What's your number 1 advice about innkeeping? Share please :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Provide friendly service. Our job is to delight customer not to judge them. - from a success magazine. No, I doubt anyone in the mag ever ran a B&B for them to know what an innkeeper goes through. However, how cool is it having people stay over and pay for the privilege of doing so. Basically, guests are paying mortgage payment!
thumbs_up.gif

Not sure where Canada fits in list of destinations. Newfoundland has appeared on many traveller's bucket lists (see Innkeep). I've seen a great influx in Americans and Europeans travel here extensively.

For start up innkeepers. When you go to name your B&B please take into consideration alphabet order especially if your B&B area has a lot of hotels, B&BS, motels, and inns….

For start up innkeepers. When you go to name your B&B please take into consideration alphabet order especially if your B&B area has a lot of hotels, B&BS, motels, and inns…..
and that its easy to say and spell! also that its not too similar to any other local names - we have a place same street which is only one letter different c and K so if its said rather than written down it sounds the same
Also pretend you are answering the phone with it about 30 times and see if it works saying it all the time!

For start up innkeepers. When you go to name your B&B please take into consideration alphabet order especially if your B&B area has a lot of hotels, B&BS, motels, and inns…..
and that its easy to say and spell! also that its not too similar to any other local names - we have a place same street which is only one letter different c and K so if its said rather than written down it sounds the same
Also pretend you are answering the phone with it about 30 times and see if it works saying it all the time!
I always advise that if your house was built by Jacob Schmidtt, DO NOT name your B & B Schmidtt House.

I always advise that if your house was built by Jacob Schmidtt, DO NOT name your B & B Schmidtt House.
was he like the ikea of houses? ie lots of them? speaking of new venture if it comes off is going to be "The Lodge Mytown - what do people think? no other properties have lodge in the name

was he like the ikea of houses? ie lots of them? speaking of new venture if it comes off is going to be "The Lodge Mytown - what do people think? no other properties have lodge in the name
No, just try answering the phone with that name as your business.
Re Lodge - i do not know about the UK, but lodge brings to mind rural and/or rustic here=. The innmate here with Lodge in the name is rural and on a lake. Wou;d it get confused the that motel chain - Travel..........?

Re Lodge - i do not know about the UK, but lodge brings to mind rural and/or rustic here=. The innmate here with Lodge in the name is rural and on a lake. Wou;d it get confused the that motel chain - Travel..........?
see in the UK we don't have motels as we don't have the land for that kind set up but am going to use "the lodge mytown as its name and answer the phone myname and the lodge harrogate and am just using the one phone number and line for both - ie we have other B&B's who have additional vacation rentals and coach houses so its
Happy B&B and turnip selfcatering how can we help you?

see in the UK we don't have motels as we don't have the land for that kind set up but am going to use "the lodge mytown as its name and answer the phone myname and the lodge harrogate and am just using the one phone number and line for both - ie we have other B&B's who have additional vacation rentals and coach houses so its
Is this for the new building you are trying to buy? Lodge for me is rustic with stuffed animals hanging off the walls. The Condo near by has Lodge but that's what the person in the 1800s named it. The high up B&B behind us has the name lodge as well, sooo…… do whatever you want! Why do you want it separate?

Is this for the new building you are trying to buy? Lodge for me is rustic with stuffed animals hanging off the walls. The Condo near by has Lodge but that's what the person in the 1800s named it. The high up B&B behind us has the name lodge as well, sooo…… do whatever you want! Why do you want it separate?
1) Disability compliance over 20 rooms must have a dedicated room
2) VAT this is charged at 20% once you get over £89,000 in turnover while we are starting with it we can keep that revenue under the vat to start so that will save us 20% tax on the 2nd properties turnover at least to start.
(3) slightly different proposition at least to start as going to do cold buffet only till we can get the kitchen fully refurbed which is going to cost a fortune. so easier to differentiate the 2 products.
(4) double the marketing

2) VAT this is charged at 20% once you get over £89,000 in turnover while we are starting with it we can keep that revenue under the vat to start so that will save us 20% tax on the 2nd properties turnover at least to start.
(3) slightly different proposition at least to start as going to do cold buffet only till we can get the kitchen fully refurbed which is going to cost a fortune. so easier to differentiate the 2 products.
(4) double the marketing
Makes sense. Did you "get" the property yet? You are planning on bringing it up to the MyName standards in the end, right? Name it that way, not lesser.
Or we can have a contest! Name Jcam's new place!
wink_smile.gif

(4) double the marketing
Makes sense. Did you "get" the property yet? You are planning on bringing it up to the MyName standards in the end, right? Name it that way, not lesser.
wink_smile.gif

will do but its going to be a big job spending all this week booking in trades! trouble is long waiting list for anyone worth having.
New roof
New Windows
15 new bathrooms
15 carpets
chucking out/freecycling/tipping all furniture
decorating, plastering, skimming - dealing with all the deliveries
all while running this place at top speed to keep the money coming in - its going to be fun.

(4) double the marketing
wink_smile.gif

will do but its going to be a big job spending all this week booking in trades! trouble is long waiting list for anyone worth having.
New roof
New Windows
15 new bathrooms
15 carpets
all while running this place at top speed to keep the money coming in - its going to be fun.
dive in!
we are 90% finished.
(unless you count the fact that a shower worked for one guest this morning and when the second person went to shower, it just didn't turn on. Nothin'. huh.)
best of luck! big projects ahead of you!

(4) double the marketing
wink_smile.gif

New roof
New Windows
15 new bathrooms
15 carpets
Enjoy the ride of a lifetime!!!
regular_smile.gif
It can be fun! And you know we want to hear all about it!

Back