Detached Bath Pricing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would take a detached bath, as long as it was on the same floor!.
Willowpondgj said:
I would take a detached bath, as long as it was on the same floor!
Not I. Not even for $50 off. My bathroom right now is on another floor. When I travel I want the luxury of en suite!
I think it depends upon the purpose of the trip. I've stayed at B&Bs in the past with a shared bath at the end of the hall and it was fine. I was there for a conference and was going to be gone the majority of the time.
Now, if it was for relaxation or a romantic getaway; it would be a different story. Perhaps you should market that room to business people with an appropriate per diem rate.

I'm not fully qualified to weigh in because all of our rooms have private bathROOMS inside the guest room with a door separating them from the sleeping room but have stayed in places that didn't offer the same.
As a guest and a person who doesn't wear much to bed, many folks like me just might be uncomfortable even walking a short distance to a bathroom where there is even a remote possibility of bumping into another person.
I'm not and would slip on a pair of gym shorts or pajamas, but I can understand some folk's apprehension.
A shared or detached bathroom is pretty customary in other countries around the world so our European guests aren't as insistent about it. Unless your place has a huge percentage of those type guests, its a drain mentally and financially seeing that same room empty more often than not.
It just seems like Americans are especially picky about this issue and just can't wrap their heads around the concept that some of us with older homes or who didn't build from the ground up might have a scenario where not all the rooms have private bathrooms inside each guest room.
As a guest, I'd prefer to have a private bathroom inside my guest room, but if I really want to stay somewhere because of all the other factors I've learned about the place, I'd use the bush behind the house if that was the only way I could stay at your place.
Until they get to your place,even if you describe its lockability, layout and the path to it very well, they just won't know the level of privacy afforded to get to that bathroom.
Rather than suggest a hard dollar figure on how much to knock off to put heads in that room, I'd offer that you try to find your comfort zone on just how much cheaper you can make that room by testing the waters for a while. It doesn't have to be permanent.
If the problem goes away, you've found the right discount. If it doesn't, some infrastructural changes may have to be considered if you're a small place and the loss of revenue for that one room is having an impact.
In our case, our "smallest" and lowest cost room is 12' x 17.5' not counting the bathroom. For our first several years it was always the last room booked. Now it is the most booked room. We haven't really done anything to it or enhanced it, its just the economy speaking.
One way we have steered more guests into that room is that when somebody calls and is immediately pressing for a discount above all other considerations, we'll be generous with a discount and consider it part of our advertising budget. We get them in here, haven't sacrificed a larger, more revenue positive room that would likely get booked at full price and once here the guest usually is very happy because they feel like we worked with them a little.

In my traveling days, I LOOKED for the shared bath. Private detached would have been great! Shared was cheaper - it bought lunch! But that is me who grew up with a 2-seater out back - inside was great.
Funny thing is that my room that is most considered "my room" is the Harris which is a shared bath - even by my upper-class regulars. I think it is the reading nook. The horse people want that room because of the price - $95 as opposed to the $129 private rate. I have on several occasions however sold the Harris as a private bath for $125.
I am the only one with keys for that bathroom. It has a deadbolt lock and since I have the only key, no one can ever walk in if it was locked.

One thing I have found is that against my original thinking, it is the business guests who relish their privacy the most - which is why many do not like to stay at BnB's in the first place. So they are the uttmost opposed to the detached bath. I tried to work that 'angle' and it never caught.
Someone mentioned per diem, hm maybe that might fly? vs regular business guests.

There are robes in all our rooms.
I thought of it as the thrifty alternative as well. It is the room with all the books, even the bathroom has books. Maybe I should hold a close-out booking sale for that room only! Any ideas on that? I mean, I know I could do a BOGO, or like I saw on someone's website a few years ago - buy one night get a GC for a second night to use another time within a year. Does anyone do that? I hate to have those "out there" though, so maybe not that idea. Or midweek only get the second night 50% off? Your thoughts forum innmates?

There are robes in all our rooms.
I thought of it as the thrifty alternative as well. It is the room with all the books, even the bathroom has books. Maybe I should hold a close-out booking sale for that room only! Any ideas on that? I mean, I know I could do a BOGO, or like I saw on someone's website a few years ago - buy one night get a GC for a second night to use another time within a year. Does anyone do that? I hate to have those "out there" though, so maybe not that idea. Or midweek only get the second night 50% off? Your thoughts forum innmates?.
Is that room big enough to have a big rocking chair and reading lamp - a la my Harris Room? Raise the rates on the other rooms and leave that one alone (or lower that one). Then you will know if it is price difference that makes a difference. Highlight the reading room - maybe call it the Book Nook. I do get a lot of comments about my "books on the second floor are to be 'stolen' " being listed on the web site. And I have always had the robes in the closets from day one when we were 3 with shared. I always said - we know it disappoints many people but no streakers are aloowed so there are robes in the closets.

One thing I have found is that against my original thinking, it is the business guests who relish their privacy the most - which is why many do not like to stay at BnB's in the first place. So they are the uttmost opposed to the detached bath. I tried to work that 'angle' and it never caught.
Someone mentioned per diem, hm maybe that might fly? vs regular business guests..
Joe Bloggs said:
Someone mentioned per diem, hm maybe that might fly? vs regular business guests.
Is there a sizable govermental facility anywhere near you?
We have one of the largest national laboratories in the country 15 minutes away with thousands of consultants, temporary workers, etc.. coming in and out daily, weekly, monthly, etc. and we can count the number of guests we get from it in a year on one hand.
The biggest impediments we see preventing us from tapping into that business are:
a.) The perception among business travelers that B&Bs aren't up to speed technologically with Wi-Fi, high speed internet in the rooms, fax machines, etc.
b.) The perception among business travelers that B&Bs aren't flexible in their breakfast serving times, etc..
Many of the lab business guests we do get, need to be up there pretty early. If they are here midweek and there aren't other guests, we'll either serve them the full breakfast early or pack them a to-go breakfast.
c.) The reality among business travelers that all they want is a decent bed, good internet connection and no fuss.
d.) The perception that we're not open to negotiation on discounts or aren't willing to only accept the per diem which can be quite low so they don't have to make up the difference or pay anything above what they'll be reimbursed for.
I think there is a link on this site for the FEDrooms website. Its got lots of info on it.

You might need to go to $15 less than the other rooms. Then, if they book online and save $10, they think that they're really getting a good deal!! That is a nice sunny, roomy guest room and the bath is very spacious. Is it your largest bath?? If so, I'd promote that.
There are just a lot of people (like CatLady) that will NOT book a room with a detached bath under any circumstances. You will never convince them to change their minds.
If robes are supplied, I have no problem with a detached bath but I'm not up a lot during the night. I am more concerned with room location if a lot of other guests will be traipsing by my room :)

You might need to go to $15 less than the other rooms. Then, if they book online and save $10, they think that they're really getting a good deal!! That is a nice sunny, roomy guest room and the bath is very spacious. Is it your largest bath?? If so, I'd promote that.
There are just a lot of people (like CatLady) that will NOT book a room with a detached bath under any circumstances. You will never convince them to change their minds.
If robes are supplied, I have no problem with a detached bath but I'm not up a lot during the night. I am more concerned with room location if a lot of other guests will be traipsing by my room :).
Samster said:
If robes are supplied, I have no problem with a detached bath but I'm not up a lot during the night. I am more concerned with room location if a lot of other guests will be traipsing by my room :)
Here is the real question after having thought about everyone's input.
Am I getting more bookings if I lower the rate for that room (those who would not normally be staying here), or am I taking bookings from the rooms with a higher room rate?
You mentioned a while back that by making it MUCH cheaper you might give the impression there is something wrong with that room (other than the detached bath part), so I had it only $5 diff, and that was a no brainer - for $5 more I could have private bath INSIDE the room, so inside the room.

If robes are supplied, I have no problem with a detached bath but I'm not up a lot during the night. I am more concerned with room location if a lot of other guests will be traipsing by my room :).
Samster said:
You might need to go to $15 less than the other rooms. Then, if they book online and save $10, they think that they're really getting a good deal!!
Yeah they WOULD be getting a good deal. Esp with one of our specials currently promoted. So then I think, gee I don't want to give the room away. (This is just me thinking aloud here).
Has anyone done an ROOM OF THE MONTH to promote a specific room with specials just for that room>

Samster said:
Am I getting more bookings if I lower the rate for that room (those who would not normally be staying here), or am I taking bookings from the rooms with a higher room rate?
You mentioned a while back that by making it MUCH cheaper you might give the impression there is something wrong with that room (other than the detached bath part), so I had it only $5 diff, and that was a no brainer - for $5 more I could have private bath INSIDE the room, so inside the room.
It really depends on whether it bothers you that the room stays empty. If it is empty and you just can't book it, the lower price will help. If it's empty and the higher rooms are full, then it's probably not a big deal. Like Sanctuary does, we'll block off that lower priced room until we get some higher priced rooms filled. We hate doing the whole song and dance for the lower price only.
And yes, the big difference in price DOES make guests ask what's wrong with that room? They ask almost everytime.
I did have 3 months where no one took that room. I was pretty surprised when I realized that!

Samster said:
You might need to go to $15 less than the other rooms. Then, if they book online and save $10, they think that they're really getting a good deal!!
Yeah they WOULD be getting a good deal. Esp with one of our specials currently promoted. So then I think, gee I don't want to give the room away. (This is just me thinking aloud here).
Has anyone done an ROOM OF THE MONTH to promote a specific room with specials just for that room>
I used to do that. No specials, just a feature page for that particular room. Your standard rooms page, but for me it was a big deal to have a whole page dedicated to one room.

When my shared bath becomes a private bath it is only $4 less than the ensuite;. Yes, I could still be losing money, but I have 2 rooms guaranteed and one room less to feed and do laundry for.

Price does drive perception to a great extent. My shared bathroom went unrented quite a bit in the beginning. Then a fellow Innkeeper in the area reminded me that even that shared bath room has more amenities than any of her PB rooms, and the low prices was keeping it from being rented. I raised the rate by $20.00, and now that room rents much more frequently....but there is still a $30 per night different between my SB and PB room rates.

Price does drive perception to a great extent. My shared bathroom went unrented quite a bit in the beginning. Then a fellow Innkeeper in the area reminded me that even that shared bath room has more amenities than any of her PB rooms, and the low prices was keeping it from being rented. I raised the rate by $20.00, and now that room rents much more frequently....but there is still a $30 per night different between my SB and PB room rates..
Little Blue said:
Price does drive perception to a great extent. My shared bathroom went unrented quite a bit in the beginning. Then a fellow Innkeeper in the area reminded me that even that shared bath room has more amenities than any of her PB rooms, and the low prices was keeping it from being rented. I raised the rate by $20.00, and now that room rents much more frequently....but there is still a $30 per night different between my SB and PB room rates.
Thanks. See there is so much to consider isn't there! $30 seems like a big gap. How do you market that room(s) do you say much about it shared or just leave the details on the listing and keep it simple?

Price does drive perception to a great extent. My shared bathroom went unrented quite a bit in the beginning. Then a fellow Innkeeper in the area reminded me that even that shared bath room has more amenities than any of her PB rooms, and the low prices was keeping it from being rented. I raised the rate by $20.00, and now that room rents much more frequently....but there is still a $30 per night different between my SB and PB room rates..
Little Blue said:
Thanks. See there is so much to consider isn't there! $30 seems like a big gap. How do you market that room(s) do you say much about it shared or just leave the details on the listing and keep it simple?
I accentuate the fact that that bath shares only with hubs and myself, so is always clean and fresh with no waiting. Our guests will never walk into it all hot and steamy, or with towels laying all over, or with overflowing trash, or bereft of towels, or with someone else's toiletries cluttering the counters.
We are in and out in minutes in the morning, and do our showers when everyone is out for the day. Oddly enough, we have three different great repeat couples who will only book that room....go figure!

Samster said:
Yep, it's a very fine line. If the room has a detached bath and it's clear on the website, I personally wouldn't wonder what's wrong at all but figure that you're offering it for less because of the detached bath. There's no easy answer here because we know that prospective guests don't READ!!!!
It's like you told me not to make our large room with 2 Queen Beds cheaper than the other room in the main house with the King bed. When I made the rooms the same rate, it started booking more! Of course it's Summer now and nothing is booking. Boo hoo hoo.....
cry_smile.gif

Little Blue said:
I accentuate the fact that that bath shares only with hubs and myself, so is always clean and fresh with no waiting. Our guests will never walk into it all hot and steamy, or with towels laying all over, or with overflowing trash, or bereft of towels, or with someone else's toiletries cluttering the counters.
We are in and out in minutes in the morning, and do our showers when everyone is out for the day. Oddly enough, we have three different great repeat couples who will only book that room....go figure!
You share YOUR bathroom??? Oh..that would be a definite no no for me. My owner's quarters are strictly mine and I would not want any guests in it at any time no matter what. But..saying that I realize that each of us is different..so if it works for you..that is fine.

Little Blue said:
My shared actually has a $34 difference. I display prominently that it is shared and repeat when taking the reservation that it is shared. My repeats KNOW it is shared but "their room" is one that is shared. The PB definitely is first rented unless price (or already rented) is the determinator.

Back