Bad TA review as no discount was given

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This kind of thing has happened a few times -- when we were not able to offer something a guest had a reason to expect. It doesn't matter if it is your "fault" or not. What matters is whether your hospitality fell short.
I don't recall being asked in advance for a discount, but at the end of the stay if I felt that the problem had at least a little impact on the guest, I'll take a bit off the final bill. They are usually surprised and say oh it was nothing, but I can tell they appreciate it as it makes them feel a bit more whole on the overall business transaction. If they asked, I'd give it to them ... $10 maybe $20. Agreed? Done. You don't want to prolong dissatisfaction..
We've given $50 toward a next stay for guests who were rattled out of bed at 7 AM by construction NOT at our house. $30 cash when we had no power and could not cook breakfast.
No power is a tricky one. We have no control over the weather and what happens when it knocks the power out and we don't have the resources to buy a whole house generator. NONE of the hotels in town have generators. Not that what someone else does matters.
We've had guests demand a full refund for no power when they weren't inconvenienced at all. They had water, hot and cold, they had heat and they were asleep when the power went out. No good. Full refund. Or a free stay at another time.
The power was out at night while they were asleep? Maybe they had CPAP machines which didn't run -- otherwise, what the heck?

This kind of thing has happened a few times -- when we were not able to offer something a guest had a reason to expect. It doesn't matter if it is your "fault" or not. What matters is whether your hospitality fell short.
I don't recall being asked in advance for a discount, but at the end of the stay if I felt that the problem had at least a little impact on the guest, I'll take a bit off the final bill. They are usually surprised and say oh it was nothing, but I can tell they appreciate it as it makes them feel a bit more whole on the overall business transaction. If they asked, I'd give it to them ... $10 maybe $20. Agreed? Done. You don't want to prolong dissatisfaction..
We've given $50 toward a next stay for guests who were rattled out of bed at 7 AM by construction NOT at our house. $30 cash when we had no power and could not cook breakfast.
No power is a tricky one. We have no control over the weather and what happens when it knocks the power out and we don't have the resources to buy a whole house generator. NONE of the hotels in town have generators. Not that what someone else does matters.
We've had guests demand a full refund for no power when they weren't inconvenienced at all. They had water, hot and cold, they had heat and they were asleep when the power went out. No good. Full refund. Or a free stay at another time.
The power was out at night while they were asleep? Maybe they had CPAP machines which didn't run -- otherwise, what the heck?
Harborfields said:
Nope, no machines. They were just special little snowflakes. They even had a fireplace which not everyone does. The tale of woe they told when they emailed was long and involved.

I would have never offered another stay... I wouldn't want them back. Did they have breakfast? Hot water for shower? Parking? A bed for the night? I would ask them what they thought the food, heat, water were worth and then offer them the difference. If they insisted, I would have likely refunded... but they would be on my DNB and I would tell all the other innkeepers around so they don't get caught by these people.

I would have never offered another stay... I wouldn't want them back. Did they have breakfast? Hot water for shower? Parking? A bed for the night? I would ask them what they thought the food, heat, water were worth and then offer them the difference. If they insisted, I would have likely refunded... but they would be on my DNB and I would tell all the other innkeepers around so they don't get caught by these people.
Charlie said:
We gave each room, including them, $30 to go out for breakfast. Trying to cook for 16 people with no electricity is more than we want to undertake. No coffee. No tea. Just pans on the stove top for cooking. In the dark. Nope. We had lanterns going in the dining room.
We didn't want them back. And I did mention their name to other inns.

Harborfields said:
Nope, no machines. They were just special little snowflakes. They even had a fireplace which not everyone does. The tale of woe they told when they emailed was long and involved.
"Special little smowflakes".
Love it.

Tom I will tell you plain and simple our hospitality sure in the heck did not fall short by any way shape or form. They received good value for their money and they even said so.
Hey they got what they want for their breakfast and more, then they asked for. This was a semi self catering suite .Not a full on service clearly stated in the website.
Some things in life can not be controlled no matter what you do. The cost of this repair is ours not a part of the cost of the room.
PS They want a gourmet breakfast. You pay, you stay.... don't go to the cheapest room and expect all the trimmings.
PSS We did offer them for their next stay a 10% discount to stay in the other suite that offers all the trimming. But deep down I hope they do not come back. Now put this to rest...

Harborfields said:
Love it.
Anon Inn said:
Love it.
Someone else used this awhile ago and I've hung on to it!

if you advertise a certain ammentiy and don't provide it then you may want to offer a discount. i dont know what happened in this case, they saw it one way and you saw it another. it is always that way with customers when they aren't happy. i hope your response was graceful on the review site.

Tom I will tell you plain and simple our hospitality sure in the heck did not fall short by any way shape or form. They received good value for their money and they even said so.
Hey they got what they want for their breakfast and more, then they asked for. This was a semi self catering suite .Not a full on service clearly stated in the website.
Some things in life can not be controlled no matter what you do. The cost of this repair is ours not a part of the cost of the room.
PS They want a gourmet breakfast. You pay, you stay.... don't go to the cheapest room and expect all the trimmings.
PSS We did offer them for their next stay a 10% discount to stay in the other suite that offers all the trimming. But deep down I hope they do not come back. Now put this to rest...
I'm curious. You've stated you have only 2 rooms. Why are you choosing not to do the same breakfast for both? I know that one is semi-self catering, but what is the reason behind that and am wondering if it's a) confusing to guests & b) if guests feel like they're being treated differently, even though it's a different price.

I'm curious. You've stated you have only 2 rooms. Why are you choosing not to do the same breakfast for both? I know that one is semi-self catering, but what is the reason behind that and am wondering if it's a) confusing to guests & b) if guests feel like they're being treated differently, even though it's a different price.
Breakfast Diva said:
in the uk we spell things out pretty clearly, the terms in america can be a bit confusing.

Oh Boy! How this is off track. We offer two kinds of service.
One full one on one and the other is semi self cater. It is set up that way because of the lay out of our home. this is not just a bedroom this is a full large 5oo square feet all their own. with their own entrances. they donot share space with each other . They may meet at the driveway or maybe on the different decks?
The hot tub is ours we do not charge for its uses. the cost of repair is ours not B&Bs. But it has been suggest that we charge for their use. and provide a time they can request a time to use it.?? when they book. even if we did that it does not stop electral board from cashing any time feels like it. The mother board stopped working it was 9 months old. things happen . The other guest was not up set he could not use the hot tub .He saw it when walking our through the first day they arrived and ask to use it the last night of there stay. we expand it had broken and was still waiting for parts.
We have a garden full of flowers does that mean because they can see it on the web site they can pick flowers from it? We grow grapes does that mean because they see the grapes on web site they can pick them off at any time?
We have cherry trees and apple trees and peaches and yes we tell all to go and pick some for their use while here.
It is set up with more privacy for guest .That want that.
Many times I see each B&B is set up differently we are all not the same some have rooms some have rooms and cottages along with rooms. We are built into a mountain As result it is what it is.
As for confusing to guest yes some times. AS some think all B&Bs are the same .Some have the ability to serve breakfast in one area of the home others delivery breakfast . Other take request for breakfast , others drop breakfast by baskets. Other have a common room or rooms for their guest. In this case they have their owns large suites, with their own entrances and their own living space. each suite is laid out differently also. Which you can see at the web site. There you see the service provided. Also what each room offers.
Some owners don't like interacting with guest other like it . We all are very different approaches. Some guests want one on one other don't .Some like a gourmet breakfast other want some thing plain and filling. Some are not as adventurist, as others.
Now as for being treated differently yes every guest comes in our home is treated with respect welcoming arms and good old fashion western hospitality. Good food. But service is different to each suite.It is spelt out very clearly on site on phone call on confirmation. .. But some don't always read and don't ask questions. Some don't listen well also LOL . Now I hope this puts this subject to rest it is done and what came of it is also finished and delta with Ok it is now the wee hours of the morning I am off to bed hopefully for a few hours of sleep . Have a good day ALL.

One full one on one and the other is semi self cater. It is set up that way because of the lay out of our home. this is not just a bedroom this is a full large 5oo square feet all their own. with their own entrances. they donot share space with each other . They may meet at the driveway or maybe on the different decks?
The hot tub is ours we do not charge for its uses. the cost of repair is ours not B&Bs. But it has been suggest that we charge for their use. and provide a time they can request a time to use it.?? when they book. even if we did that it does not stop electral board from cashing any time feels like it. The mother board stopped working it was 9 months old. things happen . The other guest was not up set he could not use the hot tub .He saw it when walking our through the first day they arrived and ask to use it the last night of there stay. we expand it had broken and was still waiting for parts.
We have a garden full of flowers does that mean because they can see it on the web site they can pick flowers from it? We grow grapes does that mean because they see the grapes on web site they can pick them off at any time?
We have cherry trees and apple trees and peaches and yes we tell all to go and pick some for their use while here.
Many times I see each B&B is set up differently we are all not the same some have rooms some have rooms and cottages along with rooms. We are built into a mountain As result it is what it is.
As for confusing to guest yes some times. AS some think all B&Bs are the same .Some have the ability to serve breakfast in one area of the home others delivery breakfast . Other take request for breakfast , others drop breakfast by baskets. Other have a common room or rooms for their guest. In this case they have their owns large suites, with their own entrances and their own living space. each suite is laid out differently also. Which you can see at the web site. There you see the service provided. Also what each room offers.
Some owners don't like interacting with guest other like it . We all are very different approaches. Some guests want one on one other don't .Some like a gourmet breakfast other want some thing plain and filling. Some are not as adventurist, as others.
Now as for being treated differently yes every guest comes in our home is treated with respect welcoming arms and good old fashion western hospitality. Good food. But service is different to each suite.It is spelt out very clearly on site on phone call on confirmation. .. But some don't always read and don't ask questions. Some don't listen well also LOL . Now I hope this puts this subject to rest it is done and what came of it is also finished and delta with Ok it is now the wee hours of the morning I am off to bed hopefully for a few hours of sleep . Have a good day ALL.
Well said.

Wow, seems like I touched on a sensitive button for you. I just wondered why a difference, especially with another innmate here that just had a problem because they advertised a room that didn't have the same breakfast offerings as the others. It's the perception of the guests that's causing a confusion.
We are set up very similar to what you have described. 3 of our 4 rooms are larger than 500 (550-800) sq ft, have separate entrances and may never see the other guests at our place. We deliver breakfast, but it's the same breakfast.
Of course we're all different and we can set up things the way we see fit. If you haven't had other guests mention they wished they got the same breakfast, well, keep on keeping on.
regular_smile.gif
I just found it curious that 2 different innmates were having the same problem.

Wow, seems like I touched on a sensitive button for you. I just wondered why a difference, especially with another innmate here that just had a problem because they advertised a room that didn't have the same breakfast offerings as the others. It's the perception of the guests that's causing a confusion.
We are set up very similar to what you have described. 3 of our 4 rooms are larger than 500 (550-800) sq ft, have separate entrances and may never see the other guests at our place. We deliver breakfast, but it's the same breakfast.
Of course we're all different and we can set up things the way we see fit. If you haven't had other guests mention they wished they got the same breakfast, well, keep on keeping on.
regular_smile.gif
aww it is ok really. Business is my baby and like all babies need mum to keep them safe. It just hard to explain in typing. I am a talking person, words by typing is not my thing really. If I came across harsh I really did not mean it that way. With that being said I will apologize. Really sorry BD
embaressed_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
aww it is ok really. Business is my baby and like all babies need mum to keep them safe. It just hard to explain in typing. I am a talking person, words by typing is not my thing really. If I came across harsh I really did not mean it that way. With that being said I will apologize. Really sorry BD
embaressed_smile.gif

Oh, no apology needed. We're all just doing the best we can!

Wait, the hot tub is your private hot tub, not the B&B's?
It is not an advertised amenity of the B&B, but guests see it when they are there and ask to use it?
Or can guests see it in photos on your website (perhaps it is hard to take a photo without it in the scene, even if not featured) and they just assume that it is available to them, even though it is not mentioned in your text anywhere?
Just trying to understand why guests might think they should be entitled to a discount for a non-working hot tub, if the hot tub is NOT a feature of the inn.
(I don't know your inn, so I don't know your website)

My turn!
Early this week our pool pump stopped working, DH ordered a new pump which came in yesterday afternoon and he started the process to install. Of course the old fittings did not work with the new and he had to rebuild the entire system.

Of course with the pump not working the pool turned green. So now he is working to get the pool ready again. - long process!

Guests check in and I gave them an upgraded room while giving them the quick version that hopefully the pool will be back up tomorrow. They didn't seem too concerned since the hot tub is available. But the guy did have to give a snotty remark about how long it 'should' have taken DH to get it back operational. What!

Copperhead, some people are just like that.
sad_smile.gif
Amazing ... when we are all trying our best.

Copperhead, some people are just like that.
sad_smile.gif
Amazing ... when we are all trying our best..
The first words in my mind were 'so you're a pool expert? wanna lend a hand?'

Luckily my mouth would not let the words escape!

My turn!
Early this week our pool pump stopped working, DH ordered a new pump which came in yesterday afternoon and he started the process to install. Of course the old fittings did not work with the new and he had to rebuild the entire system.

Of course with the pump not working the pool turned green. So now he is working to get the pool ready again. - long process!

Guests check in and I gave them an upgraded room while giving them the quick version that hopefully the pool will be back up tomorrow. They didn't seem too concerned since the hot tub is available. But the guy did have to give a snotty remark about how long it 'should' have taken DH to get it back operational. What!.
its always parts - no matter what breaks, they never have it in stock or if it is more than 2 minutes old they have stopped making it, or its imperil only and they only have metric and so on. Nightmare - I have total respect for those of you who have hot tubs, jet tubs and pools - I know how much it takes in time and money to keep the ruddy things operational!

Back