What I did for my slow season vacation...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ms 2_Cat Lady has inspired my next trip. I'll be driving Tessie to her place by way of Ontario, Quebec, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia... That is if I don't lose my nerve. I've found enough electric plugs to make all but one of my destinations, so I might rent a car to get to the first Viking settlement in North America. I won't spill the beans about anyone who needs to remain anonymous, but please feel free to email me if your inn might be on the way. One of the Innmates has a stuffed animal that was left behind that might be able to make the trip with me. I've blocked out May 15 - June 15 but might still change the dates a bit.
Diva, those photographs are spectacular. Machu Picchu is also on my bucket list..
You know where I live... There's a charger in town.
Innkeep, be sure to let us know when and where you stop off in Mort's neck of the woods and we could all have an Innspiring get-together!
OnTheShore said:
Innkeep, be sure to let us know when and where you stop off in Mort's neck of the woods and we could all have an Innspiring get-together!
I was going to drag her up there if we were on her route!

Wonder trip! You're so lucky now to have those memories, and the photos you made. Two questions:
  1. While you were there, did you say to yourself, I'm coming back here someday?
  2. If you did say that, do you think you really will?
I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!.
Arks said:
Wonder trip! You're so lucky now to have those memories, and the photos you made. Two questions:
I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!
I would love to go back to Africa, but I would choose to go to a different country to be able to see other animals & terrain. I want to see Victoria Falls someday.
While there I did say I want to come back. We have family that want to go and if the timing were right I would do it again. But because it's so far away and a good chunk of change to get there, more likely than not I will just keep working on my travel bucket list. We've got 2 more trips planned (January & April) so going back to Africa is not high on the priority list.
By the way, our trip in April came about because I had been there (Azores) as a port stop when I was on a cruise and said "I'm going to come back some day". April is the 'some day' and this time I'll be able to stay for more than a week to explore.
Breakfast Diva said:
But because it's so far away and a good chunk of change to get there...
Something a lot of people don't realize about traveling to exotic locales is that, while the air fare to get there is higher than a shorter trip from home, once you get there the rest of the trip expenses are often no more, or even a good deal less than a vacation in a place nearer to home. For instance, due to Peru being a relatively poor country, if you can find a good deal on air fare, a vacation to see Machu Picchu may not cost any more than a vacation to see Disney World.
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Something a lot of people don't realize about traveling to exotic locales is that, while the air fare to get there is higher than a shorter trip from home, once you get there the rest of the trip expenses are often no more, or even a good deal less than a vacation in a place nearer to home. For instance, due to Peru being a relatively poor country, if you can find a good deal on air fare, a vacation to see Machu Picchu may not cost any more than a vacation to see Disney World.
You're absolutely right about that! We tend to travel far away and save money. Instead of going to Hawaii which is really expensive (sorry HappyKeeper), we'll go to the South Pacific or Dominican Republic for a beach vacation. We can stay twice as long for the same or less money and have a wonderful tropical experience.
Hey, how did you nail the location of the next #1 on my travel bucket list?! Machu Picchu!
Breakfast Diva said:
Hey, how did you nail the location of the next #1 on my travel bucket list?! Machu Picchu!
I was there about 10 years ago. Loved it. We were there 2 days, first day with a guide, 2nd day just free to wander the place on our own all day. Unforgettable. If you can, add a week on a boat in Galapagos, too! I've done Galapagos twice.

That's awesome! I worked in several places in Africa and always told myself that I needed to get out and see the sights. I never did.
Thanks for sharing. Great pictures.

Fantastic photos...thanks so much for sharing! On my list of places I really want to visit also. Glad you had such a wonderful experience!

I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!.
Arks said:
I ask because I've said those words so many times, then never get back there. And I've had so many stay at my place and say those words, then they don't!
I would love to go back to Africa, but I would choose to go to a different country to be able to see other animals & terrain. I want to see Victoria Falls someday.
While there I did say I want to come back. We have family that want to go and if the timing were right I would do it again. But because it's so far away and a good chunk of change to get there, more likely than not I will just keep working on my travel bucket list. We've got 2 more trips planned (January & April) so going back to Africa is not high on the priority list.
By the way, our trip in April came about because I had been there (Azores) as a port stop when I was on a cruise and said "I'm going to come back some day". April is the 'some day' and this time I'll be able to stay for more than a week to explore.
Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
You're absolutely right about that! We tend to travel far away and save money. Instead of going to Hawaii which is really expensive (sorry HappyKeeper), we'll go to the South Pacific or Dominican Republic for a beach vacation. We can stay twice as long for the same or less money and have a wonderful tropical experience.
Breakfast Diva said:
I was there about 10 years ago. Loved it. We were there 2 days, first day with a guide, 2nd day just free to wander the place on our own all day. Unforgettable. If you can, add a week on a boat in Galapagos, too! I've done Galapagos twice.
We have had several guests that have done this combo and we are now thinking about it.

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
No apology needed. There is nothing like Hawaii and nothing reflects that more than the prices our market can bear. However, I did go to look at several lists of the most expensive travel destinations and you'll be surprised that Hawaii did not appear on a single list. Oslo led the way, followed by some of the usual suspects NY, Tokyo, Dubai, Copenhagen, Bora Bora, Paris etc.

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
No apology needed. There is nothing like Hawaii and nothing reflects that more than the prices our market can bear. However, I did go to look at several lists of the most expensive travel destinations and you'll be surprised that Hawaii did not appear on a single list. Oslo led the way, followed by some of the usual suspects NY, Tokyo, Dubai, Copenhagen, Bora Bora, Paris etc.
to be fair Paris can be fine as long as you shop around and can manage without a direct view of the eiffel tower

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
to be fair Paris can be fine as long as you shop around and can manage without a direct view of the eiffel tower
Jcam said:
I got away pretty cheaply in Paris staying near the Sorbonne. But I left the day the World Cup started. Can't imagine what the prices went up to.

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Agreed- we have enjoyed Paris without it being over the top- its just what appeared on some of the lists.

Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Arks said:
Breakfast Diva said:
It's probably the reason why Air is so big in Paris. More reasonable room rates.

Last May I used VRBO and got a WONDERFUL and reasonably priced Paris apartment, basically right across the street from Notre Dame. You just have to do your homework, which is my favorite part of traveling!
The neighborhood was full of sidewalk cafes and all were $20 and up for a meal, so not cheap!

Last May I used VRBO and got a WONDERFUL and reasonably priced Paris apartment, basically right across the street from Notre Dame. You just have to do your homework, which is my favorite part of traveling!
The neighborhood was full of sidewalk cafes and all were $20 and up for a meal, so not cheap!.
See and to me that is the LAST thing that I want for my vacation. I reserved a nice and still affordable hotel on the edge of the Marais, walking distance to all I wanted and still had someone clean up my room, make my bed and enjoyed all my meals out. It's Paris, I'm going to enjoy my croissant, my Kayser bread, my macaron and my meals. Staying in a place that I have to make my own bed and cook sounds like hell to me.

The neighborhood was full of sidewalk cafes and all were $20 and up for a meal, so not cheap!.
See and to me that is the LAST thing that I want for my vacation. I reserved a nice and still affordable hotel on the edge of the Marais, walking distance to all I wanted and still had someone clean up my room, make my bed and enjoyed all my meals out. It's Paris, I'm going to enjoy my croissant, my Kayser bread, my macaron and my meals. Staying in a place that I have to make my own bed and cook sounds like hell to me.
Generic said:
Staying in a place that I have to make my own bed and cook sounds like hell to me.
You make your bed on vacation? That's YOUR problem! ;-)

Generic said:
Staying in a place that I have to make my own bed and cook sounds like hell to me.
You make your bed on vacation? That's YOUR problem! ;-)
No. I want to come home to a clean room on vacation. It's so nice and relaxing to have someone else do it. I don't do self catered... ever!

I found if you went one block behind Notre Dame, the prices were about half. By ND a bottle of water was 3 E and one block over it was 1.50 E. Shops were cheaper also.

Back