Detached Bath Pricing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Disclaimer: Not meant to start any controversy over shared, detached, ensuite baths...
I have had our detached bath - guest room booked for more nights by different guests this past week than ever before. I am going to guess it is the pricing as it is $10 less than the next room. For some $10 is not worth saving to step outside the door to use the bathroom.
When I had it just $5 less than the next room it did not book well.
What do you do to help sell the detached "plague" guest room - other than when you are full up? Do you try to get it booked or just focus on the other rooms first and let that room be more of an 'overflow' room? Your thoughts?

I think you should identify whatever it is that make it a "plague" room and take steps to remedy it. It might mean some remodeling or redecorating, but if it's not renting, then the extra cash outlay to get it rented (possibly at a higher rate) would be worth it. Repackage the room. What is it that makes it unique and desirable?
OR you could lie and say that room is haunted!
danceghost.gif

I just said. Plague means detached bath.
This is what the thread is about. Hm, and they say people don't read... ha ha

This is what the thread is about. Hm, and they say people don't read... ha ha.
Joe Bloggs said:
It's called speed reading, but going so fast you miss some of the details. Sorry.
embaressed_smile.gif

How difficult would it be to add a bath? Are you in an historical building or do you have code restrictions?

We went $10 lower than the en suite room this year and it's not booking it as quickly as it did at $15 off last year. It's a tough room to be 'left with' for walk-ins. At least until the Europeans arrive, then it's never empty.

Joe Bloggs said:
It's called speed reading, but going so fast you miss some of the details. Sorry.
embaressed_smile.gif

How difficult would it be to add a bath? Are you in an historical building or do you have code restrictions?
Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

SOME of the details? Ha ha
Okay without adding another bath, it has a bath. Just not inside the room. :) Private, not inside the room. If we had super high occup we would consider doing that, currently it books, but books last, and this weekend and week is actually booking I think due to the price.

Our detached bath is a shared bath, so I guess the comparison would not be fair.
Our friendly neighboring keepers have one room of their nine rooms with a detached bath, and it is $20.00 less per night than their next up private bath room.

We went $10 lower than the en suite room this year and it's not booking it as quickly as it did at $15 off last year. It's a tough room to be 'left with' for walk-ins. At least until the Europeans arrive, then it's never empty..
Bree said:
We went $10 lower than the en suite room this year and it's not booking it as quickly as it did at $15 off last year. It's a tough room to be 'left with' for walk-ins. At least until the Europeans arrive, then it's never empty.
I had a call from the UK today and he apologized for his wife's RLS but required a king bed lest he be kicked all night. I think it is always funny that they make apologies for the larger beds or private baths in the UK. But that is the other "demographic" that don't mind the detached bath.

Our detached bath is a shared bath, so I guess the comparison would not be fair.
Our friendly neighboring keepers have one room of their nine rooms with a detached bath, and it is $20.00 less per night than their next up private bath room..
Little Blue said:
Our friendly neighboring keepers have one room of their nine rooms with a detached bath, and it is $20.00 less per night than their next up private bath room.
can you tell me what the next room up rate is over there? I mean high rates or average? $100, $180, $300?

Our friendly neighboring keepers have one room of their nine rooms with a detached bath, and it is $20.00 less per night than their next up private bath room..
Little Blue said:
can you tell me what the next room up rate is over there? I mean high rates or average? $100, $180, $300?
They have nine rooms, ranging from $85 - $295 (I know!!). The detached private bath is $85.00 and the next room is $105, then two more are $120.00 and up from there. Of course, their five lowest priced rooms do not have TV's, no fireplaces, no frills other than seating chairs.
My shared bath room is $95.00 and rents more than their three lowest priced rooms...but it also has cable TV and fireplace. I think he has his three lowest rooms priced too low, but I guess he's trying to cover the spread.

Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Okay without adding another bath, it has a bath. Just not inside the room. :) Private, not inside the room. If we had super high occup we would consider doing that, currently it books, but books last, and this weekend and week is actually booking I think due to the price.
Using my fallback decorating philosopy, "If you can't fix it cover it up." Is it possible to combine it with an adjoining room and rent it as a suite? That way it looks like you meant it to be that way.

Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Using my fallback decorating philosopy, "If you can't fix it cover it up." Is it possible to combine it with an adjoining room and rent it as a suite? That way it looks like you meant it to be that way.
SweetiePie said:
I tried that. Not actually cutting a hole in the wall or anything, but selling them as a suite of rooms with a discount - but we don't rent to kids, so it still did not fly.
My theory was for example, those renting the room but not a couple, so having the bath outside the room might be acceptable. I also tried putting a sofa bed in the room to rent to three and that didn't seem to work, becasue then I raised the rate to cover the 3rd person.
It is currently $10 less, I wonder if $15 would be the magic number?

Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
I tried that. Not actually cutting a hole in the wall or anything, but selling them as a suite of rooms with a discount - but we don't rent to kids, so it still did not fly.
My theory was for example, those renting the room but not a couple, so having the bath outside the room might be acceptable. I also tried putting a sofa bed in the room to rent to three and that didn't seem to work, becasue then I raised the rate to cover the 3rd person.
I don't think $10.00 is enough. I would say go $15.00 or $20.00 less OR add something to the room that the others don't have to up the desirability factor!

Our plague room is our hottest seller, because it is our cheapest room...
Edited to say, we have robes in that room, the key to the bath coincides with the room key, so it can be locked when they are away and it is $30 cheaper than our mid-priced room...and we make a point to tell them if they call that is is not shared, that seems to be the key...

Edited to say, we have robes in that room, the key to the bath coincides with the room key, so it can be locked when they are away and it is $30 cheaper than our mid-priced room...and we make a point to tell them if they call that is is not shared, that seems to be the key....
You're right the key is "private" rather than ensuite. As long as the price is right; it will sell.

Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joe Bloggs said:
embaressed_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
I don't think $10.00 is enough. I would say go $15.00 or $20.00 less OR add something to the room that the others don't have to up the desirability factor!
Little Blue said:
We added a queen bed last year, took out the double. THAT helped. But I still think the $15 off is more what gets them in.

Sorry to say this..but no amount of $$$ of the room rate would get me to take a detached bath...I would be looking somewhere else if that was the only room you had available :-(

Edited to say, we have robes in that room, the key to the bath coincides with the room key, so it can be locked when they are away and it is $30 cheaper than our mid-priced room...and we make a point to tell them if they call that is is not shared, that seems to be the key....
Willowpondgj said:
Edited to say, we have robes in that room, the key to the bath coincides with the room key, so it can be locked when they are away and it is $30 cheaper than our mid-priced room...and we make a point to tell them if they call that is is not shared, that seems to be the key...
Joe didn't want to get into this, but it came up anyway...not a single one of our callers to whom we tell this is a PRIVATE bathroom believe us. Because it is in the hall, it is NOT private to them. They will even stand there with the key in their hands and ask, 'If we lock the door, how do these other rooms get into the bathroom?' I tell them, 'They have their own bathroom, this one is yours. It is not shared. It is all yours. No one else uses it. Lock it and don't worry.'
I really think some of them leave thinking they locked the other guests out of the bathroom.

Maybe they have read this forum about people going in and using the shower and toilet in the hall baths. LOL!
I think typically one person books it and sneaks it on the other party and they are the shocked ones whom you then try to convince it is NOT shared. Even when you tell them they sometimes remove all their stuff thinking it is shared. Everything says PRIVATE (not shared) on our website and confirmation, but people don't read...

Back