What is the nicest thing a guest ever did or gave you out of gratitude?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've received nearly all of the above but a few stand out.
A nice couple from NH who only stayed one night was intrigued by a story I told at breakfast about this great little sugar mill in their area we had visited and bought pure maple syrup from while vacationing in the NE.
Two weeks after their stay, a wonderful note and a nice sized jug of this very same syrup arrived UPS. Of course, we didn't share it with other guests. We serve real maple syrup with brekfast, but this was for us to covet.
The most touching has been recently. A regular guest has taken up birdhouse building in his retirement and on his last stay he took a photo of the front entrance to our place and several months later this amazingly well crafted replica of our house is delivered. If I could figure out how to attach a photo here, I'd post it as this thing is simply incredible. Too nice to put outside and let the birds mess it up.

The aforementioned birdhouse gift.
HLB_Bird_House.jpg

And the model for it:
HLBfront.jpg

Oh, that's really cute! I love the hanging chili peppers!.
I'm still amazed at the detail and craftsmenship of it. The generosity and sincere mutual affection involved speaks for itself.
These are our favorite and best guests and could write a book on how to endear oneself to their innkeeper.
Those are little toohthpicks he cut, then glued together and painted to mimic the ristras we have hanging.

No, thats the perch for the birds.
See the little hole in the doors for the birds to go in and out of?

Oh, that's really cute! I love the hanging chili peppers!.
I'm still amazed at the detail and craftsmenship of it. The generosity and sincere mutual affection involved speaks for itself.
These are our favorite and best guests and could write a book on how to endear oneself to their innkeeper.
Those are little toohthpicks he cut, then glued together and painted to mimic the ristras we have hanging.
WOW that is wonderful. Great Guest!!!

Oh, okay. Then what is that white thing that looks like a dog?.
Oh, that is a little hand carved dog fetish from a local Native American artist.
He collects little white crystal rocks which I could walk out on our land and find thousands of in a minute and carves them. Most folks around here do multiple types of art.
Each of the 8 tribes we're surrounded by specialize in certain types of arts and crafts depending on what natural resources are the most abundant in their immediate area.
Down in our very dry, mesa filled valley, its mostly pottery, stone carvings, jewelry, etc.. The tribes higher up in the mountains with better pasture land do more of the rugs, weavings, etc. There are deposits of rocks with lots of mica in them and those higher up tribes do this type of micaceous SP? pottery where they grind and mix the mica into the clay that just glitters and shimmers in the light. Amazing stuff!
The Hispanics follow suit as well. Wood carvings, rugs, and such.

OMygoodness, guests have sent Christmas and Birthday presents to my boys until a couple of years ago.I get braceletts and assorted jewelry, chocolates, gift baskets, men helping to mow my some of my 11 acres, flowerbeds have been weeded for me, dinners cooked, babies watched. I have so many thank you cards that I finally decoupaged them all onto my desk in the office for everyone to see. I didn't know what else to do with them, this way they are being honored. There is more, I am having a brain fart
embaressed_smile.gif

It is incredible what people will do for you. Of course it means that we are all pretty impressive customer service people, right?

Wow! This has been an amazing thread. Now doesn't everyone feel loved and appreciated?! We've received so many wonderful gifts and cards. All very unexpected and very much appreciated. One of our favorite guests is an avid reader and used to send us huge boxes of all of her "used" books. They were all brand new, hard cover editions. I loved getting those books and so did our other guests as we would sometimes put them in our "lending library". (She has now opened up a B&B of her own in Alaska!). The best gift though, is when you're sad and they are sad to be leaving because you feel like you're saying goodbye to family.

We're still pretty new, so I don't have a long list, but I love it when guests have shown up with gifts for the ds5x2--hats, toys, coloring books--and given them money on occasion. The lady from Alabama who brought the child size Auburn hats astonished me... she had to have read our website and planned ahead! How thoughtful!
=)
Kk.

OMygoodness, guests have sent Christmas and Birthday presents to my boys until a couple of years ago.I get braceletts and assorted jewelry, chocolates, gift baskets, men helping to mow my some of my 11 acres, flowerbeds have been weeded for me, dinners cooked, babies watched. I have so many thank you cards that I finally decoupaged them all onto my desk in the office for everyone to see. I didn't know what else to do with them, this way they are being honored. There is more, I am having a brain fart
embaressed_smile.gif

It is incredible what people will do for you. Of course it means that we are all pretty impressive customer service people, right?.
If someone mowed for me or weeded my garden I would feel uncomfortable when it came time to charge for the room. I would feel they did my work. Believe me I would love it but I would feel I should give them a big discount.

embaressed_smile.gif

It is incredible what people will do for you. Of course it means that we are all pretty impressive customer service people, right?.
If someone mowed for me or weeded my garden I would feel uncomfortable when it came time to charge for the room. I would feel they did my work. Believe me I would love it but I would feel I should give them a big discount.
Believe me, I know exactly what you are talking about because I felt that same way - at first.
Those are people who have stayed here long before I was born. They consider this their place. If someone mows, it's because they are bored, their wifes are out shopping and they want something to do. It is like doing them a favor.
Really, I have families staying here, that have come since grandpa and grandma came on their honeymoon. To them, we are part of the family. Remember also, I have a resort, not a B&B. There is a difference (We shut the B and B doors as soon as we bought this property, because we had 11 month old twins).

Wow! This has been an amazing thread. Now doesn't everyone feel loved and appreciated?! We've received so many wonderful gifts and cards. All very unexpected and very much appreciated. One of our favorite guests is an avid reader and used to send us huge boxes of all of her "used" books. They were all brand new, hard cover editions. I loved getting those books and so did our other guests as we would sometimes put them in our "lending library". (She has now opened up a B&B of her own in Alaska!). The best gift though, is when you're sad and they are sad to be leaving because you feel like you're saying goodbye to family..
I have special guests that I am looking forward to seeing each year. Every week during my season someone is on their way and we make special things happening for them. Some want a certain chair in their cottage, I go and put it in for them, only for them, because it really doesn't belong there. Others love some special wine from this area. I will have a bottle in the room for them. So many things we all do for our guests, because our mentallity is to please and make people feel welcome. When that comes across, most guests will recipricate. Right?

Wow! This has been an amazing thread. Now doesn't everyone feel loved and appreciated?! We've received so many wonderful gifts and cards. All very unexpected and very much appreciated. One of our favorite guests is an avid reader and used to send us huge boxes of all of her "used" books. They were all brand new, hard cover editions. I loved getting those books and so did our other guests as we would sometimes put them in our "lending library". (She has now opened up a B&B of her own in Alaska!). The best gift though, is when you're sad and they are sad to be leaving because you feel like you're saying goodbye to family..
I have special guests that I am looking forward to seeing each year. Every week during my season someone is on their way and we make special things happening for them. Some want a certain chair in their cottage, I go and put it in for them, only for them, because it really doesn't belong there. Others love some special wine from this area. I will have a bottle in the room for them. So many things we all do for our guests, because our mentallity is to please and make people feel welcome. When that comes across, most guests will recipricate. Right?
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
So many things we all do for our guests, because our mentallity is to please and make people feel welcome. When that comes across, most guests will recipricate. Right?
Absolutely! You can't fake it... and people sure respond to it, don't they?
=)
Kk.

ugg, I hate typos. I found at least one in what I posted
cry_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

I don't remember the exact amout but we received a tip of over $500 and a very expensive gift basket for my dog that arrived for Christmas. Another guest gave us a very nice gift that cost over $200.

Back