What's your take on 2 beds in a room?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed..
Midwest Madam said:
Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed.
there is no way to accurately compare from my queen bed to yours or maddie's. the room photo online may be a better vantage point than the other rooms, the colors, or real wood vs white wicker... Little things may sway the bookings of all of our rooms.
I don't want anything girlie. I don't want anything velvety and dark, I don't want juvenile college girl decor. On the other hand a tub vs a shower mayb be at play... So many differentials to consider. Then there is location in the house, first floor, second, front or back, looks out on road, or aback yard, price.
I wish there was a way to figure it out, would be kind of fun!
Only sometimes do the guests say why they picked a room or why they won't take a room. And we've had them all -
  • No, the room is blue
  • Yes, the room is blue
  • Love the view
  • Hate looking out on the road (same room)
  • My grandmother's name is...
  • Loved the old brass beds
  • Hate the beds.
  • Love how cozy it feels
  • Hate the sloped ceilings
  • Etc

Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed..
Midwest Madam said:
Our room with the day bed as well as the queen is our best selling room! The other, smaller room, acts as overflow. It has one queen bed.
there is no way to accurately compare from my queen bed to yours or maddie's. the room photo online may be a better vantage point than the other rooms, the colors, or real wood vs white wicker... Little things may sway the bookings of all of our rooms.
I don't want anything girlie. I don't want anything velvety and dark, I don't want juvenile college girl decor. On the other hand a tub vs a shower mayb be at play... So many differentials to consider. Then there is location in the house, first floor, second, front or back, looks out on road, or aback yard, price.
Only sometimes do the guests say why they picked a room or why they won't take a room. And we've had them all -
  • No, the room is blue
  • Yes, the room is blue
  • Love the view
  • Hate looking out on the road (same room)
  • My grandmother's name is...
  • Loved the old brass beds
  • Hate the beds.
  • Love how cozy it feels
  • Hate the sloped ceilings
  • Etc

Midwest Madam said:
You may remember last year I was concerned the 'plague' room wasn't booking. This year it is running 60% occ. Lower price? Better photo? Reno?
Walk-ins are taking it for Pete's sake!
I may use the same colors in another room!
And, the gen x & y crowd are booking it.

Midwest Madam said:
Sorry, double posts.

When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it..
April said:
When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it.
that is what we did, took what was called by po's "the twin room" which they told us business travelers preferred , but of course they NEver wanted a twin, one or two of them... Now it is a king and booked more than the queens. Agree April, the time mother and daughter stayed one night only and needed two beds, was not worth it. Girl friend getaways didn't even want it.
Location - we do a good girlfriend getaway biz. But. We lost one extra bed and gained more biz.
I can't totally do away with the second beds and I'm nervous about losing one more 'option' for any reason.
This weekend? All the second beds are in use. Families in two of the rooms. Seniors who just want extra space in the other.
I've already passed the dog biz off to another inn. Not sure if losing the 'family/girlfriend' biz i's a good idea.
Always a big decision.

When possible, I would opt for 1 bed and a secondary dual purpose piece, i.e. some piece of furniture that you can sit on to relax (day bed, chair that folds out to twin bed).
We just had our new sofa/chaise/bed I posted in another thread used as a bed and it got glowing reviews from the slightly older than middle aged guest. She said it was very comfortable and much better than a traditional sofabed.
During the day it's a smaller sofa with a chaise at one end which you can relax on and then it makes out to a double bed when needed.

Madeleine said:
Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?
Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?
Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).
It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it.

Madeleine said:
Would you not stay at a B&B where the only rooms they had remaining had 2 beds? Would you always pick the room with one bed vs the room with 2 beds? Even at the same price?
Why? What is the pox associated with 2 beds? Thinking the room is going to be too small? What's the thinking?
Usually what I hear is this, 'Oh, we don't need a room that big.' When I tell them the price is the same it does not change their minds. This is sight unseen. They have not seen the rooms online or in person (altho I get that in person also).
It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it..
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it.
Bingo! We hear that one a lot! 'Oh, I don't want to take a room from someone who needs 2 beds!'
Which is why I don't mention the second bed if this is a cold call. But it's hard to avert their eyes if they're walk-ins!
What I find odd is that most hotels have 2 beds or 1 king bed. Does anyone think twice about taking the last double room if they need a place to stay?

Madeleine said:
It finally dawned on me that my reaction would be just that: "I don't need that." It has nothing to do with the price. I simply don't need that space, but someone else might. I'd feel awful and guilty if I had a room with unused capacity, and some weary family was out there with no place to stay. It even extends beyond that. I only need one bed. I can go anywhere. I know you're a small operation, and you might need to save that room for somebody who does need the space. It doesn't occur to me the room might go completely empty. I just don't want to be the one who prevented you from giving it to the person who needs it..
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Bingo! We hear that one a lot! 'Oh, I don't want to take a room from someone who needs 2 beds!'
Which is why I don't mention the second bed if this is a cold call. But it's hard to avert their eyes if they're walk-ins!
What I find odd is that most hotels have 2 beds or 1 king bed. Does anyone think twice about taking the last double room if they need a place to stay?
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
No, but everyone knows that a hotel has tons of inventory. Some seem to think unlimited inventory. You only have a few rooms. I don't want to be the one to use something I don't need and prevent you from making it available to someone who does need it. Give them permission to take the room. "I know it's more than you need, but experience has taught me that very few B&B travelers want two beds in a room; those are hotel folks, and they don't know what they're missing. Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room.

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
No, but everyone knows that a hotel has tons of inventory. Some seem to think unlimited inventory. You only have a few rooms. I don't want to be the one to use something I don't need and prevent you from making it available to someone who does need it. Give them permission to take the room. "I know it's more than you need, but experience has taught me that very few B&B travelers want two beds in a room; those are hotel folks, and they don't know what they're missing. Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room.
"Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room"
And you tell them that, they'll be asking for a discount!

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
I'll give that a try... hopefully it doesn't end up with, 'Well...if you think it's going to be empty, how about knocking $50 off the price?'

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
"Really, if you don't take it, it's likely to sit empty." Now, your guests are doing you a favor by taking the room"
Breakfast Diva said:
I just said that!

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
I'll give that a try... hopefully it doesn't end up with, 'Well...if you think it's going to be empty, how about knocking $50 off the price?'
Madeleine said:
OH, good point! Yikes, it comes from all directions, doesn't it?
"You want a discount? You little goose! Now you're just being silly!" Insert bemused chortle and change subject here. You don't want to get into an open debate about your rates and policies.
How about, instead of "it'll just be empty," you say, "Experience has taught me that its going to be taken by someone who only needs one bed. It might as well be you!"

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I just said that!
Madeleine said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I just said that!
Great minds think alike! I didn't see your post before I typed. LOL
lightbulb.gif

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
"You want a discount? You little goose! Now you're just being silly!" Insert bemused chortle and change subject here. You don't want to get into an open debate about your rates and policies.
How about, instead of "it'll just be empty," you say, "Experience has taught me that its going to be taken by someone who only needs one bed. It might as well be you!"
IronGate said:
I like that one better!

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
I like that one better!
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
I like that one better!
thumbs_up.gif

Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
Madeleine said:
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
I like that one better!
Madeleine said:
IronGate said:
I like that one better!
thumbs_up.gif

Good one!

When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it..
April said:
When we had a bedroom with 2 twin beds it was always the last one to book. Now that bedroom is set up with be king and books all the time and the bedroom looks larger. It was the best change we did - for a few guests that are looking for 2 beds was not worth it.
that is what we did, took what was called by po's "the twin room" which they told us business travelers preferred , but of course they NEver wanted a twin, one or two of them... Now it is a king and booked more than the queens. Agree April, the time mother and daughter stayed one night only and needed two beds, was not worth it. Girl friend getaways didn't even want it.
You are right, mother-daughter combo usually does fine with one big bed. This days we care less and less having families with kids cramming into the bedroom with more than 1 bed-to much work.

We have two rooms that can sleep up to four. One has a Queen with built in bunks and one has a King with a trundle bed. Both of these rooms are popular, not only for families, but for people traveling together who don't want to share a bed, including spouses! Ha! I don't think it has ever been a negative for the guests, often they just use the extra bed to lay their belongings on or as a sofa. We don't advertise the extra beds as we prefer only double occupancy, but it is there as an option when people ask...

We have two rooms that can sleep up to four. One has a Queen with built in bunks and one has a King with a trundle bed. Both of these rooms are popular, not only for families, but for people traveling together who don't want to share a bed, including spouses! Ha! I don't think it has ever been a negative for the guests, often they just use the extra bed to lay their belongings on or as a sofa. We don't advertise the extra beds as we prefer only double occupancy, but it is there as an option when people ask....
Older guy here with wife, daughter, SIL and grandkids said his daughter planned the whole vacation and we were one of the only b&b's that A) took kids and B) had two beds.
Said his daughter loves b&b's but had a tough time on this trip finding ones that could fit 3 in a room or let the older folks have two beds.
It's one reason I mention the two beds on our home page.

Back