What's your number 1 advice about innkeeping? Share please :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumitru

Reaction score
Hello people,
Currently I'm working on an extensive article about starting a B&B and things that this involves.
It would be amazing if some of you would like to share some info about your experience, a small tip/advice, maybe a weird story that surprised you. Something about starting, things you thought you planned out but ended up working differently, etc.
I will gladly provide a photo + link + description of the inn/B&B in the article.
You can write here or if you want to keep your username here anonymous, simply mail me at [email protected].
Thank you, I hope some of you will get involved :)
P.S. The article will go live on Tuesday, 14th of June.

My best advice is get to bed early! whatever time you used to go to bed - take off an hour!
And - don't try to do your own laundry all the time with more than 3 rooms - we use a full service and would never change - would never see the light of day!

Five tips:
Don’t be a cheapskate -- there is a nugget of truth in the old saying “you gotta spend money to make money.” You really can not afford to skimp on marketing nor on maintenance and upkeep. Another old saying with an underlying truth, “penny-wise, pound-foolish.” Certainly very few have unlimited deep pockets, so the trick is to be realistic, know your limits, and not over-extend yourself (although you may have to extend...).
Know what you are offering (your “unique selling proposition,” or USP) and market it appropriately. Don’t try to sell your place as something that it is not. You want to attract guests who will appreciate your offering, and avoid attracting guests whose expectations you will never be able to meet. Again, be realistic, know your limits, and do not overextend yourself. Everyone, your guests and yourself, will be happier.
You are going to need help. Cultivate a network of vendors and service providers that you can rely on. Be realistic in your expectations of them, understand the constraints they operate under, treat them as the valued professionals that they are, pay their bills in a timely manner, and they will favor you. (See “don’t be a cheapskate.”)
You may need employees. Finding, hiring, training, managing, and retaining good employees requires its own special skill set and mindset. One of the keys here is training -- training of the employee and training of yourself! The people that you hire are not mind-readers and will most likely not know right off the bat what it is you expect of them. You need to learn to communicate with them and how to do it, show them not just tell them, be realistic in your expectations of them, understand that people's lives can be complicated, treat them as the valued members of your team that they are, pay them well, and they will favor you. (See “you are going to need help” and "don't be a cheapskate.")
You are running a business. Your business needs to maintain adequate cash flow to meet ongoing expenses, and ultimately needs to generate revenue in excess of expenses. You need to know the numbers. Familiarize yourself with the basic principles of accounting and with the relevant tax codes (and other laws) that impact your business. Stay on top of your book-keeping and learn how to get the information out of your systems that you need to make decisions. (But know your limits, and do not overextend yourself. See “you are going to need help,” a professional accountant perhaps?)

My best advice: Unless you are qualified, hire a professional to do your website. This your major marketing tool and should not be taken lightly or cheaply. Make sure your site is responsive as well since most people use a smartphone to access these days.

Read the room.
Some guests want to chat and become friends. Some want to be alone and not be bothered.

I would also say building a good team of plumber, handyman, tiler, carpenter, builder, electrician etc is super key - don't wait till there is water coming out of the wall to get someone on speed dial!

Remember the 3 R's! To be a good host you must be happy with what you do, take time for yourself. Relax, Refresh, Rejuvenate

Others have given excellent advice - about your B & B and marketing it. Yes, being upfront with what you have is VERY important - I used to have 1 bathroom, and made certain EVERY reservation was aware of that.
IF you are "off the path" or rural, it is important to give people a reason to come to your area - and to stay with you. I made my area and my small city a destination. I made turn-by-turn routes to see things in my area, and nothing is too small to include because if it is there someone will be interested in it (I mark those places as FYI). Guests know nothing of your area and it is up to you to tell them why they should come. Rail-trails, Covered Bridges, Farmers markets, historic things, birthplace of, burial place of, attractions, golf courses, birding sites, wineries, orchards & U-Pick......... anything and everything. I must have done something right because we celebrate 20 years as a B & B (start-up) in July.
Also, never be afraid to share information or help someone AND be involved in your community. They have families who need a place to stay sometimes. I am an "import aka an alien" to my city although from this State originally. I built a reputation as being honest, helping when needed, and a person of integrity - these things help in getting local people to recommend you.

Remember the 3 R's! To be a good host you must be happy with what you do, take time for yourself. Relax, Refresh, Rejuvenate.
Copperhead said:
Remember the 3 R's! To be a good host you must be happy with what you do, take time for yourself. Relax, Refresh, Rejuvenate
And happy/comfortable with your home. I know I would never be comfortable living in a mansion - so I do not.
Years ago when I was very active in my State Association we held Board meetings at member B & Bs. Often they were beautiful old mansions. I would go home, look around at my house, and say "What a dump!" Then one day as I looked around at the 2 parlors, huge dining room, beautiful fretwork, and crystal chandeliers, I found myself thinking, "I am so glad I do not have to clean this place." I went home with a new appreciation of the house I was comfortable in and with. If the innkeeper is not comfortable with the surroundings, the guests will not be either.

I would also say building a good team of plumber, handyman, tiler, carpenter, builder, electrician etc is super key - don't wait till there is water coming out of the wall to get someone on speed dial!.
Jcam said:
I would also say building a good team of plumber, handyman, tiler, carpenter, builder, electrician etc is super key - don't wait till there is water coming out of the wall to get someone on speed dial!
I actually wrote something in a similar vein to this. I sent it via email to Dums

Others have given excellent advice - about your B & B and marketing it. Yes, being upfront with what you have is VERY important - I used to have 1 bathroom, and made certain EVERY reservation was aware of that.
IF you are "off the path" or rural, it is important to give people a reason to come to your area - and to stay with you. I made my area and my small city a destination. I made turn-by-turn routes to see things in my area, and nothing is too small to include because if it is there someone will be interested in it (I mark those places as FYI). Guests know nothing of your area and it is up to you to tell them why they should come. Rail-trails, Covered Bridges, Farmers markets, historic things, birthplace of, burial place of, attractions, golf courses, birding sites, wineries, orchards & U-Pick......... anything and everything. I must have done something right because we celebrate 20 years as a B & B (start-up) in July.
Also, never be afraid to share information or help someone AND be involved in your community. They have families who need a place to stay sometimes. I am an "import aka an alien" to my city although from this State originally. I built a reputation as being honest, helping when needed, and a person of integrity - these things help in getting local people to recommend you..
the small thing that someone will be interested in - we had a convention of people who collect and take photographs of Victorian post boxes - you would not think there was enough people in the world interested to make a convention

Jekyll and Hyde Syndrome.
People often arrive tired and travel weary, so seem miserable, a bit rude and unfriendly. Once they've had a good nights sleep it's like different people come down to breakfast who went up to bed the night before.

Start a pre-planning notebook or spreadsheet.
Read Read Read.
Just as the real estate brokers say - "location location location". A destination location and at least a 5-6 room inn will likely support you and your mortgage. A lesser location or smaller property can be a success also, but flexibility and adaptability to what works in your area will be essential. Make sure your local zoning/planning rules will let you proceed with your plans. Getting local rules and determinations about your project in writing will stand you in good stead when local officials move on to other areas.
You will need more upfront $ than you think you need.
You will need to be an expert on your house or building's construction and systems: plumbing, heating, air conditioning. You need to know how it all goes together and how it works in order to maintain it yourself, or to hire competent help.
You will need to be your own marketer and bookkeeper. A guest friendly easy to use website with great SEO is a must. I find a reservation system with the capacity for related expense records to be a big help. Again - good to know at least the basics of how those processes work.
A critical eye must be used to evaluate your property, your rooms and your service. Is yours up to the standards you expect when staying in lodgings yourself?
The food part is really important! Past restaurant experience will be a huge help in menu and service planning. Especially if you are cooking and serving without additional help, all kitchen and dining room layout plus cooking and service procedures must be efficient so you can do it all, roll with the punches and keep a smile on your face!
Guests will puzzle you, pester you and absolutely be a pleasure. If making them happy genuinely makes you happy - inn-keeping just may be for you!

Thank you everybody for your input! So far I got emails from 3 people. I'll keep this alive for a few more days, in case someone else wants to participate.
If there will be a few more "submissions", I might have to make this a separate article just with real-life advice from real heroes :)

People often arrive tired and travel weary, so seem miserable, a bit rude and unfriendly. Once they've had a good nights sleep it's like different people come down to breakfast who went up to bed the night before..
Highlands John said:
People often arrive tired and travel weary, so seem miserable, a bit rude and unfriendly. Once they've had a good nights sleep it's like different people come down to breakfast who went up to bed the night before.
I've actually met a few of these individuals (as a customer, not as a host). It was really funny to see grumpy people arriving at 14:00, and the next time you see them, in the evening or in the morning - happy, splashing water at the pool like little children, etc.

Quick Update: just to be clear: I will post only the replies that I actually get by email, or those that provide a name/URL here in the comment.
This way the thread can be discussed and receive comments even from members that don't want to be included, but are simply sharing advice for anyone else stumbling into this thread.
So, IF YOU WANT TO BE INCLUDED IN THE ARTICLE, please STATE SO in the comment OR SEND THE COMMENT VIA EMAIL (a copy).
Thank you :)

People often arrive tired and travel weary, so seem miserable, a bit rude and unfriendly. Once they've had a good nights sleep it's like different people come down to breakfast who went up to bed the night before..
Highlands John said:
We are lucky enough to have a really nice ocean view. People who come from the airport in the dark (a nearly one hour drive on very dark windy streets) are usually quite surprised when they see the view in the daylight the next day! And they forget the dark, scary drive.

Highlands John said:
I've actually met a few of these individuals (as a customer, not as a host). It was really funny to see grumpy people arriving at 14:00, and the next time you see them, in the evening or in the morning - happy, splashing water at the pool like little children, etc.
dumitru said:
Highlands John said:
I have donned them Stepfords. If you have seen the movie Stepford Wives you will know why. And to be understanding as a host, all you have to do is spend a day in travel and you too can join the Stepford fraternity. I call them this as it is like someone has replaced them during the night with someone else, they are not the same people who checked in.
And so the replacements get to enjoy a warm cup of hospitality at your table, fat and happy. Life is good.
thumbs_up.gif

Back