Well it finally happened

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the "you're not what I thought" club! Holy cow, the guy pays $70 and thinks it's going to be much more luxurious? Gimme a break.
Your place is wonderful and this couple are jerks.
Onward and upward...you've got other wonderful guests singing your praise!.
We had this with a particular couple - chap booked directly - smallest double, unrenovated (is now we knocked through in to next bedroom so is much bigger with nice bathroom) etc said this was fine as much cheaper price and all we had left for busy event booked 4 nights - then rained like the amazon event was called off so wife who like as not was not happy with small room and cheapskate husband then shouted at him for 4 days - so I get a bad tripadviser - aint nothing to do with me - its his fricking mistake! its why DH doesn't make reservations!

Welcome to the "you're not what I thought" club! Holy cow, the guy pays $70 and thinks it's going to be much more luxurious? Gimme a break.
We had this with a particular couple - chap booked directly - smallest double, unrenovated (is now we knocked through in to next bedroom so is much bigger with nice bathroom) etc said this was fine as much cheaper price and all we had left for busy event booked 4 nights - then rained like the amazon event was called off so wife who like as not was not happy with small room and cheapskate husband then shouted at him for 4 days - so I get a bad tripadviser - aint nothing to do with me - its his fricking mistake! its why DH doesn't make reservations!
We've been down this route a few times. I always book accommodation when we go away, DH is happy to leave it all to me however I get the blame when it's not as required. I've learned to show him places on the ipad before committing, so when I get the "This hotel hasn't got a pool, I wanted a place with a pool". I just say "It's too late saying that now we're checked in, you should have looked that before I booked".
However we're not going to blame the accommodation for that.
ps: Oh No!! Does that make me the cheapskate husband.
omg_smile.gif

amen to that. Know your partner's taste

Hi Iris! So sorry this happened. I know if feels like someone just stabbed you in the heart because with us it IS personal.
This was the first time I looked at your site and yes, I believe your photos show exactly what to expect when you arrive at the cottages. If I recall in another thread you indicated you had not claimed your TA listing, but given this matter I would keep a close watch for a review by these folks, and if they do be prepared to claim it and write a mgr response.
BTW, just looking at the cottages I was reminded of my childhood summers spent at Houghton Lake with my extended family. Special memories, lots of smiles. I am sure your cottages create special memories as well. Too BAD for The Fooffooffnicks, they missed out!.
OH shoot, I never replied to your post. Thanks yes, and I have claimed my TA listing, actually quite a while ago. so we will see if they write something. When you only have as few reviews as we have, then everyone counts.
In that vein, I would like to tell you all that we've had quite a few new guests in the last few weeks and most of them were booking their spots after checking out reviews. Until then I always thought it was mostly unimportant. Our reviews are not stellar, I don't know why but they brought in new and happy guests.
One of them said " We know what's important in a review. We don't pay attention to the complainers who have a problem with something petty, we know how to read these reviews."
These guests made reservations for a cottage that, according to one review, has a harder bed then they are used to at home. This is good to know.

Hi Iris! So sorry this happened. I know if feels like someone just stabbed you in the heart because with us it IS personal.
This was the first time I looked at your site and yes, I believe your photos show exactly what to expect when you arrive at the cottages. If I recall in another thread you indicated you had not claimed your TA listing, but given this matter I would keep a close watch for a review by these folks, and if they do be prepared to claim it and write a mgr response.
BTW, just looking at the cottages I was reminded of my childhood summers spent at Houghton Lake with my extended family. Special memories, lots of smiles. I am sure your cottages create special memories as well. Too BAD for The Fooffooffnicks, they missed out!.
OH shoot, I never replied to your post. Thanks yes, and I have claimed my TA listing, actually quite a while ago. so we will see if they write something. When you only have as few reviews as we have, then everyone counts.
In that vein, I would like to tell you all that we've had quite a few new guests in the last few weeks and most of them were booking their spots after checking out reviews. Until then I always thought it was mostly unimportant. Our reviews are not stellar, I don't know why but they brought in new and happy guests.
One of them said " We know what's important in a review. We don't pay attention to the complainers who have a problem with something petty, we know how to read these reviews."
These guests made reservations for a cottage that, according to one review, has a harder bed then they are used to at home. This is good to know.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
...most of them were booking their spots after checking out reviews. Until then I always thought it was mostly unimportant.
In this day and age, reviews are VERY important! Many people would never think of staying at a place without checking out the reviews first. It's the norm!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
...most of them were booking their spots after checking out reviews. Until then I always thought it was mostly unimportant.
In this day and age, reviews are VERY important! Many people would never think of staying at a place without checking out the reviews first. It's the norm!
you see I was always of this opinion but have been proven wrong time after time by my next door neighbour who has the most appalling reviews http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d1013749-Reviews-The_Azalea_Court_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html
and yet people keep booking! had a chap walk out and ring my bell as he refused to stay there on Wednesday, another couple last night arrived (I know she was over booked) she told them over the intercom that they didn't have a reservation and to go away! one of my other neighbours saw them wandering about and thought they were one of her check in's so asked them if they were ok? and it all came out - because I am fabulous found them a room at a nice place, woman said "even if we had got in we probably wouldn't have stayed it looked terrible" and so it goes on
We have this every weekend and both me and the neighbour on the other side who often have to deal with these walk out's as "don't you read reviews?" and the answers are (1) we didn't think it could possibly be that bad or (2) because it was online with thought it would be ok or (3) no we don't - but there are hundreds of them! hundreds of idiots every week!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
you see I was always of this opinion but have been proven wrong time after time by my next door neighbour who has the most appalling reviews http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d1013749-Reviews-The_Azalea_Court_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html
and yet people keep booking! had a chap walk out and ring my bell as he refused to stay there on Wednesday, another couple last night arrived (I know she was over booked) she told them over the intercom that they didn't have a reservation and to go away! one of my other neighbours saw them wandering about and thought they were one of her check in's so asked them if they were ok? and it all came out - because I am fabulous found them a room at a nice place, woman said "even if we had got in we probably wouldn't have stayed it looked terrible" and so it goes on
We have this every weekend and both me and the neighbour on the other side who often have to deal with these walk out's as "don't you read reviews?" and the answers are (1) we didn't think it could possibly be that bad or (2) because it was online with thought it would be ok or (3) no we don't - but there are hundreds of them! hundreds of idiots every week!
Good grief, that beats the Fo yers hou se, he leaves quite sarcastic responses to the bad ones. I do have some sympathy, I think we'd all like to write these sorts of responses now and again.
However the bookings keep coming, and it's surprising the number of people who put things like "we were dreading it once we read the reviews", surely the idea is to read them BEFORE you book.

I had Stepford Guests last night.
At check-in I was hoping they were...
...and this morning, I discovered the replacement couple happily at the table, so they were.
(I don't think the former selves will fit in the recycling bin, and may even scare a few people who are not well aquainted with B&B's.)
shades_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Wow! I checked to make sure this wasn't a fake TA page somebody made up, but it's the real thing! Unbelievable! And yes, laughing was what I immediately did. A great laugh, and proof that word of mouth and TA are not necessarily the all-powerful forces we think they are...and proof that a lot of travelers don't do their homework!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Location, location, location. I guess if you have a good location, you can still make a living. That place has to be horrible. I'm amazed there haven't been any reviews since January! I guess those same people who don't read reviews also don't leave them.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Location, location, location. I guess if you have a good location, you can still make a living. That place has to be horrible. I'm amazed there haven't been any reviews since January! I guess those same people who don't read reviews also don't leave them.
the reason for that is she has 4 properties and when its not busy she shunts the customers all into one so she is only running as few sets of staff as possible and advertising in 4 places - there havn't been many what I call real guests for a while- but it has been busy lately so they have ended up there.
reasons for booking
(1) - cheap had one couple walk out paid £35 $70 for a twin room when the next thing available was £140 $280 - DOES THIS NOT RING ALARM BELLS?
(2)all that is left in town - and there is a reason for that!
(3) location + parking

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Wow! I checked to make sure this wasn't a fake TA page somebody made up, but it's the real thing! Unbelievable! And yes, laughing was what I immediately did. A great laugh, and proof that word of mouth and TA are not necessarily the all-powerful forces we think they are...and proof that a lot of travelers don't do their homework!
these are the other 3 properties
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d1013747-Reviews-The_Aston_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d569611-Reviews-Ruskin_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d193520-Reviews-Ashley_House_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html
my favourites are the one where the police are dropping off people on bail at the aston and the one where she cooks breakfast for the guests and her dog and sits down with them to eat it at the Ruskin!
Also the new one with the smell woman in room 8 - she allowed a tramp to stay from socal services and had to scrub her down several times during her stay - lovely!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Breakfast Nemo said:
Speaking as someone who on the whole thinks the positives of TA outweigh the negatives, I think you've highlighted one of the weaknesses of this "review" culture that has grown up on the internet. That many people only write reviews when they've got something to b***h about.

where is the website? I checked your profile and don't see it.
People ask for the world. They will take what they get.
My first weekend (4 days ago), the 17 year old girl seemed a little queezy. (Hungover, I believe.) We had put out a coffee cake, wheat bread for toast, two kinds of English Muffins, Cheerios, two kinds of yogurt and two kinds of fruit. Oj, milk, peanut butter, jelly, butter, cinnamon and sugar. Not good enough. She wanted white bread. I simply said, we don't have any. I didn't even worry about it..
Keep up that attitude. It can only make your life more pleasant.
When we first started out, stupid me would have bent over backwards and baked a dang loaf of white. Also, I want to say, I am thinking about coming to get some of your breakfast just as soon as I am done with the biggest loser, hehe
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
When we first started out, stupid me would have bent over backwards and baked a dang loaf of white. Also, I want to say, I am thinking about coming to get some of your breakfast just as soon as I am done with the biggest loser, hehe
Too much??? Are we trying to please all the people all the time? I noticed that the toast didn't really go. This week, it will be coffee cake and scones. Plus, I'm going to try my hand at home baking. Wish me luck.
Did you offer bread and a toaster or did you pre-toast the bread? Because, I love toast, but it needs to be right out of the toaster so the butter melts. If toast sits out and gets cold, it gets rubbery.

where is the website? I checked your profile and don't see it.
People ask for the world. They will take what they get.
My first weekend (4 days ago), the 17 year old girl seemed a little queezy. (Hungover, I believe.) We had put out a coffee cake, wheat bread for toast, two kinds of English Muffins, Cheerios, two kinds of yogurt and two kinds of fruit. Oj, milk, peanut butter, jelly, butter, cinnamon and sugar. Not good enough. She wanted white bread. I simply said, we don't have any. I didn't even worry about it..
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Too much??? Are we trying to please all the people all the time? I noticed that the toast didn't really go. This week, it will be coffee cake and scones. Plus, I'm going to try my hand at home baking. Wish me luck.
Did you offer bread and a toaster or did you pre-toast the bread? Because, I love toast, but it needs to be right out of the toaster so the butter melts. If toast sits out and gets cold, it gets rubbery.
K9 said:
We put wheat bread and English Muffins out in a basket and have a toaster there for use. But after this weekend, I think we will not put out the bread. People aren't interested. They liked the English muffins.

Thanks for that, Breakfast Nemo? What the heck is happenin' to you?
tounge_smile.gif

Back