weirdest thing you encountered in a place you bought

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 6 months after we owned our place, a neighbor pulls in with a small trailer. Says he's here to pick up the propane gas tank (filled). Says the previous owner swapped him something for it. Uhhh, noooooo. It's not his to barter.
Then 3 years after, guests stayed in the separate cottage...they had been close to the old owners. Old owners came over to visit them, not coming over to say hello to us. About 3 days later, the old owner called wanting to know what was a good time to come over so he could pick up some things from the cottage. Knick knacks & books they saw in there when they were visiting.
NO!!!! GO AWAY!!!!.
Nice they called. Maybe the guests were afraid you'd think they took them so they told the PO to call you instead of just walking off with the things. You know they talked about it. "Hey that's MY old (whatever)! I want that back!"
We were fortunate the conveyance list was well done. We knew what we had to replace right away. There are so many things I want to take with me that came with the house or that I've bought thru the years.
Depends on where we move and what kind of room we have.
We were given a very specific exclusion list. That was my arguement back at them. There had been many more times they wanted something and I gave it to them, but this is where I drew the line in the sand. Years later is asking for this is outrageous. My other problem is that they still lived locally. We had to be very careful not to say a negative word about them.

About 6 months after we owned our place, a neighbor pulls in with a small trailer. Says he's here to pick up the propane gas tank (filled). Says the previous owner swapped him something for it. Uhhh, noooooo. It's not his to barter.
Then 3 years after, guests stayed in the separate cottage...they had been close to the old owners. Old owners came over to visit them, not coming over to say hello to us. About 3 days later, the old owner called wanting to know what was a good time to come over so he could pick up some things from the cottage. Knick knacks & books they saw in there when they were visiting.
NO!!!! GO AWAY!!!!.
Nice they called. Maybe the guests were afraid you'd think they took them so they told the PO to call you instead of just walking off with the things. You know they talked about it. "Hey that's MY old (whatever)! I want that back!"
We were fortunate the conveyance list was well done. We knew what we had to replace right away. There are so many things I want to take with me that came with the house or that I've bought thru the years.
We were given a very specific exclusion list. That was my arguement back at them. There had been many more times they wanted something and I gave it to them, but this is where I drew the line in the sand. Years later is asking for this is outrageous. My other problem is that they still lived locally. We had to be very careful not to say a negative word about them.
Breakfast Diva said:
My PO lives locally also and is very good friends with many of the innkeepers. So we are very respectful. We do like her very much. We just didn't like that she left us some messes to clean up. I guess that's not too out of the ordinary.

The mls listed 8 bedrooms. We found 8, thought that was it, but then when we got the appraisal, there were pictures of two other rooms we had not seen. Turned out the previous owner has blocked access to the rooms by building a small pantry off the kitchen and the two rooms were only accessible by an exterior door in the back of the house. (There are 7 entryways to the main house, so this really did get confusing)
Then there are the light switches that don't work, the lights with no switches, and 80 years of running cables, plumbing, and electric all over the place..
LOL this sounds like a recurring dream I have. In it we are living in a new place that we have made into an inn, when lo and behold, we discover new rooms that we never knew where there! Quite exciting, indeed!
You should look up what finding new rooms in your house means in dreams.
Morticia said:
well, I found it but I can't cut and paste to this site. (frustrating)
anyway, finding a new room means finding new strength, skill or potential in yourself.
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
anyway, finding a new room means finding new strength, skill or potential in yourself.
Of course you can, use the force of "finding new strength, skill or potential in yourself." that was a cut n paste. ctrl V

The mls listed 8 bedrooms. We found 8, thought that was it, but then when we got the appraisal, there were pictures of two other rooms we had not seen. Turned out the previous owner has blocked access to the rooms by building a small pantry off the kitchen and the two rooms were only accessible by an exterior door in the back of the house. (There are 7 entryways to the main house, so this really did get confusing)
Then there are the light switches that don't work, the lights with no switches, and 80 years of running cables, plumbing, and electric all over the place..
LOL this sounds like a recurring dream I have. In it we are living in a new place that we have made into an inn, when lo and behold, we discover new rooms that we never knew where there! Quite exciting, indeed!
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
Of course you can, use the force of "finding new strength, skill or potential in yourself." that was a cut n paste. ctrl V
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
maybe a hint? I've tried. I know my way around a forum, but this one is difficult for me to navigate.

Morticia said:
New strength, huh? I could use that right now...practicing my skill in mulching and my back is killing me!

Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
maybe a hint? I've tried. I know my way around a forum, but this one is difficult for me to navigate.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
regular_smile.gif
Yes, I just did give you how to do it. ctrl v

NO!!!! GO AWAY!!!!.
Breakfast Diva said:
My PO lives locally also and is very good friends with many of the innkeepers. So we are very respectful. We do like her very much. We just didn't like that she left us some messes to clean up. I guess that's not too out of the ordinary.
TheBeachHouse said:
Oh the mess! We were told the entire building would be completely cleaned, top to bottom, before we moved in. It took a week to clean my kitchen before I would even buy groceries. Then we went to work on the inn kitchen.
I don't know if they lied, the housekeeper didn't come in to clean or that was how she cleaned but it was awful.
I doubt the kitchen had been cleaned since it was installed.

We got a BOX of keys. Nothing was labeled except for one ring with a few keys on it and a tag that said, "Not the Rose Room".
Also 5 breaker boxes and not one label.

Back to the topic of weirdest thing encountered...
When we did our first floor master bath renovation in our 107 yr old house, we found that they used a piece of wood in the original framing that looked like part of a tree limb. Not planed and sanded, very rough cut. Above a door frame, we found the original owner's name written on a piece of lumber. How it used to come from the lumber yard...back in the day.
But scary weird? When we demo'd the ceiling in an upstairs bathroom, a whole bunch of bird carcasses fell down. Birds that apparently had gotten in the big attic at one time and couldn't get out. :-(
Interesting thing found - a couple of old prescription glass bottles stuck under floor joists. Original owner was a dentist.

Back to the topic of weirdest thing encountered...
When we did our first floor master bath renovation in our 107 yr old house, we found that they used a piece of wood in the original framing that looked like part of a tree limb. Not planed and sanded, very rough cut. Above a door frame, we found the original owner's name written on a piece of lumber. How it used to come from the lumber yard...back in the day.
But scary weird? When we demo'd the ceiling in an upstairs bathroom, a whole bunch of bird carcasses fell down. Birds that apparently had gotten in the big attic at one time and couldn't get out. :-(
Interesting thing found - a couple of old prescription glass bottles stuck under floor joists. Original owner was a dentist..
We found a 1913 newspaper when we opened up the wall under the stairs to create another storage area.

We got a BOX of keys. Nothing was labeled except for one ring with a few keys on it and a tag that said, "Not the Rose Room".
Also 5 breaker boxes and not one label..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Yes! And the number of times every A/C unit and hair dryer were running and tripping breakers in which box? was beyond belief. We fixed that one PDQ.
Crawling around in the dirt floor basement with all the spiders while guests were wanting breakfast was no fun.
How did they run this place for almost 20 years like that?

Aussie Innkeeper said:
Yes! And the number of times every A/C unit and hair dryer were running and tripping breakers in which box? was beyond belief. We fixed that one PDQ.
Crawling around in the dirt floor basement with all the spiders while guests were wanting breakfast was no fun.
How did they run this place for almost 20 years like that?
Morticia said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Our are all label... but Isabel's room is now what bedroom?!?

Our main house is 125 years old. In the country. We have 4 septic tanks. The 1,000 gallon in the front of the main house needed replacement. I won't go into the horrid details, but it's VERY difficult to replace it and because the water table is so high here, we could only have it done in a very small window of dry weather months. Those are the months that we are the busiest.
We had been given credit for the new septic in escrow, so we knew it had to be done but were clueless what it would actually take to accomplish it. We put it off for years because it would tear up the front yard in our busiest season. So finally we bit the bullet, closed for a couple of days and had it done. Of course by this time the cost of the replacement was greater than the credit we were given in escrow.
That's when we couldn't believe what previous owners had done. This 1,000 gallon tank in the front yard was only for the grey water from the kitchen sink! Literally, it was only the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. What were they thinking?!?! My whole front yard was torn up by a big excavator and looked horrible for quite some time all for a little gray water.

I found the previous owner's old Underwood typewriter with a half-finished letter about a blind date.
The owners before her found a gun that may have been used in a murder next door in the 1800s.

Our main house is 125 years old. In the country. We have 4 septic tanks. The 1,000 gallon in the front of the main house needed replacement. I won't go into the horrid details, but it's VERY difficult to replace it and because the water table is so high here, we could only have it done in a very small window of dry weather months. Those are the months that we are the busiest.
We had been given credit for the new septic in escrow, so we knew it had to be done but were clueless what it would actually take to accomplish it. We put it off for years because it would tear up the front yard in our busiest season. So finally we bit the bullet, closed for a couple of days and had it done. Of course by this time the cost of the replacement was greater than the credit we were given in escrow.
That's when we couldn't believe what previous owners had done. This 1,000 gallon tank in the front yard was only for the grey water from the kitchen sink! Literally, it was only the kitchen sink and the dishwasher. What were they thinking?!?! My whole front yard was torn up by a big excavator and looked horrible for quite some time all for a little gray water..
One house I bought (1950s), the contract said the septic tank was working and operable condition.
When we had it first emptied, it was little more than rusty pieces of metal in a hole.
"Working and operable" meant, that the dirt/hole contained the sludge, I guess...

Oh, and in the kitchen, I couldn't run the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. Dear ol' dad fixed that for me right away and also ran dedicated lines for my coffee pots.

Oh, and in the kitchen, I couldn't run the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. Dear ol' dad fixed that for me right away and also ran dedicated lines for my coffee pots..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Oh, and in the kitchen, I couldn't run the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. Dear ol' dad fixed that for me right away and also ran dedicated lines for my coffee pots.
Our first night of more than one guest, they all turned on their space heaters. And the electricity went off to all three rooms. No complaints. No requests to turn it on. They all mentioned it at breakfast the next day. One said she just pretended she was in the 1800's and it was so romantic.
We have since had the electricity upgraded so space heaters (electric fireplaces) and portable AC will work.

Oh, and in the kitchen, I couldn't run the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. Dear ol' dad fixed that for me right away and also ran dedicated lines for my coffee pots..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I wanted to move ONE outlet up the wall by 3 feet so it was over the counter instead of in the bottom cupboard. $500 and a new breaker box later the first time we needed the air con in the kitchen the breaker for the coffee machine tripped.

mine are labled - however discovered many of them were wrong which in some ways is worse!
I label everything in case we leave my parents to sit in and something trips!

Latest posts

Back