How much are we supposed to know?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be having that kind of stuff on the website. Waze and Google Maps say something about traffic. There is several websites that give every possible way to get public transit between two points (although not always correct). Even Gasbuddy for where to get the best deal on gas prices!
The more I see on this forum, the more robust I want my website and just say "follow this link"....
undersea said:
I would be having that kind of stuff on the website. Waze and Google Maps say something about traffic. There is several websites that give every possible way to get public transit between two points (although not always correct). Even Gasbuddy for where to get the best deal on gas prices!
The more I see on this forum, the more robust I want my website and just say "follow this link"...
It doesn't work. We have clear, easy to follow directions on our website. They use gooly maps and end up on a dirt road in the woods.
Of course it works. The vast majority of people have no problem using clear directions. Sometimes, detours or confusing signs or GPS problems cause issues for some. And yes, there are a handful who just have no sense of directions.
As Mort said in the original post, people can tie you up in knots. And if they get lost, they can still blame you.
The answering machine will have an option "For directions or address..." Those still confused can leave a message and we can try to help them sort out their issue.
Most people are internet savvy and those who are not gets smaller each year.
But each person has to find out what works for them. It is not my intent to try and handle by phone every possible issue when a website, email or other publications can handle their problem. I do not agree that being highly inefficient and pretending this is the 1950s is a requirement for a modern B&B. Many expect self help, online resources, and online booking. For others, there can be a level of personal service.
undersea said:
But each person has to find out what works for them. It is not my intent to try and handle by phone every possible issue when a website, email or other publications can handle their problem. I do not agree that being highly inefficient and pretending this is the 1950s is a requirement for a modern B&B. Many expect self help, online resources, and online booking. For others, there can be a level of personal service.
Gomez was an engineer/scientist in another life. Every week or so I emailed a bulletin to my list of contacts with a helpful tip on how to use the new software everyone was getting, what quick workaround was available for the tech problem everyone was experiencing and my phone number to call if you needed immediate help.
100% of the time Gomez called. He wanted me to walk him thru each step over the phone. So, you see, I'm used to this. And then I married him.
I don't learn by reading. I'm one of those people who need to see it done and hear it said to me, then the written directions make sense. Even tho I provide tons of written info on the website, I understand when people can't extract the info without hearing it. It's a type of learner.
So, we try to provide multiple avenues for guests to get what they need. That's the secret. Not one way or the other, but multiple ways so you help each different kind of learner. Not PITA's, types of learner. They're not stupid if they don't understand something the way you present it. It's just not presented in a way they understand. (And back when I was a kid, if you didn't get it the way the teacher explained it you dropped out of school because there was only one way. Now we know better.)
Big photos. Bulleted lists. Charts with prices. Floor plans. And also the word picture you paint with text.
And still guests call who say they never saw a chart with prices. They never saw the room photos. They never saw that the bathroom is across the hall. They didn't know they could make their own reservation online. They never saw...
A lot of them are just tired of looking at beautiful websites and they want you to tell them to book here and book now because you have everything they need.
What I can't get to yet is video on the website. I hate watching videos of someone talking about something because I can read it much faster than they talk. BUT, for learning something, it helps to have the video. So provide both. The video and the text of what is said in the video. And sometime I'll get around to having a video made.
Morticia said:
So, we try to provide multiple avenues for guests to get what they need. That's the secret. Not one way or the other, but multiple ways so you help each different kind of learner. Not PITA's, types of learner. They're not stupid if they don't understand something the way you present it. It's just not presented in a way they understand. (And back when I was a kid, if you didn't get it the way the teacher explained it you dropped out of school because there was only one way. Now we know better.)
I totally agree. Some are visual, some want to call before booking, some only want self service, some may want to research or price compare, some want to watch video, some want yelp type reviews first.
But as an (business) owner, I do not want to spend a lot of time on the phone when guests would have been happy with online booking or self-service. And I do not want to deal with robocalls, charity calls, miscalls, hang ups, or advice seekers who are not guests. Thus, a simple phone tree with some basic info and leave message if they want to talk to us. We will get back to reasonable calls quickly.
I totally get I may lose some business. But time (and energy) is money. I see a number of owners who talk about not really making a profit, just paying the bills, somewhat frustrated, hanging around for hours hoping the guest shows up sometime, and pinning them to the property.
The way most businesses are going is partial automation and self serve, with live support for those who still need someone to talk to. WalMart nearby put in a large self checkout last week. Gas stations - who asks to check your oil or does your windshield anymore? Department stores have gotten rid of having lots of staff to assist customers. Many companies do not even put their phone number on their website.
On a side note, some may not be aware of the tsunami that is coming in car ownership. Millennials who are buying MUCH fewer cars, to city residents who never had one, Zip cars, driverless cars where people will get Uber style and not own, etc. So, how will rural B&Bs get them here? Therefore, any bus or train going near needs to be well documented on the website, perhaps with innkeeper pickup or taxi. Or alternatives...
No other business is more people oriented than a B&B. I have an excellent website that is comprehensive and easy to navigate and almost 90% of my business is booked online. However, there is a population of older guests who find what they are looking for but still won't book online. In the past two days, I've gotten over $2K in bookings via phone - not typical for me but I'm so glad that I answered the phone and didn't let it go to voicemail. So although I can't stand when I get robo calls and I'm the type who actually yells back into the phone when I get them, I still do answer the phone if I can because losing guests just for not answering the phone would upset me much more than a robo call. I used to have a wireless headset and belt clip phone that I carried around when I was busy so I didn't have to go back to my office but it died. I'm looking to get a replacement for the busy season because that's when I could potentially lose the most business. I would definitely reconsider not answering the phone!

Let the fun continue. Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never. Offer again to refund and help them find somewhere else to stay. (That's going to be at $350/night or $150 for one of those motels with the numbers.) Luckily? We had another room open. Not as nice (IMO) but that was it.
They will stay in that room one night, says guest, then we'll move to a different room. Don't think so.
Guest then refuses help getting enormous suitcases into room. Leaves every door open along the way. Three times. Guest's spouse not happy with guest.

Let the fun continue. Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never. Offer again to refund and help them find somewhere else to stay. (That's going to be at $350/night or $150 for one of those motels with the numbers.) Luckily? We had another room open. Not as nice (IMO) but that was it.
They will stay in that room one night, says guest, then we'll move to a different room. Don't think so.
Guest then refuses help getting enormous suitcases into room. Leaves every door open along the way. Three times. Guest's spouse not happy with guest..
Boy, Mort, you get the most insulting people! I don't know how you continue with such "guests". I would be outta there after one season with rude people like that. Now I know you get mostly wonderful, considerate guests...but one character like this can ruin a week of wonderful guests in a heartbeat!
What will you do if they want to move to another room tomorrow?? You have already offered them a refund which they didn't take. I would soooo want them gone, gone, gone!

Guest then refuses help getting enormous suitcases into room. Leaves every door open along the way. Three times. Guest's spouse not happy with guest..
Boy, Mort, you get the most insulting people! I don't know how you continue with such "guests". I would be outta there after one season with rude people like that. Now I know you get mostly wonderful, considerate guests...but one character like this can ruin a week of wonderful guests in a heartbeat!
What will you do if they want to move to another room tomorrow?? You have already offered them a refund which they didn't take. I would soooo want them gone, gone, gone!
The only other option tomorrow is the plague room.
Funny thing - our housekeeper called in today so we had that to do also. Stopping cleaning because everyone went out to watch the parade before checking out. And yet? Water off a duck's back.
This complaint was just one of those things. And I know the guest is not going to let this go. I will hear about it in some fashion or another for days.
However, do not start in on me at breakfast. You don't like this or that, make me something different. ;-)
They pay, they stay, they go away.

Funny thing - our housekeeper called in today so we had that to do also. Stopping cleaning because everyone went out to watch the parade before checking out. And yet? Water off a duck's back.
This complaint was just one of those things. And I know the guest is not going to let this go. I will hear about it in some fashion or another for days.
However, do not start in on me at breakfast. You don't like this or that, make me something different. ;-)
Better get that PITA baton back! I honestly don't know how you don't just blow up at them...after what they make you go through...I would be tossing them out the door and NO refund!!

Better get that PITA baton back! I honestly don't know how you don't just blow up at them...after what they make you go through...I would be tossing them out the door and NO refund!!
EmptyNest said:
No, the label clipper has it all over this entitled bozo! I'm staying away from the baton this season!
Happily writing guest into my story. Poor guest, gets knocked into a lobster pound filled with zombie lobsters. ;-)

I too would have refunded, but wouldn't have offered to help. Wouldn't have offered another room. Sometimes it's just easier to let them go.

Morticia said:
Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never.
I quite likely would have thrown them out and suffered the TA consequences. Not "offered" a refund, but INSISTED on one, and that they leave. I'm like that, unfortunately. When someone complains about something the previous 200 people have loved, it just "flies all over me" and I over react.
I've read that in America, if you complain about the meal at a restaurant, they usually give you your meal free, while in Italy if you complain they chase you out of the restaurant with a meat cleaver in their hands! Maybe I'm part Italian.

Morticia said:
Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never.
I quite likely would have thrown them out and suffered the TA consequences. Not "offered" a refund, but INSISTED on one, and that they leave. I'm like that, unfortunately. When someone complains about something the previous 200 people have loved, it just "flies all over me" and I over react.
I've read that in America, if you complain about the meal at a restaurant, they usually give you your meal free, while in Italy if you complain they chase you out of the restaurant with a meat cleaver in their hands! Maybe I'm part Italian.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
We had a situation once before where I should have forced them to leave. We'll see.

Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
We had a situation once before where I should have forced them to leave. We'll see.
So is the "not up to expectations" a real complaint, or is it just a ploy to get a discount and/or upgrade for free? The fact that they did not accept your offer of a refund suggests either the latter, or that they already know there is likely nothing else available on short notice for a holiday weekend...
We try hard to set expectations appropriately on our website, in our advertising, and in our confirmation, but occasionally somebody comes to stay who somehow didn't get the message... It certainly is frustrating, and annoying.

Morticia said:
Arks said:
Morticia said:
So is the "not up to expectations" a real complaint, or is it just a ploy to get a discount and/or upgrade for free? The fact that they did not accept your offer of a refund suggests either the latter, or that they already know there is likely nothing else available on short notice for a holiday weekend...
We try hard to set expectations appropriately on our website, in our advertising, and in our confirmation, but occasionally somebody comes to stay who somehow didn't get the message... It certainly is frustrating, and annoying.
Well, for their complaint they got a room that I don't think is as nice. I offered a full refund on the spot, but maybe they thought they would get to stay, too. I checked availability for them in town. Like I said $150 for a motel, $350 for the Hilton.
I understand what his complaint was about. But not ever hearing that particular complaint and not hearing it phrased in such a way was a surprise. Heaven knows I've heard enough other complaints. We have fixed this problem in every other room because I didn't like the way it was. This room it is impossible to fix. And we do have guests who select this room in particular quite often, so it's not a problem for everyone.

Apparently guest thought this was a state the size of Rhode island. Still upset that things aren't close enough to see everything in a few days. Thought we were a 'neighborhood' in the big city so why didn't we know the bus schedule, etc.
And. Is in the biz. Yes, this biz.

Apparently guest thought this was a state the size of Rhode island. Still upset that things aren't close enough to see everything in a few days. Thought we were a 'neighborhood' in the big city so why didn't we know the bus schedule, etc.
And. Is in the biz. Yes, this biz..
hmmm... seems to me your area gets its own "very special needs" biz... you have our abiding sympathy.

WHAT THE ???? Obviously fall into the helpless class. Remind me NEVER to book their place!!! Let them be upset all they want...it is their own STUPIDITY...not you. I would be tempted to tell them...what do you tell your guests who don't have a clue???? DUH!!!

hmmm... seems to me your area gets its own "very special needs" biz... you have our abiding sympathy.
Momma Smurf said:
I don't mention the 99%. ;-)
The ones who come with lists of things and maps and a fair idea of how far away stuff is. Or are just going to relax. Or are coming because they're open to trying something new.
And who realize that there's a lot of old stuff in these parts and it's not all modern built houses with 500 sq ft en suite bedrooms.
If I wanted to put rooms in the attic, who am I kidding with the complaints we already get about stairs, then I could have very large rooms with jetted tubs and steam shower.
99% go away happy.

Reminds me of the people that want to do Niagara Falls from here as a day trip. It's 8 hours or so without traffic. So 16 hours on the road....

I promise everyone that we are NOT traveling right now.
angel_smile.gif

angel_smile.gif

happykeeper said:
angel_smile.gif
Haps, we never thought you were
heart.gif

Momma Smurf said:
The ones who come with lists of things and maps and a fair idea of how far away stuff is. Or are just going to relax. Or are coming because they're open to trying something new.
And who realize that there's a lot of old stuff in these parts and it's not all modern built houses with 500 sq ft en suite bedrooms.
If I wanted to put rooms in the attic, who am I kidding with the complaints we already get about stairs, then I could have very large rooms with jetted tubs and steam shower.
99% go away happy.
You are in New England, don't they know that? They need an adjustment in their expectations for the age and style of NE homes/B+Bs. As for the attic room? If you could make a perfectly wonderful private owners quarters up there, it might be worth the expense and bother. And it might entice you into staying in the business for longer than you thought you would.
Or if you think you could get enough $$ for it with all the bells and whistles it might pay for itself in 5-10 years. Ya wanna wait that long???

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
You are in New England, don't they know that? They need an adjustment in their expectations for the age and style of NE homes/B+Bs. As for the attic room? If you could make a perfectly wonderful private owners quarters up there, it might be worth the expense and bother. And it might entice you into staying in the business for longer than you thought you would.
Or if you think you could get enough $$ for it with all the bells and whistles it might pay for itself in 5-10 years. Ya wanna wait that long???
I have a whole apartment to myself away from the guests, with the exception of one room. I'd have half the space converting the attic for us.
That space would need tons of reno - fire safety, fire escape, plumbing, sound insulation, etc. I don't think I could stand the construction zone!
I'll let the next owners undertake that project. I've got a list of things the next folks can do. Stuff I might have done even 5 years ago but that I'm just too tired to attempt now.
At this point we've repaired almost everything. Now I want to enjoy the place for a bit. :)

Back