How much are we supposed to know?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently guest thought this was a state the size of Rhode island. Still upset that things aren't close enough to see everything in a few days. Thought we were a 'neighborhood' in the big city so why didn't we know the bus schedule, etc.
And. Is in the biz. Yes, this biz..
hmmm... seems to me your area gets its own "very special needs" biz... you have our abiding sympathy.
Momma Smurf said:
hmmm... seems to me your area gets its own "very special needs" biz... you have our abiding sympathy.
I don't mention the 99%. ;-)
The ones who come with lists of things and maps and a fair idea of how far away stuff is. Or are just going to relax. Or are coming because they're open to trying something new.
And who realize that there's a lot of old stuff in these parts and it's not all modern built houses with 500 sq ft en suite bedrooms.
If I wanted to put rooms in the attic, who am I kidding with the complaints we already get about stairs, then I could have very large rooms with jetted tubs and steam shower.
99% go away happy.
You are in New England, don't they know that? They need an adjustment in their expectations for the age and style of NE homes/B+Bs. As for the attic room? If you could make a perfectly wonderful private owners quarters up there, it might be worth the expense and bother. And it might entice you into staying in the business for longer than you thought you would.
Or if you think you could get enough $$ for it with all the bells and whistles it might pay for itself in 5-10 years. Ya wanna wait that long???
I have a whole apartment to myself away from the guests, with the exception of one room. I'd have half the space converting the attic for us.
That space would need tons of reno - fire safety, fire escape, plumbing, sound insulation, etc. I don't think I could stand the construction zone!
I'll let the next owners undertake that project. I've got a list of things the next folks can do. Stuff I might have done even 5 years ago but that I'm just too tired to attempt now.
At this point we've repaired almost everything. Now I want to enjoy the place for a bit. :)
Morticia said:
Now I want to enjoy the place for a bit. :)
thumbs_up.gif

Apparently guest thought this was a state the size of Rhode island. Still upset that things aren't close enough to see everything in a few days. Thought we were a 'neighborhood' in the big city so why didn't we know the bus schedule, etc.
Momma Smurf said:
The ones who come with lists of things and maps and a fair idea of how far away stuff is. Or are just going to relax. Or are coming because they're open to trying something new.
And who realize that there's a lot of old stuff in these parts and it's not all modern built houses with 500 sq ft en suite bedrooms.
If I wanted to put rooms in the attic, who am I kidding with the complaints we already get about stairs, then I could have very large rooms with jetted tubs and steam shower.
99% go away happy.
You are in New England, don't they know that? They need an adjustment in their expectations for the age and style of NE homes/B+Bs. As for the attic room? If you could make a perfectly wonderful private owners quarters up there, it might be worth the expense and bother. And it might entice you into staying in the business for longer than you thought you would.
Or if you think you could get enough $$ for it with all the bells and whistles it might pay for itself in 5-10 years. Ya wanna wait that long???
I have a whole apartment to myself away from the guests, with the exception of one room. I'd have half the space converting the attic for us.
That space would need tons of reno - fire safety, fire escape, plumbing, sound insulation, etc. I don't think I could stand the construction zone!
I'll let the next owners undertake that project. I've got a list of things the next folks can do. Stuff I might have done even 5 years ago but that I'm just too tired to attempt now.
At this point we've repaired almost everything. Now I want to enjoy the place for a bit. :)
thumbs_up.gif

I don't blame you. We are also in the "hold the line"mode, although the next owners might want to do something with the 3 level 30'X40' building that we use as a workshop and storage. It has the best view on the property but we never got around to bringing up to its highest and best use!

And a few more - it didn't cool off enough at night. The ferry waited for too long for a large group. The stores closed too early.

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
thumbs_up.gif

I don't blame you. We are also in the "hold the line"mode, although the next owners might want to do something with the 3 level 30'X40' building that we use as a workshop and storage. It has the best view on the property but we never got around to bringing up to its highest and best use!
Still have one more room on our side to paint. Then replace all the carpet.

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
Giving up the attic also means giving up storage. With us, storage is important. And easily accessed storage is worth a lot!

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
thumbs_up.gif

You must be a landlord.
There is a remodeling philosophy for some - "I just want to buy something I only have to paint and carpet." It means, don't want a rental property that needs redoing bath or kitchen, etc...

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
thumbs_up.gif

You must be a landlord.
There is a remodeling philosophy for some - "I just want to buy something I only have to paint and carpet." It means, don't want a rental property that needs redoing bath or kitchen, etc...
undersea said:
You must be a landlord.
Heavens I would never be a landlord! Too much grief. Did it for 4 months and that was enough. We rented back to the previous owners a house we bought. (They were retiring, but didn't want to move out for 4 months.)
They called us one blisteringly hot July day to say there was no power to one upstairs room. They had lived in the house for 10 years and never had a problem with the power.
We spent 4 hours in and out of the attic searching for loose wiring. Problem? They had flipped a light switch they that they had never figured out what it went to. Yup. The room upstairs.
We've renovated this building (as we did that other one) and now I want to enjoy our work and maybe expend less than $25k/year on maintenance. (Yes, we do most of the work ourselves but leave the big jobs to the people who can be in and out in a couple of days.)
So, we're down to carpet and paint. The big stuff is done. We spent the first 6 years working on infrastructure. Only started the pretty stuff 4 years ago.
Next year I'll be down to maybe picking up a new painting or two.

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
thumbs_up.gif

You must be a landlord.
undersea said:
You must be a landlord.
Heavens I would never be a landlord! Too much grief. Did it for 4 months and that was enough. We rented back to the previous owners a house we bought. (They were retiring, but didn't want to move out for 4 months.)
They called us one blisteringly hot July day to say there was no power to one upstairs room. They had lived in the house for 10 years and never had a problem with the power.
We spent 4 hours in and out of the attic searching for loose wiring. Problem? They had flipped a light switch they that they had never figured out what it went to. Yup. The room upstairs.
We've renovated this building (as we did that other one) and now I want to enjoy our work and maybe expend less than $25k/year on maintenance. (Yes, we do most of the work ourselves but leave the big jobs to the people who can be in and out in a couple of days.)
So, we're down to carpet and paint. The big stuff is done. We spent the first 6 years working on infrastructure. Only started the pretty stuff 4 years ago.
Morticia said:
undersea said:
You must be a landlord.
sounds fun and almost luxurious. We still have on our list, windows, three bathrooms and if we do well next year, a roof deck. But we have already done, some windows, two bathrooms, carpet, gutters, drainage, landscaping, new porch, a whole kitchen, tvs, new electrical for AC.... and a bunch of small stuff that you don't even remember doing. I love old houses and I love renovation. But I also look forward to, like you said, arranging throw pillows and maybe upgrading some curtains.

Momma Smurf said:
99% go away happy.
thumbs_up.gif

You must be a landlord.
undersea said:
You must be a landlord.
Morticia said:
undersea said:
You must be a landlord.
sounds fun and almost luxurious. We still have on our list, windows, three bathrooms and if we do well next year, a roof deck. But we have already done, some windows, two bathrooms, carpet, gutters, drainage, landscaping, new porch, a whole kitchen, tvs, new electrical for AC.... and a bunch of small stuff that you don't even remember doing. I love old houses and I love renovation. But I also look forward to, like you said, arranging throw pillows and maybe upgrading some curtains.
It is luxurious! We didn't get to a few things this year but they were all 'b' level projects so I don't care.
Actually, now that I think of it we do have to buy one more new mattress set and install TV in some rooms. But, everyone loves the bed I'm replacing (28 years old!) so no rush. And the TV has to wait until the installer can get to all the rooms at once.

Even in a small state you can't see everything in a few days..... Five people/couples found out you can't see our city in a day on the fourth of July and came knocking on our door looking for a room. Sorry we are booked full. One guy wouldn't take a no. "You got to have something!"

Even in a small state you can't see everything in a few days..... Five people/couples found out you can't see our city in a day on the fourth of July and came knocking on our door looking for a room. Sorry we are booked full. One guy wouldn't take a no. "You got to have something!"
There's a place in town here they could have stayed. The innkeeper puts cots in the hall and let's guests sleep on the couch.

Years ago when I was a relief night auditor at a 205 room hotel, I had someone come in on a summer Saturday night about 2 AM a room. When I said we were booked, he had the gall to say to me, (and I m quoting verbatim) "Do you mean to tell me that if the President of the United States walked in you would tell him you are full?" I replied that I could offer him a couch in one of the meeting rooms but that would be all. I guess the owners of the hotel forgot they were supposed to have a room for the President so I could give it to that man.

Years ago when I was a relief night auditor at a 205 room hotel, I had someone come in on a summer Saturday night about 2 AM a room. When I said we were booked, he had the gall to say to me, (and I m quoting verbatim) "Do you mean to tell me that if the President of the United States walked in you would tell him you are full?" I replied that I could offer him a couch in one of the meeting rooms but that would be all. I guess the owners of the hotel forgot they were supposed to have a room for the President so I could give it to that man.
The President's official would have booked the room weeks ago....so should have you!

The President's official would have booked the room weeks ago....so should have you!
thumbs_up.gif

I seriously do not intend to play tennis (back and forth) with people who try to circumvent policies.
I think some people think they are clever or try to get their way. It is only human.
But to me: "No rooms. Conversation over. But when you are elected, please stop by."

thumbs_up.gif

I seriously do not intend to play tennis (back and forth) with people who try to circumvent policies.
I think some people think they are clever or try to get their way. It is only human.
But to me: "No rooms. Conversation over. But when you are elected, please stop by."
it's usually easy to win this one. if you have no rooms, then you have no rooms. we can't house you if we have no rooms. sorry.

thumbs_up.gif

it's usually easy to win this one. if you have no rooms, then you have no rooms. we can't house you if we have no rooms. sorry.
I hate the ones that when you tell them that you have no room at the inn and yet keep on insisting that they want a price? We are sold out, there is no price!

But when they insist... A cool one million per night and you can have the innkeepers quarters, including anything in the fridge or freezer and I'll cook you three meals while you are here as well. Heck, I'll throw in new sheets, new towels and you can keep them too. Certified cheque only. I don't have the time to count the cash.

thumbs_up.gif

I hate the ones that when you tell them that you have no room at the inn and yet keep on insisting that they want a price? We are sold out, there is no price!

But when they insist... A cool one million per night and you can have the innkeepers quarters, including anything in the fridge or freezer and I'll cook you three meals while you are here as well. Heck, I'll throw in new sheets, new towels and you can keep them too. Certified cheque only. I don't have the time to count the cash.
We both adopt a very sorrowful tone. If it's not the 10th call of the evening then I'll look at availability at other places for them.
If they're at the door I do the same thing. But we all know that about me, don't we.

thumbs_up.gif

We both adopt a very sorrowful tone. If it's not the 10th call of the evening then I'll look at availability at other places for them.
If they're at the door I do the same thing. But we all know that about me, don't we.
Yup... too nice... in NYC you would just be called a mark :)

thumbs_up.gif

Jon Sable said:
I learned nice in NYC. Then it got reinforced in VT. Now it's innate.

Back