How much are we supposed to know?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guest called back. Left rambling message about how the whole trip is a disaster. They can't figure out any of it. Don't know what they're going to do now, etc.
Maybe wherever they are staying today can help them with maps and more info.
Just that they knew about the things they wanted me to make decisions on means they must have found some source of info that can be more helpful than I could..
what do they think you are? Their vacation planner? Gheez give me a break!

Guest called back. Left rambling message about how the whole trip is a disaster. They can't figure out any of it. Don't know what they're going to do now, etc.
Just that they knew about the things they wanted me to make decisions on means they must have found some source of info that can be more helpful than I could..
Morticia said:
Just that they knew about the things they wanted me to make decisions on means they must have found some source of info that can be more helpful than I could.
They called you to tell you they were having a bad time while staying at a different place? I'm so confused. You really do get the winners!
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
Just that they knew about the things they wanted me to make decisions on means they must have found some source of info that can be more helpful than I could.
They called you to tell you they were having a bad time while staying at a different place? I'm so confused. You really do get the winners!
No, letting me know my info wasn't any help to them and they don't know what to do their plans are now all confused because I didn't know an easy way to do what they want to do.

I would be having that kind of stuff on the website. Waze and Google Maps say something about traffic. There is several websites that give every possible way to get public transit between two points (although not always correct). Even Gasbuddy for where to get the best deal on gas prices!
The more I see on this forum, the more robust I want my website and just say "follow this link"....
undersea said:
I would be having that kind of stuff on the website. Waze and Google Maps say something about traffic. There is several websites that give every possible way to get public transit between two points (although not always correct). Even Gasbuddy for where to get the best deal on gas prices!
The more I see on this forum, the more robust I want my website and just say "follow this link"...
It doesn't work. We have clear, easy to follow directions on our website. They use gooly maps and end up on a dirt road in the woods.
TheBeachHouse said:
It doesn't work. We have clear, easy to follow directions on our website. They use gooly maps and end up on a dirt road in the woods.
Do you know why Google Street View didn't drive by your inn?
Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
??
TheBeachHouse said:
Arks said:
??
For some reason the Google car didn't go down your street or a lot of other streets in your area. Seems odd. In my town they went down every little side street in town. Didn't miss a thing.
The fact that they skipped so much of your area may explain why people can't find you using Google Maps.

Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
No, letting me know my info wasn't any help to them and they don't know what to do their plans are now all confused because I didn't know an easy way to do what they want to do.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
It is nasty to call you and ruin your day and blame you. Nasty.
For what it's worth, I find your advice and counsel very useful and often funny. Don't let the turkeys get you down.

This is one of the reasons I plan to let calls go to voicemail first. Still a little unclear whether this was ever your guest or someone else's.
- If they are staying with someone else, the message gets deleted. I am not in the free information business.
- If staying with me, my concierge service will be limited. I plan a "how to get here" type web page with directions from each direction/interstate and whatever links like bus line depots, car rentals, Waze.com, Google maps and others that might help.
Requests for this kind of stuff will get a pointer to my website as a response if I call back. I am not a trip planner, a traffic expert, a weatherman, or a GPS for Dummies author. You try to help, and then some unexpected road crew will get out there and screw up your advice and make you look bad.
I think people should stay within their expertise. No, I don't know the 3 best Thai-Greek fusion restaurants in my area. No, I don't know if Pizza Hut serves a GF pizza. Yes, here is my two favorite restaurants. No, I don't have the 5 top choices there; ask the waitstaff.
But I do know some great hikes, bikes, museums, plays, etc.
- If they complain, it gets deleted. I have no time for whiners.

The more I see on this forum, the more robust I want my website and just say "follow this link"....
undersea said:
The more I see on this forum, the more robust I want my website and just say "follow this link"...
TheBeachHouse said:
Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
??
TheBeachHouse said:
Arks said:
??
For some reason the Google car didn't go down your street or a lot of other streets in your area. Seems odd. In my town they went down every little side street in town. Didn't miss a thing.
The fact that they skipped so much of your area may explain why people can't find you using Google Maps.
Arks said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Arks said:
??
Interesting. No idea why not. There are 4 inns on our road and it's a major biking route.
We had a group stay with us because they saw on something web based that we had enough parking for their moving truck. The web overwhelms me. :)

This is one of the reasons I plan to let calls go to voicemail first. Still a little unclear whether this was ever your guest or someone else's.
- If they are staying with someone else, the message gets deleted. I am not in the free information business.
- If staying with me, my concierge service will be limited. I plan a "how to get here" type web page with directions from each direction/interstate and whatever links like bus line depots, car rentals, Waze.com, Google maps and others that might help.
Requests for this kind of stuff will get a pointer to my website as a response if I call back. I am not a trip planner, a traffic expert, a weatherman, or a GPS for Dummies author. You try to help, and then some unexpected road crew will get out there and screw up your advice and make you look bad.
I think people should stay within their expertise. No, I don't know the 3 best Thai-Greek fusion restaurants in my area. No, I don't know if Pizza Hut serves a GF pizza. Yes, here is my two favorite restaurants. No, I don't have the 5 top choices there; ask the waitstaff.
But I do know some great hikes, bikes, museums, plays, etc.
- If they complain, it gets deleted. I have no time for whiners..
Yes, my guests. Yes, someone else's guests for the other days of their vacation. Yes, directions on my website - map showing an up close of the town, link to Google maps, info on how close we are to X, Y & Z (including airports in 3 states). Yes, an entire page devoted to restaurants. Yes, numerous pages devoted to what to see and do. I might even have a link to the state's road construction page (I need to check that).
You'll have to know who serves GF food in your town. And where to get the best (whatever your area is famous for) because the guest does not know this. This is why they opt for a B&B instead of a hotel where the front desk is from somewhere else and knows zip about what's beyond the walk from their car to the front desk.
This past weekend I had a guest arguing with me about the weather. So I stopped answering the weather-related questions because he argued with every answer. Rely on your phone then, but here's where I keep the umbrellas, just in case...

awesome.
Last week, "We are going to North Conway. Should we stop in Portsmouth or Portland?"
Me, I don't know. Them, look of, 'of course you do, why won't you help us.'
Me, "Portland. That way you will have been in three states in one day.".
One of the standard jokes during cocktail hour here is, "You gotta watch us, we're innkeepers. We just make stuff up." Gets a laugh and reminds them to have a few grains of salt handy. I suppose it also helps removes the, "we followed your advice and it rained the whole time" card from the deck.
happykeeper said:
One of the standard jokes during cocktail hour here is, "You gotta watch us, we're innkeepers. We just make stuff up." Gets a laugh and reminds them to have a few grains of salt handy. I suppose it also helps removes the, "we followed your advice and it rained the whole time" card from the deck.
LOL!!
I had a guest leave this past week because it was raining. We kept the $. But really? Museums, restaurants, local cuisine, books you haven't read, water view from your room, even in the rain.
We are pretty good travelers. You make the best of it.
It can be painful to watch those that can't get let go of the fantasy that won't happen.

awesome.
Last week, "We are going to North Conway. Should we stop in Portsmouth or Portland?"
happykeeper said:
LOL!!
I had a guest leave this past week because it was raining. We kept the $. But really? Museums, restaurants, local cuisine, books you haven't read, water view from your room, even in the rain.
Probably better that they left instead of our couple who came and didn't want to do anything outside, only indoor things. She came to breakfast dressed up beautifully as if she were heading to a wedding shower or church, including heels. We're located in the mountains, whereEVERYTHING is outdoors. They sat with my husband for a couple hours trying to piece together anything inside to take up 3 days. I can do all of the indoor stuff in an hour radius in about 3-4 hours, that's how little there is. They did not enjoy themselves because they picked the wrong place to visit. Gotta love people who don't read the section on what there is to do in an area.

undersea said:
And I get guests who are not web comfortable so pointing them to web sites is useless. Two sets of guests recently spoke of "your amazing knowledge of your area and your State". I just tell them, "that is why you come to a B & B".

awesome.
happykeeper said:
LOL!!
Probably better that they left instead of our couple who came and didn't want to do anything outside, only indoor things. She came to breakfast dressed up beautifully as if she were heading to a wedding shower or church, including heels. We're located in the mountains, whereEVERYTHING is outdoors. They sat with my husband for a couple hours trying to piece together anything inside to take up 3 days. I can do all of the indoor stuff in an hour radius in about 3-4 hours, that's how little there is. They did not enjoy themselves because they picked the wrong place to visit. Gotta love people who don't read the section on what there is to do in an area.
should have taken a city vacation.

undersea said:
Of course it works. The vast majority of people have no problem using clear directions. Sometimes, detours or confusing signs or GPS problems cause issues for some. And yes, there are a handful who just have no sense of directions.
As Mort said in the original post, people can tie you up in knots. And if they get lost, they can still blame you.
The answering machine will have an option "For directions or address..." Those still confused can leave a message and we can try to help them sort out their issue.
Most people are internet savvy and those who are not gets smaller each year.
But each person has to find out what works for them. It is not my intent to try and handle by phone every possible issue when a website, email or other publications can handle their problem. I do not agree that being highly inefficient and pretending this is the 1950s is a requirement for a modern B&B. Many expect self help, online resources, and online booking. For others, there can be a level of personal service.

undersea said:
Of course it works. The vast majority of people have no problem using clear directions. Sometimes, detours or confusing signs or GPS problems cause issues for some. And yes, there are a handful who just have no sense of directions.
As Mort said in the original post, people can tie you up in knots. And if they get lost, they can still blame you.
The answering machine will have an option "For directions or address..." Those still confused can leave a message and we can try to help them sort out their issue.
But each person has to find out what works for them. It is not my intent to try and handle by phone every possible issue when a website, email or other publications can handle their problem. I do not agree that being highly inefficient and pretending this is the 1950s is a requirement for a modern B&B. Many expect self help, online resources, and online booking. For others, there can be a level of personal service.
undersea said:
Who said anything about the 50s? Your writing style makes it sound like you are calling me stupid. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and ask you to be more careful in the future. this is not the first time.
Internet savvy people, as you call them, tend to rely on their stupid gps which shows them the shortest and many times, not the best, route. gps brings my guests through the woods on a dirt road. Though I post directions on my web site (which is on the internet), most ignore it and rely on their gps.
One more. You continually brag make note of the fact that you will not answer phone calls. That doesn't work either. People who call want an answer. We have had people say they called several times and when we ask, 'why didn't you leave a message?', they say they wanted to talk directly.

undersea said:
undersea said:
Who said anything about the 50s? Your writing style makes it sound like you are calling me stupid. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and ask you to be more careful in the future. this is not the first time.
Internet savvy people, as you call them, tend to rely on their stupid gps which shows them the shortest and many times, not the best, route. gps brings my guests through the woods on a dirt road. Though I post directions on my web site (which is on the internet), most ignore it and rely on their gps.
One more. You continually brag make note of the fact that you will not answer phone calls. That doesn't work either. People who call want an answer. We have had people say they called several times and when we ask, 'why didn't you leave a message?', they say they wanted to talk directly.
There is a way business was done in the 1950s. Do not understand why you would personalize things rather than accept people speak freely. The idea that people are incapable of figuring out how to use online information borders on stereotyping. I work in the IT field, and interact with a lot of people who use online information. Most users have no issue, unless it is poorly designed or incomplete. When people have problems, the first thing a business should do, is to seek to improve the information, navigation, presentation, etc. For the rest of the users, that is why there is customer service.
Frankly, the hint at bragging is uncalled for. I have never bragged about anything here. I see few people doing that. I am trying to form an optimal set of business processes for booking, guest service, location, finance, marketing, etc. in an ultracompetitive, rapidly changing environment. But I do not sugar coat or celebrate every small achievement by every member.
Some people here already avoid answering the phone, as has already been discussed on a number of threads. Each person needs to find what works for them. Because one person does something does not mean everyone has to do it that way.

undersea said:
undersea said:
There is a way business was done in the 1950s. Do not understand why you would personalize things rather than accept people speak freely. The idea that people are incapable of figuring out how to use online information borders on stereotyping. I work in the IT field, and interact with a lot of people who use online information. Most users have no issue, unless it is poorly designed or incomplete. When people have problems, the first thing a business should do, is to seek to improve the information, navigation, presentation, etc. For the rest of the users, that is why there is customer service.
Frankly, the hint at bragging is uncalled for. I have never bragged about anything here. I see few people doing that. I am trying to form an optimal set of business processes for booking, guest service, location, finance, marketing, etc. in an ultracompetitive, rapidly changing environment. But I do not sugar coat or celebrate every small achievement by every member.
Some people here already avoid answering the phone, as has already been discussed on a number of threads. Each person needs to find what works for them. Because one person does something does not mean everyone has to do it that way.
people are not incapable of using on line information. I didn't say that. What I said is they rely on their gps INSTEAD of my ON-LINE web site.
One would thing that my ON-LINE website would know how to get to my house better than a stupid gps. And one would be right.

undersea said:
undersea said:
Gomez was an engineer/scientist in another life. Every week or so I emailed a bulletin to my list of contacts with a helpful tip on how to use the new software everyone was getting, what quick workaround was available for the tech problem everyone was experiencing and my phone number to call if you needed immediate help.
100% of the time Gomez called. He wanted me to walk him thru each step over the phone. So, you see, I'm used to this. And then I married him.
I don't learn by reading. I'm one of those people who need to see it done and hear it said to me, then the written directions make sense. Even tho I provide tons of written info on the website, I understand when people can't extract the info without hearing it. It's a type of learner.
So, we try to provide multiple avenues for guests to get what they need. That's the secret. Not one way or the other, but multiple ways so you help each different kind of learner. Not PITA's, types of learner. They're not stupid if they don't understand something the way you present it. It's just not presented in a way they understand. (And back when I was a kid, if you didn't get it the way the teacher explained it you dropped out of school because there was only one way. Now we know better.)
Big photos. Bulleted lists. Charts with prices. Floor plans. And also the word picture you paint with text.
And still guests call who say they never saw a chart with prices. They never saw the room photos. They never saw that the bathroom is across the hall. They didn't know they could make their own reservation online. They never saw...
A lot of them are just tired of looking at beautiful websites and they want you to tell them to book here and book now because you have everything they need.
What I can't get to yet is video on the website. I hate watching videos of someone talking about something because I can read it much faster than they talk. BUT, for learning something, it helps to have the video. So provide both. The video and the text of what is said in the video. And sometime I'll get around to having a video made.

undersea said:
undersea said:
Gomez was an engineer/scientist in another life. Every week or so I emailed a bulletin to my list of contacts with a helpful tip on how to use the new software everyone was getting, what quick workaround was available for the tech problem everyone was experiencing and my phone number to call if you needed immediate help.
100% of the time Gomez called. He wanted me to walk him thru each step over the phone. So, you see, I'm used to this. And then I married him.
I don't learn by reading. I'm one of those people who need to see it done and hear it said to me, then the written directions make sense. Even tho I provide tons of written info on the website, I understand when people can't extract the info without hearing it. It's a type of learner.
So, we try to provide multiple avenues for guests to get what they need. That's the secret. Not one way or the other, but multiple ways so you help each different kind of learner. Not PITA's, types of learner. They're not stupid if they don't understand something the way you present it. It's just not presented in a way they understand. (And back when I was a kid, if you didn't get it the way the teacher explained it you dropped out of school because there was only one way. Now we know better.)
Big photos. Bulleted lists. Charts with prices. Floor plans. And also the word picture you paint with text.
And still guests call who say they never saw a chart with prices. They never saw the room photos. They never saw that the bathroom is across the hall. They didn't know they could make their own reservation online. They never saw...
A lot of them are just tired of looking at beautiful websites and they want you to tell them to book here and book now because you have everything they need.
What I can't get to yet is video on the website. I hate watching videos of someone talking about something because I can read it much faster than they talk. BUT, for learning something, it helps to have the video. So provide both. The video and the text of what is said in the video. And sometime I'll get around to having a video made.
Morticia said:
I totally agree. Some are visual, some want to call before booking, some only want self service, some may want to research or price compare, some want to watch video, some want yelp type reviews first.
But as an (business) owner, I do not want to spend a lot of time on the phone when guests would have been happy with online booking or self-service. And I do not want to deal with robocalls, charity calls, miscalls, hang ups, or advice seekers who are not guests. Thus, a simple phone tree with some basic info and leave message if they want to talk to us. We will get back to reasonable calls quickly.
I totally get I may lose some business. But time (and energy) is money. I see a number of owners who talk about not really making a profit, just paying the bills, somewhat frustrated, hanging around for hours hoping the guest shows up sometime, and pinning them to the property.
The way most businesses are going is partial automation and self serve, with live support for those who still need someone to talk to. WalMart nearby put in a large self checkout last week. Gas stations - who asks to check your oil or does your windshield anymore? Department stores have gotten rid of having lots of staff to assist customers. Many companies do not even put their phone number on their website.
On a side note, some may not be aware of the tsunami that is coming in car ownership. Millennials who are buying MUCH fewer cars, to city residents who never had one, Zip cars, driverless cars where people will get Uber style and not own, etc. So, how will rural B&Bs get them here? Therefore, any bus or train going near needs to be well documented on the website, perhaps with innkeeper pickup or taxi. Or alternatives...

Had one of those 10 minute telephone inquiries yesterday that did result in a 4 night booking, but since the 'what is your cancellation policy' question was asked, I expect the cancellation within the time frame. Not too bothered about it if it comes. Some definite food preferences. OK here with the preferences, but if a cancellation, probably will still fill at least the weekend. I'll consider it at PITA escape.
regular_smile.gif

undersea said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
I totally agree. Some are visual, some want to call before booking, some only want self service, some may want to research or price compare, some want to watch video, some want yelp type reviews first.
But as an (business) owner, I do not want to spend a lot of time on the phone when guests would have been happy with online booking or self-service. And I do not want to deal with robocalls, charity calls, miscalls, hang ups, or advice seekers who are not guests. Thus, a simple phone tree with some basic info and leave message if they want to talk to us. We will get back to reasonable calls quickly.
I totally get I may lose some business. But time (and energy) is money. I see a number of owners who talk about not really making a profit, just paying the bills, somewhat frustrated, hanging around for hours hoping the guest shows up sometime, and pinning them to the property.
The way most businesses are going is partial automation and self serve, with live support for those who still need someone to talk to. WalMart nearby put in a large self checkout last week. Gas stations - who asks to check your oil or does your windshield anymore? Department stores have gotten rid of having lots of staff to assist customers. Many companies do not even put their phone number on their website.
On a side note, some may not be aware of the tsunami that is coming in car ownership. Millennials who are buying MUCH fewer cars, to city residents who never had one, Zip cars, driverless cars where people will get Uber style and not own, etc. So, how will rural B&Bs get them here? Therefore, any bus or train going near needs to be well documented on the website, perhaps with innkeeper pickup or taxi. Or alternatives...
Guests from NYC fly here and get a taxi to and from the airport. If they never got a driver's license this is not the place to be because, altho there is a lot to do in town, there is not 3 days' worth. And all the good stuff really requires a set of wheels (even if those are bicycle wheels).
I think the younger crowd that is eschewing learning to drive (vs not owning a vehicle) is going to find they are limited in a lot of areas unless they move to where public transport is very good.
Zip car is a fantastic thing. We have lots of guests from NYC who don't own cars but they do rent cars when here. And they use zip cars at home for day trips.

Had one of those 10 minute telephone inquiries yesterday that did result in a 4 night booking, but since the 'what is your cancellation policy' question was asked, I expect the cancellation within the time frame. Not too bothered about it if it comes. Some definite food preferences. OK here with the preferences, but if a cancellation, probably will still fill at least the weekend. I'll consider it at PITA escape.
regular_smile.gif
3 calls for a one nighter. Trying to nail down some very specific answers. Sorry, I can't guarantee the things they want and I told them that. What's the cancellation? I think they were just going to call at 6 when they got to town and found exactly what they wanted.
Even the 'H' brand has stricter rules than 6 pm.
You know I could get off the phone a lot faster and sometimes I'm off in under 30 seconds!
But if they are hesitant and asking about canceling I generally tell them to call closer to the date or after asking the spouse. I tell them not to book if they're not certain because I am going to charge them.

Back