How much are we supposed to know?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently guest thought this was a state the size of Rhode island. Still upset that things aren't close enough to see everything in a few days. Thought we were a 'neighborhood' in the big city so why didn't we know the bus schedule, etc.
And. Is in the biz. Yes, this biz..
Even in a small state you can't see everything in a few days..... Five people/couples found out you can't see our city in a day on the fourth of July and came knocking on our door looking for a room. Sorry we are booked full. One guy wouldn't take a no. "You got to have something!"
Years ago when I was a relief night auditor at a 205 room hotel, I had someone come in on a summer Saturday night about 2 AM a room. When I said we were booked, he had the gall to say to me, (and I m quoting verbatim) "Do you mean to tell me that if the President of the United States walked in you would tell him you are full?" I replied that I could offer him a couch in one of the meeting rooms but that would be all. I guess the owners of the hotel forgot they were supposed to have a room for the President so I could give it to that man.
The President's official would have booked the room weeks ago....so should have you!
thumbs_up.gif

I seriously do not intend to play tennis (back and forth) with people who try to circumvent policies.
I think some people think they are clever or try to get their way. It is only human.
But to me: "No rooms. Conversation over. But when you are elected, please stop by."
it's usually easy to win this one. if you have no rooms, then you have no rooms. we can't house you if we have no rooms. sorry.
I hate the ones that when you tell them that you have no room at the inn and yet keep on insisting that they want a price? We are sold out, there is no price!

But when they insist... A cool one million per night and you can have the innkeepers quarters, including anything in the fridge or freezer and I'll cook you three meals while you are here as well. Heck, I'll throw in new sheets, new towels and you can keep them too. Certified cheque only. I don't have the time to count the cash.
We both adopt a very sorrowful tone. If it's not the 10th call of the evening then I'll look at availability at other places for them.
If they're at the door I do the same thing. But we all know that about me, don't we.
Yup... too nice... in NYC you would just be called a mark :)
Jon Sable said:
I learned nice in NYC. Then it got reinforced in VT. Now it's innate.
Morticia said:
Jon Sable said:
I learned nice in NYC. Then it got reinforced in VT. Now it's innate.
Nice is good. Keep being nice. :)

Apparently guest thought this was a state the size of Rhode island. Still upset that things aren't close enough to see everything in a few days. Thought we were a 'neighborhood' in the big city so why didn't we know the bus schedule, etc.
And. Is in the biz. Yes, this biz..
Even in a small state you can't see everything in a few days..... Five people/couples found out you can't see our city in a day on the fourth of July and came knocking on our door looking for a room. Sorry we are booked full. One guy wouldn't take a no. "You got to have something!"
There's a place in town here they could have stayed. The innkeeper puts cots in the hall and let's guests sleep on the couch.
you laugh but we used to have an annual conference which was like that - my godmother rang to ask what I thought for a price for someone to sleep on a sofa in reception!

Let the fun continue. Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never. Offer again to refund and help them find somewhere else to stay. (That's going to be at $350/night or $150 for one of those motels with the numbers.) Luckily? We had another room open. Not as nice (IMO) but that was it.
They will stay in that room one night, says guest, then we'll move to a different room. Don't think so.
Guest then refuses help getting enormous suitcases into room. Leaves every door open along the way. Three times. Guest's spouse not happy with guest..
Morticia said:
Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never.
I quite likely would have thrown them out and suffered the TA consequences. Not "offered" a refund, but INSISTED on one, and that they leave. I'm like that, unfortunately. When someone complains about something the previous 200 people have loved, it just "flies all over me" and I over react.
I've read that in America, if you complain about the meal at a restaurant, they usually give you your meal free, while in Italy if you complain they chase you out of the restaurant with a meat cleaver in their hands! Maybe I'm part Italian.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Guest in the house for 3 minutes. "Not up to my expectations." I offer to refund immediately. "You've probably heard this complaint many times." No, never.
I quite likely would have thrown them out and suffered the TA consequences. Not "offered" a refund, but INSISTED on one, and that they leave. I'm like that, unfortunately. When someone complains about something the previous 200 people have loved, it just "flies all over me" and I over react.
I've read that in America, if you complain about the meal at a restaurant, they usually give you your meal free, while in Italy if you complain they chase you out of the restaurant with a meat cleaver in their hands! Maybe I'm part Italian.
I just took a personality test and have been labeled Italian and would have told them to get out and good riddens

The availability of every accommodation provider within 25 mile radius?
Had a no show at the end of May, turned out not to be a no-show when they arrived the same date in June, they'd booked the wrong month. They even had their confirmation with them with May on it.
We were full, I phoned all my local contacts but none answered the phone. I gave them directions, plus told them if they couldn't get anything local they'd have to go into town or try the big budget hotel on the outskirts.
At every suggestion they asked "Will they have vacancies?"..... How the h*** should I know (was what I wanted to say).

Had a no show at the end of May, turned out not to be a no-show when they arrived the same date in June, they'd booked the wrong month. They even had their confirmation with them with May on it.
We were full, I phoned all my local contacts but none answered the phone. I gave them directions, plus told them if they couldn't get anything local they'd have to go into town or try the big budget hotel on the outskirts.
At every suggestion they asked "Will they have vacancies?"..... How the h*** should I know (was what I wanted to say)..
I would not have phoned everyone, personally. Obviously, it was not really appreciated. They showed up at the wrong time.
"Here is a hotel site - it will tell you whether places are available."

At every suggestion they asked "Will they have vacancies?"..... How the h*** should I know (was what I wanted to say)..
I would not have phoned everyone, personally. Obviously, it was not really appreciated. They showed up at the wrong time.
"Here is a hotel site - it will tell you whether places are available."
its why we have an email network - one email hits everyone "if you have a room ring XXX as they are looking" put in mobile number and hits 50 places - no longer my problem.

Back