Yeah Fall Cleaning!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Draper

Reaction score
We are lucking out with some gorgeous sunny weather. We are stripping and deep cleaning guest rooms, washing windows, cleaning carpets. It smells SO GOOD in here!
Something about the fall cleaning I like much better than when we do it in spring...likely because I know we are getting to our slower time and stuff that we clean might actually STAY clean for a while now!!!
The only thing I am cursing are the darn Battenburg Lace bedskirts...I love the look of them put always forget what a complete PITA they are to iron!!!!!

tell me about it we are changing accreditation scheme from AA to Visit britain (undercover inspector etc) and I don't want to loose a star so we are racing round doing all sorts of maintenance and so on ready for when they come in Jan I want to do a ton of deep cleaning etc it does focus your mind I have all the requirement stuff printing out now so it is going to be my bedtime reading.

Every single one of our doors could do with a coat of paint as we had to have sections routed out of all our doors to have special fire foam stuff put in and it has made a complete mess of them! but it is a majour faff plus you can only do the rooms of the doors people arn't in if you see what I mean.

6 loads of laundry later (for this room only) - SIX, when I had all 6 rooms check out plus 3 more - my laundry room is BURIED. 4 major loaded arm-loads hauled back upstairs, and thorough cleaning, for just ONE ROOM of smokers. I am beside myself and DO NOT WANT TO EVER RENT TO THEM AGAIN.
This was the room here with the parents who were footing the bill, it was 6 rooms nights total, and I was waiting to kick them out and never had succinct reason to. Up and down the stairs ALL NIGHT for 3 nights SOLID. Drugged out on what they said were RX drugs - which of course is epidemic in our country now...it's sold on school buses.
SMOKERS STINK. I don't care who reads this and is offended, SMOKERS STINK. They obeyed our rules and did not smoke on the porch, but going to their car and smoking and coming back to bed....HELP US ALL.
And guess what ya'll I fabrezed the heck out of the carpet and curtains...and sofa, I had no choice.
sad_smile.gif

6 loads of laundry later (for this room only) - SIX, when I had all 6 rooms check out plus 3 more - my laundry room is BURIED. 4 major loaded arm-loads hauled back upstairs, and thorough cleaning, for just ONE ROOM of smokers. I am beside myself and DO NOT WANT TO EVER RENT TO THEM AGAIN.
This was the room here with the parents who were footing the bill, it was 6 rooms nights total, and I was waiting to kick them out and never had succinct reason to. Up and down the stairs ALL NIGHT for 3 nights SOLID. Drugged out on what they said were RX drugs - which of course is epidemic in our country now...it's sold on school buses.
SMOKERS STINK. I don't care who reads this and is offended, SMOKERS STINK. They obeyed our rules and did not smoke on the porch, but going to their car and smoking and coming back to bed....HELP US ALL.
And guess what ya'll I fabrezed the heck out of the carpet and curtains...and sofa, I had no choice.
sad_smile.gif
Oh Joey...I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I am with you 100%, SMOKERS STINK. Especially when they go sit in their car, surrounded by and enveloped in the smoke itself, then come right back in. And for those of us who are allergic to smoke, we can smell it far, far away.
I hope the Febreze worked, I have also found that an open shallow dish of white vinegar in the room for an hour or so really does absorb the smell...so does ground coffee.
pita.gif

we have special plug in's (I hate plug in's otherwise) but we keep them in plus a multi pack of feerbreeze because even if they don't smoke they drag it about with them!

sad_smile.gif
I agree too. I can't stand the smell. And they always think if they load on the heavy perfume you won't smell it because they have lost their own sense of smell and can't smell it...ick
RIki

sad_smile.gif
check out www.magic-zymes.com - they were at the MI state conference, will not be at the PAII conference, but will be at the Mid-Atlantic conference in Lancaster, PA in March. Larry and Sally were their names - they can ship stuff overnight I am sure.
I bought some because my SIL will be coming for T-day and she is a very heavy smoker - not looking forward to the smell, but I am going to have this stuff ready and waiting to get rid of the smell hopefully before it has a chance to settle in!

Sueellen if they sent out samples they might get a ton of business. :)

They do!! contact them! I got a sample, but then ended up ordering the stuff anyways! Tell them someone from the MI conference sent you...

I did it, asked for a sample. I will try it THEN order if it is great. I hope they send it out, something like this could be HUGE for us with stinky guests. LOL

I did it, asked for a sample. I will try it THEN order if it is great. I hope they send it out, something like this could be HUGE for us with stinky guests. LOL.
I figured it had to work cos I had the booth across from them at the conference and I kept seeing the Inn Owners buying - they had bought the previous year and needed more I guess! The sample bottle is a great little 2 oz spray bottle.

Nothing like knowing everything is clean!.
Ohmigosh! I just spent a small fortune to have all the windows cleaned - inside and out and screens. But, oh what a difference it makes! And then I could see other dirt, so I went on a cleaning rampage!

We installed new Andersen windows a few years ago and they are incredible. I love cleaning windows now. The only problem is that now the cold weather is here and I may have missed my fall cleaning "window" (no pun intended).

I'm a smoker........and yeah.......I agree with ya'll.
I, for one know how the nonsmokers feel.

We installed new Andersen windows a few years ago and they are incredible. I love cleaning windows now. The only problem is that now the cold weather is here and I may have missed my fall cleaning "window" (no pun intended)..
Just out of curiousity (and in case I ever get the urge to clean my own windows) what do you use that doesn't streak? I really don't mind cleaning windows, but have never found anything that really works. I hear newspapers are great and streak free, but I hate newspaper print on my hands!

We installed new Andersen windows a few years ago and they are incredible. I love cleaning windows now. The only problem is that now the cold weather is here and I may have missed my fall cleaning "window" (no pun intended)..
Just out of curiousity (and in case I ever get the urge to clean my own windows) what do you use that doesn't streak? I really don't mind cleaning windows, but have never found anything that really works. I hear newspapers are great and streak free, but I hate newspaper print on my hands!
I rarely streak windows.......have no idea what I am doing or not doing.....I just happen to get done right.
Used Windex or any window cleaner......paper towels, years ago tried newspaper, didn't like it.....went back to paper towels........recently the microfiber cloths....not that long ago I did all windows....1 wet microfiber and one to dry and buff........the wet one I spritzed both sides of the cloth with window cleaner.
What I have to do at times and with some.....wash them twice.

suellen222 said:
Microfiber cloth (one to wash, one to buff) and a bucket of warm water with a couple of drops of dish soap and a healthy splash of white vinegar.

Back