To Fight, or Respond

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a happier note... I gave your info to a guest here whose kid is in school in your town. Nice people.

Nice job on the reply. Two years ago we had this same thing happen - a reservation was made 9 months before the time of the PAII Conf - we didn't think we could go so we hadn't blocked it out. However, family offered to take the kids so a couple months out I called the guest and explained that we now had an event out of town and that we were hoping he was able to come a different weekend. I offered him his second night free if he could change the date -- he was happy to, I got to go to the conference and everything worked out fine. I do believe offering him the discount showed him I was sorry for the change I WAS MAKING and it avoided any problems. Maybe something to think -- free upgrade, discount, dinner on you … save the trouble..
Situation different on several accounts. His date was set (special event here), He made a reservation request - never confirmed - and was advised within 24 hours of non-availability. I am happy to do extra things for guests for situations that I've screwed up - they are always surprised and pleased, and that makes me happy :) But this one...nope...a complete ass. So, so, SO glad I didn't take the booking.
Agree with the way you handled it. I was suggesting alternatives for future times when any of us has to change a reservation for a guest if something comes up and the reservation is made way ahead of time (I know most allow bookings 6-12 months out and stuff does come up). Most people are understanding but of course there are the jerks out there. And if my guest had been the least bit rude, I wouldn't have had a problem canceling his reservation - he wouldn't have gotten a thing from me.

Nice job on the reply. Two years ago we had this same thing happen - a reservation was made 9 months before the time of the PAII Conf - we didn't think we could go so we hadn't blocked it out. However, family offered to take the kids so a couple months out I called the guest and explained that we now had an event out of town and that we were hoping he was able to come a different weekend. I offered him his second night free if he could change the date -- he was happy to, I got to go to the conference and everything worked out fine. I do believe offering him the discount showed him I was sorry for the change I WAS MAKING and it avoided any problems. Maybe something to think -- free upgrade, discount, dinner on you … save the trouble..
Situation different on several accounts. His date was set (special event here), He made a reservation request - never confirmed - and was advised within 24 hours of non-availability. I am happy to do extra things for guests for situations that I've screwed up - they are always surprised and pleased, and that makes me happy :) But this one...nope...a complete ass. So, so, SO glad I didn't take the booking.
Agree with the way you handled it. I was suggesting alternatives for future times when any of us has to change a reservation for a guest if something comes up and the reservation is made way ahead of time (I know most allow bookings 6-12 months out and stuff does come up). Most people are understanding but of course there are the jerks out there. And if my guest had been the least bit rude, I wouldn't have had a problem canceling his reservation - he wouldn't have gotten a thing from me.
If I'm hearing this right, you would ask a guest to change their plans because something better came up for you to do. And if the guest was put out or got rude about having to change their confirmed plans you would cancel their reservation.
I get asking someone to change for an emergency, but not because I decided I wanted to go away and that was the time I wanted to go. Not with a confirmed reservation.
But, I might have read that wrong.

TA posted my response, and I've received another review (good one, thank goodness) to drop his from the top. Just a couple more, and he'll be on the second page! Yahoo!

I'm actually quite pleased that my mind has not been obsessed with this ordeal. Usually, I dwell on any personal negative situations that occur with guests, so thankfully, it doesn't happen often. I love 95% of my guests. I'm happy that I was able to deal with it, do the right thing in response, and now I'm moooooooving on :)

Thanks again for all your input. So appreciated!

If I'm hearing this right, you would ask a guest to change their plans because something better came up for you to do. And if the guest was put out or got rude about having to change their confirmed plans you would cancel their reservation.
I get asking someone to change for an emergency, but not because I decided I wanted to go away and that was the time I wanted to go. Not with a confirmed reservation.
Madeleine said:
We had a 40 year reunion of DH's HS class come up with a full house - I contacted EACH of my 3 reservations to apologize for not being here to welcome them BUT we had a sub, so their rooms WERE here. It was a big football game and EVERYTHING was booked- even me! The rooms were the most important on their minds - not us. Years ago before all the hotels were built. It was the beginning of the hotel boom.

did you mean to post the review and your place name here in the forum? i'd remove it just to give it less play online, however that works. up to you, of course.

ps i want some cinnamon rolls with some extra gooey stuff for the top! yumm

did you mean to post the review and your place name here in the forum? i'd remove it just to give it less play online, however that works. up to you, of course..
Where is the inn name? Are you referring to the other post in the "For Sale" ?

did you mean to post the review and your place name here in the forum? i'd remove it just to give it less play online, however that works. up to you, of course..
BananaE29 said:
In the original post you did with what you were putting online for the review. I mentioned it, too, as it's searchable.

BananaE29 said:
In the original post you did with what you were putting online for the review. I mentioned it, too, as it's searchable.
Ah...ok. Thank you both. I will delete that portion of the post.

BananaE29 said:
And...I forgot that I can't do that. Oh well. Nothing here was said that wasn't true and accurate.

When I contacted that one guest, I asked him if it was possible to change his date, I did not just cancel on him. And even after he said he was fine doing so, I offered him the second night free to make up for even asking him at all (which I didn't have to do because he was fine with it.) If he had a special anniversary, etc. that he was booking for, I wouldn't have gone to the conference.
However, if he had started swearing at me and being rude like happened in this situation, then I would have told him that I was canceling his reservation with a full refund. I would not have allowed an ass who felt it was fine to swear at me and be rude keep a reservation that I had to worry about for several months and then be on edge the whole time he was here. Remember, stuff comes up for guests all the time and they try to get out of their reservations for something as stupid as a little rain ruining their hiking plans - so just asking if it was possible to change a date so I could attend a professional conference and getting a ranting, swearing tirade would not endear me to have this guy as a guest. Yes, at that point he would have been cancelled.

I just showed DH your place and he is ready to move. :).
Joey Bloggs said:
I just showed DH your place and he is ready to move. :)

SOLD!
regular_smile.gif

BananaE29 said:
And...I forgot that I can't do that. Oh well. Nothing here was said that wasn't true and accurate.
I sent a note to Swirt last night giving him the location of the post and asking him to delete your inn name. Once someone does a reply it cannot be edited by the poster - or anyone other than Swirt.

Back