Shared Bath - your experience?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
personally, i really want my own bathroom. i share a house with four other people. there are two bathrooms here. so many times i get up in the night and the bathroom on the second floor is occupied. i go downstairs and that bathroom is also occupied. ugh.
now ....... as a guest staying in a b&b, here's my latest experience. i went up to a wake/funeral recently and decided to stay in the area b&b because it has such a low price with breakfast, safety and a nice lady. but there is one bathroom for three guest rooms and all the family clothes and belongings are in the bureaus and closets. wanting to hang up my outfit, i have to shove whoever's clothes to the side or hang them from the one hook on the door leading to the bathroom. that's where the owner wants you to hang your wet towel but i hang my clothes there.
getting ready for bed, i go in the shared bath and a bag of hair curlers and those stick pin things was sitting on the toilet tank. grandma was staying in one of the bedrooms and left all her personal items in the tiny shared bath. when i got up in the morning, grandma's dentures (upper and lower) were in a big ultrasonic cleaner sitting on the toilet. cord was strung across the sink and plugged into the outlet that's part of the mirror. her shower cap was hanging from a hook in the shower and she'd rinsed out a few personal items and had them drying on half the shower rod. really? really?
too funny to be mad. i unplugged the denture cleaner and put it on the floor and shoved her things aside. honestly, i am calling her grandma but i don't know if she was a paying guest or what. she knew i was staying there because she knocked on the door while i was using the bathroom.
next time (if ever) i stay there, i'm taking pictures as evidence to share with you.
point being - you can't know how your guests are going to behave in a shared bath..
Our house was a B&B before we bought it. If I had never stayed at one before, I wouldn't have after we bought the house.
3 bedrooms, 1 teeny bathroom. (Gomez and i could not fit in there at the same time.) They had a nice ladder outside the door where they hung the towels and a basket to throw them in, but nope, not for me.
The owners had converted the shed loft into their space, when they had guests, so all their clothes were in one of the guest rooms. (That loft was the best room in the house, albeit freezing cold in the winter. We installed a gas fireplace.)

personally, i really want my own bathroom. i share a house with four other people. there are two bathrooms here. so many times i get up in the night and the bathroom on the second floor is occupied. i go downstairs and that bathroom is also occupied. ugh.
now ....... as a guest staying in a b&b, here's my latest experience. i went up to a wake/funeral recently and decided to stay in the area b&b because it has such a low price with breakfast, safety and a nice lady. but there is one bathroom for three guest rooms and all the family clothes and belongings are in the bureaus and closets. wanting to hang up my outfit, i have to shove whoever's clothes to the side or hang them from the one hook on the door leading to the bathroom. that's where the owner wants you to hang your wet towel but i hang my clothes there.
getting ready for bed, i go in the shared bath and a bag of hair curlers and those stick pin things was sitting on the toilet tank. grandma was staying in one of the bedrooms and left all her personal items in the tiny shared bath. when i got up in the morning, grandma's dentures (upper and lower) were in a big ultrasonic cleaner sitting on the toilet. cord was strung across the sink and plugged into the outlet that's part of the mirror. her shower cap was hanging from a hook in the shower and she'd rinsed out a few personal items and had them drying on half the shower rod. really? really?
too funny to be mad. i unplugged the denture cleaner and put it on the floor and shoved her things aside. honestly, i am calling her grandma but i don't know if she was a paying guest or what. she knew i was staying there because she knocked on the door while i was using the bathroom.
next time (if ever) i stay there, i'm taking pictures as evidence to share with you.
point being - you can't know how your guests are going to behave in a shared bath..
seashanty said:
point being - you can't know how your guests are going to behave in a shared bath.
This sounds more like an Air than what I expect at a B&B even with shared.
My bathrooms are well appointed and there are storage areas available to guests, but we have specifically put up places for them to leave their towels in their room. We leave one hand towel in the bathroom and it is changed frequently.
Very few times have guests actually left things in the bathroom. I could probably count on my hands the amount of times in all our years. When it happens we either clear and area for it where it won't interfere with the enjoyment of others or we return it to the room, carefully.
But 99% of the time, the bathroom is clean and free and devoid of 3rd party items. When we walk by, we wipe down and return things to their freshest. We have had one or two times where a guest has used the toilet for too long, but really for 99% of the time, the guests seem to be very conscientious of others. In fact, I think the last time I had to actually say something to guests were two girls who thought that it was acceptable to use the bathroom on another floor, which was shared by two other rooms. As situation that won't be possible in a few days (in any case). We simply explained that it was private to those rooms, while this one is private to their room and the other room and it's acceptable to use in an emergency but not for prolonged periods, like a shower.
Seems to work. But it could just be our niche and the cultural background of our guests as well.

seashanty said:
point being - you can't know how your guests are going to behave in a shared bath.
My bathrooms are well appointed and there are storage areas available to guests, but we have specifically put up places for them to leave their towels in their room. We leave one hand towel in the bathroom and it is changed frequently.
Very few times have guests actually left things in the bathroom. I could probably count on my hands the amount of times in all our years. When it happens we either clear and area for it where it won't interfere with the enjoyment of others or we return it to the room, carefully.
But 99% of the time, the bathroom is clean and free and devoid of 3rd party items. When we walk by, we wipe down and return things to their freshest. We have had one or two times where a guest has used the toilet for too long, but really for 99% of the time, the guests seem to be very conscientious of others. In fact, I think the last time I had to actually say something to guests were two girls who thought that it was acceptable to use the bathroom on another floor, which was shared by two other rooms. As situation that won't be possible in a few days (in any case). We simply explained that it was private to those rooms, while this one is private to their room and the other room and it's acceptable to use in an emergency but not for prolonged periods, like a shower.
Seems to work. But it could just be our niche and the cultural background of our guests as well.
We have a list of things we'd like in our new house. The one we are both adamant about is a second bathroom. And that's just for the 2 of us. We've found, in our declining years, that neither of us wants to/can wait in line.
Right now we have one bathroom for us. Of course we could use any bathroom in the inn but we never think of that! It's like that side of the house is off limits.

seashanty said:
We have a list of things we'd like in our new house. The one we are both adamant about is a second bathroom. And that's just for the 2 of us. We've found, in our declining years, that neither of us wants to/can wait in line.
Right now we have one bathroom for us. Of course we could use any bathroom in the inn but we never think of that! It's like that side of the house is off limits.
It's not unusual. We think of the guest rooms as off-limits as well. I wouldn't think of leaving my personal items in a guest room, never mind use their toilet. But then, as someone on here points out, I also thinking that taking the box of tissues with you, without asking, is stealing, so my personal view of the world has some pretty high boundaries.

eeww.

seashanty said:
It's not unusual. We think of the guest rooms as off-limits as well. I wouldn't think of leaving my personal items in a guest room, never mind use their toilet. But then, as someone on here points out, I also thinking that taking the box of tissues with you, without asking, is stealing, so my personal view of the world has some pretty high boundaries.
Jon Sable said:
and sodas, they are stealing too.
I have a sibling pair in one room here right now, took me an hour to freshen the room, I am not happy. Where is that grumpy cat photo? We rarely get people who are not kind. he arrived later on a Harley, and Dad is paying for both rooms, when they came back in I stopped in the foyer to speak to them face to face - so he knows this is not a hotel dude.

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
I have a sibling pair in one room here right now, took me an hour to freshen the room, I am not happy. Where is that grumpy cat photo? We rarely get people who are not kind. he arrived later on a Harley, and Dad is paying for both rooms, when they came back in I stopped in the foyer to speak to them face to face - so he knows this is not a hotel dude.
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Kids don't care. They are traveling alone? Or is Dad with them?

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
An hour? To freshen? Yikes!

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We've had them walk out the door, leaving their room door wide open, soaking towels on the beds and wood floors, electronics and cash everywhere. Suitcases dumped on the floor, trash everywhere but the can.
Then again, some kids (teenagers) are nice & tidy. Unlike their parents, who embarrass them.

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Morticia said:
cry_smile.gif
I didn't even vacuum, that tells you something...

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We've had them walk out the door, leaving their room door wide open, soaking towels on the beds and wood floors, electronics and cash everywhere. Suitcases dumped on the floor, trash everywhere but the can.
Then again, some kids (teenagers) are nice & tidy. Unlike their parents, who embarrass them.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
and then some... but you are pretty spot on with that.

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
and then some... but you are pretty spot on with that.
Like the parents I mentioned - curtains pulled down and trampled underfoot. Bags and tags and wrappers thrown on the floor. Cookies crumbled into the carpet. Coffee spilled.

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.
You said Dad paid for the room. The implication was clear.
You tend to pick on me.

seashanty said:
yes, this is a lady who decided her home with the empty bedrooms should be a b&b.
she's very nice and lives on site with her husband, it's been a licensed b&b for years -- but it is very, very basic and yes a lot like an air --- with all the personal items around. i left quite early without seeing her. she left 2 muffins on the table for me since she knew i was leaving early. but i was trying to think what i could/should say about my fellow guest.
Jon Sable said:
seashanty said:

seashanty said:
Jon Sable said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.
You tend to pick on me.
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Jon Sable said:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.
You tend to pick on me.
Actually I was not picking. I said "not kids-siblings-adults" how was that picking? And actually just yesterday I was helping you to cut n paste to the forum.
I only answered the question you posed, you said "Kids don't care. They are traveling alone? Or is Dad with them?"
I answered with:
Not kids
Siblings.
Adults.

seashanty said:
yes, this is a lady who decided her home with the empty bedrooms should be a b&b.
she's very nice and lives on site with her husband, it's been a licensed b&b for years -- but it is very, very basic and yes a lot like an air --- with all the personal items around. i left quite early without seeing her. she left 2 muffins on the table for me since she knew i was leaving early. but i was trying to think what i could/should say about my fellow guest.
Jon Sable said:
seashanty said:
The times I have had people stay longer than a night or two at weekly rate (which was there IS a possibility of the other room being rented, I always told them if someone else was coming in and they took their stuff back to their area in the morning before they left for the day. But ALWAYS they asked if it was OK to leave their stuff in the bathroom before they left it there in the first place.
My lady of the fridge & nuker just back to my are. She has a camper now and will be working about 35 - 40 miles from us. She is already looking forward to seeing us - and same here. She was one of the most considerate and thoughtful guests we ever had.

It wouldn't bother me in the least. I would have said it would be a deal breaker for DH, but recently we stayed at an old lodge with only two baths and two separate showers for the entire floor. He loved the lodge and wants to stay again. One of the few places he'd like to return to ( we usually always stay somewhere we've never stayed before ). But normally no private bath means no stay for us. Just too easy to find 'somewhere else'. One B&B in a nearby town had two rooms with the shared bath in between. Two out of four rooms. A hotel reopened. The B&B closed..
I agree. I have no problem sharing a bath. After all, that is what you doing at work, at the store, the gym, and other places...
Sorry undersea..it is not the same thing. We want our privacy in our own bathroom. Do NOT want to walk down the hall in the middle of the night etc etc. NO SHARED BATHS!
EmptyNest said:
Sorry undersea..it is not the same thing. We want our privacy in our own bathroom. Do NOT want to walk down the hall in the middle of the night etc etc. NO SHARED BATHS!
You bring up a second point. A shared bath is not the same as a down the hall bath. Though people reading our website get confused.
We do have one down the hall bath but it is not shared. And we charge less for that room.
The property we had been looking at had a couple bathrooms outside a bedroom. But a little clever addition of a wall/door in the hallway could isolate the bedroom AND bathroom behind one door and create an en suite bath.
undersea said:
The property we had been looking at had a couple bathrooms outside a bedroom. But a little clever addition of a wall/door in the hallway could isolate the bedroom AND bathroom behind one door and create an en suite bath.
If it's easy to make a suite, do it. It is worth it to your guest.
Absolutely. Sometimes a new hallway wall&door (maybe $1000) could do this. Depends on location and architecture of the bed/bath doors and hallway. May need to ensure door opens into bed/bathroom, for example.
Also noticed one place, that by adding a hallway door/wall, could take two small rooms and a bath in the hall, and making it into a "suite" instead of a room. That alone could bring higher price ("suite" usually rents higher than "room").
Lot cheaper than spending $15,000 and shrinking a bedroom to add a tiny bath en suite.
I had 3 upstairs bedrooms in my main house. Two of them had en suite baths. The third room had an adjoining door with one of the rooms and there is a hall bath. So, the guest room with adjoining room was either offered as a room, or as a 2 room suite with the bonus of a second private, but detached bath. That suite was very popular here. My second house had a 2 room suite where the living room had a sleep sofa. There was a door between the living room and bedroom for privacy and you could enter either side of that suite. Also popular.
You can get pretty creative sometimes...

It wouldn't bother me in the least. I would have said it would be a deal breaker for DH, but recently we stayed at an old lodge with only two baths and two separate showers for the entire floor. He loved the lodge and wants to stay again. One of the few places he'd like to return to ( we usually always stay somewhere we've never stayed before ). But normally no private bath means no stay for us. Just too easy to find 'somewhere else'. One B&B in a nearby town had two rooms with the shared bath in between. Two out of four rooms. A hotel reopened. The B&B closed..
I agree. I have no problem sharing a bath. After all, that is what you doing at work, at the store, the gym, and other places...
EmptyNest said:
You bring up a second point. A shared bath is not the same as a down the hall bath. Though people reading our website get confused.
We do have one down the hall bath but it is not shared. And we charge less for that room.
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
That's a shared bath. Everyone knows that. And they all mention it on ta, even if they weren't in that room. "Make sure you don't get the room with the shared bath."
Even guests in that room who never shared the bath with anyone say it's a shared bath.
Yes, this is sarcasm. It's annoying to no end to deal with this every year. But the room makes money so it stays online.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
EmptyNest said:
That's a shared bath. Everyone knows that. And they all mention it on ta, even if they weren't in that room. "Make sure you don't get the room with the shared bath."
Even guests in that room who never shared the bath with anyone say it's a shared bath.
Yes, this is sarcasm. It's annoying to no end to deal with this every year. But the room makes money so it stays online.
I know. frustrating. And don't tell anyone, but sometimes, people who shouldn't, use it.
TheBeachHouse said:
I know. frustrating. And don't tell anyone, but sometimes, people who shouldn't, use it.
We lock the door whenever anyone is in the house. Got sick of cleaning that bathroom when the room wasn't rented.
But, right, it doesn't stop anyone if the guest leaves the door unlocked, especially because the sign on the door days Private. Everyone and their uncle tries to open that door.
We've thought about putting a sign by the toilet that states: this is not a shared bathroom; don't piss, just get off the pot.
hahahahaha...about the sign. We kept our upstairs hall bath that was the second bath for a possible suite LOCKED all the time. Guests of that room had a key which was the same as their door key. People are so bold...

We had no problem in the past renting shared baths at B&Bs. Those days are gone. We also had no problem with a detached, but private, bath. Those days are gone also.
Maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting more creature comforts. :)
However, there's probably still a demographic out there that wouldn't mind a shared bath IF it was kept meticulously clean and there were other wonderful draws for a property..
Samster said:
We had no problem in the past renting shared baths at B&Bs. Those days are gone. We also had no problem with a detached, but private, bath. Those days are gone also.
Maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting more creature comforts. :)
I am, also thinking being the only detached bath kinda makes you feel awkward like everyone knows when you go in and out of your room, like getting up in the middle of a show and walked to the restroom - you know everyone sees you...vs a bunch of people using an outside bathroom.
Creature comforts aside, people have issues. I mean physical and bodily, and for that reason, some just need to have a private in-room bathroom.
I remember one place we stayed that had a bathroom door at the end of the hall (yes previously on this forum too) and DH was petrified to go in and make any sort of noise as it would carry down the hallway, and nearly ended up with a bowel obstruction over it. Yes, JB is being funny again.
shades_smile.gif

Every single guest we have demands a private bath. Really. No one wants a shared, no one is willing to endure a shared to stay here. But, having said that, we aren't overlooking the Giant's Causeway or something. If you had touristy stuff then people would make do. ('scuse the pun)
I agree, timing is part of the need for "creature comforts". The elder here has to get up during the night...sometimes more than once.

Back