When you just do not remember a guest

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember my first few guests right down to the car they were driving and the clothes they were wearing. Now, once a guest leaves, unless I've made a notation about them, they're out of my memory. However, If they become repeat guests I remember them after that..
Country Girl said:
I remember my first few guests right down to the car they were driving and the clothes they were wearing. Now, once a guest leaves, unless I've made a notation about them, they're out of my memory. However, If they become repeat guests I remember them after that.
I am sad our first guests weren't memorable in a happy way. A young couple who never left their room for two days. I was heartbroken.
Sounds like you do remember them :)

DW were lamenting over the fact that we can't remember our guests from the previous week. It's funny, we remember our first few guests, but now there all becoming a blur..
This is happening to me too as we approach the 18 month mark of being in business! I don't remember the unremarkable guests now - meaning they were nice but we either didn't get to chat much or they weren't around much or something. There is a whole list of "phantom" guests that my husband never met and would have no clue about. I remember our first guests for the first month or so very clearly.
Samster said:
This is happening to me too as we approach the 18 month mark of being in business! I don't remember the unremarkable guests now - meaning they were nice but we either didn't get to chat much or they weren't around much or something. There is a whole list of "phantom" guests that my husband never met and would have no clue about. I remember our first guests for the first month or so very clearly.
Gosh, you're just 6-months older than us! Aren't you loving it? We have exceeded our financial projections for the first year and have been doing much better than we anticipated. How has business been for you? Have you made any major changes to your operations or policies since opening?
I have to say that this forum has been a gold mine of information and even when non-specific advise is given, it's all food for thought and sometimes brings about a solution that might have otherwise been overlooked.

DW were lamenting over the fact that we can't remember our guests from the previous week. It's funny, we remember our first few guests, but now there all becoming a blur..
Samster said:
Gosh, you're just 6-months older than us! Aren't you loving it? We have exceeded our financial projections for the first year and have been doing much better than we anticipated. How has business been for you? Have you made any major changes to your operations or policies since opening?
I have to say that this forum has been a gold mine of information and even when non-specific advise is given, it's all food for thought and sometimes brings about a solution that might have otherwise been overlooked.
Yes and no. I love the guests and most of the aspects of the job. I didn't anticipate the bureaucracy, paperwork, and lack of my spouse helping much at all.
The major change that I've made is that I block out time for myself and ourselves. It's a survival tactic....

Samster said:
Yes and no. I love the guests and most of the aspects of the job. I didn't anticipate the bureaucracy, paperwork, and lack of my spouse helping much at all.
The major change that I've made is that I block out time for myself and ourselves. It's a survival tactic....
Samster said:
Ouch! Sorry. I guess our situation works as well as it does because DW and I are best friends and equal partners. We both are retired from government related work, so we're used to the bureaucracy and paper work.

Samster said:
Samster said:
Ouch! Sorry. I guess our situation works as well as it does because DW and I are best friends and equal partners. We both are retired from government related work, so we're used to the bureaucracy and paper work.
Oh, my dh is a super guy :)...he just works too many hours in his other full-time job. He even takes call and works weekends or has to go into work super early in the morning. Poor guy should be retired but the economy has hurt our retirement portfolio very badly. He'll be 65 this month!!
I have had the lodging and sales taxes change 4 times in the last year and half and there is a good likelihood that the sales tax will change again. Maybe y'all do not have to pay as many other fees and taxes there as we do here? I know that when we looked in many areas of TX, this business was quite a bit simpler. It's quite hard to really make much money here between the commercial insurance, taxes, and other requirements put on us. We will more than likely not sell as a business but rather sell the smaller one of our houses first as a private residence (or rent it as a house) and then sell our house as a private home as well when we decide where we want to land after retirement. (That depends on the kids.)

I used to be pretty good at remember everyone. Usually I still am but as I am now in my fourth year of doing this some of the guests are a blur to me. Especially when all four rooms are rented every night all summer just about. Once I see the guest come back well then I usually remember them. Before I was computerized I would write down something about each guest who stayed on the back of their 4x5 registration card. Something that would jog my memory in case they came back. Well I gave up on that after I became computerized and too busy to spend the time dealing with that..
Being computerized has been so helpful for me to remember repeats. While they are here, I just make a note in their reservation about anything we talked about. If they talked about kids, I'll note in their file "they have 2 kids "Jack & Jill", or if they tell me about their profession, I'll make a note of it. If I think they might be return guests, I'll write what I served them for breakfast so when they return I'll serve them something different.
When they return, I'll mention something they had discussed on their previous visit (even though I have absolutely no memory of it) and they think I'm amazing. They feel very special. I just chuckle to myself and thank goodness for the computer!
wink_smile.gif

I used to be pretty good at remember everyone. Usually I still am but as I am now in my fourth year of doing this some of the guests are a blur to me. Especially when all four rooms are rented every night all summer just about. Once I see the guest come back well then I usually remember them. Before I was computerized I would write down something about each guest who stayed on the back of their 4x5 registration card. Something that would jog my memory in case they came back. Well I gave up on that after I became computerized and too busy to spend the time dealing with that..
Being computerized has been so helpful for me to remember repeats. While they are here, I just make a note in their reservation about anything we talked about. If they talked about kids, I'll note in their file "they have 2 kids "Jack & Jill", or if they tell me about their profession, I'll make a note of it. If I think they might be return guests, I'll write what I served them for breakfast so when they return I'll serve them something different.
When they return, I'll mention something they had discussed on their previous visit (even though I have absolutely no memory of it) and they think I'm amazing. They feel very special. I just chuckle to myself and thank goodness for the computer!
wink_smile.gif

I do that when I have them on the phone. 'And do you still not eat...?' and I get back, 'Wow! You have such a good memory!'

What do you do when you can't remember a CURRENT guest? I called one of our female guests by the first name of the previous female guest.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

I apologized and passed it off as a "senior moment".
smiley-char124.gif
She laughed and even made a joke about it in the guest book.
We have a little black board by the front door that says "Welcome" and we write each arriving guest's name. Everyone is impressed and thinks that we are just being thoughtful and welcoming. In actuality, I glance at the dang thing as I go out to greet them to remind me who the heck they are.

What do you do when you can't remember a CURRENT guest? I called one of our female guests by the first name of the previous female guest.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
We have a little black board by the front door that says "Welcome" and we write each arriving guest's name. Everyone is impressed and thinks that we are just being thoughtful and welcoming. In actuality, I glance at the dang thing as I go out to greet them to remind me who the heck they are..
We also a have dry erase board in the kitchen. On that board I write the room, names, any dietary restrictions, etc.
Sometimes when I can't remember someone's name, I pop into my kitchen for just a second, look at the board (I always can remember what room they're in) and then I've got their name! I think I'm really having some senior moments lately! It's gotten to the point where I don't even try to remember their names.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
We have a little black board by the front door that says "Welcome" and we write each arriving guest's name. Everyone is impressed and thinks that we are just being thoughtful and welcoming. In actuality, I glance at the dang thing as I go out to greet them to remind me who the heck they are..
We also a have dry erase board in the kitchen. On that board I write the room, names, any dietary restrictions, etc.
Sometimes when I can't remember someone's name, I pop into my kitchen for just a second, look at the board (I always can remember what room they're in) and then I've got their name! I think I'm really having some senior moments lately! It's gotten to the point where I don't even try to remember their names.
I also do the dry erase board as well. I have the the whole month of guests on the board all color coded to each room so I can just glance at it to see who is checking in.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
I used to scribble them all down in the morning on a piece of paper, that just got to be too much in the summer. Now I remember them by room and allergy. 'So, you're the egg allergy...'

I have told guests just this week, if I forget your name don't be offended, it is only the trouble makers that stick in my craw!
devil_smile.gif

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
Can't you just call everyone "Pard'ner"? Give 'em the local feel without having to remember who they are?
tounge_smile.gif

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
We have one too, but I never remember to write the stuff down on it!

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
Can't you just call everyone "Pard'ner"? Give 'em the local feel without having to remember who they are?
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
If you live in CA you can just call every guy Steve or John and be safe. LOL!
We say Sir and M'am here. Other than at check in when I shake their hand and we exchange names. Yesterday I discovered the booking for Francis, he prefered to be called Frank. :)

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
We say Sir and M'am here. Other than at check in when I shake their hand and we exchange names. Yesterday I discovered the booking for Francis, he prefered to be called Frank. :)
That's only in Northern CA, I'm from SoCal..it's dude, bro, yo, homey, holmes or ese, at least in my neighborhood!!!

I just ran into guests at the grocery store. A little awkward, they are not staying with us but they are obviously in town. They were on their way to the airport and stopped to get some snacks for the flight. They have been traveling around the state for a week and said they stayed at 3 other B&B's and this one was 'right up there'. Made me feel good. And at least I recognized them.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
Willowpondgj said:
Now that's just sad.
wink_smile.gif

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
We say Sir and M'am here...
That can backfire on you. Some individuals resent someone of their age or older calling them "sir" or "m'am" because their vain enough to think that THAT makes them sound older.

smiley-ashamed005.gif

smiley-char124.gif
tounge_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:
tounge_smile.gif
Joe Bloggs said:
That can backfire on you. Some individuals resent someone of their age or older calling them "sir" or "m'am" because their vain enough to think that THAT makes them sound older.
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
This is the south. There is no backfiring, older people call younger ma'am and sir out of respect. I call younger people than I ma'am and sir. Respect.

Back