Webervations - three digit security cod

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are not required to collect that code in order to run the card. You might look at a processor that does not require it.
Or, challenge your processor to make it so that you don't need the code. If you cannot store it, they should not require you get it..
Ditto ,same as Morticia....not required here..Mary in Bridgewater
Mary, if you don't mind my asking, who is your processor? So many people recommend Tom that I wonder what they all are doing about this...
RIki
We have our processing through Tom, and our program does not require us to enter the code, ever. Occasionally I am asked for the zip code but even that is rare. If I choose 'card not present' I am not asked any other information, but I'm sure I am charged the higher rate at that point.
muirford said:
We have our processing through Tom, and our program does not require us to enter the code, ever. Occasionally I am asked for the zip code but even that is rare. If I choose 'card not present' I am not asked any other information, but I'm sure I am charged the higher rate at that point.
I think so - and it could be because we have a newer processor. I think one older one we have for the one business requires it and the other older one for the other business does not. Someone else said they bypass it by just hitting "return" and it goes through. Others say the just put in any three numbers and it goes through.
What Tom is saying is that all the reservation systems were designed years ago when none of this was required. The day is coming when they will all have to be redesigned when this will become required.
They are getting by right now by saying it's illegal to collect and store which is true. But it's not illegal to collect only to use for processing.
So, I have to figure out if I'm going to bite the bullet now or later. It may depend if we get the loan to build the wing this year.That would make it a no-brainer. Do the change now.
I'm lucky I've been getting by with one free system for the tours for 7 years and Webervations for the B&B for 2. Resnex is actually not expensive for taking the two. It's just that I'm trying to keep my expenses DOWN right now.
RIki
What Tom is saying is that all the reservation systems were designed years ago when none of this was required. The day is coming when they will all have to be redesigned when this will become required.
That's not quite right. At first, none of them collected CV numbers.Then the terminals started asking for CV numbers, so gradually all the systems started collecting the data. Then it became illegal to store and not required by the terminal, so now they are all gradually stopping.
Okay I'll ask him again. So you are telling me that it is NOT something that is going to become required for processing credit cards? Tom has said it's already required by Discover, and one B&B owner has confirmed it is asked for. But he just hits "return" and the machine asks if it is illegible and he hits return again and it proceeds.
So I was assuming that it was true that the cards are going to gradually start requiring it since Discover has. I have noticed when I order things online I have to give it out to the merchants...
And as I said before, there is a way to do this in my situation if anyone else needs to know - just will say privately
Riki
egoodell said:
Okay I'll ask him again. So you are telling me that it is NOT something that is going to become required for processing credit cards? Tom has said it's already required by Discover, and one B&B owner has confirmed it is asked for. But he just hits "return" and the machine asks if it is illegible and he hits return again and it proceeds.
So I was assuming that it was true that the cards are going to gradually start requiring it since Discover has. I have noticed when I order things online I have to give it out to the merchants...
And as I said before, there is a way to do this in my situation if anyone else needs to know - just will say privately
Riki
Riki, if you are purchasing online and they ask for the code, they are processing your payment right THEN, I think that that is what John was referring to with their online payment processing you can use through Webervations. It will ask for the number but it only uses it as it verifies and pocesses the payment, there is no storing of that number in the system.
I know when I signed MY yearly PCI compliance ins. agreement with my merchant service, I had to agree that I was not storing the CV code as well as all the other bells and whistles. If I did not pay for the compliance ins. or it's terms, I would be charged a monthly NON compliance fee. I remember this being a hot topic here about a year - to year and a half ago.

We are not required to collect that code in order to run the card. You might look at a processor that does not require it.
Or, challenge your processor to make it so that you don't need the code. If you cannot store it, they should not require you get it..
Mary, if you don't mind my asking, who is your processor? So many people recommend Tom that I wonder what they all are doing about this...
RIki
muirford said:
I think so - and it could be because we have a newer processor. I think one older one we have for the one business requires it and the other older one for the other business does not. Someone else said they bypass it by just hitting "return" and it goes through. Others say the just put in any three numbers and it goes through.
They are getting by right now by saying it's illegal to collect and store which is true. But it's not illegal to collect only to use for processing.
So, I have to figure out if I'm going to bite the bullet now or later. It may depend if we get the loan to build the wing this year.That would make it a no-brainer. Do the change now.
I'm lucky I've been getting by with one free system for the tours for 7 years and Webervations for the B&B for 2. Resnex is actually not expensive for taking the two. It's just that I'm trying to keep my expenses DOWN right now.
RIki
That's not quite right. At first, none of them collected CV numbers.Then the terminals started asking for CV numbers, so gradually all the systems started collecting the data. Then it became illegal to store and not required by the terminal, so now they are all gradually stopping.
Riki
What i am saying is that if your current system truly acts like it requires it, it can be reprogramed to make it not require it. If it allows it to go through by just hitting return (which is what my system did when i was using Tom) then it is not required.
I would highly recommend that over the other suggestion of just entering in a fake number. That could get the charge flagged as a fraud and possibly even trigger a security lock on that card ...if I were a guest and found out my card got locked down because somebody was being clever and entered in any old number....I would not be happy.
I'm not sure that all cards are going to start requiring it . they can decide anything they want. ... but that doesn't sound quite right (example: When I go to Lowes and swipe my card, they ask for / type in the last 4 digits on the card rather than the cv number, because even they don't want to store it.) The address check is a more reliable method of establishing that the card is not a fraud, and thankfully we in the innkeeper business get their address with the reservation. That is a lot more reliable than the CV number check because if I stole your card, I would have your cv number too, but it is less likely I have the billing address for the card.
I'm not sure what method is working for you, but if it is not something you are comfortable sharing in public, then i would be concerned that it probably isn't in your best interest ;)

We've been in business 13 years, taking credit cards and have never had to have the code. All we need is the credit card # and expiration date.
www.bairdhouse.com.
Hi Tomtrex,
Welcome to Innspiring
welcome.gif

Thanks for noticing, Bob.We got a super deal on it in 1998. The Aunt Dee room is a rustic Appalachian style room. We have an old tobacco barn on the Baird House property with wide planks which we used as wainscoting in that room.

RIki
muirford said:
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki, if you are purchasing online and they ask for the code, they are processing your payment right THEN, I think that that is what John was referring to with their online payment processing you can use through Webervations. It will ask for the number but it only uses it as it verifies and pocesses the payment, there is no storing of that number in the system.
I know when I signed MY yearly PCI compliance ins. agreement with my merchant service, I had to agree that I was not storing the CV code as well as all the other bells and whistles. If I did not pay for the compliance ins. or it's terms, I would be charged a monthly NON compliance fee. I remember this being a hot topic here about a year - to year and a half ago.
This may never die as a topic but I'm wondering about this...I regularly order tings that are 'backordered'. My card doesn't get charged until the item ships. Could be a month later. If they can process the card THEN without the code, why not immediately? If they CAN'T, then they are storing the number for a month or more while the items come in.

RIki
muirford said:
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
This may never die as a topic but I'm wondering about this...I regularly order tings that are 'backordered'. My card doesn't get charged until the item ships. Could be a month later. If they can process the card THEN without the code, why not immediately? If they CAN'T, then they are storing the number for a month or more while the items come in.
Well now Chris is telling me that he thinks it is only the new machine that we have for the tour company that is requiring the code. The one for the B&B is older and does not.
Someone suggested to me to ask to be entered as processing "purchase" which is the setup to bypass having to do the "check in check out" procedure. But the "purchase" setup is only for lodging.
My tours are set up as retail which seems to be the problem. Tom is looking into a solution for me.
But another B&B owner who takes Discover which requires the code says he just hits "enter" and the machine says "code not legible?" so he hits "enter" again and it runs.
That may work for us. We'll have to wait until we run tours this weekend to find out.
RIki

RIki
muirford said:
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Morticia said:
I don't know - maybe there is something to what Tom says when he says it will be in the near future that the codes will be required for everything. Maybe they are giving all the companies time to get their systems up to being able to capture but not store in some fashion.
I dunno, everybody says something different, and I think every card has different requirements, like Discover seems to be requiring it.
RIki

RIki
muirford said:
RIki
Riki
egoodell said:
Riki
Morticia said:
One thing that people often forget is that for most companies - PCI compliance is both voluntary, and is a self-assesment. There are countless examples of companies claiming PCI compliance and not being compliant at all (several in our industry even). You can imagine the problems with a self-evaluation...
We have had a few banks already tell us that they will not allow their customers to use our software any longer unless we get a 3rd party audit - they are no longer accepting self-evaluations. I believe this is more likely to be a wave of the future as it is the only way to be sure a company is compliant.
So what you are likely experiencing above is one of three things...
First - the company may not be compliant.
Second - they ran the card as an authorization with the CVV at time of sale and know it is not fraudulent and do not need the CVV the next time.
Third - the CVV was never required in the first place, they use it as an extra cautionary measure. The CVV does not get them a better rate, nor should it be required. It is a fraud prevention tool. And in the case of a backordered item - they haven't given you the product yet. So they have not lost anything. They will know for certain whether your card is fraudulent long before they ship as it usually only takes a day or two to figure this out. Thus there is no need for the extra fraud measure as opposed to if they were sending it out immediately.
There is a possible fourth... just like lodging with pre-auth, check-in, post-charge, etc. I am pretty sure retail has some backend processing features as well. I'm not sure what they are, but there may be some things about product delivery and charges that I am not aware of.

I will post a link under resources for Reservation Key. http://www.reservationkey.com/ V-code requested, daily back ups and tons of features. A good looking online reservation AND guest management system. Ease of use for guests, ease of use for innkeepers, and a great price. 3 years they have been doing this.

I will post a link under resources for Reservation Key. http://www.reservationkey.com/ V-code requested, daily back ups and tons of features. A good looking online reservation AND guest management system. Ease of use for guests, ease of use for innkeepers, and a great price. 3 years they have been doing this..
so why did you choose them over say "reservation nexus" which seems to becoming very popular these days??

I will post a link under resources for Reservation Key. http://www.reservationkey.com/ V-code requested, daily back ups and tons of features. A good looking online reservation AND guest management system. Ease of use for guests, ease of use for innkeepers, and a great price. 3 years they have been doing this..
If you answer Catlady's question, can you do it as a separate thread? I think there will be some good info in it and I don't want it to get lost amidst the v-code issue.

If you answer Catlady's question, can you do it as a separate thread? I think there will be some good info in it and I don't want it to get lost amidst the v-code issue.
OOps guess I should have asked it separately. I have looked over the site and I looked over JB's...it looks good and I would love to have some feedback as would others because folks keep asking me for other options. Thanks JB.

so why did you choose them over say "reservation nexus" which seems to becoming very popular these days??
catlady said:
$15.99 per month up to 10 rooms. Plus they have all the features I am after.

catlady said:
It looks pretty good from the pages I looked at. Didn't watch the video, tho. I didn't see the reporting section but it has a similar feel to what I'm using.

catlady said:
I have never heard of them or seen anyone that uses them....so I was curious if someone recommended them to you or how you found out about them etc.It is scary to switch over to someone totally new and wonder if they really are ok:)
Sorry, I guess we aren't following SWIRT's directions. about putting this in separate thread :-(

Forgot to add, if your terminal is currently set up to absolutely require the cv code, it is likely just a programming oversight in the terminal. Contacting your CC processor should allow them to walk you through the process of reprogramming your terminal. In most cases it is not something they would be able to check or initiate from their end. You'd have to call and have them walk you through the re-program. You essentially have to tell your terminal to go get a new set of procedures..
[FONT=&quot]Okay, now from what I have been told by someone who has been in the biz for quite a while and is trusted, it appears that the day is fast approaching where everyone is going to need the secuity code, and some cards are already requiring it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I suppose the day is gone when credit card fraud is simply written off, due to the economy. I always was mad when they said it cost too much money to process the thieves.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I guess I have to decide which is more expensive - temporary change to someone who does not require it yet to process, or go with ResNex who is up to code and can collect it for me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ouch. I currently do the tours through a free system, for just bookings and have them send me a check for deposit, and I pay I think around $150 for Webervations. This will jump to a minimum of $480/year I thinkl[/FONT]

egoodell said:
[FONT= &quot]Okay, now from what I have been told by someone who has been in the biz for quite a while and is trusted, it appears that the day is fast approaching where everyone is going to need the secuity code, and some cards are already requiring it. [/FONT]
[FONT= &quot][/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]I suppose the day is gone when credit card fraud is simply written off, due to the economy. I always was mad when they said it cost too much money to process the thieves.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]What is not legal now is to STORE it, not COLLECT it, so when Webervations tells us it is illegal to store and collect, that is true because of the word store.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]So I guess I have to decide which is more expensive - temporary change to someone who does not require it yet to process, or go with ResNex who is up to code and can collect it for me.[/FONT]
[FONT= &quot]Ouch. I currently do the tours through a free system, for just bookings and have them send me a check for deposit, and I pay I think around $150 for Webervations. This will jump to a minimum of $480/year I thinkl[/FONT]
John here, let me try to clarify this. You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere. Any system that tells you otherwise is incorrect. I'm not sure how Resnexus would collect it for you unless they automatically transmit it. If they let you retrieve it/view it - then that is clearly against the rules. I doubt they do.
I think the issue you are having here is with your credit card processor though - Webervations and Rezo use Intuit for example, and that provides for the collection of the CVV because it is transmitted instantly and not saved anywhere. That would require you to switch you cc processor. I believe you would need to switch your cc processor if you wanted it integrated into Resnexus as well?
I certainly would look at using Webervations and Intuit though - there is no upfront fee, no early termination, not much to setup at all. If you are currently using Webervations you could try it for a few months and switch if for some reason it doesn't meet your needs without having any issues really at all.
JBanczak said:
You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere.
John, this is not the case with Web 2.0 - or, it has not been made PCI compliant yet. The CVV code is still stored there and I can still retrieve it. I have to manually delete them after processing. I thought it had gone away, but I noticed this weekend with a new reservation that is in the record.
muirford said:
JBanczak said:
You are correct in the storing part - PCI compliance says you cannot store it. Thus you as an innkeeper cannot retrieve anywhere.
John, this is not the case with Web 2.0 - or, it has not been made PCI compliant yet. The CVV code is still stored there and I can still retrieve it. I have to manually delete them after processing. I thought it had gone away, but I noticed this weekend with a new reservation that is in the record.
That should not be happening - thanks for the heads-up. We are doing a LOT of work on 2.0 right now, so something might have gotten missed. Good news is 2.0 is shaping up...
Update - this has been noted, is being diagnosed, and will be resolved and removed shortly.
JBanczak said:
That should not be happening - thanks for the heads-up. We are doing a LOT of work on 2.0 right now, so something might have gotten missed. Good news is 2.0 is shaping up...
Update - this has been noted, is being diagnosed, and will be resolved and removed shortly.
I'm glad to hear that you are doing a lot of work on 2.0. It truly, truly needs it. I am sitting here working on updating innsitter instructions to use it and frankly, it is a hot mess. Not intuitive at all, and too many steps to make a reservation. Now I'm used to it but explaining it to someone else is not fun.

Joey Bloggs said:
I will post a link under resources for Reservation Key. http://www.reservationkey.com/ V-code requested, daily back ups and tons of features. A good looking online reservation AND guest management system. Ease of use for guests, ease of use for innkeepers, and a great price. 3 years they have been doing this.
Thank you I'll look into them too.
Riki

RIki
Forgot to add, when the c.c. machine ask if the guest is present (deposits) I was told to ALWAYS punch in YES. Never tried to do it otherwise.Mary in Bridgewater.

Back