showed "Webervation Request", which I can now say WOW my personal website is working GREAT for me.
teeth_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
, that for those that book here - the directories are not the pull that I thought.
cry_smile.gif
Boy this thread is bring out a lot of eye opening, thought inspiring issues for me.
Copperhead said:
teeth_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
I've said this before - if you want to get accurate tracking, you need to use something like Google Analytics. Entire companies are built around tracking - Webervations was a 1-person operation. I cannot attest to its accuracy, and right in the Webervations interface, we support entry of Google Analytics code. We don't even attempt to track web analytics on our own at Rezovation as it is hard to get them to be accurate.
To your point though - keep in mind, if you have 4 links from BBonline to your property - 3 to your homepage, and one through either an availability calendar, or a date search that goes to Webervations - then you will only see BBonline as a referrer if someone clicks on the link to Webervations through the AC or the date search. If someone comes directly to your homepage from a directory, then Webervations never sees that the person was from the directory.
This is something Google Analytics can do - track the person from directory, to your homepage, to Webervations.

JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
JB
teeth_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
teeth_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
I've said this before - if you want to get accurate tracking, you need to use something like Google Analytics. Entire companies are built around tracking - Webervations was a 1-person operation. I cannot attest to its accuracy, and right in the Webervations interface, we support entry of Google Analytics code. We don't even attempt to track web analytics on our own at Rezovation as it is hard to get them to be accurate.
To your point though - keep in mind, if you have 4 links from BBonline to your property - 3 to your homepage, and one through either an availability calendar, or a date search that goes to Webervations - then you will only see BBonline as a referrer if someone clicks on the link to Webervations through the AC or the date search. If someone comes directly to your homepage from a directory, then Webervations never sees that the person was from the directory.
This is something Google Analytics can do - track the person from directory, to your homepage, to Webervations.
John wrote: I've said this before - if you want to get accurate tracking, you need to use something like Google Analytics. Entire companies are built around tracking - Webervations was a 1-person operation. I cannot attest to its accuracy,
John, I never said I didn't use another tracking software...I have always had tracking on my site. This tread just had me looking at the history of my reservations and got me to thinking ---
I just am pointing out what Webervations is showing! We all know that there are bunches of Innkeepers that have no such tracking and would rely on what Webervations, and all directory stats tell them and take them as fact.
Yes, I knew that Webervations was a 1 person opperation before it was purchaes as Willie had moved on sometime in early '08 - I believe. And I was unaware that (David) was still 'on staff' ...as you stated in your earlier post of this thread:
John wrote (node 34296) - "In terms of service levels - we kept every Webervations employee on staff. It is the same folks you have always dealt with. They are a bit flooded right now ..."
[edited by swirt to remove ultranarrow quote formatting ...not sure where it keeps coming from]

JBanczak said:
Copperhead said:
JBanczak said:
embaressed_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Copperhead said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Hey gang,
JB
teeth_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
teeth_smile.gif
sad_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
John wrote: I've said this before - if you want to get accurate tracking, you need to use something like Google Analytics. Entire companies are built around tracking - Webervations was a 1-person operation. I cannot attest to its accuracy,
John, I never said I didn't use another tracking software...I have always had tracking on my site. This tread just had me looking at the history of my reservations and got me to thinking ---
I just am pointing out what Webervations is showing! We all know that there are bunches of Innkeepers that have no such tracking and would rely on what Webervations, and all directory stats tell them and take them as fact.
Yes, I knew that Webervations was a 1 person opperation before it was purchaes as Willie had moved on sometime in early '08 - I believe. And I was unaware that (David) was still 'on staff' ...as you stated in your earlier post of this thread:
John wrote (node 34296) - "In terms of service levels - we kept every Webervations employee on staff. It is the same folks you have always dealt with. They are a bit flooded right now ..."
[edited by swirt to remove ultranarrow quote formatting ...not sure where it keeps coming from]
Copperhead said:
Sorry - I should have been more clear on who the staff was. David is still consulting with us for a period of time - but we kept his staff. He is on to doing other things - in fact he just got back from his first vacation in a decade! Well-deserved. (I always thought of him being the owner, not staff).
We do talk to David relatively frequently and he is always a great help, and as you guys know a great guy.

A used a quite newly started booking system for my mum which worked really good. It's www.bookingbutler.co.uk. I haven't tested the one you're using but if it's problems with it this one's on a free trial for one month.

A used a quite newly started booking system for my mum which worked really good. It's www.bookingbutler.co.uk. I haven't tested the one you're using but if it's problems with it this one's on a free trial for one month..
hmmm this was a reply to the first message in this thread by the way..

A used a quite newly started booking system for my mum which worked really good. It's www.bookingbutler.co.uk. I haven't tested the one you're using but if it's problems with it this one's on a free trial for one month..
Hi Matsgeorg,
Welcome to Innspiring.com
A used a quite newly started booking system for my mum which worked really good. It's www.bookingbutler.co.uk.
Vendors are asked to operate in plain view and not make it sound like you are not the owner of this service.

Back