Whole house with dinner?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to say I wouldn't take the booking but see it's already set. We charge extra for a group taking the whole house (it's primarily a cleaning/laundry/supplies fee because they use a lot more than a typical full house would).
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings"..
Gomez already offered a discount. I always tell him no discounts for whole house bookings as there's a lot more to work around but he doesn't see it that way. It's all the same to him. Clean the bathroom x 7. He doesn't 'see' the mess anywhere else unless it's the kitchen.
Morticia said:
Gomez already offered a discount. I always tell him no discounts for whole house bookings as there's a lot more to work around but he doesn't see it that way. It's all the same to him. Clean the bathroom x 7. He doesn't 'see' the mess anywhere else unless it's the kitchen.
Perhaps he needs some 'hands on' initiative, to be convinced. Usually whole house booking are a huge pain because folks seem to think with their 'exclusive' booking that allows them free rein to run wild under your roof. Weddings especially.
The Farmers Daughter said:
Morticia said:
Perhaps he needs some 'hands on' initiative, to be convinced. Usually whole house booking are a huge pain because folks seem to think with their 'exclusive' booking that allows them free rein to run wild under your roof. Weddings especially.
Even the whole house wedding where he was almost traumatized by the absolute MESS in the bathrooms, didn't make a difference. In a way it's a good thing to have this tunnel vision. He goes in, gets the job done and gets out. Me, I shriek and throw things and then still have to go in and get the job done.
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Even the whole house wedding where he was almost traumatized by the absolute MESS in the bathrooms, didn't make a difference. In a way it's a good thing to have this tunnel vision. He goes in, gets the job done and gets out. Me, I shriek and throw things and then still have to go in and get the job done.
lol! At least you get it out of your system.
I just get really annoyed and then come here to vent. I would love to throw things and get away with it
....tee hee... (insert fun little room trashing fantasy here)
In one case, I particularly went around and removed the duvets from the guest rooms for one wedding, given the way they had been treated in the past during big parties (crumpled up on the floor, walked on, dirty, etc). I missed one room for this wedding. So what did that couple do? They took BOTH of the duvets from the 2 beds and proceeded to stuff them into their bed and then have loud sex while everyone was getting ready for the wedding.
When I went into that room and saw the duvets IN the bed, after having heard the couple all over the house, I screamed. (Luckily everyone was gone.) I ripped the bed apart, threw the duvets down the stairs and let loose with a string of invective I forgot I knew.
I did feel better!
But I heard Gomez in their bathroom asking, 'WHAT are people thinking?' so it wasn't just me at that point.
Oh I hear that! People are so clueless and wreckless with things that don't belong to them. I am seeing this repeatedly in guests under age 30. Makes you think they were raised by wolves.

The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate..
This is what we've found here too. I really hate when it's just two or three rooms together, I stay up all night worrying that they are disturbing the other 6 rooms.
We had three rooms check in together today, they only live an hour from here. They were completely obnoxious during check-in (I LOVE when they ask 100 questions and don't listen to the answer to a single one of them because they're so busy twittering at each other) and mentioned several times how much wine they have with them so I'm dreading later tonight. Then just checked in an absolutely adorable couple on their "babymoon" who of course are staying in the room right above the common areas so I'll need to police later tonight to be sure the three couples are behaving.
You know, when we travel with other innkeeping friends we generally bring a lot of wine, cheese, crackers, hors d'oeuvres and I don't think we've ever bothered anyone. We've always tried not to monopolize the common spaces, jamming ourselves into a corner somewhere or going out for dinner and drinks and then saving the wine for the afternoons. However, now that I read this, it probably doesn't gladden the hearts of the innkeepers whose place we're staying at when we tell them we put a dent in the wine supply at the grocery store down the street. I guess we'll stop mentioning that.
Hey, maybe that babymoon couple will be the problem and the other 3 couples will be asking you to knock on their door!
If all of my guests had the sensibilities of innkeepers I would never need to be posting anything on this forum
teeth_smile.gif

The number one reason I don't like groups (of any size...even two couples) is that they tend to drink ALOT, stay up late, be loud and generally fray my nerves. Even if they don't make a mess or need alot of attention, our place is small and there's no way to get away from it, no way to even get up to bed without having to go through the common areas where they congregate..
This is what we've found here too. I really hate when it's just two or three rooms together, I stay up all night worrying that they are disturbing the other 6 rooms.
We had three rooms check in together today, they only live an hour from here. They were completely obnoxious during check-in (I LOVE when they ask 100 questions and don't listen to the answer to a single one of them because they're so busy twittering at each other) and mentioned several times how much wine they have with them so I'm dreading later tonight. Then just checked in an absolutely adorable couple on their "babymoon" who of course are staying in the room right above the common areas so I'll need to police later tonight to be sure the three couples are behaving.
You know, when we travel with other innkeeping friends we generally bring a lot of wine, cheese, crackers, hors d'oeuvres and I don't think we've ever bothered anyone. We've always tried not to monopolize the common spaces, jamming ourselves into a corner somewhere or going out for dinner and drinks and then saving the wine for the afternoons. However, now that I read this, it probably doesn't gladden the hearts of the innkeepers whose place we're staying at when we tell them we put a dent in the wine supply at the grocery store down the street. I guess we'll stop mentioning that.
Hey, maybe that babymoon couple will be the problem and the other 3 couples will be asking you to knock on their door!
If all of my guests had the sensibilities of innkeepers I would never need to be posting anything on this forum
teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
You still would and here's how I know...me. Joey makes her bed, I don't. Joey keeps her room clean, I don't. You'd still get people who you would shake your head at. 'They KNOW better! What is WRONG with them?'
Gomez opens his suitcase on the floor and leaves it there the whole time, opened up so even WE have to step over it.
Oops, I bet you'll now keep my name on one of those do not book lists. Rats.

I was going to say I wouldn't take the booking but see it's already set. We charge extra for a group taking the whole house (it's primarily a cleaning/laundry/supplies fee because they use a lot more than a typical full house would).
I would say no amount of profit would be worth me doing all that extra work to prepare a dinner, so if you're comfortable with a caterer using the guest kitchen then go for it. I agree that you should contract with the caterer directly to avoid and "misunderstandings"..
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I just get really annoyed and then come here to vent. I would love to throw things and get away with it
In one case, I particularly went around and removed the duvets from the guest rooms for one wedding, given the way they had been treated in the past during big parties (crumpled up on the floor, walked on, dirty, etc). I missed one room for this wedding. So what did that couple do? They took BOTH of the duvets from the 2 beds and proceeded to stuff them into their bed and then have loud sex while everyone was getting ready for the wedding.
When I went into that room and saw the duvets IN the bed, after having heard the couple all over the house, I screamed. (Luckily everyone was gone.) I ripped the bed apart, threw the duvets down the stairs and let loose with a string of invective I forgot I knew.
I did feel better!
But I heard Gomez in their bathroom asking, 'WHAT are people thinking?' so it wasn't just me at that point.
Morticia, sounds like you're going to have the perfect opportunity to sit down with Gomez and draw up a list of policies you'd like to enforce for groups in the future. That is, assuming this group is like all groups and a lot of work.
Those policies, IMHO, should always include an additional deposit for the group that is returned only after checkout and a complete inventory has taken place. Letting all guests know upfront that someone in the group has overall financial responsibility for their behavior has worked for me in the past. They don't want to be the ones who caused the extra cleaning charge. There are always kind ways of getting that mentioned at check-in, if not before.
Gomez sounds like a sweetie. Sometimes those sweeties can benefit from the rules being drawn out and posted as much as the guests.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I did feel better!
Morticia, sounds like you're going to have the perfect opportunity to sit down with Gomez and draw up a list of policies you'd like to enforce for groups in the future. That is, assuming this group is like all groups and a lot of work.
Those policies, IMHO, should always include an additional deposit for the group that is returned only after checkout and a complete inventory has taken place. Letting all guests know upfront that someone in the group has overall financial responsibility for their behavior has worked for me in the past. They don't want to be the ones who caused the extra cleaning charge. There are always kind ways of getting that mentioned at check-in, if not before.
Gomez sounds like a sweetie. Sometimes those sweeties can benefit from the rules being drawn out and posted as much as the guests.
Funny how it always seems to work out better when he talks to the guests, tho. For all I rant, when he handles something it stays handled. (If that makes sense.)
He does know about the 50% deposit and the 30 day cancel and that's the most important info. If he cuts them some slack on the price, he has to live with that, too.
Right now we have another whole house that still hasn't made a single call to book. I'll be calling them next week to verify they are still interested. If so, cash on the barrelhead. No more dithering.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I did feel better!
Funny how it always seems to work out better when he talks to the guests, tho. For all I rant, when he handles something it stays handled. (If that makes sense.)
He does know about the 50% deposit and the 30 day cancel and that's the most important info. If he cuts them some slack on the price, he has to live with that, too.
Right now we have another whole house that still hasn't made a single call to book. I'll be calling them next week to verify they are still interested. If so, cash on the barrelhead. No more dithering.
Makes perfect sense. Sounds like the two of you are in perfect balance, too.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I did feel better!
Innkeeper To Go said:
You just made wine snort out my nose...
teeth_smile.gif

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
I did feel better!
Innkeeper To Go said:
You just made wine snort out my nose...
teeth_smile.gif

Any Saturday that I've caused a wine snort is a good Saturday for me!

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
You still would and here's how I know...me. Joey makes her bed, I don't. Joey keeps her room clean, I don't. You'd still get people who you would shake your head at. 'They KNOW better! What is WRONG with them?'
Gomez opens his suitcase on the floor and leaves it there the whole time, opened up so even WE have to step over it.
Ha, ha, ha...DO NOT RENT to the Addams Family!
Don't forget that I don't do the housekeeping so I'd be none the wiser. I just have a hard time imagining an innkeeper being rowdy or disruptive to a full house of other guests.

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Don't forget that I don't do the housekeeping so I'd be none the wiser. I just have a hard time imagining an innkeeper being rowdy or disruptive to a full house of other guests.
Rupert said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping. Had my housekeeper come to me and said, 'What sould I do with these duvets I found in the bed?' I would have told her to throw them in with the rest of the wash and no harm, no foul. Because we were coming off our BEST summer ever, and with NO housekeeping help at all, I was dead on my feet and EVERYTHING bothered me.

Yes, I do dinners. I charge $25 per person. For me, whole house is 3 rooms and they are usually here for a reason so are out most of the day. No one uses my kitchen except DH & me. Here, 6 rooms or less does not need a commercial kitchen but we can only serve registered guests. We are required to have a food handlers card.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
In my 12 years of Innkeeping, NEVER have I had such a guest as I experienced this morning. This couple is in for a wedding and requested a breakfast basket be delivered at 10 am. I went to pick up the basked that was replaced outside their door and it and its contents are covered in vomit.
I am seeing RED! grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

$15+ oops meant $25+ a person, depending on what is served. all get the same thing and there is the profit margin if done correctly.
i LOVE having dinner at where i'm staying.
i also loved putting tablecloths on tables at night and lowering the lights, and using flameless candles. it changes the whole mood of the place.
the place i left does dinners now, don't ask me how. it was something i wanted to do ... believing i could extend the season if i could just offer dinner!
i went with a caterer a couple times and they brought their own pans and cooking utensils and took them away again. they also brought their own servers and used my dishes, etc. it worked out very nicely. i added a fee for the use of the 'dining room'. that included the linens,glassware,dishes,utensils,ice,coffee service, and cleanup.
i wouldn't let the guests into the kitchen to cook, but have let them set up their bar on a buffet table.
yes, the groups do take over the place, but they also tend to move in herdlike fashion. all eating around the same time and then all out the door at the same time. there is a sense of freedom that goes along with that. all knowing each other so if there are children there aren't worries about some guests' children bothering adult guests without children.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
In my 12 years of Innkeeping, NEVER have I had such a guest as I experienced this morning. This couple is in for a wedding and requested a breakfast basket be delivered at 10 am. I went to pick up the basked that was replaced outside their door and it and its contents are covered in vomit.
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
come on, that is ridiculous. you have to be kidding, would you not ask someone like that to LEAVE? SURELY.

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping. Had my housekeeper come to me and said, 'What sould I do with these duvets I found in the bed?' I would have told her to throw them in with the rest of the wash and no harm, no foul. Because we were coming off our BEST summer ever, and with NO housekeeping help at all, I was dead on my feet and EVERYTHING bothered me.
Morticia said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping.
I guess success (like happiness) really is subjective. Our business is small to avoid having employees. After nearly 20 years dealing with housekeepers and other staff, I feel most successful exactly because I do it all. Sure, a bigger place with more rooms and staff would make more money, but would no longer be fun for me.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
come on, that is ridiculous. you have to be kidding, would you not ask someone like that to LEAVE? SURELY.
Joey Bloggs said:
I am often floored by FD's posts about guests. I'm not saying that she's doing anything wrong, but something at her place allows guests to feel as though they can be rude, obnoxious and disrespectful.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I am often floored by FD's posts about guests. I'm not saying that she's doing anything wrong, but something at her place allows guests to feel as though they can be rude, obnoxious and disrespectful.
Little Blue said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I think its my location. I am between NYC & Phla and get more than my fair share of the 'entitled wealthy'. I know I floor you guys on a regular basis, but you just can't make this kind of stuff up.

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
Morticia said:
THAT right there is the secret to successful innkeeping...someone ELSE does the housekeeping.
I guess success (like happiness) really is subjective. Our business is small to avoid having employees. After nearly 20 years dealing with housekeepers and other staff, I feel most successful exactly because I do it all. Sure, a bigger place with more rooms and staff would make more money, but would no longer be fun for me.
LB, you might be surprised. In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...

teeth_smile.gif

Rupert said:
teeth_smile.gif
Rupert said:
Morticia said:
LB, you might be surprised. In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...
Innkeeper To Go said:
In a 7 or 8 room inn, you would still have all the close guest contact you do now. You just would have housekeepers to help out...
That is correct. We have housekeepers with six rooms running about 50% occupancy. They have little or no contact with our guests, and we do all of the reservations (phone and online), checkins, breakfast prep and service and customer service.
Now, if you don't want staff because you don't want the hassle of managing anyone else - that's a different story. We have been pretty fortunate with our hires but some have been a nightmare. A smaller or less busy inn does allow you the freedom of not managing others.

Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Morticia said:
Morticia said:
Ridiculous? No, Its appalling! They were here for only 1 night and checked out. Whats the icing on the cake? They are restaurant owners from Phila, and left their card on the dresser with an invite to come and dine there!
Can you believe it? That is some nerve.

Back