Breakfast - it's all about timing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your experiences are just like ours. Some guests come at 8:30 and talk until 11 to their new best friends. Some can't wait to get on to the vineyards or just hate sitting at a table with people they don't know. Every breakfast is a new experience. Most days are successful some days are disasters. But my life in corporate America was much the same.
If only Thing could deliver breakfast to each bedside on time.

'If only Thing could deliver breakfast to each bedside on time.'
That would be perfect. Mort, get one of those and you'll be all set!

Can i suggest you shift your perspective?
People see you are busy. I never had a complaint - just lots of offers to help which of course I could not accept. Your guests may not feel they are waiting too long.
My guests would come in to the dining area any time between 8 and 10 am. Unless they requested an early breakfast.
The coffee was in two enormous coffee urns so they could help themselves.
I had tent cards and a sign saying what breakfast was. I'd step out and greet them and ask if they wanted what I was making or they could have yogurt and granola type things. (I stopped having all these things out on the buffet table because people would eat (or pack up to go) EVERYTHING. But I welcomed them to make toast if they wanted while they waited. I had two toasters, one on either end of the buffet table, and folks seemed to like to busy themselves with that.
I was surprised when people said they were surprised that I made their breakfast so quickly when I felt s.l.o.w. Like you, it was probably 15-20 minutes from sitting down that I put their breakfast in front of them ... depending and especially if I had lots of guests. Has anyone ever complained that they were waiting a long time?
I had newspapers and local tourist magazines available for them to read ... printouts of the weather ... lists of all manner of things to do in the area. So they could certainly be busy while they waited or talking to other guests or just quiet - relaxing. I always had music playing and there was a cd that was most popular. It was music but had wind chimes and fog horns and sea gulls and boats in the background and people thought it was sounds from outside in the harbor.

People see you are busy. I never had a complaint - just lots of offers to help which of course I could not accept. Your guests may not feel they are waiting too long.
My guests would come in to the dining area any time between 8 and 10 am. Unless they requested an early breakfast.
I had tent cards and a sign saying what breakfast was. I'd step out and greet them and ask if they wanted what I was making or they could have yogurt and granola type things. (I stopped having all these things out on the buffet table because people would eat (or pack up to go) EVERYTHING. But I welcomed them to make toast if they wanted while they waited. I had two toasters, one on either end of the buffet table, and folks seemed to like to busy themselves with that.
I was surprised when people said they were surprised that I made their breakfast so quickly when I felt s.l.o.w. Like you, it was probably 15-20 minutes from sitting down that I put their breakfast in front of them ... depending and especially if I had lots of guests. Has anyone ever complained that they were waiting a long time?
I had newspapers and local tourist magazines available for them to read ... printouts of the weather ... lists of all manner of things to do in the area. So they could certainly be busy while they waited or talking to other guests or just quiet - relaxing. I always had music playing and there was a cd that was most popular. It was music but had wind chimes and fog horns and sea gulls and boats in the background and people thought it was sounds from outside in the harbor..
I started off wanting to take longer so we could do some dishes that take longer.
It could be me thinking it's taking too long, not the guests. But I wanted to know general opinion on guests waiting 20+minutes for the starter.
I've got all the same things you did for reading material plus games on the tables. And me running around asking what everyone is doing that day, do they need directions, ideas, etc.
The help yourself stuff is out on the counter and I'm always refilling the coffee.
I don't recall too many guests saying they had to leave before their food arrived. But that's more on them thinking they were going to run down, sit and immediately have food in front of them. Maybe thinking it was a buffet?

I had newspapers and local tourist magazines available for them to read ... printouts of the weather ... lists of all manner of things to do in the area. So they could certainly be busy while they waited or talking to other guests or just quiet - relaxing. I always had music playing and there was a cd that was most popular. It was music but had wind chimes and fog horns and sea gulls and boats in the background and people thought it was sounds from outside in the harbor..
I started off wanting to take longer so we could do some dishes that take longer.
It could be me thinking it's taking too long, not the guests. But I wanted to know general opinion on guests waiting 20+minutes for the starter.
I've got all the same things you did for reading material plus games on the tables. And me running around asking what everyone is doing that day, do they need directions, ideas, etc.
The help yourself stuff is out on the counter and I'm always refilling the coffee.
I don't recall too many guests saying they had to leave before their food arrived. But that's more on them thinking they were going to run down, sit and immediately have food in front of them. Maybe thinking it was a buffet?
Morticia said:
So 20 minutes before the starter? I thought you meant 20 min between sitting down and main course.

Maybe that is a tad bit long of a wait for 1st course, but you may get Gomez to get a head start on the starter so that it doesn't take quite that long.
Rearranging your duties by taking the order before filling coffee etc... may help fill the gap. Having a little breather between the courses is generally a good thing. Giving you time to clear the dirties and refill drinks prior to the main course.

Morticia, I think it's all perfectly fine. It's a b&b, not a restaurant with all kinds of staff running around. And how long does one wait in a restaurant sometimes for a sub-par breakfast? Unless you're getting complaints, please try not to stress about this. I would expect to wait for my freshly prepared breakfast. Wouldn't you if the tables were turned?
You can't hurry the chef!
heart.gif
Guess that's all I have to say. Some day I'm going to get there (hopefully inn-cognito)
shades_smile.gif

I don't understand why you are stressing about this now. You all have been doing this way too long...are you overthinking this? Chill and go with the flow.

Morticia said:
So 20 minutes before the starter? I thought you meant 20 min between sitting down and main course.

Maybe that is a tad bit long of a wait for 1st course, but you may get Gomez to get a head start on the starter so that it doesn't take quite that long.
Rearranging your duties by taking the order before filling coffee etc... may help fill the gap. Having a little breather between the courses is generally a good thing. Giving you time to clear the dirties and refill drinks prior to the main course.
20 minutes from the time I give the starter until the main shows up.

Morticia, I think it's all perfectly fine. It's a b&b, not a restaurant with all kinds of staff running around. And how long does one wait in a restaurant sometimes for a sub-par breakfast? Unless you're getting complaints, please try not to stress about this. I would expect to wait for my freshly prepared breakfast. Wouldn't you if the tables were turned?
You can't hurry the chef!
heart.gif
Guess that's all I have to say. Some day I'm going to get there (hopefully inn-cognito)
shades_smile.gif
seashanty said:
Some day I'm going to get there (hopefully inn-cognito)
shades_smile.gif
With that hair? No way!

I don't understand why you are stressing about this now. You all have been doing this way too long...are you overthinking this? Chill and go with the flow..
EmptyNest said:
I don't understand why you are stressing about this now. You all have been doing this way too long...are you overthinking this? Chill and go with the flow.
Because we get bored with the same old same old. And we have a good repeat rate so we like to throw new stuff at them so they don't get bored.

Our breakfast is not gourmet, but a lot of guests think it is. Our major metro area we draw from is known as a foodie town. Well, you would never know that from the guests we get. In the beginning years I tried to serve more gourmet items. Most of them came back not even tasted. Lesson learned there. I do tell people that have never been to a b&b not to expect from us the type of breakfast they would get at Denny's, but they don't have to be afraid because they should recognize all the foods, they're just put together differently than what they're used to.
Our winter fruits that we can get locally are very few. Apples & pears. I do a lot with those, but it gets old (to me). Summer & fall we have the most delicious berries. I have to add imported fruits especially strawberries. I use strawberries all year around. It's one of the few fruits I can get here with any color..
This time of year: kiwi and pomegranates perk up the fruit salads. So colorful.

First, I've never done more than 10 breakfasts at a time. So my method may not suit.
Fruit salad starter. Always. Sometimes finished quickly. Sometimes they linger.
Everything else is pre-prepped so it can be finished off in about 7 minutes. Hot cereal holds, so I'm talking the egg dishes, omlettes, eggs B, herb-cream cheese scramble, french toast (Not stuffed) or what have you. Sausage or bacon, potatoes, and toast on the side. Like others have said, plain food, but top quality. Garnishes can include grape clusters, orange slices, tomato slices, chilled aparagus tips. Most devour the garnishes too.
Entrees come out, then toast, then coffee. Kitchen cleanup is constant throughout breakfast service.
We ask the night before what breakfast time they would like, so we rarely get all at once. Usually a least a few minutes between tables arriving.
I suppose our 'secret' is a restaurant size griddle.
My kitchen door has a window so I can peer at tables and see how they're progressing. The door is just a few steps from the stove and griddle, quick to check.
Also, I don't use tablecloths, so changing place settings is very fast.
I also use trays for service. You can bring out entrees and take away empties in one trip. I always use a tray. Always. Every trip to and fro or from kitchen and back accomplishes more than one purpose, and far more can be carried on a tray than just your two hands.
Sometimes I get help from DH. Most often not.

Hmm.. all of our breakfasts are designed to be ready to go within a few minutes of the guests taking their seats. We have a time the guests gave us from the night before, most guests are within 15 minutes of that time. They come down- take a seat- coffee press or tea goes out- and then- within a couple of minutes- the main plate. We've never thought of slowing breakfast down..
I do breakfast like you do. I only have two guest rooms and I take coffee/tea orders the night before. I tell them then that breakfast is served at 8:00am unless they would like a later time. I choose what is served, usually French toast or a quiche or something along those lines, with hash browns, a fruit and yogurt dish, and a home baked mini nutbread. All is on the table when I open the door to the breakfast room at 8. My kitchen is open to the breakfast room and I do cleanup as I cook so that all is spotless when guests arrive. This system seems to work well for everyone all around, and allows me time to chat with my guests.

Hmm.. all of our breakfasts are designed to be ready to go within a few minutes of the guests taking their seats. We have a time the guests gave us from the night before, most guests are within 15 minutes of that time. They come down- take a seat- coffee press or tea goes out- and then- within a couple of minutes- the main plate. We've never thought of slowing breakfast down..
I do breakfast like you do. I only have two guest rooms and I take coffee/tea orders the night before. I tell them then that breakfast is served at 8:00am unless they would like a later time. I choose what is served, usually French toast or a quiche or something along those lines, with hash browns, a fruit and yogurt dish, and a home baked mini nutbread. All is on the table when I open the door to the breakfast room at 8. My kitchen is open to the breakfast room and I do cleanup as I cook so that all is spotless when guests arrive. This system seems to work well for everyone all around, and allows me time to chat with my guests.
THIS is what makes a cottage, or inn, or bnb so special. So similar and so different as long as it works for us and, most importantly, our guests.
I LOVE the vision of popping into a model kitchen and chatting with a relaxed host who is serving you something delicious. I am sure I am not the only one who enjoys having some of the hosts time and not feeling guilty that they may have no time to give you.

(disclaimer - I don't have time to read all responses right now, but...)
I would think that as long as you explain to the guests that once they show up in the dining room in the morning, there is a 30 minute turn around time for delivering their breakfast they would be accommodating. Make it part of your check-in schpeel. Then they can come to breakfast and make a quick appearance, grab a table and know that one of them can still be in the room with 30 minutes more to get ready. Or they can being their tablet and catch up on the news, etc. Give them the info in advance and they can be prepared.

I would get the breakfast orders in before bringing the first course out, letting them know what to expect. ie "I'll be right back with your starter but first let me find out how you'd like your main course so hubby can get started on it."
To me, 30 minutes sounds like a long time to wait for breakfast, especially if I have plans for my day.
If you want to shake up the breakfast offerings, you can think about dishes that are not necessarily made to order, but finished to order. For instance, frittata and bread pudding hold very well in terms of taste and texture but, as you say, tend to look a little sad after an hour.
Perk them up by finishing them as needed with sauces or garnishes. Cheese sauce, hollandaise, roasted (whole) or fresh (diced) grape tomatoes in EVOO and balsamic, sauteed mushrooms (sauteed to order), salsa, chopped fresh herbs, etc, for savoury dishes. Warm berry sauce, fresh berry/fruit salsa, coulis, creme anglaise, lemon curd, greek yogurt, whipped cream, toasted almonds, dusting of icing sugar, etc, to freshen up sweet dishes. A bowl of melted butter and a pastry brush can be used to put a fresh gloss on just about anything.
Of course, if part of your reason for doing made to order instead of baked dishes is to cut down on leftovers, none of this helps.

I would think that as long as you explain to the guests that once they show up in the dining room in the morning, there is a 30 minute turn around time for delivering their breakfast they would be accommodating. Make it part of your check-in schpeel. Then they can come to breakfast and make a quick appearance, grab a table and know that one of them can still be in the room with 30 minutes more to get ready. Or they can being their tablet and catch up on the news, etc. Give them the info in advance and they can be prepared..
Kay Nein said:
I would think that as long as you explain to the guests that once they show up in the dining room in the morning, there is a 30 minute turn around time for delivering their breakfast they would be accommodating. Make it part of your check-in schpeel. Then they can come to breakfast and make a quick appearance, grab a table and know that one of them can still be in the room with 30 minutes more to get ready. Or they can being their tablet and catch up on the news, etc. Give them the info in advance and they can be prepared.
No! The dreaded table holder! Then other guests are waiting while the table holder reads the paper. ;-)
No table holding allowed.
I always ask if the rest of the party is on the way. Of not, the guest needs to vacate the table if other rooms show up ready to eat.
We can seat 80% of the rooms at once. As long as it's only 2 per room. And guests are willing to share a table.

I would get the breakfast orders in before bringing the first course out, letting them know what to expect. ie "I'll be right back with your starter but first let me find out how you'd like your main course so hubby can get started on it."
To me, 30 minutes sounds like a long time to wait for breakfast, especially if I have plans for my day.
If you want to shake up the breakfast offerings, you can think about dishes that are not necessarily made to order, but finished to order. For instance, frittata and bread pudding hold very well in terms of taste and texture but, as you say, tend to look a little sad after an hour.
Perk them up by finishing them as needed with sauces or garnishes. Cheese sauce, hollandaise, roasted (whole) or fresh (diced) grape tomatoes in EVOO and balsamic, sauteed mushrooms (sauteed to order), salsa, chopped fresh herbs, etc, for savoury dishes. Warm berry sauce, fresh berry/fruit salsa, coulis, creme anglaise, lemon curd, greek yogurt, whipped cream, toasted almonds, dusting of icing sugar, etc, to freshen up sweet dishes. A bowl of melted butter and a pastry brush can be used to put a fresh gloss on just about anything.
Of course, if part of your reason for doing made to order instead of baked dishes is to cut down on leftovers, none of this helps..
Thanks for the ideas for freshening up the dishes!

seashanty said:
. I always had music playing and there was a cd that was most popular. It was music but had wind chimes and fog horns and sea gulls and boats in the background and people thought it was sounds from outside in the harbor.
What's the name of the CD?

Maybe try a very simple menu to choose from for the entrees. Then, there is definitely the perception that everything is cooked to order (even though your folks can see that, I sometimes wonder from your posts if your guests are awake and alert in the mornings). Some people might even opt out, just preferring the fruit starter and any baked goods. A few others here tried that...I'd be curious what their feedback is.

Back