weirdest thing you encountered in a place you bought

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and in the kitchen, I couldn't run the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. Dear ol' dad fixed that for me right away and also ran dedicated lines for my coffee pots..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
Oh, and in the kitchen, I couldn't run the microwave and the toaster oven at the same time. Dear ol' dad fixed that for me right away and also ran dedicated lines for my coffee pots.
Our first night of more than one guest, they all turned on their space heaters. And the electricity went off to all three rooms. No complaints. No requests to turn it on. They all mentioned it at breakfast the next day. One said she just pretended she was in the 1800's and it was so romantic.
We have since had the electricity upgraded so space heaters (electric fireplaces) and portable AC will work.
We have since had the electricity upgraded so space heaters (electric fireplaces) and portable AC will work.
The first thing we did after we took possession of the house was to unplug all the extension cords. After we moved in, the first thing was to upgrade from 60 amp to 200 amp and added outlets in every room. (strips and extension cords have also been added again over the years)

Original B&B we found two rocks that they just built the house around instead of moving.

Original B&B we found two rocks that they just built the house around instead of moving..
Jon Sable said:
Original B&B we found two rocks that they just built the house around instead of moving.
Wait, have you been in my basement? It goes from 7' clearance to 3' clearance as you climb up the rock it's built on.

Original B&B we found two rocks that they just built the house around instead of moving..
Jon Sable said:
Wait, have you been in my basement? It goes from 7' clearance to 3' clearance as you climb up the rock it's built on.
Ours was at the front of the house... not under. But there was this odd step in the basement that had a hole that we filled.... just filled. Never knew why it was there.
And there was a dead space in the kitchen everyone kept on saying held a dead body.

About 6 months after we owned our place, a neighbor pulls in with a small trailer. Says he's here to pick up the propane gas tank (filled). Says the previous owner swapped him something for it. Uhhh, noooooo. It's not his to barter.
Then 3 years after, guests stayed in the separate cottage...they had been close to the old owners. Old owners came over to visit them, not coming over to say hello to us. About 3 days later, the old owner called wanting to know what was a good time to come over so he could pick up some things from the cottage. Knick knacks & books they saw in there when they were visiting.
NO!!!! GO AWAY!!!!.
Photograph the rooms, each wall. That is what you bought.

Four layers of bathroom wall tiles and one wall was a giant ornate mirror that had been tiled over we think about 100 years previously.

More recently in the highest loft/attic a six piece indigo blue Yamaha drum kit, the bass drum is too big to get down the hatch. I can't work out how it even got up there unless someone popped the roof off?! It's still up there, if you can get it out of the loft hatch it's yours for free!

We uncovered a whale's tooth and it got us a spot on HGTV If Walls Could Talk several years ago! The owner/builder was a sailor, and his sister married the most famous whaling captain in this neck of the woods. The sister and Captain built a house across the street at the same time our was built at the end of the Civil War . We imagine that the sperm whales tooth may have come off of the whale bone jaw that makes an arch marking the "driveway" that leads to the captain's horse barn.
It took us a while to figure out that it was a whale's tooth. For a while we thought it was a bovine horn....what do we know about bulls?
embaressed_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back