You're it - I need to vent

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When they show up unannounced, they have broken your policy...you can tell them to leave if you don't take children and it is explained on your site and in directories. I would not hesitate to kick them to the curb...we NEVER took kids and if anyone showed up with one...they would not be staying with us. Our friends do the same thing..
Ditto. No kids. Period. Last year we turned away a woman who was on her way here with her 14 year old in tow, whom she planned to leave unattended in the house while she attended a work shop for 5 mornings. Sorry....you'll have to stay someplace else!
She specifically made the reservation for one adult, traveling alone. We do not accept minors. Must be 18 or older. And we stick to it. I kept her deposit but found her another accommodation. There were no repercussions.
But that does not help you does it? I feel for you. It sounds like you have reached your limit. So sorry that your summer is starting out this way. If it happens again you should refuse to let them stay and charge them.
Unbelievable. You get the risk of unattended minor
at least in the UK we have CRB (criminal record check) makes a super excuse ie we arn't CRB Checked so cannot look after your child its against the law.
We are getting rid of our last family room in December - we can't accommodate the numbers at breakfast and I don't need the hassel of people booking in for 3 adults in a room which I don't want. Was trying to give families a break but now its ring and request - no online booking or extra bed option. Had 3 women turn up for it on saturday with a hen party - we specifically say no hen parties so could have declined them then and there, but felt bad as the booking wasn't made by them and to be fair they were well behaved.
We've removed 2 family rooms also. Problem with that is it also removed 2 friends traveling together. Still have 2 family rooms, tho, so we do still get these bookings like this past weekend where we had 2 families and all the confusion at breakfast.

When they show up unannounced, they have broken your policy...you can tell them to leave if you don't take children and it is explained on your site and in directories. I would not hesitate to kick them to the curb...we NEVER took kids and if anyone showed up with one...they would not be staying with us. Our friends do the same thing..
Ditto. No kids. Period. Last year we turned away a woman who was on her way here with her 14 year old in tow, whom she planned to leave unattended in the house while she attended a work shop for 5 mornings. Sorry....you'll have to stay someplace else!
She specifically made the reservation for one adult, traveling alone. We do not accept minors. Must be 18 or older. And we stick to it. I kept her deposit but found her another accommodation. There were no repercussions.
But that does not help you does it? I feel for you. It sounds like you have reached your limit. So sorry that your summer is starting out this way. If it happens again you should refuse to let them stay and charge them.
at least in the UK we have CRB (criminal record check) makes a super excuse ie we arn't CRB Checked so cannot look after your child its against the law.
We are getting rid of our last family room in December - we can't accommodate the numbers at breakfast and I don't need the hassel of people booking in for 3 adults in a room which I don't want. Was trying to give families a break but now its ring and request - no online booking or extra bed option. Had 3 women turn up for it on saturday with a hen party - we specifically say no hen parties so could have declined them then and there, but felt bad as the booking wasn't made by them and to be fair they were well behaved.
When I was looking at the 15 acre place that fell through, the town zoning book we bought SPECIFICALLY said that residential B&Bs properties are only allowed 2 people max per bedroom, and that commercially zoned B&Bs did not have this limitation.
If you are residential, might not hurt to check with zoning. If it is two max, it is a darn good excuse to turn away people who try to sneak in others.

We've removed 2 family rooms also. Problem with that is it also removed 2 friends traveling together. Still have 2 family rooms, tho, so we do still get these bookings like this past weekend where we had 2 families and all the confusion at breakfast.
That would be the purpose of "why don't you each book a room" ?

How do you specifically say, "no hen parties" on a web site?
TheBeachHouse said:
I looked. I can't find it. But I know she's said that before.

Morticia said:
I suggested taking the day bed out of our 'cozy' room with the queen and daybed. DH said to leave it because it so often sells to two women or a parent and child. Sometimes it is nice to have two beds.

When I was looking at the 15 acre place that fell through, the town zoning book we bought SPECIFICALLY said that residential B&Bs properties are only allowed 2 people max per bedroom, and that commercially zoned B&Bs did not have this limitation.
If you are residential, might not hurt to check with zoning. If it is two max, it is a darn good excuse to turn away people who try to sneak in others.
undersea said:
This is one reason we tell all aspirings to check the codes in the state, county and town. It's all different.

its shows when you try and book - but I say no same sex groups, no hen parties and no stag parties and if when you arrive we discover you are one of these you will not be admitted and charged in full.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-camberley.en-gb.html?sid=3df7e93b18031233d4a1e4bf09112f3e;dcid=1;checkin=2015-07-05;checkout=2015-07-06;dist=0;group_adults=1;group_children=0;no_rooms=1;srfid=366eaeace33d21362953945e8d5ea95c21771943X19;type=total;ucfs=1&#policies

its shows when you try and book - but I say no same sex groups, no hen parties and no stag parties and if when you arrive we discover you are one of these you will not be admitted and charged in full.
http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/the-camberley.en-gb.html?sid=3df7e93b18031233d4a1e4bf09112f3e;dcid=1;checkin=2015-07-05;checkout=2015-07-06;dist=0;group_adults=1;group_children=0;no_rooms=1;srfid=366eaeace33d21362953945e8d5ea95c21771943X19;type=total;ucfs=1&#policies
You know, I would read that... and not book. Because I would interpret it as I was unwelcome. While I think you mean to define a certain sized group, to me it reads as even a couple is unwelcome. Maybe you should define the size of the group rather than be specific about the types of groups. Something like no multiple room groups or parties of any kind.

You know, I would read that... and not book. Because I would interpret it as I was unwelcome. While I think you mean to define a certain sized group, to me it reads as even a couple is unwelcome. Maybe you should define the size of the group rather than be specific about the types of groups. Something like no multiple room groups or parties of any kind.
see this may be a language thing but group in the uk is more than 2 - that would be a couple
group is usually defined as more than 4 people
Also they have changed it from what I have asked for which was "large same sex groups" and just put in same sex groups. - frankly I don't want large groups of anyone causes no end of trouble as they think they own the place and have no consideration for other guests.

see this may be a language thing but group in the uk is more than 2 - that would be a couple
Also they have changed it from what I have asked for which was "large same sex groups" and just put in same sex groups. - frankly I don't want large groups of anyone causes no end of trouble as they think they own the place and have no consideration for other guests.
Right, but by saying "same-sex" like that, even though you have the words "group", I would automatically assume that same-sex people are unwelcome, which I know isn't your intent. But that's how it will be perceived.
Something like "This property is unable to accommodate any groups (exceeding 4 people), including stag/hen parties or celebrations." should get the point across without making individuals feel uncomfortable.
K, I know you don't realize this, but just singling out the group makes them feel unwelcome and I realize that isn't your intent.

Right, but by saying "same-sex" like that, even though you have the words "group", I would automatically assume that same-sex people are unwelcome, which I know isn't your intent. But that's how it will be perceived.
Something like "This property is unable to accommodate any groups (exceeding 4 people), including stag/hen parties or celebrations." should get the point across without making individuals feel uncomfortable.
K, I know you don't realize this, but just singling out the group makes them feel unwelcome and I realize that isn't your intent.
Trouble is there is no right answer - don't mind say 4 couples in their 50's but I don't really want 20 drunken golfers or screaming women
if book .co would let me I would say without prior discussion with the owner but that is not an option as there is no way they will allow that!

Trouble is there is no right answer - don't mind say 4 couples in their 50's but I don't really want 20 drunken golfers or screaming women
if book .co would let me I would say without prior discussion with the owner but that is not an option as there is no way they will allow that!
Well, you have to find a better way to say it because the way you have it, you are going to lose a lot of business... and let's face it, it's dinks (double income, no kids), not a great group to lose, especially since they travel more than other groups and they don't care when school is out.

Well, you have to find a better way to say it because the way you have it, you are going to lose a lot of business... and let's face it, it's dinks (double income, no kids), not a great group to lose, especially since they travel more than other groups and they don't care when school is out.
Ill be honest we have had it on 4 years and we get plenty of same sex couples who appreciate the peace and quiet they know they will get without the idiots they get in the hotels out on a lads night out, golfers, rugby teams, girls night out, race groups and so on - all running up and down the corridors all night screaming, banging on the doors and rubbish like that.
I have however asked it be changed to - Please change this to The property cannot accept groups of more than eight, stag or hen parties,
Am not really keen on 8 but you have to draw the line somewhere - they do that appalling thing where they decide on a breakfast time between them (don't tell you) and then all come down in the busiest time at once because they didn't tell you so you can warn the other guests not to come then, plus all expect to be seated and eat together - which isn't going to happen.

Ill be honest we have had it on 4 years and we get plenty of same sex couples who appreciate the peace and quiet they know they will get without the idiots they get in the hotels out on a lads night out, golfers, rugby teams, girls night out, race groups and so on - all running up and down the corridors all night screaming, banging on the doors and rubbish like that.
I have however asked it be changed to - Please change this to The property cannot accept groups of more than eight, stag or hen parties,
Am not really keen on 8 but you have to draw the line somewhere - they do that appalling thing where they decide on a breakfast time between them (don't tell you) and then all come down in the busiest time at once because they didn't tell you so you can warn the other guests not to come then, plus all expect to be seated and eat together - which isn't going to happen.
In any case, that sounds much more clear and is not subject to as much interpretation.

Back