Wind me up first thing in the morning...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know whre you can come to for some peace & quiet.....
gillumhouse said:
I know whre you can come to for some peace & quiet....
No time now until November! I'm in it up to my eyeballs from here on out.
New for me - I had my first ever "pre-season" break down this weekend. Stupid tears for no sensible reason, brought on by a lack of sleep (my fault) and a lunch time beer. The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine. I guess I was just getting all the angst out the way first .... bottom line - I felt like a total idiot.
UKMaineiac said:
The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine.
Gosh, this is how I'm feeling, too!
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine.
=)
Kk.
Apparently, it's an epidemic, and this woman from western Washington does not even run a B&B. She posted this on her blog this morning, and I just had to add it here because the picture is so appropriate, even if the actual circumstances are not. ;)
Do any of these 'have to do it all' moms realize they are channeling the moms of the 50's who had NO outlet for their frustrations. Anyone wonder why women are diagnosed with more mental illness than men? Or why 'mother's little helper' was not a housekeeper, but a pill?
Why, oh, why do they think a meltdown is inappropriate when they are doing the work of 5 people? Sure, lots of families had gardens and everyone 'ate from scratch' years ago, but there were also multi-generations living in one household. While mom was doing 'x', grandma was doing 'y' and grandpa was doing 'z' and EVERYONE was pitching in.
That story with the kids who have a 2 hour span to go to their rooms to do whatever should have read, 'from 2-4 in the afternoon my kids are in the garden pulling weeds, vacuuming, doing laundry, etc'.
Stop the insanity. Get off the 'perfect mother' roller coaster. NO ONE appreciates it. NO ONE. The kids will still be in therapy later on! The husbands will still find other women. No matter what you do it will never be enough. (Spoken like a true innkeeper, I know!
wink_smile.gif
)
Morticia said:
That story with the kids who have a 2 hour span to go to their rooms to do whatever should have read, 'from 2-4 in the afternoon my kids are in the garden pulling weeds, vacuuming, doing laundry, etc'.
HA HA HA .... my mother used to do the same thing when we lived in Bahrain. We were sent for our afternoon "nap" and would immediately climb out of the window and play with all the local kids. She recently admitted that she knew this but didn't care because the last thing we could do was draw attention to ourselves and get busted. "Her" time was more important than what we were doing.

gillumhouse said:
New for me - I had my first ever "pre-season" break down this weekend. Stupid tears for no sensible reason, brought on by a lack of sleep (my fault) and a lunch time beer. The house needs work, nothing is perfect, the economy stinks and the only "no cost" thing that can make a difference is me. I got totally (ridiculously) overwhelmed by what the next 5 months will bring. Nothing to worry about because once I'm in it, I'll be fine. I guess I was just getting all the angst out the way first .... bottom line - I felt like a total idiot.
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
Apparently, it's an epidemic, and this woman from western Washington does not even run a B&B. She posted this on her blog this morning, and I just had to add it here because the picture is so appropriate, even if the actual circumstances are not. ;)
Do any of these 'have to do it all' moms realize they are channeling the moms of the 50's who had NO outlet for their frustrations. Anyone wonder why women are diagnosed with more mental illness than men? Or why 'mother's little helper' was not a housekeeper, but a pill?
Why, oh, why do they think a meltdown is inappropriate when they are doing the work of 5 people? Sure, lots of families had gardens and everyone 'ate from scratch' years ago, but there were also multi-generations living in one household. While mom was doing 'x', grandma was doing 'y' and grandpa was doing 'z' and EVERYONE was pitching in.
Stop the insanity. Get off the 'perfect mother' roller coaster. NO ONE appreciates it. NO ONE. The kids will still be in therapy later on! The husbands will still find other women. No matter what you do it will never be enough. (Spoken like a true innkeeper, I know!
wink_smile.gif
)
Morticia said:
HA HA HA .... my mother used to do the same thing when we lived in Bahrain. We were sent for our afternoon "nap" and would immediately climb out of the window and play with all the local kids. She recently admitted that she knew this but didn't care because the last thing we could do was draw attention to ourselves and get busted. "Her" time was more important than what we were doing.
At least you were getting exercise!
I know I don't have to tell anyone here about kids and chores. I had no chores as a kid which is why my mother is STILL laughing at this as a choice of work for myself! However, my mother also shooed me out the door right after breakfast and expected me back for lunch and dinner. Otherwise, 'Don't talk to strangers and stay out of trouble,' was the extent of it.
On 'bad' days (when I couldn't breathe), I could sit on the fire escape and read.

Irongate I love that! Thanks for sharing.
If any of you have ever been in the ocean and the tide takes you away from where you are supposed to be. you realize where you are and you are seemingly miles off shore and down from where you started and cannot figure out how you got there and now need to get back.
This to me is the epitome of the meltdown. Sometimes we just go with the flow and the flow takes and takes and takes and then all of a sudden we realize, we are way off shore.
So we get frustrated and have to fight to get back to where we need to be.
There is nothing wrong with a change in direction. :)

You all just reminded me my sister and 4 terrors will be in my area in two weeks. You have never ever ever seen kids like this (around the parents) with no parents and they are fine. If there is not blood, guts and screaming you have not spent 2 minutes in their presence.
I deleted everything else after I wrote that, too much information, but suffice it to say, they are the worst kids in the world and it is NOT THEIR FAULT. They have no discipline what-so-bloody-ever.

gillumhouse said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
UKMaineiac said:
=)
Kk.
wink_smile.gif
)
Morticia said:
At least you were getting exercise!
I know I don't have to tell anyone here about kids and chores. I had no chores as a kid which is why my mother is STILL laughing at this as a choice of work for myself! However, my mother also shooed me out the door right after breakfast and expected me back for lunch and dinner. Otherwise, 'Don't talk to strangers and stay out of trouble,' was the extent of it.
On 'bad' days (when I couldn't breathe), I could sit on the fire escape and read.
Better and better ... I used to sit on the outside windowsill of my second floor bedroom and read (back in England now). People driving by would stop because they were concerned for my safety:
Them: "Hi, I'm sorry to bother you but your little girl has climbed out onto the ledge".
My parents: "does she have a book"
Them: "well I think so"
My parents: "OK ... no problem".

Irongate I love that! Thanks for sharing.
If any of you have ever been in the ocean and the tide takes you away from where you are supposed to be. you realize where you are and you are seemingly miles off shore and down from where you started and cannot figure out how you got there and now need to get back.
This to me is the epitome of the meltdown. Sometimes we just go with the flow and the flow takes and takes and takes and then all of a sudden we realize, we are way off shore.
So we get frustrated and have to fight to get back to where we need to be.
There is nothing wrong with a change in direction. :).
I agree. We each need a blow-off valve. Mine is usually contemplating something that involves Tide, Hefty bags, and cement. Others it is a walk or a good cry. Blowing my brains out at band rehearsal once a week is great. My hardest times are when the band is on hiatus (after Christmas) and I am stuck in the house.

gillumhouse said:
Hang in there New Englanders!
regular_smile.gif

Oh no...here we go again. You need to tell them that was unacceptable! Ignore the signs....GRRRRRR The sign needs to be BLUNT. Health Dept prohibits guests in the kitchen!!! Or...stay the hell out of here!!!! Where are those folding screens I told you to put up :-( and chain together!!!.
I do clearly state the health dept does not allow guests in the kitchen. I think they looked around, didn't see the health inspector and went ahead. Screens are looking like an option whose time has come.
I clearly state on the fridge door that NOTHING may be put in or taken out. 'Yes, this does mean you, too.'
We don't know who it was. We had an almost full house last night.
pita.gif

gillumhouse said:
I take it you are in a seasonal location. Where I am we have a 10 month season and luckily our down months are august and Jan so that breaks it up and I can have a rest. I want to get 4 carpets changed and I don't have 3 days off together to do it till August! mind you I have been pleasantly surprised in that I have had 4 4 night bookings for the same dates in August so I have a feeling that there is something going on I don't know about.

gillumhouse said:
That's EXACTLY how I felt this weekend. Is it something in the air? This is the point when I have to say, 'OK, too late in the season to do that, back on next winter's list.' But it seems the list never gets shorter.
Bad morning all around.

Back