Webervations sold

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to point out that the people involved with the Munsenware Guest Tracker decision are no longer with the company. Since I've been running the company we built an entirely new system based on the User Interface of Guest Tracker, with a lot of modern enhancements - the list of which is way too long to include here. That is RezOvation GT. We've also lowered the price on it to below what Munsenware Guest Tracker was a decade ago.
So I understand the frustration some may have with things that went on five or more years ago, but I feel like we have come a long way from that point, and it is ancient history. Munsenware Guest Tracker users thus far have been thrilled with the product.
In any case though, since somewhat brought this up already in an earlier post, what do people think is a "fair" price for Webervations 1.0 is? I'm not talking about new Webervations, but Webervations 1.0? I would certainly like to hear what folks think that should be.
And it seems that no matter what the price is - the impression I am getting is that people are leaving the product they have used for years, just because it is part of the "giant" company now. Is that really going to be the case if we have a "fair" price on the product - AND improve it?

I would like to point out that the people involved with the Munsenware Guest Tracker decision are no longer with the company. Since I've been running the company we built an entirely new system based on the User Interface of Guest Tracker, with a lot of modern enhancements - the list of which is way too long to include here. That is RezOvation GT. We've also lowered the price on it to below what Munsenware Guest Tracker was a decade ago.
So I understand the frustration some may have with things that went on five or more years ago, but I feel like we have come a long way from that point, and it is ancient history. Munsenware Guest Tracker users thus far have been thrilled with the product.
In any case though, since somewhat brought this up already in an earlier post, what do people think is a "fair" price for Webervations 1.0 is? I'm not talking about new Webervations, but Webervations 1.0? I would certainly like to hear what folks think that should be.
And it seems that no matter what the price is - the impression I am getting is that people are leaving the product they have used for years, just because it is part of the "giant" company now. Is that really going to be the case if we have a "fair" price on the product - AND improve it?.
JBanczak said:
And it seems that no matter what the price is - the impression I am getting is that people are leaving the product they have used for years, just because it is part of the "giant" company now. Is that really going to be the case if we have a "fair" price on the product - AND improve it?
Thank you for asking...
I am one who has been on webervations and hesitated to get the new version until the glitches were ironed out. (I can say that being an innkeeper and mean it - IRON OUT THOSE BLASTED GLITCHES!)
I am also not an old gheezer who doesn't have a clue. I know that technology changes AND IMPROVES and we need to update and upgrade, if for no other than reason than security and keeping everything insync on line. Otherwise we would all be on 8086 still!
I am waiting since I am with weberv, but have my options open. Being a small B&B, I can't afford astronomical rates and would actually prefer a pay per use if it is reasonable vs pay annually.
But what I don't want - I may have said, is an all-in-one where we lose hands on control right here. I will compare it to an all-in-one fax-copier-scanner-printer or a tv-dvd-vhs-combo - - I don't shop that way. I don't live that way. If I want a new printer I want to buy only that, not the whole shebang.
So this is where I am. If I were new and just opening I might think otherwise and want the whole-ball-of-wax re online reservations to just step right into it.

And it seems that no matter what the price is - the impression I am getting is that people are leaving the product they have used for years, just because it is part of the "giant" company now. Is that really going to be the case if we have a "fair" price on the product - AND improve it?.
John,
I have not said I am leaving Webervations. That is why I asked about being required to be on the Directory. It is my hope that Webervations be left as an option available (meaning affordable) to small inns. I am not saying no to a rate increase - it is business - but it is my hope that it will be small and that you will make your profit in volume rather than percentage. I do not need a lot of bells and whistles just a basic option for someone to make a reservation at 2am or for someone to go in and book it online to get the room out of inventory it I am not able to get to a computer for a while - both are scenarios I have experienced.
I am leaving the Directory when my membership expires in February because I cannot afford it with just three rooms. Webervations, unless there is a drastic change, will probably remain as a tool that I use.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
I am one who has been on webervations and hesitated to get the new version until the glitches were ironed out. (I can say that being an innkeeper and mean it - IRON OUT THOSE BLASTED GLITCHES!)
I am also not an old gheezer who doesn't have a clue. I know that technology changes AND IMPROVES and we need to update and upgrade, if for no other than reason than security and keeping everything insync on line. Otherwise we would all be on 8086 still!
I am waiting since I am with weberv, but have my options open. Being a small B&B, I can't afford astronomical rates and would actually prefer a pay per use if it is reasonable vs pay annually.
But what I don't want - I may have said, is an all-in-one where we lose hands on control right here. I will compare it to an all-in-one fax-copier-scanner-printer or a tv-dvd-vhs-combo - - I don't shop that way. I don't live that way. If I want a new printer I want to buy only that, not the whole shebang.
So this is where I am. If I were new and just opening I might think otherwise and want the whole-ball-of-wax re online reservations to just step right into it.
Or a Commodore 64! We will definitely be ironing out those glitches. We are working with the team there to get a thorough list of everything we need to get started on.
I'm not sure what you mean about losing hands-on control though. Can you further explain that?
Any advice on a fair price for Webervations 1.0?

John,
I have not said I am leaving Webervations. That is why I asked about being required to be on the Directory. It is my hope that Webervations be left as an option available (meaning affordable) to small inns. I am not saying no to a rate increase - it is business - but it is my hope that it will be small and that you will make your profit in volume rather than percentage. I do not need a lot of bells and whistles just a basic option for someone to make a reservation at 2am or for someone to go in and book it online to get the room out of inventory it I am not able to get to a computer for a while - both are scenarios I have experienced.
I am leaving the Directory when my membership expires in February because I cannot afford it with just three rooms. Webervations, unless there is a drastic change, will probably remain as a tool that I use.
Webervations 1.0 will certainly still work out for you then. There is no way we would ever require Webervations users to be on BedandBreakfast.com. We also do not intend to put a lot of bells and whistles into Webervations 1.0. So far the feedback on what it needs has been great. Things like "make it so the calendar can be advanced" is the exact type of product improvement that doesn't change the way it works for a property, it just makes it a heck of a lot friendlier for a consumer. I'd expect there will be a bunch of improvements like that where properties will not have to learn anything new/do anything different - but they will like the product better.
Do you have any thoughts on what a fair price should be?

John,
Webervations 1.0 will certainly still work out for you then. There is no way we would ever require Webervations users to be on BedandBreakfast.com. We also do not intend to put a lot of bells and whistles into Webervations 1.0. So far the feedback on what it needs has been great. Things like "make it so the calendar can be advanced" is the exact type of product improvement that doesn't change the way it works for a property, it just makes it a heck of a lot friendlier for a consumer. I'd expect there will be a bunch of improvements like that where properties will not have to learn anything new/do anything different - but they will like the product better.
Of course I do but am I going to say it? Of course not. That is like walking into an ad agency and saying I have $500 to spend. How much will it cost me to......? Why that will be $500! or what ever amount he said. Whe nyou raise the price, I just hope it is not a drastic increase.

John - I don't have any personal experience with Guest Tracker nor its transition into bandb.com, so I absolutely can't speak to that. What I can tell you is that some innkeepers who went through that experience were unhappy with it and are now hearing the same kind of 'promises' about Webervations, and they aren't buying it. As for me personally - I lost my trust in bandb.com with the five-day notice on increasing gift card commissions. I'm not interested in beating any of those dead horses, but realize those are just a few of the reasons why you are not welcomed with open arms.
Maybe you shouldn't improve Webervations 1.0, other than what you need to do for security, and then the price should stay under $100 a year flat rate. If innkeepers want more - like some of the items Webervations 2.0 offers - then make an intermediate package between 1.0 and Rezovations GT and price it accordingly, with an annual flat rate rather than a commission or transaction based fee. If all you are going to do is make Webervations 2.0 look like Rezovation, you might be better off just offering some introductory or conversion rates for existing Webervations customers (especially those who went to 2.0, like me).
Just my thoughts

John,
Of course I do but am I going to say it? Of course not. That is like walking into an ad agency and saying I have $500 to spend. How much will it cost me to......? Why that will be $500! or what ever amount he said. Whe nyou raise the price, I just hope it is not a drastic increase.
Good point... I guess I asked because I saw someone post a price they thought would be fair, and I honestly would like some feedback. I do think our pricing at RezO has been very fair - and whatever happens with price, I'd like for people to think it is fair from day one. It seems everyone thinks some price increase is fair, so I'd love to figure that out some ballparks.
Anyone else that has feedback on it, it would be greatly appreciated!

John B worte: "And it seems that no matter what the price is - the impression I am getting is that people are leaving the product they have used for years, just because it is part of the "giant" company now. Is that really going to be the case if we have a "fair" price on the product - AND improve it?"
No, I will not leave Webervations just because it has become part of the giant! I do not plan on droping Webervations as long as it continues to serve my needs at a price that I can afford. Yes, I liked David and got great service from him but I did not start using Webervations because of David, I did so because it met my needs at an affordable price.
You keep asking what the price should be, I can not answer that as I have no way of knowing the costs involved in keeping this system going or adding the necessary security updates. But I will ask you to think of all of us little B&B's with a limited income when you are pushing your pencil to the paper with all the figures. Many chose Webervations because it was the best bang for the buck, so to speak. It handles the needs of innkeepers with small budgets. For me there is not the option of building another room to rent or adding a restaurant or gift shop as I am at my permit limits here. So my hope would be that you would consider making your profit in numbers rather than raising the rate too much

JBanczak said:
Like Copperhead said, I have no intention of switching from Webervations at this point, especially as you've said I won't have to join B&B.com to use it. I have four rooms and, as CH said, cannot significantly grow my income.
I'm ultra-frugal and almost everything comes down to price. Webervations does what I need for less than $100 a year. I've only called Tech Support once and now that it's in place see no reason to fool with something that works.
As far as pricing, I strongly prefer a set fee over a commission, and as low of one as possible. $100 sounds OK (not great, but I know prices go up and things need changed). $500 is definitely way too much.
To put it another way, I have what I need for less than $100. Why should I have to pay way more for extra features that I don't need? And if the other guy could do it for under $100, why should it cost you (with all your resources) significantly more to operate? The key word here is "significantly." A little more, well, prices go up and a little at a time is much better than a 50% increase.
=)
Kk.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
Or a Commodore 64! We will definitely be ironing out those glitches. We are working with the team there to get a thorough list of everything we need to get started on.
I'm not sure what you mean about losing hands-on control though. Can you further explain that?
JBanczak said:
My concern like many is that it will be an all-in-one, like I said. Instead of a 'stand alone' as it currently is, part of a package now that BandB.com owns it. This could be packaged well to sell, don't get me wrong, with your listing. But "Eric's vision of a one-stop-suite of products." This is the 'microsoft' concept that I think the majority of innkeeper's find issue. Let's call it the mac vs pc theology.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Then of course, with a product with so many more features that is more top of the line - down the road the webervations will become obsolete, so will we be coerced/convinced into a package that is RezOvations? Which is what $699 for a single license plus $250 annual technical support. This is way way way way way way out of my proce range. The $80 for weberv was IN MY PRICE RANGE. I would be willing to pay $80-150 to keep webervations. This is where, I am guessing innkeepers are concerned. We just cannot afford the Rezo and will be forced to look at other options. Simpler options. I understand the costs involved in this technology. But we cannot afford it. It is not that we don't want to pay it, we cannot afford it.
Hope that makes sense.

In my mind...if you keep Webervations version 1 as is..with maybe some minor fixes and adjustments. The most I would pay is $100. Any more than that and my small size B & B's and cabin owners...cannot afford it...and they do not need bells and whistles. The basics work just fine.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
JBanczak said:
My concern like many is that it will be an all-in-one, like I said. Instead of a 'stand alone' as it currently is, part of a package now that BandB.com owns it. This could be packaged well to sell, don't get me wrong, with your listing. But "Eric's vision of a one-stop-suite of products." This is the 'microsoft' concept that I think the majority of innkeeper's find issue. Let's call it the mac vs pc theology.

Then of course, with a product with so many more features that is more top of the line - down the road the webervations will become obsolete, so will we be coerced/convinced into a package that is RezOvations? Which is what $699 for a single license plus $250 annual technical support. This is way way way way way way out of my proce range. The $80 for weberv was IN MY PRICE RANGE. I would be willing to pay $80-150 to keep webervations. This is where, I am guessing innkeepers are concerned. We just cannot afford the Rezo and will be forced to look at other options. Simpler options. I understand the costs involved in this technology. But we cannot afford it. It is not that we don't want to pay it, we cannot afford it.
Hope that makes sense.
Hi JBJ -
The pricing on RezO was changed years ago. We no longer charge anything up-front if you do some type of suppport/booking engine/webervations. For instance - the price for a 1-4 room inn, to use the full version of RezO GT with all features including offsite real-time backup, unlimited suport, etc. - is $30/month - and that includes your Webervations fees.... If you want to use our booking engine, it is more, but we do hook it up to a cc processor, fully authorize and run the card, etc. To use our booking engine, it is $50/month for a 1-4 room property. That also includes your Webervations fees so you can link up to your association directly while using our BE on your site. You can also buy the software and never speak to us again for only $199. All of these prices have been dramatically lowered since I took over managing the company. They are lower than even the original Munsenware Guest Tracker for a much better program.
On the one-stop suite, I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder. I hear from so many innkeepers that they don't have enough time in the day. At the same time I hear them tell me about how they spend up to hours/day hand entering things into this program or that, because this program doesn't work with another, this one doesn't connect, my cc machine is stand-alone, my res system doesn't link to Quickbooks, doesn't link to my state association, doesn't link to BB.com. We try to solve that problem - and we hear from innkeepers all the time that we do. And we do it pretty rock-bottom pricing. $30/month for GT and Webervations combined is less expensive than any other product out there that I know of - and it is all linked together to save time, which no other product can do. That is very appealing to a lot of people.
But there are hundreds of properties using at least 5-6 other systems in the marketplace. I understand the fear that we are going to become the only choice in the market place, but I just don't see that happening. I don't see the other PMS providers going away any time soon.

Thanks - that is good feedback everyone - appreciate it.
Question on cabin operations - I don't have a lot of experience with them. Can someone point me to a few good examples of Webervations customers that I might be able to reach out to/would be willing to give me some feedback? You can email me offline if you prefer.
If not, that is okay - I have the customer list and go through it, but thought I would check first.

JBanczak said:
Like Copperhead said, I have no intention of switching from Webervations at this point, especially as you've said I won't have to join B&B.com to use it. I have four rooms and, as CH said, cannot significantly grow my income.
I'm ultra-frugal and almost everything comes down to price. Webervations does what I need for less than $100 a year. I've only called Tech Support once and now that it's in place see no reason to fool with something that works.
As far as pricing, I strongly prefer a set fee over a commission, and as low of one as possible. $100 sounds OK (not great, but I know prices go up and things need changed). $500 is definitely way too much.
To put it another way, I have what I need for less than $100. Why should I have to pay way more for extra features that I don't need? And if the other guy could do it for under $100, why should it cost you (with all your resources) significantly more to operate? The key word here is "significantly." A little more, well, prices go up and a little at a time is much better than a 50% increase.
=)
Kk.
... And if the other guy could do it for under $100, why should it cost you (with all your resources) significantly more to operate?
I think this is the hard part to see. He really couldn't do it for under $100, it crushed him. He ended up messing with it largely by himself because he couldn't afford to hire help. He wasn't using development techniques that are standard practice for web application developers. The stalled rollout to version 2 was a mess that shouldn't have happened if he could have hired programmers and database developers to do it right. If nobody stepped up to buy it, the whole thing very probably would have folded.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
JBanczak said:

Hope that makes sense.
Hi JBJ -
The pricing on RezO was changed years ago. We no longer charge anything up-front if you do some type of suppport/booking engine/webervations. For instance - the price for a 1-4 room inn, to use the full version of RezO GT with all features including offsite real-time backup, unlimited suport, etc. - is $30/month - and that includes your Webervations fees.... If you want to use our booking engine, it is more, but we do hook it up to a cc processor, fully authorize and run the card, etc. To use our booking engine, it is $50/month for a 1-4 room property. That also includes your Webervations fees so you can link up to your association directly while using our BE on your site. You can also buy the software and never speak to us again for only $199. All of these prices have been dramatically lowered since I took over managing the company. They are lower than even the original Munsenware Guest Tracker for a much better program.
On the one-stop suite, I guess it really is in the eye of the beholder. I hear from so many innkeepers that they don't have enough time in the day. At the same time I hear them tell me about how they spend up to hours/day hand entering things into this program or that, because this program doesn't work with another, this one doesn't connect, my cc machine is stand-alone, my res system doesn't link to Quickbooks, doesn't link to my state association, doesn't link to BB.com. We try to solve that problem - and we hear from innkeepers all the time that we do. And we do it pretty rock-bottom pricing. $30/month for GT and Webervations combined is less expensive than any other product out there that I know of - and it is all linked together to save time, which no other product can do. That is very appealing to a lot of people.
But there are hundreds of properties using at least 5-6 other systems in the marketplace. I understand the fear that we are going to become the only choice in the market place, but I just don't see that happening. I don't see the other PMS providers going away any time soon.
JBanczak said:
Hi JBJ -
Talk to me about 6 rooms...I am listening.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
JBanczak said:

Hope that makes sense.
Hi JBJ -
JBanczak said:
Hi JBJ -
Suggest starting a new thread with questions on Rezovation. I know Penelope had questions about it too.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
JBanczak said:

Hope that makes sense.
Hi JBJ -
JBanczak said:
Hi JBJ -
5-9 rooms is just $10 more/month. So for 6 roomer you are at $40/month for everything including your webervations account. Also - I should be clear that this includes Webervations 1.0 - but if you are using GT there would be no reason to have Webervations 2.0. The pricing is:
1-4 rooms - GT and Webervations: $30
5-9: $40
10-19: $50
20-29: $60
30-39: $70
Again - you get all features of GT. There is no additional charge to use the auto pre-arrival emails, or the auto post-stay emails, or the birthday emails. There are additional fees for credit card processing of course - not much I can do about that - but the only additional fees are the actual cc processing fees and those in total costs are lower than I've seen from anyone else - barely... Tom is about the same - but they are good rates. The software has all the functionality in it and it takes a couple days to get approved/up-running.

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
JBanczak said:

Hope that makes sense.
Hi JBJ -
JBanczak said:
Hi JBJ -
Suggest starting a new thread with questions on Rezovation. I know Penelope had questions about it too.
Do you want me to start it?

JBanczak said:
Thank you for asking...
JBanczak said:

Hope that makes sense.
Hi JBJ -
JBanczak said:
Hi JBJ -
Do you want me to start it?
I think JBJ just created it. ;)

Back