When guests become friends it gets sticky

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend coming to stay with us, the first time in 11 years. Her son and new wife are driving her here and I sent them a GC for a two night stay, as a nice gesture. Even though I never got a wedding invite. I called it a wedding gift.
He "chat'd" me on FB to see if they can bring their new puppy to stay in the room. REALLY DUDE?
Family and friends can be quite ignorant about B&B's... all that to say, I said no. I have other rooms here the same time, so they better tow the line!.
my problem is people who know you slightly who feel its perfectly ok to "pop round" you wouldn't pop round to someone's office or Dog grooming parlour? would you?
We don't get many people we know dropping by but we get a fair number of "tire kickers". Yesterday I was in my grubbiest clothes, hair tied in a knot, hot and sweaty in the garden planting potatoes. DH is rototilling the other veggie beds...also obviously busy at 1:00 pm before guests arrive at 3.
A nervy woman walks off the street, through the picket fence that leads to the back yard (we had hopped that the picket fence would deter the "lookers") and saunters down to the fenced in veggie garden waiting for us to stop. DH greeted her warmly...me , not so much. Could she see our accommodations? DH says SURE....DW will show you through. UGHHHHHH
So I pulled off the gloves, apologized for the attire, heaved myself out of the dirt and showed her one suite. What does she say? "Oh it looks just like your web site!" Well yeah...sighl
And so it begins...another season....will I make it? Keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a friend coming to stay with us, the first time in 11 years. Her son and new wife are driving her here and I sent them a GC for a two night stay, as a nice gesture. Even though I never got a wedding invite. I called it a wedding gift.
He "chat'd" me on FB to see if they can bring their new puppy to stay in the room. REALLY DUDE?
Family and friends can be quite ignorant about B&B's... all that to say, I said no. I have other rooms here the same time, so they better tow the line!.
my problem is people who know you slightly who feel its perfectly ok to "pop round" you wouldn't pop round to someone's office or Dog grooming parlour? would you?
We don't get many people we know dropping by but we get a fair number of "tire kickers". Yesterday I was in my grubbiest clothes, hair tied in a knot, hot and sweaty in the garden planting potatoes. DH is rototilling the other veggie beds...also obviously busy at 1:00 pm before guests arrive at 3.
A nervy woman walks off the street, through the picket fence that leads to the back yard (we had hopped that the picket fence would deter the "lookers") and saunters down to the fenced in veggie garden waiting for us to stop. DH greeted her warmly...me , not so much. Could she see our accommodations? DH says SURE....DW will show you through. UGHHHHHH
So I pulled off the gloves, apologized for the attire, heaved myself out of the dirt and showed her one suite. What does she say? "Oh it looks just like your web site!" Well yeah...sighl
And so it begins...another season....will I make it? Keeping my fingers crossed.
And 10 to 1 she did not book!

How about a sign on the gate: "PRIVATE - Tours must be scheduled in advance." Or train your hubby better :)

How about a sign on the gate: "PRIVATE - Tours must be scheduled in advance." Or train your hubby better :)
Well I have thought of both of those but our cottage is on the other side of the gate, and guests are allowed to go into the area and down to the veggie garden so the private sign would not work. As for training hubby...well good luck with that one...he's been in training 30 years and is still just a big gentle giant when it comes to any kind of confrontation.
But thanks for the ear...I hope all that steam I let off didn't burn you!
teeth_smile.gif

Back