What I did for my slow season vacation...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
For the first time in 15 years we closed for an entire month in November. We love to travel and get very little time to do it. After a couple years of planning and saving, we took the #1 trip on my travel bucket list. Just thought I'd share some pics to help encourage you to take time for yourselves and don't put off things you want to do until you're too old to really enjoy it. It changed my life.
1.jpg

Mt. Kilimanjaro
1_0.jpg

Crown crane
8.jpg

4 cheetahs feasting on a kill we witnessed
11.jpg

Lion in the Masa Mara
12.jpg

Amboseli, Kenya
19.jpg

Hippo, Ngorogoro Crater, Tanzania

Wow. Super nice. My trip to Germany that included Belgium, Netherlands, England, and France was a highlight for me.
Now I am trying to do 2 things - take my friend to see the oceans and go to the UK to a BedPosts Conference on my way to also go to Finland to see where my baby (OK, he is 42) lives. It will not be the best tome to go to him since it will be winter but it will be slow here too. He lives where he says is the "gold coast of vacation areas" in Finland - on the Baltic Sea in the very southern part of the country. He is about 30 miles from Helsinki.

"It changed my life."
Thank you for sharing this. and your photos, they brightened my day!
Stop savings the good china, today is the day, and that is all we have...

Wonder trip! You're so lucky now to have those memories, and the photos you made. Two questions:
  1. While you were there, did you say to yourself, I'm coming back here someday?
  2. If you did say that, do you think you really will?
I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!

Wonder trip! You're so lucky now to have those memories, and the photos you made. Two questions:
I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!.
Arks said:
I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!
I would love to go back to Africa, but I would choose to go to a different country to be able to see other animals & terrain. I want to see Victoria Falls someday.
While there I did say I want to come back. We have family that want to go and if the timing were right I would do it again. But because it's so far away and a good chunk of change to get there, more likely than not I will just keep working on my travel bucket list. We've got 2 more trips planned (January & April) so going back to Africa is not high on the priority list.
By the way, our trip in April came about because I had been there (Azores) as a port stop when I was on a cruise and said "I'm going to come back some day". April is the 'some day' and this time I'll be able to stay for more than a week to explore.

I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!.
We said that during our recent journeys in two places- New Zealand - which we will go back to, but perhaps to different areas, and to Lake Como, which we will likely go back to the same town and possibly the same house. Only possibly because it was a vacation rental which needed some organizing to make it super great but had the most amazing view. We will of course return to Scotland, but will see some of the parts we haven't seen.

Arks said:
I would love to go back to Africa, but I would choose to go to a different country to be able to see other animals & terrain. I want to see Victoria Falls someday.
While there I did say I want to come back. We have family that want to go and if the timing were right I would do it again. But because it's so far away and a good chunk of change to get there, more likely than not I will just keep working on my travel bucket list. We've got 2 more trips planned (January & April) so going back to Africa is not high on the priority list.
By the way, our trip in April came about because I had been there (Azores) as a port stop when I was on a cruise and said "I'm going to come back some day". April is the 'some day' and this time I'll be able to stay for more than a week to explore.
Breakfast Diva said:
But because it's so far away and a good chunk of change to get there...
Something a lot of people don't realize about traveling to exotic locales is that, while the air fare to get there is higher than a shorter trip from home, once you get there the rest of the trip expenses are often no more, or even a good deal less than a vacation in a place nearer to home. For instance, due to Peru being a relatively poor country, if you can find a good deal on air fare, a vacation to see Machu Picchu may not cost any more than a vacation to see Disney World.

Now THAT is an inspirational vacation! Amazing pictures to remind you of all you experienced!

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Something a lot of people don't realize about traveling to exotic locales is that, while the air fare to get there is higher than a shorter trip from home, once you get there the rest of the trip expenses are often no more, or even a good deal less than a vacation in a place nearer to home. For instance, due to Peru being a relatively poor country, if you can find a good deal on air fare, a vacation to see Machu Picchu may not cost any more than a vacation to see Disney World.
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
You're absolutely right about that! We tend to travel far away and save money. Instead of going to Hawaii which is really expensive (sorry HappyKeeper), we'll go to the South Pacific or Dominican Republic for a beach vacation. We can stay twice as long for the same or less money and have a wonderful tropical experience.
Hey, how did you nail the location of the next #1 on my travel bucket list?! Machu Picchu!

Ms 2_Cat Lady has inspired my next trip. I'll be driving Tessie to her place by way of Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia... That is if I don't lose my nerve. I've found enough electric plugs to make all but one of my destinations, so I might rent a car to get to the first Viking settlement in North America. I won't spill the beans about anyone who needs to remain anonymous, but please feel free to email me if your inn might be on the way. One of the Innmates has a stuffed animal that was left behind that might be able to make the trip with me. I've blocked out May 15 - June 15 but might still change the dates a bit.
Diva, those photographs are spectacular. Machu Picchu is also on my bucket list.

Ms 2_Cat Lady has inspired my next trip. I'll be driving Tessie to her place by way of Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia... That is if I don't lose my nerve. I've found enough electric plugs to make all but one of my destinations, so I might rent a car to get to the first Viking settlement in North America. I won't spill the beans about anyone who needs to remain anonymous, but please feel free to email me if your inn might be on the way. One of the Innmates has a stuffed animal that was left behind that might be able to make the trip with me. I've blocked out May 15 - June 15 but might still change the dates a bit.
Diva, those photographs are spectacular. Machu Picchu is also on my bucket list..
You know where I live... There's a charger in town.

Diva, those photographs are spectacular. Machu Picchu is also on my bucket list..
That sounds wonderful Innkeep! You'll be blazing a new trail and meeting innmates along the way. Sounds like fun. Don't lose your nerve! You can do it.
In just two weeks, in a galaxy far, far away (ok, not a galaxy, but a country) where heat & cold are the yin & yang, I'll be able to meet a very special innmate. In my wildest dreams I would never have guessed it would unfold this way.
Stay tuned...

You know where I live... There's a charger in town.
Innkeep, be sure to let us know when and where you stop off in Mort's neck of the woods and we could all have an Innspiring get-together!

Hope I can wrestle an iceberg or two for the breakfast view. had two last year. One of them made it into our drinks for almost the entire season. Snap, crackle and pop!

I see "Quebec" on the list.... do you need any insight about where to go in the province? Going to see the whales?

Back