Why we all need signs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of signs..."here's your sign" as the saying going from Georgia
Guests arrive. I have two rooms tonight. I put four brownies on a plate with a stack of napkins and place the plate on the dining room table. Behind it is a vase of fresh flwoers and the sign BREAKFAST IS SERVED AT 9AM.
Couple from o/s so I offer the kettle and tea which they oblige.
I walk past and where is the plate of brownies? The other guests will be here any minute.
In the parlor, eaten. They tell me they will now go explore as they "won't have to eat for a while thanks to your brownies!"
DOH!
I honestly do not think they thought it was for everyone, but it was ON THE MAIN TABLE with a STACK OF NAPKINS and a little tent fold card "help yourself" "Sodas in fridge"
DH said his usual anti-THAT COUNTRY remark "Does it surprise you?".
In their defense, if they didn't know that there were other guests coming in right after them, they might think that just 4 brownies were for them...2 apiece :) I think that most people would.
Samster said:
In their defense, if they didn't know that there were other guests coming in right after them, they might think that just 4 brownies were for them...2 apiece :) I think that most people would.
Really? Two apiece? Hm. Well they did know as I mentioned the other couple to them...

Guests arrive. I have two rooms tonight. I put four brownies on a plate with a stack of napkins and place the plate on the dining room table. Behind it is a vase of fresh flwoers and the sign BREAKFAST IS SERVED AT 9AM.
I walk past and where is the plate of brownies? The other guests will be here any minute.
In the parlor, eaten. They tell me they will now go explore as they "won't have to eat for a while thanks to your brownies!"
DOH!
I honestly do not think they thought it was for everyone, but it was ON THE MAIN TABLE with a STACK OF NAPKINS and a little tent fold card "help yourself" "Sodas in fridge"
Samster said:
Really? Two apiece? Hm. Well they did know as I mentioned the other couple to them...
Well, unless they were huge brownies, brownies are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too delicious to just have one
teeth_smile.gif

DOH!
Samster said:
I agree with Samster. I could eat four myself, but would share with dh. I'd think you had another plate for the other couple. (After all, where is the rest of the batch? No one makes just four brownies!)
=)
Kk.

DOH!
Samster said:
Here is where I wish I was incognito but everyone knows I am a chocoholic so what the heck!
I absotlutely LOVE brownies and IF they were GOOD brownies, could eat 4 of them myself! Take it as a compliment - they were sooo good no one could eat just one!

DOH!
Samster said:
I agree with Samster. I could eat four myself, but would share with dh. I'd think you had another plate for the other couple. (After all, where is the rest of the batch? No one makes just four brownies!)
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Well the rest of the batch were eaten by guests at check in the prev day! HA HA! I was going to actually say that brownies work very well to stretch them over a couple days (if properly covered to stay fresh).
Now I feel bad as the other guests are out taking pics at the pond, having coffee out there and thoroughly enjoying the place LIKE WE INTEND. The others are not that way.
I always marvel at the diff in guests. Some really do not care, they sleep they eat they go, while some (maybe first timers) take it all in and appreciate everything.
When I decided what to make for breakfast today I thought of the "taking it all in" couple and opted to make something I think they will enjoy.

DOH!
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Well the rest of the batch were eaten by guests at check in the prev day! HA HA! I was going to actually say that brownies work very well to stretch them over a couple days (if properly covered to stay fresh).
Now I feel bad as the other guests are out taking pics at the pond, having coffee out there and thoroughly enjoying the place LIKE WE INTEND. The others are not that way.
I always marvel at the diff in guests. Some really do not care, they sleep they eat they go, while some (maybe first timers) take it all in and appreciate everything.
When I decided what to make for breakfast today I thought of the "taking it all in" couple and opted to make something I think they will enjoy.
Yes, it is soooo much easier to go the extra mile for those who seem appreciative!!!
=)
Kk.

DOH!
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Yes, it is soooo much easier to go the extra mile for those who seem appreciative!!!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
You just hit child rearing on the head. I should post that on my forehead or drill it into my brain somehow.

DOH!
Samster said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Samster said:
Me, too. I would have eaten 2, but not if you told me someone else was coming in later. OR, maybe I would have thought you did some sort of 'presentation' for EACH guest and I still would have eaten 2. (Hubs would have told me to leave some for the other guests.)

You need the "Private" signs...let the chips fall where they may
regular_smile.gif
Better than getting an email like that..
Samster said:
You need the "Private" signs...let the chips fall where they may
regular_smile.gif
Better than getting an email like that.
You know, tho, I think I'd rather insult one nosy teenager than 1000's of non-nosy guests with signs everywhere. Because this new sign would be 2 feet from the 'Stop!' sign for the kitchen. I couldn't even have locked that door because it was in the middle of the day. I'm still running in and out of there with this and that and I'm NOT putting myself out for one kid's hurt feelings.
Do what you want with this guest but I still think that nice brass "Private" signs send a message about what is your space & what is guest space. It also gives you a better come back if you find someone where they don't belong. I have them on all the doors to our private space. Seems to be working & it cost me less than $30.
I am with you... nice brass plate with PRIVATE is unobtrusive and yet it says I cared enough to spend on BRASS plate which means I am serious:) Rather than a computer print out.
They do look nice & the ones that I got weren't expensive. They were also shipped pretty quickly. I got them here.
I wonder if they do custom signs. I 'd like to have one done for each of the guest room doors.

DOH!
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
See...no one can eat just one if they are true chocoholics
tounge_smile.gif

Yes, bring on the rest of the batch!!!
teeth_smile.gif

DOH!
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif
Ok that explains it. I am not into the stuff, would rather have stuffed manicotti or carbs vs chocolate.

DOH!
Samster said:
=)
Kk.
tounge_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif

Samster said:
tounge_smile.gif

teeth_smile.gif
Ok that explains it. I am not into the stuff, would rather have stuffed manicotti or carbs vs chocolate.
Now...you have me craving stuffed manicotti or really good Italian food. oh, dear.. I'm glad I had a good breakfast today. ha!

While I was sitting at the computer in the office, literally on the other side of the door (the one with the privacy sign on the handle) from the guest living room, the door opens veeeeerrrrrrry slowly and as I look up from the computer, my face now about a foot from hers, here is this very surprised and now horrified guest's face and she says, "oh, I just wanted to see what was in here!" and shuts the door, I hear complete and utter embarrassed laughter on the other side of the door. It was classic. I locked the door.
Oh and regarding your embarrassed guest, BOO-HOO, she should be embarrassed!

While I was sitting at the computer in the office, literally on the other side of the door (the one with the privacy sign on the handle) from the guest living room, the door opens veeeeerrrrrrry slowly and as I look up from the computer, my face now about a foot from hers, here is this very surprised and now horrified guest's face and she says, "oh, I just wanted to see what was in here!" and shuts the door, I hear complete and utter embarrassed laughter on the other side of the door. It was classic. I locked the door.
Oh and regarding your embarrassed guest, BOO-HOO, she should be embarrassed!.
Willowpondgj said:
What IS it about a sign that says 'Private?' Of course I can understand it, but what are they expecting to see? If I put up private signs then I would also put some sort of alarm on the door if I didn't lock it. We're thinking of just putting a simple hook latch at the top of the doors. On the outside. To me, if you go to the extent to lift the latch, then you KNOW you are doing something you shouldn't and the alarm shouldn't be a surprise. And if it IS embarassing to be caught doing something you shouldn't, maybe it's a good life lesson.

Willowpondgj said:
I hope the click of the lock was good and loud!

Willowpondgj said:
What IS it about a sign that says 'Private?' Of course I can understand it, but what are they expecting to see? If I put up private signs then I would also put some sort of alarm on the door if I didn't lock it. We're thinking of just putting a simple hook latch at the top of the doors. On the outside. To me, if you go to the extent to lift the latch, then you KNOW you are doing something you shouldn't and the alarm shouldn't be a surprise. And if it IS embarassing to be caught doing something you shouldn't, maybe it's a good life lesson.
[/quote]
If I put up private signs then I would also put some sort of alarm on the door if I didn't lock it.
[/quote]
I knew a guy who would cram a bunch of loose marbles into his bathroom medicine cabinet any time he was having people over. That way he'd know (hear and/or see it) if someone snooped while in the loo.
Got any marbles? :)

Willowpondgj said:
If I put up private signs then I would also put some sort of alarm on the door if I didn't lock it.
[/quote]
I knew a guy who would cram a bunch of loose marbles into his bathroom medicine cabinet any time he was having people over. That way he'd know (hear and/or see it) if someone snooped while in the loo.

[/QUOTE]
That's pretty funny. haha! Wasn't there some kind of research on the number of people that snooped in bathroom medicine cabinets and under the sink? It was pretty high, I think. I know I was surprised.

Willowpondgj said:
[/quote]

[/QUOTE]
happyjacks said:
I have not a single one left...
teeth_smile.gif

Willowpondgj said:

[/QUOTE]
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif

[/QUOTE]
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif
Did that happen before or after you decided to open a B&B? ;)

Willowpondgj said:

[/QUOTE]
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif

[/QUOTE]
Bree said:
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif