When the inn has a pet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Putting a guest with allergies in a room that has had animals in it is as bad as putting a non-smoker in a smoking room. Unless you have a separate pet-designated room, how can you be sure that it's clean enough for someone with pet allergies? You can't.
I don't care how well behaved dogs are or how clean, they still smell like dog. It's hard enough getting the people smells out of rooms..
I've had pet allergy people in that room...no problems whatsoever. No reactions, no dog smells. If you don't accept pets, then you are simply making assumptions, rather than speaking from experience, right?
Little Blue said:
I've had pet allergy people in that room...no problems whatsoever. No reactions, no dog smells. If you don't accept pets, then you are simply making assumptions, rather than speaking from experience, right?
I lived in San Francisco for years with my cat in a two bedroom apartment with a balcony. There was no smell or anything from the cat. My cousin came to visit with his wife who was allergic as a child to pet dander, but they didn't even think about problems staying at my place.
Within one hour her face blew up and they had to sleep on the balcony in their sleeping bags. She had no clue she was still allergic.
Like I said, I love cats and dogs. And I often astound my B&B guests who don't realize I have a Russian Wolfhound stashed in our roomy quarters. They often find out through conversation or see him peering out at them from our loft window while they are walking around and ask to see him.
But not in my guest rooms, although when we still had our cat we saw evidence of "cat sneak in" fur on a white chair once in one suite.
RIki
There is also a world of difference between an apartment that a cat LIVES in and a professionally cleaned B&B guest room that hosts dogs on an short-term occasional basis. No doubt people with pet allergies would have a hard time in our personal space, too.
Little Blue said:
There is also a world of difference between an apartment that a cat LIVES in and a professionally cleaned B&B guest room that hosts dogs on an short-term occasional basis. No doubt people with pet allergies would have a hard time in our personal space, too.
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B! You make it sound as if we clean our personal spaces with less vigor than the B&B.
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B!
Ahhh, not quite. If HE wants it cleaned, he is welcome to do it. I have my hands full already.....
gillumhouse said:
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B!
Ahhh, not quite. If HE wants it cleaned, he is welcome to do it. I have my hands full already.....
Eeeyew! So, are we talking really nasty and gross personal quarters?
barf.gif
You're really mean making a man on crutches fend for him self.
wink_smile.gif

DW and I both had parents who were hoarders and so both abhor clutter and filth. EVERYTHING around here gets a spit shine. This is also the reason we no longer have pets.
Yep, I am at his beck & call with enough stuff - all the heavy lifting. I do not believe in enabling. After his 6-way, I gave him the first week at home to whine and be "needy" and then it was do it yourself. He can get around on crutches and then in a wheelchair until he goes out feet first. When I start SNEEZING instead of just sneezing, he knows it is time to vac with the snorkle dohickey.
I come from a long line of pack rats (we KNOW that within a couple weeks of throwing it out, we will need it) and DH has all his tools, reloading bench & supplies, matting table, drill press, etc in what should be a sun room and my office, then books on art, motorcycles, guns, history, and now he is gettng into airplanes.... plus his collection of frames, watercolor paper, canvas, easels, drawing table, magazinesm satellite radio, regular radio, TV, ..... in what is supposed to be our living room. My Library is a disaster area again right now since we are back to band rehearsals and the sax case is downstairs until Aug 23 in addition to the stuff that I swear mates and multiplies every night of papers, etc overpflowing the large plastic tub I have been trying to get it into....
DH still has the receipt for the purchase of his 1960 BSA Gold Star racing bike - the one he crashed on Feb 1, 1964 and left the hospital from on Jan 31, 1965.
gillumhouse said:
DH still has the receipt for the purchase of his 1960 BSA Gold Star racing bike - the one he crashed on Feb 1, 1964 and left the hospital from on Jan 31, 1965.
Okay I needed a good chuckle, thank you. Not the getting hurt part, but the receipt part.
If anything sits around here for more than 24hours it goes by by. I am insane about it, and OCD is fairly close. I watched a program on OCD the other night and looked over and S.O. was shaking his head "Yes, you have it" one way to keep the clutter away...live with me.
There is no telling what's in the boxes in the garage here or some in the den. I'd like to put it all by the curb for the trash but my dh says that I'd be destroying his "memories". I rather live with someone who likes to throw receipts and that kind of stuff away than deal with a paper collector. It's a burden.... haha! Thus the invention of the de-crapification term. :)
Samster said:
There is no telling what's in the boxes in the garage here or some in the den. I'd like to put it all by the curb for the trash but my dh says that I'd be destroying his "memories". I rather live with someone who likes to throw receipts and that kind of stuff away than deal with a paper collector. It's a burden.... haha! Thus the invention of the de-crapification term. :)
Does he save every box anything ever came in? Oy! I can't talk. The majority of the 'stuff' that is here is mine. I collect stuff, hubs collects women who collect stuff, but they all leave him with nothing when they go.

Putting a guest with allergies in a room that has had animals in it is as bad as putting a non-smoker in a smoking room. Unless you have a separate pet-designated room, how can you be sure that it's clean enough for someone with pet allergies? You can't.
I don't care how well behaved dogs are or how clean, they still smell like dog. It's hard enough getting the people smells out of rooms..
Proud Texan said:
It's hard enough getting the people smells out of rooms.
Ha! I am on my third washer load of shams, quilts and bedspreads that my housekeeper brought down today because they smelled funny.
Did you have some clowns staying with you?? :)
Samster said:
Did you have some clowns staying with you?? :)
>Rim Shot<

Little Blue said:
I lived in San Francisco for years with my cat in a two bedroom apartment with a balcony. There was no smell or anything from the cat. My cousin came to visit with his wife who was allergic as a child to pet dander, but they didn't even think about problems staying at my place.
Within one hour her face blew up and they had to sleep on the balcony in their sleeping bags. She had no clue she was still allergic.
Like I said, I love cats and dogs. And I often astound my B&B guests who don't realize I have a Russian Wolfhound stashed in our roomy quarters. They often find out through conversation or see him peering out at them from our loft window while they are walking around and ask to see him.
But not in my guest rooms, although when we still had our cat we saw evidence of "cat sneak in" fur on a white chair once in one suite.
RIki
Little Blue said:
Who the heck do you think cleans the personal space? The same person who "professionally cleans the B&B! You make it sound as if we clean our personal spaces with less vigor than the B&B.
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

DW and I both had parents who were hoarders and so both abhor clutter and filth. EVERYTHING around here gets a spit shine. This is also the reason we no longer have pets.
Yep, I am at his beck & call with enough stuff - all the heavy lifting. I do not believe in enabling. After his 6-way, I gave him the first week at home to whine and be "needy" and then it was do it yourself. He can get around on crutches and then in a wheelchair until he goes out feet first. When I start SNEEZING instead of just sneezing, he knows it is time to vac with the snorkle dohickey.
I come from a long line of pack rats (we KNOW that within a couple weeks of throwing it out, we will need it) and DH has all his tools, reloading bench & supplies, matting table, drill press, etc in what should be a sun room and my office, then books on art, motorcycles, guns, history, and now he is gettng into airplanes.... plus his collection of frames, watercolor paper, canvas, easels, drawing table, magazinesm satellite radio, regular radio, TV, ..... in what is supposed to be our living room. My Library is a disaster area again right now since we are back to band rehearsals and the sax case is downstairs until Aug 23 in addition to the stuff that I swear mates and multiplies every night of papers, etc overpflowing the large plastic tub I have been trying to get it into....
gillumhouse said:
Okay I needed a good chuckle, thank you. Not the getting hurt part, but the receipt part.
If anything sits around here for more than 24hours it goes by by. I am insane about it, and OCD is fairly close. I watched a program on OCD the other night and looked over and S.O. was shaking his head "Yes, you have it" one way to keep the clutter away...live with me.
Samster said:
Does he save every box anything ever came in? Oy! I can't talk. The majority of the 'stuff' that is here is mine. I collect stuff, hubs collects women who collect stuff, but they all leave him with nothing when they go.
Yes, he does save the boxes that things come in, for the most part. Except he's realized that it's not worth it for things that have no warranty or can't be repaired because you can't send it back in the box anyway if it can't be repaired or manufacturer won't repair it but would rather replace it. He used to save boxes for stuff for when we moved, until this last move here when the packers ignored the boxes for TVs and stuff and packed them the way the wanted (worst packers in any move, ever).
Nonetheless, my sports car in the garage has empty electronics boxes stacked on top of it!

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Yes, he does save the boxes that things come in, for the most part. Except he's realized that it's not worth it for things that have no warranty or can't be repaired because you can't send it back in the box anyway if it can't be repaired or manufacturer won't repair it but would rather replace it. He used to save boxes for stuff for when we moved, until this last move here when the packers ignored the boxes for TVs and stuff and packed them the way the wanted (worst packers in any move, ever).
Nonetheless, my sports car in the garage has empty electronics boxes stacked on top of it!
Antiques in the original boxes are worth more. My question is - if you are going to keep it in the box, why did you buy it?
I know what you are saying about "Must be shipped back in original box...."

True but funny/not funny story about PETS..............a guest stayed here months ago then wrote Trip Advisor about our place.....bla.bla..bla.. then comments about he can tell we allow pets as he can smell a slight pet order. Guess what that Inn suite he was in has never had a pet in it (only the Cottage) ....but it has 2 pictures (1 oil .1 print) of DOGS ....the power of suggestion !!!!..Mary in Bridgewater , Va..
Mary at Bridgewater Inn and Cottage said:
True but funny/not funny story about PETS..............a guest stayed here months ago then wrote Trip Advisor about our place.....bla.bla..bla.. then comments about he can tell we allow pets as he can smell a slight pet order. Guess what that Inn suite he was in has never had a pet in it (only the Cottage) ....but it has 2 pictures (1 oil .1 print) of DOGS ....the power of suggestion !!!!..Mary in Bridgewater , Va.
Were they playing poker?
smileystooges.gif

Ha .Ha. Ha. ! I've seen that picture. NO...cigar smoking/poker playing dog picture in the B&B just in my house (I save the best for me) HA..Ha..Ha..
poke.gif
Mary in Bridgewater,Va.

Hey,
Slightly off topic but we were looking for something like this to protect the couch in our living quarters from the dog hair and mess of never being able to resist letting our dogs on the couch.
Its like a slip cover with bolsters that is made of some kind of sticky fabric that the hair clings to and you then either vacuum it off or throw it in the washer.
For $78 for the sofa size, it seems like it would give some peace of mind to those innkeepers who do allow pets, but worry about the guests letting them get up on the couch or chairs in the room.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14105&cmpid=01csent&ref=3665&subref=AA&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=23-47670283-2

Little Blue said:
RIki
Little Blue said:
gillumhouse said:
barf.gif
wink_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
Samster said:
Antiques in the original boxes are worth more. My question is - if you are going to keep it in the box, why did you buy it?
I know what you are saying about "Must be shipped back in original box...."
Hmmm....every antique I've ever bought or owned was used and loved by someone(s). :) But what you're saying is true about a lot of collectibles, I guess.

Hey,
Slightly off topic but we were looking for something like this to protect the couch in our living quarters from the dog hair and mess of never being able to resist letting our dogs on the couch.
Its like a slip cover with bolsters that is made of some kind of sticky fabric that the hair clings to and you then either vacuum it off or throw it in the washer.
For $78 for the sofa size, it seems like it would give some peace of mind to those innkeepers who do allow pets, but worry about the guests letting them get up on the couch or chairs in the room.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14105&cmpid=01csent&ref=3665&subref=AA&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=23-47670283-2.
That's what doggie beds are for :) Cocker spaniel hair seems to get everywhere.

Hey,
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=14105&cmpid=01csent&ref=3665&subref=AA&srccode=cii_9324560&cpncode=23-47670283-2.
That's a neat idea! I give guests an old quilt to use, but those covers could be bought to match the furniture.

Back