BLOGS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My take on it, especially if it means less work for YOU as the web guru!
  • Great place for the innkeeper to post specials and things to do in the area;
  • Great place for the innkeeper to keep in touch with guests;
  • Great place for the innkeeper to post PHOTOS of seasons;
  • The list goes on...
As far as how it helps overall, the more pages the website has (and I'm considering my blog as an extension of my website even tho it is not connected), the more chances someone will use the search term the innkeeper has blogged about.
You can SEO your webpages to death and have each page shine as far as a certain term goes, but you can't make the guest use THAT term to find you.
If your innkeepers are sending newsletters, they can direct guests to the content on the blog. If they have FB and/or Twitter (and I'm guessing not), the blog can get out to those subscribers as well.
It's just an easy way for the innkeeper without coding skills to make new content and share it immediately. A webpage may take months to show in searches, a blog is there NOW.
You know these innkeepers well and you know what they will and won't do on their own. BUT, telling them to block out 20 minutes on a Monday morning to blog about something interesting coming up in the next month or so is something they CAN do. And once some guest books and says, 'I saw it on your blog,' they'll get hooked.
Don't know who they heard speak, but Blogger is the one I use because it's easy and free. If you can type, you can blog.
One thing to make sure they understand, tho, is that the blog may be the first thing the guest sees, so it had better be 'polished' and not filled with typos, grammar errors, etc.
If any of them want a 'second opinion' on blogging, feel free to tell them to call or email me. I will happily tell them how much time it takes in a week for me to blog and what's involved..
I am hopeless here. I need Remedial Social Networking 100. I only finally got a cell phone this year; ditto the netbook. If this deal moves forward I will have to learn tons!
Where do I start? Should I just hire someone? I would really like to learn. I really think to blog about the progress would be interesting to follow. When I do a google search on the Inn name and town it pops right up; also when I google inns or b&bs or hotel/ motels for the town. It also lists the dead phone #, which is still available.
This seems like a really good thing, and I would like to capitalize on it. I think I should start with a blog and/or maybe a facebook page? Or should I get a website designed first ? I will be crazy busy getting things busy, and I don't know how much time I can afford to follow postings.
I am Lost, Confused, & reading everything, although it seems you are all speaking in tongues. Will head for a bookshop for a glossary. Again, thanks for all your help.
Doing a new website is like redecorating your house or building a new one. You look thru all these magazines (websites) and you rip out (bookmark) all the pages (websites) you like. Then you have a plan for the designer. 'I want this and this and this.'
The more you do, the less it costs you. If you say, 'Do whatever,' you get 'whatever.' And it costs you!
There is no existing website. Actually has not been open in THREE years. A positive review does show on TA . PO tried to keep it off the web, making the chamber & guides take it off. It does show up both as lodging and as a NRHP property. Several places have similar names in the state ( like "White Pine Lodge"--not the real name). One has the dot com address. Don't know how to get around this--maybe "White Pine Lodge at town, state?" Or "White Pine Lodge and Motel"?
Have thought about writing this experience down. It has been an education. Also, I have been looking at websites; some in the area to see who put them together; others to see which features I like and dislike.
If this goes thru I will join PAII--pay for the $389.00 spiffy aspiring package; hit a bunch of workshops & conferences; & order a boatload of coffee. You have been lots of help--Thanks again
Because you said you 'found' it doing a Google search, I thought you meant there was a website.

• The list goes on...
As far as how it helps overall, the more pages the website has (and I'm considering my blog as an extension of my website even tho it is not connected), the more chances someone will use the search term the innkeeper has blogged about.
You can SEO your webpages to death and have each page shine as far as a certain term goes, but you can't make the guest use THAT term to find you.
If your innkeepers are sending newsletters, they can direct guests to the content on the blog. If they have FB and/or Twitter (and I'm guessing not), the blog can get out to those subscribers as well.
It's just an easy way for the innkeeper without coding skills to make new content and share it immediately. A webpage may take months to show in searches, a blog is there NOW.
You know these innkeepers well and you know what they will and won't do on their own. BUT, telling them to block out 20 minutes on a Monday morning to blog about something interesting coming up in the next month or so is something they CAN do. And once some guest books and says, 'I saw it on your blog,' they'll get hooked.
Don't know who they heard speak, but Blogger is the one I use because it's easy and free. If you can type, you can blog.
One thing to make sure they understand, tho, is that the blog may be the first thing the guest sees, so it had better be 'polished' and not filled with typos, grammar errors, etc.
If any of them want a 'second opinion' on blogging, feel free to tell them to call or email me. I will happily tell them how much time it takes in a week for me to blog and what's involved..
I am hopeless here. I need Remedial Social Networking 100. I only finally got a cell phone this year; ditto the netbook. If this deal moves forward I will have to learn tons!
Where do I start? Should I just hire someone? I would really like to learn. I really think to blog about the progress would be interesting to follow. When I do a google search on the Inn name and town it pops right up; also when I google inns or b&bs or hotel/ motels for the town. It also lists the dead phone #, which is still available.
This seems like a really good thing, and I would like to capitalize on it. I think I should start with a blog and/or maybe a facebook page? Or should I get a website designed first ? I will be crazy busy getting things busy, and I don't know how much time I can afford to follow postings.
I am Lost, Confused, & reading everything, although it seems you are all speaking in tongues. Will head for a bookshop for a glossary. Again, thanks for all your help.
Doing a new website is like redecorating your house or building a new one. You look thru all these magazines (websites) and you rip out (bookmark) all the pages (websites) you like. Then you have a plan for the designer. 'I want this and this and this.'
The more you do, the less it costs you. If you say, 'Do whatever,' you get 'whatever.' And it costs you!
There is no existing website. Actually has not been open in THREE years. A positive review does show on TA . PO tried to keep it off the web, making the chamber & guides take it off. It does show up both as lodging and as a NRHP property. Several places have similar names in the state ( like "White Pine Lodge"--not the real name). One has the dot com address. Don't know how to get around this--maybe "White Pine Lodge at town, state?" Or "White Pine Lodge and Motel"?
Have thought about writing this experience down. It has been an education. Also, I have been looking at websites; some in the area to see who put them together; others to see which features I like and dislike.
If this goes thru I will join PAII--pay for the $389.00 spiffy aspiring package; hit a bunch of workshops & conferences; & order a boatload of coffee. You have been lots of help--Thanks again
Several places have similar names in the state ( like "White Pine Lodge"--not the real name). One has the dot com address.
Just add the 2 letter State abbreviation to the front or the back of the name which will identify you and your State and makes it another domain name dot com.

• The list goes on...
Several places have similar names in the state ( like "White Pine Lodge"--not the real name). One has the dot com address.
Just add the 2 letter State abbreviation to the front or the back of the name which will identify you and your State and makes it another domain name dot com.
She'll have to be sure it doesn't spell anything weird!
Or, like my 2 letter state abbreviation, make it hard to understand what's meant.

• The list goes on...
Or, like my 2 letter state abbreviation, make it hard to understand what's meant.
Definitely will have to look at what it actually spells - remember the 10 worst domain names....... Go TO Ta hoe and Who Re sou rces did not say what they wanted to say with their domain nmes.

• The list goes on...
I must say that when I was an aspiring I really gained more practical information from my forum buddies here. I also attended a full day of aspiring workshops at the PAII meeting (2005, I think--Before Jay--) which I did not think helped nearly as much. I did find it very helpful to be able to meet the vendors and to meet other innkeepers while at that and subsequent B&B meetings. You might wait until you've closed on your inn and then join at the $79 level, then increase your membership level as you decide what PAII offers that is of the most value to you.
Before I started my shop I attended a "Starting a Small Business" workshop/multi-week class. I gained a little, but often wished I had that $600.00 back. It is OK for someone who is clueless, but I started out in library science, and believe in research. This is why I haven't joined PAII yet. I like the idea of the web access of the past seminars and the industry study, but question the $389.00. Sometimes tho I feel like although I am doing my "homework" I am not sure what the "assignment" is, and that is disturbing going in to the "test".

• The list goes on...
I know you said it's not 'White Pine' but take my word for it, you don't want to be alpha-challenged. A good chunk of listings will be alpha and you don't want to be last!
Having the town name if it's a big deal is a great idea. If the lake is better known and a different name, try that. It's a good idea to own several names or variations.
So, 'Alaska White Pine Lodge' beats out 'White Pine Lodge of Alaska.' How about, 'Albuquerque White Pine Lodge.' Or, 'Lake Mead White Pine Lodge.'
Go for the big ticket name first.
Last business was a "V" name--so I know about the alpha thing. This one is much better. Town name is good as it is the lake name. Not the biggest lake or the best known, but it does place the inn to those who know it or are travelling in the area.

• The list goes on...
Definitely will have to look at what it actually spells - remember the 10 worst domain names....... Go TO Ta hoe and Who Re sou rces did not say what they wanted to say with their domain nmes.
Doesn't spell anything weird, but I don't see how this distinguishes me from the others in the same state? Really good things to note--thanks again all.

• The list goes on...
Doesn't spell anything weird, but I don't see how this distinguishes me from the others in the same state? Really good things to note--thanks again all.
What we are saying is adding your State Abbrev to the name chosen for domain name could change what it says. If White Pine dot com is already taken, I could make it White Pine WV dot com but if I lived in Mass to have MA White Pine or White Pine MA dot com (are you a White Pine Mother?) might make it difficult to read.

• The list goes on...
What we are saying is adding your State Abbrev to the name chosen for domain name could change what it says. If White Pine dot com is already taken, I could make it White Pine WV dot com but if I lived in Mass to have MA White Pine or White Pine MA dot com (are you a White Pine Mother?) might make it difficult to read.
My apologies....I am going to 'steal' this thread for a moment so I can share this link with Kathleen.

• The list goes on...
My apologies....I am going to 'steal' this thread for a moment so I can share this link with Kathleen.
Thanks. I had heard of this on our news on the radio - I do not watch TV, cannot stand the jumpping of the screen as the remote flips through.

• The list goes on...
I must say that when I was an aspiring I really gained more practical information from my forum buddies here. I also attended a full day of aspiring workshops at the PAII meeting (2005, I think--Before Jay--) which I did not think helped nearly as much. I did find it very helpful to be able to meet the vendors and to meet other innkeepers while at that and subsequent B&B meetings. You might wait until you've closed on your inn and then join at the $79 level, then increase your membership level as you decide what PAII offers that is of the most value to you.
Before I started my shop I attended a "Starting a Small Business" workshop/multi-week class. I gained a little, but often wished I had that $600.00 back. It is OK for someone who is clueless, but I started out in library science, and believe in research. This is why I haven't joined PAII yet. I like the idea of the web access of the past seminars and the industry study, but question the $389.00. Sometimes tho I feel like although I am doing my "homework" I am not sure what the "assignment" is, and that is disturbing going in to the "test".
I joined PAII as an aspiring and what I got out of it was the forum (which you're getting here for free!) but, with the new online classes, I think it's worth it to join and take the classes. You have the background to do the research, but like you said, you're studying and you don't even know what the class is about.
By taking the classes on PAII, you'll get leads into what to study and why you should. You may end up with more questions but you'll have an idea why those are good questions.
We're 'experts in the field' here and sometimes you need the 'experts in the office' who have a bigger overview to help you move the way you want to.
We here know what we know, but we may not know what you need to know.

i have a blog that is a really nice blend of 'me' and my business. i post everyday ... or try too...
i talk about whatever inspires me... recipes, design, other blogs, my favorite things from the new crate and barrel catalog... i take pictures....its a very happy place. don't talk about my guests or anything. it is in no way 'bed and breakfast' specific. though, you can access the blog through my b&b website.
i have a gift shoppe here too.. so i have giveaways as well.
i blog to give myself a voice. to share what i love. to see what people think about what i love. people comment and it's great. i love it.
has it drasticlly improved my business. i don't know? but it has helped me connect on a different level. meet new people. it does take time, but for me, its worth it..
4 at 44, your blog is not only lovely, it's truly the nicest inn blog I've seen yet. Seriously. And I look at a lot of them.
Yours is not only visually interesting, the topics are great, too, and the writing is effectively compeling. Readers get a great sense both of the professionalism you bring to your inn as well as your artistic nature.
It's all good. Thanks for sharing it with us!

• The list goes on...
I joined PAII as an aspiring and what I got out of it was the forum (which you're getting here for free!) but, with the new online classes, I think it's worth it to join and take the classes. You have the background to do the research, but like you said, you're studying and you don't even know what the class is about.
By taking the classes on PAII, you'll get leads into what to study and why you should. You may end up with more questions but you'll have an idea why those are good questions.
We're 'experts in the field' here and sometimes you need the 'experts in the office' who have a bigger overview to help you move the way you want to.
We here know what we know, but we may not know what you need to know.
Exactly. I know my own strengths and weaknesses, and I think the web classes would be good too. Might say I know what I know, but don't know what I don't know!

• The list goes on...
Yup got that, but if I choose White Pine WV dot com and there were two in WV, I don't see how, at a glance, it would help distinguish which one I am. Putting the state in front costs placement alphabetically. Someone else has one like "historic" then in bold whitepinelodge dot com. That looks kind of neat.

• The list goes on...
Start the blog now... get the timer ticking on it. Age is the one thing you can't buy in relation to websites.
If the place you are buying has a website, then you have to approach cautiously. Sure it probably needs to be re-done. Most designers are impatient and anxious and will rip out all the old pages and put in new shiny pages with new page names... thereby losing all the history for the site. DON't change the file names or locations.
When we are through the inspections and paperwork, I will jump in. Teen nephew says it is not hard, and will help Auntie. He says to use Blogger. Is this a good idea? Again, the place does not have a website, so I will have to research who to use to develop it. Should I start with Facebook first?

• The list goes on...
Yup got that, but if I choose White Pine WV dot com and there were two in WV, I don't see how, at a glance, it would help distinguish which one I am. Putting the state in front costs placement alphabetically. Someone else has one like "historic" then in bold whitepinelodge dot com. That looks kind of neat.
I do not know about your State, but here there cannot be 2 businesses of the same name. You have to register your business with the Secretary of State. There has to be something different and with domain names, which is what we were talking about, there can only be one with that namedotcom. My assoc had a problem a few years ago that if someone left off the s in breakfasts they got a B & B in NY rather than our assoc. When one of our members who had our ultimate domain name closed and let the domain go, we grabbed it and several other domain names that may be entered accidently to ensure no p o r n got there.

• The list goes on...
Start the blog now... get the timer ticking on it. Age is the one thing you can't buy in relation to websites.
If the place you are buying has a website, then you have to approach cautiously. Sure it probably needs to be re-done. Most designers are impatient and anxious and will rip out all the old pages and put in new shiny pages with new page names... thereby losing all the history for the site. DON't change the file names or locations.
When we are through the inspections and paperwork, I will jump in. Teen nephew says it is not hard, and will help Auntie. He says to use Blogger. Is this a good idea? Again, the place does not have a website, so I will have to research who to use to develop it. Should I start with Facebook first?
A blog is easier than Facebook and Blogger is very easy. Why I say a blog is easier may be age-related. WIth a blog you can take your time to write something out and you have the space. FB is limited in characters so it's better to have a place to refer people 'for the rest of the story.'
Basically, with a blog you write, add pix, post. With FB you have to make friends, figure out what apps you want to add, make a fan page because you don't want lodge fans on your personal page. And it's fast. Your fans reply to a post and you'd better reply back NOW.
You could have followers on your blog who post comments you need to manage, but it's usally not as fast as FB. (Mine anyway.)
If you're trying to communicate on FB and you're getting distracted by all the side stuff, it can be a time suck. Easier, I find, to write a blog and then post a quick line on FB directing readers to the details. So, for people who don't want to wade thru every blog post, they can read the synopsis on FB and then read what they want. And a shorter version still can go on Twitter.

• The list goes on...
I do not know about your State, but here there cannot be 2 businesses of the same name. You have to register your business with the Secretary of State. There has to be something different and with domain names, which is what we were talking about, there can only be one with that namedotcom. My assoc had a problem a few years ago that if someone left off the s in breakfasts they got a B & B in NY rather than our assoc. When one of our members who had our ultimate domain name closed and let the domain go, we grabbed it and several other domain names that may be entered accidently to ensure no p o r n got there.
In our state names for businesses are registered on different levels. DBAs are only regisitered on a county level. LLC's have state level registration. No DBA may have a state level registered name. Anyway, the problem here is that the actual names of the businesses are different, but they shortened theirs from "White Pine Lodge Cottages" for their domain. One domain is straight name dot com--which is a site which needs parental controls; another is white-pine dot com. Too confusing. And those typos! Thanks for all the clarifications.

• The list goes on...
Blogger is fine. I do suggest getting a domain or subdomain for it to begin with... rather than trying to do that later. Easier to get those ducks in a row to begin with rather than mess around with it later.
What Morticia said about facebook is true. In addition to that, a blog is a good way to get a lot of fishing hooks in the lake. A facebook page is a way to get one hook in a private pond.

• The list goes on...
There's no reason you can't do both. I agree with swirt and Mort that it's easiest to start with blogger, but then set up a Facebook business page (be sure you do a business page, not an individual page) and then set up an automatic feed from your blogger to facebook. There is a facebook tool for it and there are lots of other independent tools if you just google 'blogger feed to facebook' like this page.

Back