Shared Bath - your experience?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had no problem in the past renting shared baths at B&Bs. Those days are gone. We also had no problem with a detached, but private, bath. Those days are gone also.
Maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting more creature comforts. :)
However, there's probably still a demographic out there that wouldn't mind a shared bath IF it was kept meticulously clean and there were other wonderful draws for a property..
Samster said:
We had no problem in the past renting shared baths at B&Bs. Those days are gone. We also had no problem with a detached, but private, bath. Those days are gone also.
Maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting more creature comforts. :)
I am, also thinking being the only detached bath kinda makes you feel awkward like everyone knows when you go in and out of your room, like getting up in the middle of a show and walked to the restroom - you know everyone sees you...vs a bunch of people using an outside bathroom.
Creature comforts aside, people have issues. I mean physical and bodily, and for that reason, some just need to have a private in-room bathroom.
I remember one place we stayed that had a bathroom door at the end of the hall (yes previously on this forum too) and DH was petrified to go in and make any sort of noise as it would carry down the hallway, and nearly ended up with a bowel obstruction over it. Yes, JB is being funny again.
shades_smile.gif

Every single guest we have demands a private bath. Really. No one wants a shared, no one is willing to endure a shared to stay here. But, having said that, we aren't overlooking the Giant's Causeway or something. If you had touristy stuff then people would make do. ('scuse the pun)
Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
I am, also thinking being the only detached bath kinda makes you feel awkward like everyone knows when you go in and out of your room, like getting up in the middle of a show and walked to the restroom - you know everyone sees you...vs a bunch of people using an outside bathroom.
Creature comforts aside, people have issues. I mean physical and bodily, and for that reason, some just need to have a private in-room bathroom.
I remember one place we stayed that had a bathroom door at the end of the hall (yes previously on this forum too) and DH was petrified to go in and make any sort of noise as it would carry down the hallway, and nearly ended up with a bowel obstruction over it. Yes, JB is being funny again.
shades_smile.gif

Every single guest we have demands a private bath. Really. No one wants a shared, no one is willing to endure a shared to stay here. But, having said that, we aren't overlooking the Giant's Causeway or something. If you had touristy stuff then people would make do. ('scuse the pun)
Even at the Giant's Causeway, they all have en suite baths now. They've seen the light. The vast majority of travelers won't stay with a shared bath. On our trip of Northern Ireland & the Republic, everywhere we drove, we saw they added additional signage on their existing sign that said "En Suite Baths". Some of them you could barely squeeze into, but they were private.
I am curious. In the building we are currently looking at, the upstairs is an upscale 3 bed 2 bath apartment.
The second bath is in the hall for 2 bedrooms. I can just move the door and make 1 bedroom have ensuite
The other bedroom wall is wall closet;.one walkin for that room, and one walkin for the room above. So was thinking I could convert the walkin (and half the other walkin) into an ensuite bath. But then the room would have NO closet, and the other room would have a much smaller closet.
I am curious - in your experience - what is the smallest an ensuite bathroom can be and not turn people off?
You don't need a walk in closet for guests. Bathroom as big as you can make it..but if you make it look like a spa say with rain head shower etc..bells and whistles, small could be ok. Gotta have a place to put make up on in front of the mirror..so if you go with pedestal sink make sure a side stand can go beside it. No knees against a wall when on the toilet. Need to be able to at least turn around :)

However, there's probably still a demographic out there that wouldn't mind a shared bath IF it was kept meticulously clean and there were other wonderful draws for a property..
Samster said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
shades_smile.gif

Even at the Giant's Causeway, they all have en suite baths now. They've seen the light. The vast majority of travelers won't stay with a shared bath. On our trip of Northern Ireland & the Republic, everywhere we drove, we saw they added additional signage on their existing sign that said "En Suite Baths". Some of them you could barely squeeze into, but they were private.
I am curious. In the building we are currently looking at, the upstairs is an upscale 3 bed 2 bath apartment.
The second bath is in the hall for 2 bedrooms. I can just move the door and make 1 bedroom have ensuite
The other bedroom wall is wall closet;.one walkin for that room, and one walkin for the room above. So was thinking I could convert the walkin (and half the other walkin) into an ensuite bath. But then the room would have NO closet, and the other room would have a much smaller closet.
I am curious - in your experience - what is the smallest an ensuite bathroom can be and not turn people off?
You don't need a walk in closet for guests. Bathroom as big as you can make it..but if you make it look like a spa say with rain head shower etc..bells and whistles, small could be ok. Gotta have a place to put make up on in front of the mirror..so if you go with pedestal sink make sure a side stand can go beside it. No knees against a wall when on the toilet. Need to be able to at least turn around :)
Thanx

When I look at this from a "start up" angle, there would be some questions about your location that would help me determine whether opening an old style bed and breakfast would be worth it. For example:
  • Is the room shortage expected to last for several years?
  • Are start up costs so low that I could remodel later?
  • Is the ADR for shared accommodations anywhere near the ADR for private accommodations?
  • How will I handle being the last to fill up because of the shared accommodations?
  • Will shared accommodations have heavy competition with low price points from the shared economy?
  • Will "breakfast" actually be a functional brand? Can my rates support what is required to make it one?
Don't know if this would help her decide, but its what popped up off the top.

Samster said:
shades_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Samster said:
shades_smile.gif

Closet can be small or an armoire. Whatever size the bathroom - lights, outlets - lots of both. Good lighting at the mirror for make-up. Place to put make-up/shaving kit/etc.
I took half of a bedroom I used as my storage room to create the private bathroom. The dividing wall in the closet was removed to make the passage into the bathroom with closet on each side of the passage (one side is the space behind the mantles and the other side was hanging area). Mantle side is now guest closet with extra blankets on the shelf and a door on it and the other side is open and holds the robes, hair dryer, pack n play, and extra towels on the shelf. There is a soft light in the "pass-through" with a switch on the bedroom side, light with dimmer switch over the claw-foot tub (moved from original bathroom and replaced with a 60 inch shower), 3-light bar over the sink mirror, and a 170 watt light in the shower stall. Plus there is a ceiling light with full light, exhaust fan, or nightlight.
We have lots of lights and outlets in the other bathroom also.

Back