Webervations lack of V Code

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card..
InnsiderInfo said:
Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card.
RezOvation does not actually store the CVV, but CVV can be collected from the consumer if transmitted immediately for the purpose of verifying the card. RezOvation is a fully certified payment application - you can go back later and view the cc number if you like, but not the CVV - that is instantly transmitted then discarded per the PCI rules.
So if the guest at check-out says "Just put the balance on my card on file", if I don't physically swipe the card or get the CVV code from the customer, it will get processed as a non-swipe transaction?
InnsiderInfo said:
So if the guest at check-out says "Just put the balance on my card on file", if I don't physically swipe the card or get the CVV code from the customer, it will get processed as a non-swipe transaction?
I thought anything that was not physically swiped was processed as a non-swipe transaction.
Riki
I did too, but Rezovation is telling me that if I manually key in the number and the CVV and click "Swiped" transaction, it gets processed at the lower rate. We are to the point with all of our phone reservations that we request the CVV number, as additional insurance in case of a charge back. I'm confused!
InnsiderInfo said:
I did too, but Rezovation is telling me that if I manually key in the number and the CVV and click "Swiped" transaction, it gets processed at the lower rate. We are to the point with all of our phone reservations that we request the CVV number, as additional insurance in case of a charge back. I'm confused!
Who is telling you that here?
Wow, I am completely astonished that you would use a comment that I made here (an an ANONYMOUS poster) to do some sleuthing. You should know that it is actions like these that leave me extremely hesitant to place the trust in BedandBreakfast.com that others on this forum seem to have.
My post earlier was in relation to my own confusion as to the function and usefulness of even asking for CVV info, NOT on the functionality of Rezovation...I was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I find your actions disturbing, and your very presence here on these boards a nuisance. This is supposed to be a forum for innkeepers to openly and frankly discuss their experiences and share information. At best I find your posts an attempt to be enlightening, and at worst (and far more often) blatant sales pitches that I am frankly surprised are tolerated.
Swirt, I will be leaving the forum immediately. If you would like to discuss this incident with me privately please email me at the contact info you have.
was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I find your actions disturbing, and your very presence here on these boards a nuisance. This is supposed to be a forum for innkeepers to openly and frankly discuss their experiences and share information. At best I find your posts an attempt to be enlightening, and at worst (and far more often) blatant sales pitches that I am frankly surprised are tolerated.
Swirt, I will be leaving the forum immediately. If you would like to discuss this incident with me privately please email me at the contact info you have.
I am sorry, I have backtracked and see nothing to indicate anyone did any sleuthing. I have no idea who you are - no reason to care actually about who is who. As one who has climbed the back of bandb several times to the point the head honcho ripped me a new one - at least twice - I have found John to try to be helpful as he of couse, shills for the company - that is his job, no jab intended John.
I took his question to be asking about misinformation being given to correct it, not to get someone in trouble. If I had an employee who was giving incorrect info, i would want to correct it for the sake of the employee and the company and to ensure my employees gave factual information. I am sorry if you feel threatened in any way.
I'm just a lurking observer (and intrested party) but I too am confused by this response.
smiley-confused004.gif
This subject matter is already confusing enough for a newbie trying to wade the waters of credit card processing, b&b.com, and online reservations. Please don't make it even more confusing.
Proud Texan said:
I'm just a lurking observer (and intrested party) but I too am confused by this response.
smiley-confused004.gif
This subject matter is already confusing enough for a newbie trying to wade the waters of credit card processing, b&b.com, and online reservations. Please don't make it even more confusing.
The confusion on my part continues - this response showed up in my inbox as a reply to one of my posts. Did you need me to clarify something? I'm getting lost in the sequence here.

I'm so lost on the subjects of reservations and credit cards, that I don't even know what questions to ask! I need to get a reservation system and credit card system by the end of the week. Could someone please give some advice the might help.
help.gif

Thanks!

I'm so lost on the subjects of reservations and credit cards, that I don't even know what questions to ask! I need to get a reservation system and credit card system by the end of the week. Could someone please give some advice the might help.
help.gif

Thanks!.
I think you should start by doing some searches on this forum as there are several systems but are not all alike so there is no comparing apples to apples you mix in some oranges and grapefruit as well. Also look under the resources tab as some vendors have provided information there. I think it comes down to what type of system you want to have and what price you are willing to pay to get it.
Regarding your credit card processor, I think there is a vendor listed under resources that several properties use. This has always been a confusing issue with me. When you are checking them out, many will say they can beat their competitors...you must look at ALL the fees as well as the cost to process. I would also check them out online regarding any possible disbutes.
Good luck and take your time do not jump in until you know what you are jumping in to.

Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card..
InnsiderInfo said:
Ok, I just this morning got set up with Rezovation GTO, and the input screen does ask for CVV, and supposedly it will be stored until the time I tell it to delete the cc info. Is this only if you are using QuickBooks cc processing? It makes a huge difference, I was told that inputting the CVV serves to make the transaction the same level of security as if you are swiping the card.
RezOvation does not actually store the CVV, but CVV can be collected from the consumer if transmitted immediately for the purpose of verifying the card. RezOvation is a fully certified payment application - you can go back later and view the cc number if you like, but not the CVV - that is instantly transmitted then discarded per the PCI rules.
InnsiderInfo said:
I thought anything that was not physically swiped was processed as a non-swipe transaction.
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
Wow, I am completely astonished that you would use a comment that I made here (an an ANONYMOUS poster) to do some sleuthing. You should know that it is actions like these that leave me extremely hesitant to place the trust in BedandBreakfast.com that others on this forum seem to have.
My post earlier was in relation to my own confusion as to the function and usefulness of even asking for CVV info, NOT on the functionality of Rezovation...I was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I, like the others, am completely confused about what incident you are talking about. You've been asking about RezovationGTO for a while and got great answers from both Sandy and John and I am not sure what sleuthing and hot water you are talking about.
The way I read your earlier post it sounded to me like you suggested that you were getting bad information from rezovation and John apparently was trying to determine what was said and if any of his people were giving out incorrect informaton for the forum clarity as well as addressing any issues internally. As a leader of a development group, he has to do that kind of thing or he wouldn't keep his job for long.
John has always opperated above board here and provided very useful information. This forum (and before that on About) has also contributed to several changes that John and his group have implemented making a positive impact for other innkeepers. He is welcome here as the impact on both sides (innkeeper / vendor) has been generally win-win.

ummmm, forgive me, what's a "vcode"?.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
ummmm, forgive me, what's a "vcode"?
The v-code is the security code on the credit card. It is the 3 numbers just past the cc numbers on the signature line. 4 numbers on one or two, I think Amex. It has been required to make online or phone transactions, it is proof you have the card in your possession, you didn't steal the cc # out of the trash or elsewhere.
Webervations had it set up that you could request this as mandatory proof when they input their cc # and exp date. My cc processor required this on ALL non-swiped cards, the rcpt printed out online/phone sale.

help.gif

Thanks!.
When comparing the costs of accepting credit cards, I use the following formula. Take the maximum likely amount in credit card sales you will do and divide it by your average sale amount to get the NUMBER of individual sales...you will need all of this information to compare. For instance, $5,000 per month divided by an average sale of $250.00 = 20 sales per month.
All processors charge a "discount fee", or percentage of the sale and will often try to entice you with a superficially low number. But, they may also charge you a per-transaction fee, a monthly gateway fee AND equipment rental or leasing fees among others. I use the above formula on paper to compare what I currently have with whatever someone else is offering, and no one has been able to beat what I have yet.
If you find a company that seems to offer the best deal, I would ask about them here or google them to see what others are saying about them. It's an important decision to make, as you are putting your company's important financial information in their hands, including your banking information.

InnsiderInfo said:
InnsiderInfo said:
Riki
InnsiderInfo said:
was hoping some of the other experienced Rezovation users on this forum might be able to explain how they have used the function. Instead it seems I have gotten a completely helpful employee into hot water.
I am sorry, I have backtracked and see nothing to indicate anyone did any sleuthing. I have no idea who you are - no reason to care actually about who is who. As one who has climbed the back of bandb several times to the point the head honcho ripped me a new one - at least twice - I have found John to try to be helpful as he of couse, shills for the company - that is his job, no jab intended John.
I took his question to be asking about misinformation being given to correct it, not to get someone in trouble. If I had an employee who was giving incorrect info, i would want to correct it for the sake of the employee and the company and to ensure my employees gave factual information. I am sorry if you feel threatened in any way.
smiley-confused004.gif
Proud Texan said:
smiley-confused004.gif
The confusion on my part continues - this response showed up in my inbox as a reply to one of my posts. Did you need me to clarify something? I'm getting lost in the sequence here.
JBanczak said:
Proud Texan said:
smiley-confused004.gif
I was just responding to the strange response of the previous message.

So the only way to get the vcode is from a phone call or of course in person which negates the need for it.
I guess I am tired of all the hand holding for guests lately. It seems the clearer I make things the more difficult it is for them to "get it."
Her husband was in a diff time zone and she didn't want to call and wake him. I am just running on little patience with this stuff lately. Guest stuff. Stupid stuff like bringing a credit card to pay for your room, keeping the front door closed in 93 degree weather when the a/c is pumpin' it's heart out.
shades_smile.gif
Your guest had a bunch of ways to tell you she can't come up with the credit card info. Makes you wonder, doesn't it, if this was a way for them to see a way to try and get out of paying.
OMG you are so right. It isn't even July yet and I have had the stupidest guests already. I have had my fill for the season. How are we all getting through the summer?
It astounds me how many people think that making a reservation with a credit card means it's paid for at that time. Don't they travel?

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
The v-code is the security code on the credit card. It is the 3 numbers just past the cc numbers on the signature line. 4 numbers on one or two, I think Amex. It has been required to make online or phone transactions, it is proof you have the card in your possession, you didn't steal the cc # out of the trash or elsewhere.
Webervations had it set up that you could request this as mandatory proof when they input their cc # and exp date. My cc processor required this on ALL non-swiped cards, the rcpt printed out online/phone sale.
Joe Bloggs said:
My cc processor required this on ALL non-swiped cards, the rcpt printed out online/phone sale.
I forget the details on this for you. Did you have to call to get that requirement changed or did they have to reconfigure your cc terminal?

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Joe Bloggs said:
My cc processor required this on ALL non-swiped cards, the rcpt printed out online/phone sale.
I forget the details on this for you. Did you have to call to get that requirement changed or did they have to reconfigure your cc terminal?
swirt said:
Joe Bloggs said:
I had to call and make it so if I input the card details manually, it asks for the v-code, and if I don't have it I hit ENTER then it asks for address info etc.

And while we are at it, we will be launching another new set of credit card security features in Webervations. This will mimic what we have in Rezo GT for the most part. The added features are auto-delete/masking settings for credit card numbers. Innkeepers will now be able to rest assured that their customers credit card data is not being stored any longer than they want. There will be two choices - to delete X number of days after entering the number, or X number of days after a guest checks-out. The delete function will get rid of (X-out) the first 12 digits of the card and keep the last four permanently for reference. One of the key parts of PCI compliance is only holding card data for as long as is necessary, and this function will enable innkeepers to be sure that they are doing just that. As I said, we've had this in Rezo for a while, and in fact at Rezo we have only been backing up the last 4 digits of credit cards offsite for almost four years now to keep liability low, but Webervations did not have a standard for this.
This will go live in the next week or so, and every customer will receive an email directly about it.

And while we are at it, we will be launching another new set of credit card security features in Webervations. This will mimic what we have in Rezo GT for the most part. The added features are auto-delete/masking settings for credit card numbers. Innkeepers will now be able to rest assured that their customers credit card data is not being stored any longer than they want. There will be two choices - to delete X number of days after entering the number, or X number of days after a guest checks-out. The delete function will get rid of (X-out) the first 12 digits of the card and keep the last four permanently for reference. One of the key parts of PCI compliance is only holding card data for as long as is necessary, and this function will enable innkeepers to be sure that they are doing just that. As I said, we've had this in Rezo for a while, and in fact at Rezo we have only been backing up the last 4 digits of credit cards offsite for almost four years now to keep liability low, but Webervations did not have a standard for this.
This will go live in the next week or so, and every customer will receive an email directly about it..
Thanks John, that will be one less thing for my simple mind to do each week :))))

Jo Bloggs said:
So tell me again why we cannot access the vcode on webervations? Because it is required to make the reservation but not to be held in the system?
My mother-daughter guests just came to check out and she did not have her credit card. She said "I thought we already paid for it when I gave you the credit card details online?" I told her that was to hold the room, not pay for them (which of course my policies state clearly).
She had put in her husband's credit card details, I have no vcode on file. I have no credit card to swipe. Do I trust them? I guess I have to, don't I.
I am not very pleased and hope I don't get stuck with a high fee,
I am still confused over this. For many years I have taken reservations using credit cards with expiration dates and cvv codes.
So my question is :
Is it or is it not illegal to take the C V V code during a reservation and keep it on file with the reservation?

Jo Bloggs said:
So tell me again why we cannot access the vcode on webervations? Because it is required to make the reservation but not to be held in the system?
My mother-daughter guests just came to check out and she did not have her credit card. She said "I thought we already paid for it when I gave you the credit card details online?" I told her that was to hold the room, not pay for them (which of course my policies state clearly).
She had put in her husband's credit card details, I have no vcode on file. I have no credit card to swipe. Do I trust them? I guess I have to, don't I.
I am still confused over this. For many years I have taken reservations using credit cards with expiration dates and cvv codes.
So my question is :
Is it or is it not illegal to take the C V V code during a reservation and keep it on file with the reservation?.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Jo Bloggs said:
So my question is :
Is it or is it not illegal to take the C V V code during a reservation and keep it on file with the reservation?
It is completely legal to take it - but it cannot be stored in any way. If it is taken - it must be used only to process immediately (i.e. you key it in your terminal, or a software product transmits it to the processor right away and does not store it).

Jo Bloggs said:
So my question is :
Is it or is it not illegal to take the C V V code during a reservation and keep it on file with the reservation?.
Jo Bloggs said:
So my question is :
It is completely legal to take it - but it cannot be stored in any way. If it is taken - it must be used only to process immediately (i.e. you key it in your terminal, or a software product transmits it to the processor right away and does not store it).
John,
I'm using RezOvation 2004.5.6 Are you saying that I need to go back and remove all credit card information from thousands of reservations stored in the program????

Jo Bloggs said:
So my question is :
Jo Bloggs said:
So my question is :
John,
I'm using RezOvation 2004.5.6 Are you saying that I need to go back and remove all credit card information from thousands of reservations stored in the program????
Breakfast Diva said:
John,
You should have an auto purge button. My pc software has it. My online does it automatically.

Back