What do you lable the 'cheap' rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i recommend rack cards definitely over brochures. who is asking that the rates be on the cards?
i have no problem with something like classic rooms and deluxe rooms ...
if you really want to put rates on the cards, how about those peelable labels with $100 etc. so you can change them when you change your rates? you know someone is still bound to come to you with an old card and say 'your card (or brochure) says this much for a room'.
Sorry..peelable labels would look so tacky. . . like using old ones rather than new.

i recommend rack cards definitely over brochures. who is asking that the rates be on the cards?
if you really want to put rates on the cards, how about those peelable labels with $100 etc. so you can change them when you change your rates? you know someone is still bound to come to you with an old card and say 'your card (or brochure) says this much for a room'.
seashanty said:
if you really want to put rates on the cards, how about those peelable labels with $100 etc. so you can change them when you change your rates? you know someone is still bound to come to you with an old card and say 'your card (or brochure) says this much for a room'
We had an open house as part of a holiday town event last week. Several people took the brochure, opened it and remarked, Oh, I love that you publish your rates! I hate it when they don't tell you. Or similar remarks. Which pretty much echo my own feelings. When I am shopping and see something I like with no price tag, I move on. I like to know the price.
I hear everyone who says prices change. Good input. Thank you. I personally don't like the cards with only pictures and no information. We supply both. Pretty pictures, relaxing, calming text, and the info you need.
Thanks for the input. I really do listen to everyone who is kind.

However you do it, if you do put prices on a brochure or rack card, be sure to also somehow date the piece. Then if somebody comes with an old brochure, you can point out that those were your 2014 rates (as stated on the brochure) and give them a copy of your new 2016 rack card...
You also want to think about how many you print -- and HOW you print it (e.g. copier vs. offset): can you quickly and easily get another 10 or 100 pieces printed if you need them? so print-on-demand vs. stockpiling...
ETA: I do think it is useful to somehow give your readers an idea of your price range, so they can get a sense of whether you are in their budget or not.

However you do it, if you do put prices on a brochure or rack card, be sure to also somehow date the piece. Then if somebody comes with an old brochure, you can point out that those were your 2014 rates (as stated on the brochure) and give them a copy of your new 2016 rack card...
You also want to think about how many you print -- and HOW you print it (e.g. copier vs. offset): can you quickly and easily get another 10 or 100 pieces printed if you need them? so print-on-demand vs. stockpiling...
ETA: I do think it is useful to somehow give your readers an idea of your price range, so they can get a sense of whether you are in their budget or not..
Harborfields said:
ETA: I do think it is useful to somehow give your readers an idea of your price range, so they can get a sense of whether you are in their budget or not.
Very good idea. Or add, "Rates subject to change."

seashanty said:
if you really want to put rates on the cards, how about those peelable labels with $100 etc. so you can change them when you change your rates? you know someone is still bound to come to you with an old card and say 'your card (or brochure) says this much for a room'
We had an open house as part of a holiday town event last week. Several people took the brochure, opened it and remarked, Oh, I love that you publish your rates! I hate it when they don't tell you. Or similar remarks. Which pretty much echo my own feelings. When I am shopping and see something I like with no price tag, I move on. I like to know the price.
I hear everyone who says prices change. Good input. Thank you. I personally don't like the cards with only pictures and no information. We supply both. Pretty pictures, relaxing, calming text, and the info you need.
You can get all the information you need on a really nice rackcard. Just go to VISTA print to see some samples. But http://gotprint.net/ has the best rate for printing them.

seashanty said:
You can get all the information you need on a really nice rackcard. Just go to VISTA print to see some samples. But http://gotprint.net/ has the best rate for printing them.
whats different now is you can print them in much smaller batches - ie we do them in batches of 100 so aren't stuck with them if I decide to change something or update photo's etc

seashanty said:
whats different now is you can print them in much smaller batches - ie we do them in batches of 100 so aren't stuck with them if I decide to change something or update photo's etc
yes! We need to say that, right on Cambs! Don't poring 3000! You can print 250... Use the link Empty Nest suggested. :)

seashanty said:
yes! We need to say that, right on Cambs! Don't poring 3000! You can print 250... Use the link Empty Nest suggested. :)
this is the mistake the PO's made must have ordered 5000 at least! we were still giving them away 2 year after we came here! boxes and boxes! pictures were terrible and looked nothing like the rooms - we were doing anything to get rid of them (ie costers etc lol) they were so old they didn't have the web site on or email address! had to put on a sticker with it on! - don't make the same mistake! - plus its storing them all!

Do not put rates on your brochure! It will date them and then you will need to reproduce when your rates change. Just say "see website for rates." Who cares what "people" whoever they are say. It is your money paying for them. Oh, And why a brochure???? Waste of time. A rackcard is all you need..REALLY!!!.
thank you for your suggestion.
Honestly, I am as cheap as they come. "People" will have all sorts of answers for you. Look at them and what they are saying. Is the person who says they want to see the rates a person who will actually book with you or anyone else from a brochure OR a rack card? Is it someone who is IN business who would know marketing and/or costs?
if both of my questions are yes and pertain to the person(s) wanting rates, then post them on a rack card. A rack card geared to make them want to know more - to want to come there. You have so much more info on your web site. Rack cards are teasers to get them to you web site.
i have never posted rates because I make upgrades that change prices and some have high/low season or week day/weekend rates. Your web site is where you post the prices EVERYWHERE!!!

How about labelling them as "Aspiring to be a better room"

Back