Shared Bath - your experience?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a kind of happy go lucky person, I can put up with a lot, especially when traveling. A shared bath would be no sweat for me.
My husband - not so much. He would be horrified by a shared bathroom because he is a germophobe and must pounce on every germ with a Lysol wipe. He would consider extra $ for a private bath money well spent. He IS grumpy in an endearing way, but he would never leave his room a mess. When we travel he keeps things so neat and compact that you might wonder if we had really checked in.

After lurking for some time, this is a topic that always gets a conversation going.
We run a busy B&B is Saskatchewan, fully licensed, inspected, pay our city and provincial tax - the whole 9 yards, with shared bathrooms. Our B&B is our home not built as a B&B, so our guests stay in the rooms that our children grew up in. (renovated and updated of course - super-hero and Brittany posters are off the walls ;-) )
We have two shared bathrooms, one directly across the hallway from the rooms and one further away. These are not shared with any family members, nor are the bedroom closets, cupboards or dressers/drawers. They are cleaned daily, more often when the B&B is busy.
Our websites, TA account, listings state that we have shared bathrooms. When people email/phone to book we tell them that we have two shared bathrooms. That being said it is still a question/request that we receive. My favourite call is: "We want to stay at your B&B but see that there is only shared bathrooms and we would like a private bath!" Hmmmm - I am always tempted to respond with: "We'll get on that right away and have one installed by the time you arrive", rather, I give them the names of other B&B's in the area that will better be able to meet their needs.
Those that chose to stay with us don't mind the shared facilities. Our busiest cliental are return guest.
Shared, private, en suite are all different levels of facilities that meet different travellers needs. For this I am grateful because our B&B owner's experience has been the best job/time of our lives - even with shared bathrooms.

After lurking for some time, this is a topic that always gets a conversation going.
We run a busy B&B is Saskatchewan, fully licensed, inspected, pay our city and provincial tax - the whole 9 yards, with shared bathrooms. Our B&B is our home not built as a B&B, so our guests stay in the rooms that our children grew up in. (renovated and updated of course - super-hero and Brittany posters are off the walls ;-) )
We have two shared bathrooms, one directly across the hallway from the rooms and one further away. These are not shared with any family members, nor are the bedroom closets, cupboards or dressers/drawers. They are cleaned daily, more often when the B&B is busy.
Our websites, TA account, listings state that we have shared bathrooms. When people email/phone to book we tell them that we have two shared bathrooms. That being said it is still a question/request that we receive. My favourite call is: "We want to stay at your B&B but see that there is only shared bathrooms and we would like a private bath!" Hmmmm - I am always tempted to respond with: "We'll get on that right away and have one installed by the time you arrive", rather, I give them the names of other B&B's in the area that will better be able to meet their needs.
Those that chose to stay with us don't mind the shared facilities. Our busiest cliental are return guest.
Shared, private, en suite are all different levels of facilities that meet different travellers needs. For this I am grateful because our B&B owner's experience has been the best job/time of our lives - even with shared bathrooms..
Glaciers In Saskatoon said:
Shared, private, en suite are all different levels of facilities that meet different travellers needs. For this I am grateful because our B&B owner's experience has been the best job/time of our lives - even with shared bathrooms.
I have 1 room with ensuite private bath and 3 that share a bath. When I get a call wanting a private bathroom and the ensuite is already rented, I tell them for the private bath rate, I will not rent the other room.I take $5 off the private rate for walking down the hall. Chances of me renting all three rooms - especially on a week night are slim.

I am a kind of happy go lucky person, I can put up with a lot, especially when traveling. A shared bath would be no sweat for me.
My husband - not so much. He would be horrified by a shared bathroom because he is a germophobe and must pounce on every germ with a Lysol wipe. He would consider extra $ for a private bath money well spent. He IS grumpy in an endearing way, but he would never leave his room a mess. When we travel he keeps things so neat and compact that you might wonder if we had really checked in..
I would hate to see what would happen if you mentioned that it's not the germs it's the viruses that you have to worry about... and no lysol wipe will work on them. Nor do the alcohol hand cleansers.

I would never book a place with a shared bath or even a private bath outside of the room. I mistakenly did that once and had to get up and get dressed in the middle of then night to go down the hall to use the bathroom -- getting up in the middle of the night and having to leave the room to go down the hall would never be worth staying anyplace for me. But I'm sure that there are people who have no problem with this. It would be interesting to see what the younger generations think of it, rather than the older generations who starting staying at B&Bs long ago and it was the norm to share a bath. They are supposed to be the sharing generations after all.

I would never book a place with a shared bath or even a private bath outside of the room. I mistakenly did that once and had to get up and get dressed in the middle of then night to go down the hall to use the bathroom -- getting up in the middle of the night and having to leave the room to go down the hall would never be worth staying anyplace for me. But I'm sure that there are people who have no problem with this. It would be interesting to see what the younger generations think of it, rather than the older generations who starting staying at B&Bs long ago and it was the norm to share a bath. They are supposed to be the sharing generations after all..
We supply robes (nice ones I might add) so no one has to get dressed in the middle of the night. We also leave the hall lights on all night so no one has to "stumble around" in the dark - even if there is no one in a room with a shared..

I would never book a place with a shared bath or even a private bath outside of the room. I mistakenly did that once and had to get up and get dressed in the middle of then night to go down the hall to use the bathroom -- getting up in the middle of the night and having to leave the room to go down the hall would never be worth staying anyplace for me. But I'm sure that there are people who have no problem with this. It would be interesting to see what the younger generations think of it, rather than the older generations who starting staying at B&Bs long ago and it was the norm to share a bath. They are supposed to be the sharing generations after all..
You remind me of another innkeeper. The breakfast was always what she liked. Too bad that what she liked was plain yogourt, puffed wheat cereal and hard boiled eggs.

You remind me of another innkeeper. The breakfast was always what she liked. Too bad that what she liked was plain yogourt, puffed wheat cereal and hard boiled eggs.
To each his own and that's an assumption to imply someone has no taste or is boring. I can assure you that I can be on an island camping after I've paddled my kayak a couple miles to get there, then enjoying a hot dog I cook over an open fire before climbing into a tent. Or I could be dressed to the nines at the theatre after enjoying the best restaurant in New York City or Boston. Or on a pier in Maine ripping apart a lobster and steamed clams as the juice drips down my hands, etc. I can stay in an old Historic B&B in Savannah or a W Hotel in Chicago that glows purple as I walked down the hallway. None of the above is boring plain yogurt or puffed rice like -- but I don't want a shared bath down the hall EVER!!! So I guess I'll never be a guest at those properties but I'm sure others will. No problem, I was just giving my opinion on my experience as was asked for.

To each his own and that's an assumption to imply someone has no taste or is boring. I can assure you that I can be on an island camping after I've paddled my kayak a couple miles to get there, then enjoying a hot dog I cook over an open fire before climbing into a tent. Or I could be dressed to the nines at the theatre after enjoying the best restaurant in New York City or Boston. Or on a pier in Maine ripping apart a lobster and steamed clams as the juice drips down my hands, etc. I can stay in an old Historic B&B in Savannah or a W Hotel in Chicago that glows purple as I walked down the hallway. None of the above is boring plain yogurt or puffed rice like -- but I don't want a shared bath down the hall EVER!!! So I guess I'll never be a guest at those properties but I'm sure others will. No problem, I was just giving my opinion on my experience as was asked for.
Yes, but the problem is that it's not about what we want, it's about what the public wants and is willing to accept.
That's why her breakfast didn't work out. It was what she wanted. We are in the business of what the guest wants and at what price. The law of supply and demand. For you, you won't stay at a B&B with a shared bath. But I have hundreds of guests who do.

Shared, private, en suite are all different levels of facilities that meet different travellers needs. For this I am grateful because our B&B owner's experience has been the best job/time of our lives - even with shared bathrooms..
Welcome! Glad to have you "show your face"! Hope it is the beginning of many more posts!

Welcome! Glad to have you "show your face"! Hope it is the beginning of many more posts!

Glad you are on the forum fellow B and B owner and good friend!.

Yes, but the problem is that it's not about what we want, it's about what the public wants and is willing to accept.
That's why her breakfast didn't work out. It was what she wanted. We are in the business of what the guest wants and at what price. The law of supply and demand. For you, you won't stay at a B&B with a shared bath. But I have hundreds of guests who do.
Yes, and I have hundreds of guests who would never pick a shared bath and have no problem paying over $300 a night for a room. This woman should know her market, competition, demographic of the guests she's trying to attract and what her pricing strategy will be to fill those rooms. If she can see that all of the competitions jacuzzi rooms are always full but their lower end rooms are not, then perhaps it wouldn't be worth it for her if she's not going to be anything special.
My jacuzzi rooms are always booked so I'm putting in another one for the room I'm adding. My numbers show what the public wants and they're OK spending the $$$ for it. But if shared baths in her area are always booking, then she can go for it. In our market, no one has shared baths in any price range. So if someone were to open up here around us, they'd have to price themselves way below others to get those guests. Yes, supply and demand works on both ends of the B&B spectrum - from low end to high end, there's something for everyone and a price point that reflects that.

Yes, and I have hundreds of guests who would never pick a shared bath and have no problem paying over $300 a night for a room. This woman should know her market, competition, demographic of the guests she's trying to attract and what her pricing strategy will be to fill those rooms. If she can see that all of the competitions jacuzzi rooms are always full but their lower end rooms are not, then perhaps it wouldn't be worth it for her if she's not going to be anything special.
My jacuzzi rooms are always booked so I'm putting in another one for the room I'm adding. My numbers show what the public wants and they're OK spending the $$$ for it. But if shared baths in her area are always booking, then she can go for it. In our market, no one has shared baths in any price range. So if someone were to open up here around us, they'd have to price themselves way below others to get those guests. Yes, supply and demand works on both ends of the B&B spectrum - from low end to high end, there's something for everyone and a price point that reflects that.
But you have to know the area and who goes there. I could have a private bath for every room and a Jacuzzi and every bloomin' thing you can think of and I would not be able to get over $200 per night rate (heck, I am pushing it with 149.75). Only places like the Greenbrier could get that rate and even they were having difficulty. I know my market and yes, if I had all private baths I would have a higher occupancy - maybe. However, my house will not support it. IF this lady can manage 1 private bathroom and not more than 2 rooms share a bathroom, she may do OK in her area. And perhaps she does not WANT to be 90% occupancy, I know I do not want that. I am too old to do that any more. I have too much on my plate.
I will tell aspirings to have private ensuite bathrooms if possible, but I would ask where they are and what type of guest they expect to have, and what do they expect the B & B to do. Are they wanting to "make a living", have the house pay for itself, or perhaps have some extra money and company? I knew from my location and what I have that I would never be THE place, but I have, from day one "played with the big boys" so my B & B and I are known in the State.
"Played with the big boys" means I went to workshops, conferences, and found the financing to go as part of WV delegations to events. In my State, delegations pay their own way. I did creative financing - I will take your brochures to this event for $100 - to pay my way to a 2001 Conference in Utah (I could have 1 packet in the goodie bags so I tied all my contributors brochures into a packet with mine) and did the same for an event at the Explorers Club in NYC.
Success is not just about bathrooms. It is about the reputation you build and the circles you get known in and most of all, the service you give. I believe it is not meant to be taken as such, but sometimes posts read as "holier than thou" and condescending. We all work with what we have and if WE are happy with what we have, where we have it, and how we have it, that is success. It is not who has the most guests, revenue, awards, or anything other than personal satisfaction. I may have 2 rooms with a shared bath with just one private, but I know I am where I belong with what I have. And when I sell, I hope to find people who feel the same way.

Right. So, should I discourage you?
There are a few places with all PB around here. I do better financially than they do. Heck, someone could put in all Jacuzzi baths around here and it likely wouldn't be able to increase their rate by enough to cover the costs of cleaning it all the time, never mind the installation costs.

I would tolerate a shared bath if it was a lower price place, but if she's doing gormet breakfasts that kind of suggests it's not.
Years ago lots of people would only book if they could have en-suite, nowadays they don't even ask so I guest it's kind of assumed.

We supply robes (nice ones I might add) so no one has to get dressed in the middle of the night. We also leave the hall lights on all night so no one has to "stumble around" in the dark - even if there is no one in a room with a shared..
gillumhouse said:
Same here. (And I think I first read about it here.) We have fluffy robes for the 'down the hall' room. We only supply robes in that one room and we make sure the guest knows it.

We had no problem in the past renting shared baths at B&Bs. Those days are gone. We also had no problem with a detached, but private, bath. Those days are gone also.
Maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting more creature comforts. :)
However, there's probably still a demographic out there that wouldn't mind a shared bath IF it was kept meticulously clean and there were other wonderful draws for a property..
Samster said:
We had no problem in the past renting shared baths at B&Bs. Those days are gone. We also had no problem with a detached, but private, bath. Those days are gone also.
Maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting more creature comforts. :)
I am, also thinking being the only detached bath kinda makes you feel awkward like everyone knows when you go in and out of your room, like getting up in the middle of a show and walked to the restroom - you know everyone sees you...vs a bunch of people using an outside bathroom.
Creature comforts aside, people have issues. I mean physical and bodily, and for that reason, some just need to have a private in-room bathroom.
I remember one place we stayed that had a bathroom door at the end of the hall (yes previously on this forum too) and DH was petrified to go in and make any sort of noise as it would carry down the hallway, and nearly ended up with a bowel obstruction over it. Yes, JB is being funny again.
shades_smile.gif

Every single guest we have demands a private bath. Really. No one wants a shared, no one is willing to endure a shared to stay here. But, having said that, we aren't overlooking the Giant's Causeway or something. If you had touristy stuff then people would make do. ('scuse the pun)
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
I am, also thinking being the only detached bath kinda makes you feel awkward like everyone knows when you go in and out of your room, like getting up in the middle of a show and walked to the restroom - you know everyone sees you...vs a bunch of people using an outside bathroom.
Creature comforts aside, people have issues. I mean physical and bodily, and for that reason, some just need to have a private in-room bathroom.
I remember one place we stayed that had a bathroom door at the end of the hall (yes previously on this forum too) and DH was petrified to go in and make any sort of noise as it would carry down the hallway, and nearly ended up with a bowel obstruction over it. Yes, JB is being funny again.
shades_smile.gif

Every single guest we have demands a private bath. Really. No one wants a shared, no one is willing to endure a shared to stay here. But, having said that, we aren't overlooking the Giant's Causeway or something. If you had touristy stuff then people would make do. ('scuse the pun)
Even at the Giant's Causeway, they all have en suite baths now. They've seen the light. The vast majority of travelers won't stay with a shared bath. On our trip of Northern Ireland & the Republic, everywhere we drove, we saw they added additional signage on their existing sign that said "En Suite Baths". Some of them you could barely squeeze into, but they were private.
I am curious. In the building we are currently looking at, the upstairs is an upscale 3 bed 2 bath apartment.
The second bath is in the hall for 2 bedrooms. I can just move the door and make 1 bedroom have ensuite
The other bedroom wall is wall closet;.one walkin for that room, and one walkin for the room above. So was thinking I could convert the walkin (and half the other walkin) into an ensuite bath. But then the room would have NO closet, and the other room would have a much smaller closet.
I am curious - in your experience - what is the smallest an ensuite bathroom can be and not turn people off?

Back