To Fight, or Respond

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I don't know your inn, I can't see the review. Did he rate ANYTHING?
Yes, he has a right to review but he can't rate the location, sleep quality, rooms, or cleanliness and if he has, you have a right to have it removed from T/A.
As to responding, I think you should take to it as a rational person would think:
Unfortunately the dates (six months in advance), which should have been marked out, were not. We contacted the guest promptly and apologized only to be met with some extremely strong feelings. We are sorry that this person felt so wronged..
Jon, I sent you a message with my inn info. I like your response.
I read the review and I think that the reply I posted should do the job. You can play with a little, but I think that most people will read into also how he treated you.
You may want to consider changing "strong feelings" with "harsh feelings" because more people will read in the word "words" instead of "feelings" and understand how nasty he was to you.
But don't sweat it. You will get to tell your side of it for a long while to your guests who will laugh it off.
BTW, is his quote accurate? If not, you may want to ask T/A to remove for misquoting you.
No. I was pleasant to the end, when I discontinued the call. I was a 911 operator for many years before this, and am able to shelf my personal feelings when dealing with emotional people on the phone. My quote was "Good luck with your search for lodging for your family. Have a good day." And as I took the phone away from my ear to hang up, I heard the lovely response from him. I wasn't sarcastic, but at the end, I wasn't putting a lot of heart into it either. I sincerely tried to help him with other lodging, looking up availability for other B&Bs and even directing him to condos that could accommodate 8 adults in one condo, therefore saving him A LOT of money.

I don't want to fight TA. I'm too tired and too burned out and too busy right now to let them get to me. I'll post the response later today - a shortened version of mine, but I'll put a little of yours in there too.
Then go with something like this:
Unfortunately the dates (six months in advance), which should have been marked out, were not. We contacted the guest promptly, apologized and spent some time verifying availability at alternative accommodations with the guest, only to be met with some extremely harsh feelings. We are sorry that this person felt so wronged, but we did our best to help in a tough situation.

I spoke with TA, and as expected, it does not fit the guidelines for removal. He had an interaction with the establishment - and that's pretty much all it takes. I think I want my response to be directed at the general public, or prospective guests...correct? I know that I can remain professional if directing it at him, but that is not the route I want to go, is it? All my other responses are directed to the guest that reviewed, but using some marketing pizazz to make it sound good. Do I keep with that trend, and write to him? Or remove myself completely and direct to the public?.
BananaE29 said:
I spoke with TA, and as expected, it does not fit the guidelines for removal. He had an interaction with the establishment - and that's pretty much all it takes. I think I want my response to be directed at the general public, or prospective guests...correct? I know that I can remain professional if directing it at him, but that is not the route I want to go, is it? All my other responses are directed to the guest that reviewed, but using some marketing pizazz to make it sound good. Do I keep with that trend, and write to him? Or remove myself completely and direct to the public?
Direct your response to the readers.
And make sure the rooms are offline.
You can say something in the response to the guest along the lines of, "as I explained in our lengthy phone call... Where I advised you of several other places to stay... And apologize for being unable to confirm the availability of the rooms."
Say that all reservations that have been confirmed by you are honored. You can certainly say the reservation process was not completed.
You don't have to say you're going on vacation in your response. Just say there was a prior commitment and the calendar was not up to date "at that moment."

Yes, he has a right to review but he can't rate the location, sleep quality, rooms, or cleanliness and if he has, you have a right to have it removed from T/A.
As to responding, I think you should take to it as a rational person would think:
Unfortunately the dates (six months in advance), which should have been marked out, were not. We contacted the guest promptly and apologized only to be met with some extremely strong feelings. We are sorry that this person felt so wronged..
I read the review and I think that the reply I posted should do the job. You can play with a little, but I think that most people will read into also how he treated you.
You may want to consider changing "strong feelings" with "harsh feelings" because more people will read in the word "words" instead of "feelings" and understand how nasty he was to you.
But don't sweat it. You will get to tell your side of it for a long while to your guests who will laugh it off.
BTW, is his quote accurate? If not, you may want to ask T/A to remove for misquoting you.
No. I was pleasant to the end, when I discontinued the call. I was a 911 operator for many years before this, and am able to shelf my personal feelings when dealing with emotional people on the phone. My quote was "Good luck with your search for lodging for your family. Have a good day." And as I took the phone away from my ear to hang up, I heard the lovely response from him. I wasn't sarcastic, but at the end, I wasn't putting a lot of heart into it either. I sincerely tried to help him with other lodging, looking up availability for other B&Bs and even directing him to condos that could accommodate 8 adults in one condo, therefore saving him A LOT of money.

I don't want to fight TA. I'm too tired and too burned out and too busy right now to let them get to me. I'll post the response later today - a shortened version of mine, but I'll put a little of yours in there too.
I would certainly mention that you did research for him and found him alternate accommodations that benefited his family situation!
(And, if you can, edit the review response you posted here as it's searchable.)
I'd leave out the last part of your response because it's irrelevant to the situation and makes it sound like reservations in the future are subject to change.
Replace that with how you helped not that you're sure they won't have problems... That sounds like you did say what he says you said. Just saying...

Then go with something like this:
Unfortunately the dates (six months in advance), which should have been marked out, were not. We contacted the guest promptly, apologized and spent some time verifying availability at alternative accommodations with the guest, only to be met with some extremely harsh feelings. We are sorry that this person felt so wronged, but we did our best to help in a tough situation.
Harsh words was a better option. Like you said, "words" will tell people much more about how the guest acted than "feelings" does.

This would be my response, but I wasn't chewed out, so it would be diff if it were me possibly:
"This guest never had a confirmed reservation at our inn. Due to his verbal abuse we do not regret not accepting his booking."

This would be my response, but I wasn't chewed out, so it would be diff if it were me possibly:
"This guest never had a confirmed reservation at our inn. Due to his verbal abuse we do not regret not accepting his booking.".
Joey Bloggs said:
"This guest never had a confirmed reservation at our inn. Due to his verbal abuse we do not regret not accepting his booking."
I like this.

"This guest never had a confirmed reservation at our inn. Due to his verbal abuse we do not regret not accepting his booking.".
Oh my gosh...I like that! I don't need to specify our policies, they're very clear to any idjit that takes the time to read them. I really like it, but I'm afraid it might be too harsh?
Somehow I'm going to combine yours, mine, and Jon's!

Here's the final cut and submitted:

This guest never had a confirmed reservation at our inn. He was contacted within 24 hours of receiving his reservation request and advised we were unable to accept it. Due to the verbal abuse and strong language inflicted upon us, we have no regrets about not accepting the reservation.
Please take the time to look at a few of our other reviews and know that we pride ourselves on providing WONDERFUL customer service. We look forward to ensuring that you enjoy your time at our inn and on our beautiful island.
Thank you all so much for your input and support.
heart.gif
Now back to more positivity!

This guest never had a confirmed reservation at our inn. He was contacted within 24 hours of receiving his reservation request and advised we were unable to accept it. Due to the verbal abuse and strong language inflicted upon us, we have no regrets about not accepting the reservation.
Please take the time to look at a few of our other reviews and know that we pride ourselves on providing WONDERFUL customer service. We look forward to ensuring that you enjoy your time at our inn and on our beautiful island.
heart.gif
Now back to more positivity!.
BananaE29 said:

heart.gif
Perfect.

heart.gif
BananaE29 said:

heart.gif
Well done!

B'nana, SORRY! Glad you are not wound up with emotion over it, it makes it easier to state your response clearly.
I personally like the way SS described the reason for not accepting the reservation request. And I like the words VERBAL ABUSE to describe his actions during your conversation.
Edited: Guess I am too late!

heart.gif
BananaE29 said:

heart.gif
Agreed. This says it best!

heart.gif
Great response Banana...it wraps it up and puts the entire episode in perspective. There should be no doubt in anyones mind that this jerk was just shooting off his mouth.

Well done Banana! Anyone reading it will know that he's the jerk. I just don't understand how people choose to go through life so ugly.

heart.gif
Firm, clear about the abuse, and followed by a confident statement about your business.
JUST GREAT! best of all- you'll feel better having called a spade a spade.. and some of your future guests will go out of their way to confirm to you what wonderful customer service you provide.

Nice job on the reply. Two years ago we had this same thing happen - a reservation was made 9 months before the time of the PAII Conf - we didn't think we could go so we hadn't blocked it out. However, family offered to take the kids so a couple months out I called the guest and explained that we now had an event out of town and that we were hoping he was able to come a different weekend. I offered him his second night free if he could change the date -- he was happy to, I got to go to the conference and everything worked out fine. I do believe offering him the discount showed him I was sorry for the change I WAS MAKING and it avoided any problems. Maybe something to think -- free upgrade, discount, dinner on you … save the trouble.

Nice job on the reply. Two years ago we had this same thing happen - a reservation was made 9 months before the time of the PAII Conf - we didn't think we could go so we hadn't blocked it out. However, family offered to take the kids so a couple months out I called the guest and explained that we now had an event out of town and that we were hoping he was able to come a different weekend. I offered him his second night free if he could change the date -- he was happy to, I got to go to the conference and everything worked out fine. I do believe offering him the discount showed him I was sorry for the change I WAS MAKING and it avoided any problems. Maybe something to think -- free upgrade, discount, dinner on you … save the trouble..
Her situation was entirely different than yours. So I don't think your solution would work. The guy was a total ass!

Nice job on the reply. Two years ago we had this same thing happen - a reservation was made 9 months before the time of the PAII Conf - we didn't think we could go so we hadn't blocked it out. However, family offered to take the kids so a couple months out I called the guest and explained that we now had an event out of town and that we were hoping he was able to come a different weekend. I offered him his second night free if he could change the date -- he was happy to, I got to go to the conference and everything worked out fine. I do believe offering him the discount showed him I was sorry for the change I WAS MAKING and it avoided any problems. Maybe something to think -- free upgrade, discount, dinner on you … save the trouble..
Her situation was entirely different than yours. So I don't think your solution would work. The guy was a total ass!
EmptyNest said:
Yes, MtnKeeper's happy situation may have been completely different if the guest had NOT been amenable to moving the date, or if the guest had been the guy who attacked Banana!
Banana has discussed in the past how it's harder for her, as a single woman innkeeper. It's so unfair, but if she'd had a man there to handle this guy, the guy might have been less abusive.
Hate to imagine what that guy must be like behind the closed doors of his home
angry_smile.gif

Situation different on several accounts. His date was set (special event here), He made a reservation request - never confirmed - and was advised within 24 hours of non-availability. I am happy to do extra things for guests for situations that I've screwed up - they are always surprised and pleased, and that makes me happy :) But this one...nope...a complete ass. So, so, SO glad I didn't take the booking.

Situation different on several accounts. His date was set (special event here), He made a reservation request - never confirmed - and was advised within 24 hours of non-availability. I am happy to do extra things for guests for situations that I've screwed up - they are always surprised and pleased, and that makes me happy :) But this one...nope...a complete ass. So, so, SO glad I didn't take the booking.
BananaE29 said:
There was no reservation. He has not confirmation. it is your right to confirm or deny a booking at any time, your prerogative.
I certainly would not upgrade or give a free dinner to someone because I could not accommodate them. There was NO deal.

Back