Air???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something I learned as a landlord, that an inquiry or interest means nothing. How many times people wanted me to "hold the room/apartment, I will take it." Most of the time, I never hear from them again. Book and pay for the room. Otherwise, it stays available. (Of course if it is 3 months out, that may be another thing).
If they are nonresponsive, that is not really your problem. They may already by changing plans or location..
An "air" inquiry is totally different than any other inquiry. It's the way the whole process works. To make a reservation, the guest has to do an inquiry first.
Unless you enable 'instant book'. I have done that. You still get an email notifying you that a guest has booked. I then follow up with a return email about the food preferences and if any further questions just txt.....
Is there a link for that? The inquiry tying me or a room, up whether or not someone, does not seem very appealing...
Book or don't book. As questions independently. Don't understand why Air would leave someone who properly responded hanging, unless I am missing something.
It is in the nature of the system. And since they do push instead of pull, the calendars are constantly out of date. I assume it's done because they want you to use them exclusively... which will bankrupt you, because it's a bottom dollar market.
I have my Air account set up to pull availability from ResKey. It does not push data to ResKey -- if I get an Air booking, I will enter it manually into ResKey.... Is yours doing something different?
I'm doing it via the channel manager (allocator), which pulls from Reskey.
Here's the problem with Air... they pull availability every 6 hours, so a room that's booked might still appear as available. Not really your fault, but that's what they want.
In my case, because of the channel manager, this is what happens....
1. Every 6 hours Air contacts the channel manager and pulls availability. So your calendar is never more than 6 hours old.
2. Someone books on Air and Air notifies me and makes the room as unavailable. You then need to go to the channel manager and change the availability from 1 to 0 so no one can book the room via the channel manager. Within 6 hours, the channel manager downloads the data from Air and sends it to Reskey
3. Reskey doesn't have a way to handle this, so either you manually put in the Air reservation to prevent a double booking or you annoy John pointing out that there should be a way to mark the room is booked but data pending from the channel manager. Personally, I just put the reservation in and handle when it burps, because it will.
So part of the problem is caused by Air which doesn't know how to push the reservation other than email or via their app. I am assuming they do this on purpose... but I could be wrong. You see when I get a reservation from XPDA or BKing the channel manager gets it immediately, updates availability, sends the data through to Reskey and then updates all the other channels to show the room sold.
The other part is a missing mechanism in Reskey to make a room as "booked but pending data". But that's not really his fault either, it's caused by Air's stupid 6 hour gap.

Something I learned as a landlord, that an inquiry or interest means nothing. How many times people wanted me to "hold the room/apartment, I will take it." Most of the time, I never hear from them again. Book and pay for the room. Otherwise, it stays available. (Of course if it is 3 months out, that may be another thing).
If they are nonresponsive, that is not really your problem. They may already by changing plans or location..
An "air" inquiry is totally different than any other inquiry. It's the way the whole process works. To make a reservation, the guest has to do an inquiry first.
Unless you enable 'instant book'. I have done that. You still get an email notifying you that a guest has booked. I then follow up with a return email about the food preferences and if any further questions just txt.....
Is there a link for that? The inquiry tying me or a room, up whether or not someone, does not seem very appealing...
Book or don't book. As questions independently. Don't understand why Air would leave someone who properly responded hanging, unless I am missing something.
It is in the nature of the system. And since they do push instead of pull, the calendars are constantly out of date. I assume it's done because they want you to use them exclusively... which will bankrupt you, because it's a bottom dollar market.
No, I couldn't use them exclusively. I've listed my least booked room only. Altho, this year there's another room clamoring to be the worst so I might switch rooms.
I wouldn't either, which is why my calendar is always 6 hours off and people on Air need to make requests that you can accept or decline and I can't do instant booking, because their side of the deal... doesn't properly do it's job to interact with real live systems.

Jon Sable said:
because it's a bottom dollar market.
Having been on exped ia, price line and other OTAs to book hotel rooms in the past, the main focus seems to be price. And that is usually the subject of their commercial advertising. Not sure if Air is particularly worse or not.
Air is worse, because they don't even care about what you offer or if what you offer is better. Try to look up on Air and see if they highlight that breakfast is included or not? You have to search. You can't see the hidden cleaning fees or other fees. And you should see their price predictor tool, it will make sure you make absolutely no money at all.
Jon Sable said:
Air is worse, because they don't even care about what you offer or if what you offer is better. Try to look up on Air and see if they highlight that breakfast is included or not? You have to search. You can't see the hidden cleaning fees or other fees. And you should see their price predictor tool, it will make sure you make absolutely no money at all.
The price tool didn't work when I set up. There weren't enough properties listed to make a guess. But I do know that they suggested I look at the rates in my area and go lower until I had some reviews built up. I started high ($10 off the actual room rate) because I didn't want to feel like I was giving the room away. So far have 3 reservations for this month for 7 nights. Maybe all the cheap places are full.

Jon:
I put our smaller B&B room on Air this year, and it has worked out well. We didn't drop the price, and there are many places available at lower prices in our area (we were the first here on air with our vacation rental apt, but now there are about 15 in the county). Actually listing on Air is encouraging me to raise our prices as none of the Air guests seem to bat an eye about the Air bite on top of the listed rate. So far, the air guests are great, happy, and love their ensuite bathrooms and full breakfast in a real dining room. I haven't connected R es k ey with the Air booking calendar. It will take me some hours just to figure it out! I do it manually. It works with our small number of rooms.
One beware though - many more one nighters with Air. We're in a very rural area. For now, its all good.

Jon:
I put our smaller B&B room on Air this year, and it has worked out well. We didn't drop the price, and there are many places available at lower prices in our area (we were the first here on air with our vacation rental apt, but now there are about 15 in the county). Actually listing on Air is encouraging me to raise our prices as none of the Air guests seem to bat an eye about the Air bite on top of the listed rate. So far, the air guests are great, happy, and love their ensuite bathrooms and full breakfast in a real dining room. I haven't connected R es k ey with the Air booking calendar. It will take me some hours just to figure it out! I do it manually. It works with our small number of rooms.
One beware though - many more one nighters with Air. We're in a very rural area. For now, its all good.
We set the same 2 night min for weekends on Air. So far just one mid-week rez.

I have my Air account set up to pull availability from ResKey. It does not push data to ResKey -- if I get an Air booking, I will enter it manually into ResKey.... Is yours doing something different?
I'm doing it via the channel manager (allocator), which pulls from Reskey.
Here's the problem with Air... they pull availability every 6 hours, so a room that's booked might still appear as available. Not really your fault, but that's what they want.
In my case, because of the channel manager, this is what happens....
1. Every 6 hours Air contacts the channel manager and pulls availability. So your calendar is never more than 6 hours old.
2. Someone books on Air and Air notifies me and makes the room as unavailable. You then need to go to the channel manager and change the availability from 1 to 0 so no one can book the room via the channel manager. Within 6 hours, the channel manager downloads the data from Air and sends it to Reskey
3. Reskey doesn't have a way to handle this, so either you manually put in the Air reservation to prevent a double booking or you annoy John pointing out that there should be a way to mark the room is booked but data pending from the channel manager. Personally, I just put the reservation in and handle when it burps, because it will.
So part of the problem is caused by Air which doesn't know how to push the reservation other than email or via their app. I am assuming they do this on purpose... but I could be wrong. You see when I get a reservation from XPDA or BKing the channel manager gets it immediately, updates availability, sends the data through to Reskey and then updates all the other channels to show the room sold.
The other part is a missing mechanism in Reskey to make a room as "booked but pending data". But that's not really his fault either, it's caused by Air's stupid 6 hour gap.
I think Air was designed for use by individuals who just want to rent out their spare room, without any thought to interfacing with other systems, and certainly not to channel managers. They added the iCal capabilities when they realized that many of their hosts might also be listing on VRBO, etc..., so being able to drive all availability calendars from one calendar was a desirable feature -- but it is still designed for individuals, rather than real businesses....

Jon Sable said:
Having been on exped ia, price line and other OTAs to book hotel rooms in the past, the main focus seems to be price. And that is usually the subject of their commercial advertising. Not sure if Air is particularly worse or not.
Jon Sable said:
The price tool didn't work when I set up. There weren't enough properties listed to make a guess. But I do know that they suggested I look at the rates in my area and go lower until I had some reviews built up. I started high ($10 off the actual room rate) because I didn't want to feel like I was giving the room away. So far have 3 reservations for this month for 7 nights. Maybe all the cheap places are full.
They once suggested that I go as low as $25. At that point, I'm not even sure I'm covering the cost of housekeeping the room, sheets, towels, etc. Maybe if I had a dog towel... :)

Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
They once suggested that I go as low as $25. At that point, I'm not even sure I'm covering the cost of housekeeping the room, sheets, towels, etc. Maybe if I had a dog towel... :)
A local dropped by earlier and in conversation said she knew someone looking for interim housing who had been using air to locate places.
She looked hopefully at us and we said we know we're too expensive and there are no kitchen and laundry facilities. Then we recommended somewhere else.
There's a person who has been bouncing around town all summer who knows all the lodging rules and the housing law and demands the lodging tax back when the stay is one day over the limit. Doesn't want housekeeping but then complains the room is dusty. Doesn't want breakfast but clears out the snacks. . Don't need that aggro.

No sign of guest. No communication after rez made. Don't know if they got the information about check in times or what. Not liking the idea of a self check in but we need a break.

Jon Sable said:
Jon Sable said:
A local dropped by earlier and in conversation said she knew someone looking for interim housing who had been using air to locate places.
She looked hopefully at us and we said we know we're too expensive and there are no kitchen and laundry facilities. Then we recommended somewhere else.
There's a person who has been bouncing around town all summer who knows all the lodging rules and the housing law and demands the lodging tax back when the stay is one day over the limit. Doesn't want housekeeping but then complains the room is dusty. Doesn't want breakfast but clears out the snacks. . Don't need that aggro.
I would gladly hand them back the tax, since I don't have to collect it or pay it when it's over the 30s. Except of course, I don't allow stays that long. We don't want anyone getting too comfortable. And I don't care what... a room gets cleaned at least once a week and the sheets changed. That's part of my contract, if you don't like that, don't stay here.
But yeah, I have pushed people towards Air for longer stays at cheaper prices. Once it's for 30 days it's actually legal.
But, you won't catch me staying at one. Everyone basically skims over the review process because they don't want the other party to say negative things about them because it will hurt their ability to reserve in the future. It's not a real review and it's certainly not a place to stay if you care about cleanliness, privacy or even you worry about your back... unless you like beds that are just slightly off the floor, have plywood for your box springs and foam over that.

Jon:
We are actually more expensive on air than our website. So far we love air. One room is listed for a one night, but all the rest is two night stay or more. Air is suggesting we up our price too.

We got an email saying our payment has been sent and we should receive it in 20 days. What???

Jon:
We are actually more expensive on air than our website. So far we love air. One room is listed for a one night, but all the rest is two night stay or more. Air is suggesting we up our price too.
Duff2014 said:
Interesting idea!

We got an email saying our payment has been sent and we should receive it in 20 days. What???.
Did you choose the option of having them mail you a check? You might want to reconsider that.
I have it go directly to my merchant PayPal account. It's put in the on the 2nd day of a 2 day stay. Before the guest ever checks out! I then have PayPal transfer it to my business bank account. I keep NOTHING in my merchant PayPal account and it costs nothing to have one or to transfer the funds the way I just described.

We got an email saying our payment has been sent and we should receive it in 20 days. What???.
Did you choose the option of having them mail you a check? You might want to reconsider that.
I have it go directly to my merchant PayPal account. It's put in the on the 2nd day of a 2 day stay. Before the guest ever checks out! I then have PayPal transfer it to my business bank account. I keep NOTHING in my merchant PayPal account and it costs nothing to have one or to transfer the funds the way I just described.
I may need to open an account with PayPal.

Morticia said:
My payments from Air come as electronic direct deposits into my bank account. They don't go through PayPal. So look into that.

Morticia said:
My payments from Air come as electronic direct deposits into my bank account. They don't go through PayPal. So look into that.
I'm not comfortable giving Air direct access to my main account, so I opted for the middle man, Pay Pal.

Back