Shared Bath - your experience?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It wouldn't bother me in the least. I would have said it would be a deal breaker for DH, but recently we stayed at an old lodge with only two baths and two separate showers for the entire floor. He loved the lodge and wants to stay again. One of the few places he'd like to return to ( we usually always stay somewhere we've never stayed before ). But normally no private bath means no stay for us. Just too easy to find 'somewhere else'. One B&B in a nearby town had two rooms with the shared bath in between. Two out of four rooms. A hotel reopened. The B&B closed..
I agree. I have no problem sharing a bath. After all, that is what you doing at work, at the store, the gym, and other places...
Sorry undersea..it is not the same thing. We want our privacy in our own bathroom. Do NOT want to walk down the hall in the middle of the night etc etc. NO SHARED BATHS!
EmptyNest said:
Sorry undersea..it is not the same thing. We want our privacy in our own bathroom. Do NOT want to walk down the hall in the middle of the night etc etc. NO SHARED BATHS!
You bring up a second point. A shared bath is not the same as a down the hall bath. Though people reading our website get confused.
We do have one down the hall bath but it is not shared. And we charge less for that room.

It wouldn't bother me in the least. I would have said it would be a deal breaker for DH, but recently we stayed at an old lodge with only two baths and two separate showers for the entire floor. He loved the lodge and wants to stay again. One of the few places he'd like to return to ( we usually always stay somewhere we've never stayed before ). But normally no private bath means no stay for us. Just too easy to find 'somewhere else'. One B&B in a nearby town had two rooms with the shared bath in between. Two out of four rooms. A hotel reopened. The B&B closed..
I agree. I have no problem sharing a bath. After all, that is what you doing at work, at the store, the gym, and other places...
undersea said:
Not bathing, however. And then there are those who hold it and won't go in those places.
cry_smile.gif

"hold it in" --> Describes my father. He almost never uses a public restroom, if he has a choice.
I am more of the sort that "foxes have holes and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to rest his head."
I have lived with numerous people in college and shared apartments and housing. Used gym showers. Stayed with family members and shared the bathrooms. Been camping, etc. I like my own bath like everyone, but will just as quickly use a shared bathroom. After all, most will be in shared cemeteries eventually, so a humble outlook never hurts.

EmptyNest said:
You bring up a second point. A shared bath is not the same as a down the hall bath. Though people reading our website get confused.
We do have one down the hall bath but it is not shared. And we charge less for that room.
The property we had been looking at had a couple bathrooms outside a bedroom. But a little clever addition of a wall/door in the hallway could isolate the bedroom AND bathroom behind one door and create an en suite bath.

EmptyNest said:
The property we had been looking at had a couple bathrooms outside a bedroom. But a little clever addition of a wall/door in the hallway could isolate the bedroom AND bathroom behind one door and create an en suite bath.
undersea said:
If it's easy to make a suite, do it. It is worth it to your guest.

EmptyNest said:
undersea said:
Absolutely. Sometimes a new hallway wall&door (maybe $1000) could do this. Depends on location and architecture of the bed/bath doors and hallway. May need to ensure door opens into bed/bathroom, for example.
Also noticed one place, that by adding a hallway door/wall, could take two small rooms and a bath in the hall, and making it into a "suite" instead of a room. That alone could bring higher price ("suite" usually rents higher than "room").
Lot cheaper than spending $15,000 and shrinking a bedroom to add a tiny bath en suite.

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
That's a shared bath. Everyone knows that. And they all mention it on ta, even if they weren't in that room. "Make sure you don't get the room with the shared bath."
Even guests in that room who never shared the bath with anyone say it's a shared bath.
Yes, this is sarcasm. It's annoying to no end to deal with this every year. But the room makes money so it stays online.

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
That's a shared bath. Everyone knows that. And they all mention it on ta, even if they weren't in that room. "Make sure you don't get the room with the shared bath."
Even guests in that room who never shared the bath with anyone say it's a shared bath.
Yes, this is sarcasm. It's annoying to no end to deal with this every year. But the room makes money so it stays online.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Even when they reserve the private detached bath they still think it is shared. I have given up and let them think that. If they want to keep their crap out of there and act quieter about it, then sobeit.

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
I know. frustrating. And don't tell anyone, but sometimes, people who shouldn't, use it.

EmptyNest said:
undersea said:
Absolutely. Sometimes a new hallway wall&door (maybe $1000) could do this. Depends on location and architecture of the bed/bath doors and hallway. May need to ensure door opens into bed/bathroom, for example.
Also noticed one place, that by adding a hallway door/wall, could take two small rooms and a bath in the hall, and making it into a "suite" instead of a room. That alone could bring higher price ("suite" usually rents higher than "room").
Lot cheaper than spending $15,000 and shrinking a bedroom to add a tiny bath en suite.
undersea said:
We have a two room suite that shares a bath. The PO had beds in each of the rooms. We took out one bed and replaced it with a pull out sofa. I love it as a two room suite with sitting room, but it works for 3 or 4 people if needed (at a price of $25 extra per person over 2).

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
I know. frustrating. And don't tell anyone, but sometimes, people who shouldn't, use it.
TheBeachHouse said:
We lock the door whenever anyone is in the house. Got sick of cleaning that bathroom when the room wasn't rented.
But, right, it doesn't stop anyone if the guest leaves the door unlocked, especially because the sign on the door days Private. Everyone and their uncle tries to open that door.
We've thought about putting a sign by the toilet that states: this is not a shared bathroom; don't piss, just get off the pot.

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We lock the door whenever anyone is in the house. Got sick of cleaning that bathroom when the room wasn't rented.
But, right, it doesn't stop anyone if the guest leaves the door unlocked, especially because the sign on the door days Private. Everyone and their uncle tries to open that door.
We've thought about putting a sign by the toilet that states: this is not a shared bathroom; don't piss, just get off the pot.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
LOL

EmptyNest said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
We have a two room suite that shares a bath. The PO had beds in each of the rooms. We took out one bed and replaced it with a pull out sofa. I love it as a two room suite with sitting room, but it works for 3 or 4 people if needed (at a price of $25 extra per person over 2).
Exactly.
There has to be a point that one does not spend a fortune to squeeze bathrooms in, and works with the existing layout to do something that makes sense.
If someone has 4-6 rentable rooms, it is sometimes nice to have a diversity (such as one suite), and different price points and offerings.

undersea said:
Not bathing, however. And then there are those who hold it and won't go in those places.
cry_smile.gif

"hold it in" --> Describes my father. He almost never uses a public restroom, if he has a choice.
I am more of the sort that "foxes have holes and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to rest his head."
I have lived with numerous people in college and shared apartments and housing. Used gym showers. Stayed with family members and shared the bathrooms. Been camping, etc. I like my own bath like everyone, but will just as quickly use a shared bathroom. After all, most will be in shared cemeteries eventually, so a humble outlook never hurts.
No shared bath for us. When we were in our 20's perhaps we would take a shared bath for a lower rate. But now, if we could not afford a room with a private bath we simply would not travel.

EmptyNest said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
Exactly.
There has to be a point that one does not spend a fortune to squeeze bathrooms in, and works with the existing layout to do something that makes sense.
If someone has 4-6 rentable rooms, it is sometimes nice to have a diversity (such as one suite), and different price points and offerings.
undersea said:
Exactly.
We do everything ourselves and it is still a hefty chunk of change. It is one of those sooner than later things though. The sooner you get it done the sooner you can begin to recoup the $ for installing it.
I think rooms with diff price points are great. But it is not always size that matters in room rates, people will always think that way. Sometimes it is amenities like Jon said.

When we were able to travel, I looked for shared to save $$. Yes, today and in the condition Himself is in, we DO need private. If I am traveling alone, I do not care and would still do shared. Since Himself no longer travels (will probably travel to grandson's wedding IF we get enough notice to close down for it) it is a moot point.

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Keypad on door, turning handle to lock from inside. Door closer to ensure door remains closed... Private!

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Keypad on door, turning handle to lock from inside. Door closer to ensure door remains closed... Private!
That's an idea. A keypad. Then it's always locked. Too bad I love the original glass knob and the skeleton key. I'll keep it in mind.

EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
TheBeachHouse said:
That's an idea. A keypad. Then it's always locked. Too bad I love the original glass knob and the skeleton key. I'll keep it in mind.
Government told us that it has to be locked all the time. I kept on having this nightmare of someone locking the key inside at 1AM... keypad, no missing keys.

EmptyNest said:
undersea said:
undersea said:
Since our inn was in foreclosure, I'm not positive on how it was set up, but there is an set of bedrooms with a bathroom in between that were likely rented separately that will be a two room suite. Another set of rooms downstairs had two bathrooms but they were both in the same hallway outside of the rooms. We will eventually be combining the two small bathrooms into one big one and make that set of rooms a suite also. This also keeps us at the 5 room limit for our county so we don't have to follow hotel regulations.
For the original question, no, I would not share a bathroom. Not unless it was a ridiculously cheap hostel in some amazing location. Then, maybe.

personally, i really want my own bathroom. i share a house with four other people. there are two bathrooms here. so many times i get up in the night and the bathroom on the second floor is occupied. i go downstairs and that bathroom is also occupied. ugh.
now ....... as a guest staying in a b&b, here's my latest experience. i went up to a wake/funeral recently and decided to stay in the area b&b because it has such a low price with breakfast, safety and a nice lady. but there is one bathroom for three guest rooms and all the family clothes and belongings are in the bureaus and closets. wanting to hang up my outfit, i have to shove whoever's clothes to the side or hang them from the one hook on the door leading to the bathroom. that's where the owner wants you to hang your wet towel but i hang my clothes there.
getting ready for bed, i go in the shared bath and a bag of hair curlers and those stick pin things was sitting on the toilet tank. grandma was staying in one of the bedrooms and left all her personal items in the tiny shared bath. when i got up in the morning, grandma's dentures (upper and lower) were in a big ultrasonic cleaner sitting on the toilet. cord was strung across the sink and plugged into the outlet that's part of the mirror. her shower cap was hanging from a hook in the shower and she'd rinsed out a few personal items and had them drying on half the shower rod. really? really?
too funny to be mad. i unplugged the denture cleaner and put it on the floor and shoved her things aside. honestly, i am calling her grandma but i don't know if she was a paying guest or what. she knew i was staying there because she knocked on the door while i was using the bathroom.
next time (if ever) i stay there, i'm taking pictures as evidence to share with you.
point being - you can't know how your guests are going to behave in a shared bath.

Back