Air???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll have to wait until the guest gives the OK for the move. It would sure be easier if they could/would contact you directly.
I've got one like that coming in tomorrow. 3 nights in one room, then have to move to another for 1 night because the first room was previously booked by someone who really wants it. A bit of extra cleaning, but that's the business..
That's what I thought. But if the guest doesn't reply? Then what? Do I let it expire or decline it?
Morticia said:
That's what I thought. But if the guest doesn't reply? Then what? Do I let it expire or decline it?
You have responded so in the eyes of Air, you've held up your end. I wouldn't decline it. I'd leave the ball in the guest's court for now. If somebody else takes the room, the Air guest hesitated and lost. If not, let it lay there.
I was wondering which option is worse for me. Declining or not doing anything. They're pretty clear that you get bumped down the list if you miss the deadline and just responding to a query is not enough.
Anyhoo, all fixed from this end.
Not ever used Air or perused it much. If this was just an inquiry, does it really matter what occurred? If they didn't actually book anything, what happened to cause concern?
undersea said:
Not ever used Air or perused it much. If this was just an inquiry, does it really matter what occurred? If they didn't actually book anything, what happened to cause concern?
It matters if you want to continue to list on the site how you handle ALL interactions. Whether a simple inquiry or a completed reservation.
If you get an inquiry from your own website you can ignore it. Not if you're listing thru some of the OTA's. Some don't care, some do. Air cares because they make money on both ends of the deal. Guest & host.
OTOH, I personally care how I'm treated so I return that care when someone makes an inquiry regardless from where. Yes, even the 30 phone calls with no reservation kinds of inquiries. Perfectly pleasant every time someone called or I called them. Groused once off phone. ;-)
Does your software not produce the ical files you need for Air? Or Do you not have a channel manager for that?
Jon Sable said:
Does your software not produce the ical files you need for Air? Or Do you not have a channel manager for that?
No. I do everything manually. Which is why I got a request for a room that appeared to be open. I thought I had closed everything out, but missed this one. No problem. The guest gets a $70 discount and a better room for my mistake but I also get a booking that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
iCal is a calendar format that is used to import and export availability. Sites like Air can use these (picked up every 6 hours or so) to put availability up to date.
Jon Sable said:
iCal is a calendar format that is used to import and export availability. Sites like Air can use these (picked up every 6 hours or so) to put availability up to date.
My rez system has to support that right? Another nail in their coffin.

With inquiries from Air that get dropped by the inquirer, I will follow up with another response after 24 to 48 hours (assuming I still have availability), and then just let it go if I don't hear anything. If I have pre-approved them to book, or presented a special offer, I believe they have a time-limit in which they have to take action or Air will drop the offer automatically (I think).
And yes, you want your own reservation system to be able to generate iCal links so that you can drive the availability calendar on Air (and many other sites) from your own system, without having to worry about updating multiple calendars.

I think you'll have to wait until the guest gives the OK for the move. It would sure be easier if they could/would contact you directly.
I've got one like that coming in tomorrow. 3 nights in one room, then have to move to another for 1 night because the first room was previously booked by someone who really wants it. A bit of extra cleaning, but that's the business..
Morticia said:
You have responded so in the eyes of Air, you've held up your end. I wouldn't decline it. I'd leave the ball in the guest's court for now. If somebody else takes the room, the Air guest hesitated and lost. If not, let it lay there.
I was wondering which option is worse for me. Declining or not doing anything. They're pretty clear that you get bumped down the list if you miss the deadline and just responding to a query is not enough.
Morticia said:
...you get bumped down the list if you miss the deadline and just responding to a query is not enough.
I would think responding to a query IS enough. Are you sure it's not? I looked for info on that but couldn't find anything specific.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
...you get bumped down the list if you miss the deadline and just responding to a query is not enough.
I would think responding to a query IS enough. Are you sure it's not? I looked for info on that but couldn't find anything specific.
If you have an inquiry and you go to respond to it you'll see a message telling you responding is not enough. You have the timer running on clicking an option of pre approving or declining.
At some point, you can say you need more info but that starts the clock over on the guest's side to give them 24 hours to respond.
At least those are the messages I've been seeing in the couple of weeks I've been doing this.
Morticia said:
At some point, you can say you need more info but that starts the clock over on the guest's side to give them 24 hours to respond.
That's what you need to trigger, I guess. You're needing the guest to give you more info (whether changing rooms part way through is OK), and you need the clock on the guest, not you.
Responding should be enough. You can tell them I said so. I'm sure that will carry a lot of weight with them.

With inquiries from Air that get dropped by the inquirer, I will follow up with another response after 24 to 48 hours (assuming I still have availability), and then just let it go if I don't hear anything. If I have pre-approved them to book, or presented a special offer, I believe they have a time-limit in which they have to take action or Air will drop the offer automatically (I think).
And yes, you want your own reservation system to be able to generate iCal links so that you can drive the availability calendar on Air (and many other sites) from your own system, without having to worry about updating multiple calendars..
Yeah I'm updating multiple calendars. Booking, air and my local group calendar.

And yes, you want your own reservation system to be able to generate iCal links so that you can drive the availability calendar on Air (and many other sites) from your own system, without having to worry about updating multiple calendars..
Do a search in your reservation help section for ical. I didn't know it was in ResKey until Harbor mentioned it here on the forum. It might be in yours and you don't know it.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
It matters if you want to continue to list on the site how you handle ALL interactions. Whether a simple inquiry or a completed reservation.
If you get an inquiry from your own website you can ignore it. Not if you're listing thru some of the OTA's. Some don't care, some do. Air cares because they make money on both ends of the deal. Guest & host.
OTOH, I personally care how I'm treated so I return that care when someone makes an inquiry regardless from where. Yes, even the 30 phone calls with no reservation kinds of inquiries. Perfectly pleasant every time someone called or I called them. Groused once off phone. ;-)
Jon Sable said:
No. I do everything manually. Which is why I got a request for a room that appeared to be open. I thought I had closed everything out, but missed this one. No problem. The guest gets a $70 discount and a better room for my mistake but I also get a booking that wouldn't have happened otherwise.
Jon Sable said:
Yup. I have support for it in both my rez software and my channel allocator. I let the channel allocator do it for me. But it's one of the only parts that is a bit more manual, because of how Air works. When I get a booking, I have to mark my allocation in my channel manager as 0 and put a hold on in my software. Air pushes their updates only every 6 hours.

Do a search in your reservation help section for ical. I didn't know it was in ResKey until Harbor mentioned it here on the forum. It might be in yours and you don't know it.
There is no help section. I asked so I wouldn't keep calling or emailing. No group to join either. Too busy right now to switch.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
Yup. I have support for it in both my rez software and my channel allocator. I let the channel allocator do it for me. But it's one of the only parts that is a bit more manual, because of how Air works. When I get a booking, I have to mark my allocation in my channel manager as 0 and put a hold on in my software. Air pushes their updates only every 6 hours.
No wonder you're hitting your head against the wall. That sounds like a lot of stuff to goof up. We tried Booking.com a few years ago and had to do some of that kind juggling. It seemed like I was walking into danger all the time so we scraped it. It's easier now from what folks say, but we haven't had the desire or need to go back. Now we have the reservation box all to ourselves on Tripadvisor with Trip Connect.

Morticia said:
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
No wonder you're hitting your head against the wall. That sounds like a lot of stuff to goof up. We tried Booking.com a few years ago and had to do some of that kind juggling. It seemed like I was walking into danger all the time so we scraped it. It's easier now from what folks say, but we haven't had the desire or need to go back. Now we have the reservation box all to ourselves on Tripadvisor with Trip Connect.
The only one that we have to do anything manually is Air, everything else is automated, both my bking and my xpda are automated. (Except collected the CC numbers.)

Morticia said:
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
The only one that we have to do anything manually is Air, everything else is automated, both my bking and my xpda are automated. (Except collected the CC numbers.)
One is too many given our track record.
You have to acquire the CC separately?

Morticia said:
undersea said:
Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
One is too many given our track record.
You have to acquire the CC separately?
Well, Air takes the payments, so no worry, but BKing and XPDA both keep the CC information on their site. My channel manager gets it from them, but Reskey doesn't import it. So I have to either import it manually or I just go there and process from the channel manager. It's not really a big deal. The channel manager has so far been pretty great except for Air... but it's Air's fault, it doesn't propagate changes, it does this push every 6 hours... so they are out of sync. The channel manager propagates immediately.

Something I learned as a landlord, that an inquiry or interest means nothing. How many times people wanted me to "hold the room/apartment, I will take it." Most of the time, I never hear from them again. Book and pay for the room. Otherwise, it stays available. (Of course if it is 3 months out, that may be another thing).
If they are nonresponsive, that is not really your problem. They may already by changing plans or location..
An "air" inquiry is totally different than any other inquiry. It's the way the whole process works. To make a reservation, the guest has to do an inquiry first.
Unless you enable 'instant book'. I have done that. You still get an email notifying you that a guest has booked. I then follow up with a return email about the food preferences and if any further questions just txt.....

Morticia said:
As Arks said. If another guest books, oh well, the first inquirers lost out. This had happened here. One time the first guest was surprised then went ahead and booked a different room direct from our site. Since our name is in the description, it isn't difficult to find.

Something I learned as a landlord, that an inquiry or interest means nothing. How many times people wanted me to "hold the room/apartment, I will take it." Most of the time, I never hear from them again. Book and pay for the room. Otherwise, it stays available. (Of course if it is 3 months out, that may be another thing).
If they are nonresponsive, that is not really your problem. They may already by changing plans or location..
An "air" inquiry is totally different than any other inquiry. It's the way the whole process works. To make a reservation, the guest has to do an inquiry first.
Unless you enable 'instant book'. I have done that. You still get an email notifying you that a guest has booked. I then follow up with a return email about the food preferences and if any further questions just txt.....
Is there a link for that? The inquiry tying me or a room, up whether or not someone, does not seem very appealing...
Book or don't book. As questions independently. Don't understand why Air would leave someone who properly responded hanging, unless I am missing something.

Is there a link for that? The inquiry tying me or a room, up whether or not someone, does not seem very appealing...
Book or don't book. As questions independently. Don't understand why Air would leave someone who properly responded hanging, unless I am missing something.
I do not think that just an inquiry ties up the room.
If you "pre-approve" an inquirer to book, that might tie up the room -- not sure on that.
Instant Book is instant book. Hosts can choose to turn that on as an option (if they qualify), and can set some criteria about what kinds of AirBnB users are allowed to Instant Book your listing, but there is otherwise no other screening you can do (where as you can do more screening with inquiries).

It is in the nature of the system. And since they do push instead of pull, the calendars are constantly out of date. I assume it's done because they want you to use them exclusively... which will bankrupt you, because it's a bottom dollar market.

It is in the nature of the system. And since they do push instead of pull, the calendars are constantly out of date. I assume it's done because they want you to use them exclusively... which will bankrupt you, because it's a bottom dollar market.
Jon Sable said:
because it's a bottom dollar market.
Having been on exped ia, price line and other OTAs to book hotel rooms in the past, the main focus seems to be price. And that is usually the subject of their commercial advertising. Not sure if Air is particularly worse or not.

I have my Air account set up to pull availability from ResKey. It does not push data to ResKey -- if I get an Air booking, I will enter it manually into ResKey.... Is yours doing something different?

No, I couldn't use them exclusively. I've listed my least booked room only. Altho, this year there's another room clamoring to be the worst so I might switch rooms.

Jon Sable said:
because it's a bottom dollar market.
Having been on exped ia, price line and other OTAs to book hotel rooms in the past, the main focus seems to be price. And that is usually the subject of their commercial advertising. Not sure if Air is particularly worse or not.
Air is worse, because they don't even care about what you offer or if what you offer is better. Try to look up on Air and see if they highlight that breakfast is included or not? You have to search. You can't see the hidden cleaning fees or other fees. And you should see their price predictor tool, it will make sure you make absolutely no money at all.

Back