Filed under: Can't win for losing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay may I intervene on this thread a moment.
This is the deal, changing passwords on your front door OFTEN is like changing your atm code or something you do OFTEN, daily NEW password on your pc! It would be maniacal to do it.
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
thing out, put a lock with keys that are lost or taken constantly or left in the room when they step outside and then answer the door all the time. OR leave it open and have past guests possibly wander in.
This thread is making me bananas (borrowed that term from Liza Minelli last week). YES BANANAS! Stop already, the only answer to ALL these problems is to shut the inn down! Bar the doors, turn off the lights, put a SOLD sign out front and move to Florida already.
help.gif

How about a retina scan? They will still have to open the door unless you put in those grocery store auto door openers..
Joey Bloggs said:
This is the deal, changing passwords on your front door OFTEN is like changing your atm code or something you do OFTEN, daily NEW password on your pc! It would be maniacal to do it.
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
thing out, put a lock with keys that are lost or taken constantly or left in the room when they step outside and then answer the door all the time. OR leave it open and have past guests possibly wander in.
This thread is making me bananas (borrowed that term from Liza Minelli last week). YES BANANAS! Stop already, the only answer to ALL these problems is to shut the inn down! Bar the doors, turn off the lights, put a SOLD sign out front and move to Florida already.
help.gif

How about a retina scan? They will still have to open the door unless you put in those grocery store auto door openers.
I think somebody needs a nap.
lol-053.gif

LOL JB.....
I'll bet there is a solution to this dilema...I've got an idea...may seem silly. i don't think it would be to obvious. Cetainly wouldn't last long.
House number.

LOL JB.....
I'll bet there is a solution to this dilema...I've got an idea...may seem silly. i don't think it would be to obvious. Cetainly wouldn't last long.
House number..
One Day said:
LOL JB.....
House number.
Bet that is the first one a burglar tries. We just use the number that was pre programmed. Write it on a business card. They put it in their wallet. Has worked so far.
RIki

LOL JB.....
House number..
One Day said:
LOL JB.....
House number.
Okay back to security 101. I bet I can guess your passwords lickety split. Or alarm code. No we don't want the numbers on the building, we don't want the phone #, we don't want anything tied to the B&B.
The solution is live with it. Either open the door or not. People leave the door open, people let strangers in, people give the code out, people people people...that is what we are dealing with.
Okay yes you are right there is a solution - how about the innkeepers social security number?
Yes, I am kidding, sarcasm doesn't become me. HA HA
I had to call Amex back today re our merchant account and get this...the ONLY WAY they could verify my information was to give them my checking account #. Funny they even said CHECKING account. Told them where to go, scammers.

Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

How about a retina scan? They will still have to open the door unless you put in those grocery store auto door openers..
Joey Bloggs said:
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

How about a retina scan? They will still have to open the door unless you put in those grocery store auto door openers.
lol-053.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

lol-053.gif
I always need a nap.

Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

lol-053.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

lol-053.gif
I always need a nap.

Take the
potty-mouth.gif
help.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
I did find one that did a fingerprint scan.

LOL JB.....
House number..
One Day said:
LOL JB.....
House number.
Okay back to security 101. I bet I can guess your passwords lickety split. Or alarm code. No we don't want the numbers on the building, we don't want the phone #, we don't want anything tied to the B&B.
The solution is live with it. Either open the door or not. People leave the door open, people let strangers in, people give the code out, people people people...that is what we are dealing with.
Okay yes you are right there is a solution - how about the innkeepers social security number?
Yes, I am kidding, sarcasm doesn't become me. HA HA
I had to call Amex back today re our merchant account and get this...the ONLY WAY they could verify my information was to give them my checking account #. Funny they even said CHECKING account. Told them where to go, scammers.
About AmEx calling...I called them, too, because I kept getting this call saying they had to verify my merchant account to keep paying me. Really? The money goes in everyday, what's there to verify?

OK, one more and I will stop for fear that Joey's head will explode...guest just rang bell. He was standing there with the code in his hand and said he didn't know if he should use the code on THIS door or the other one. (Well, why not try and see what happens then?) I am pretty clear that the only entry door there is is THIS one. And also clear that THIS is the door you need the code for.
So, ok, easy mistake. The next question was, 'So, I enter the code and ring the bell, right?'
Alrighty...WHICH one of you sent him here?
wink_smile.gif

OK, I know I said the last one was the last one, but they just keep coming today...another guest checks in and Gomez does the whole door intro. He shows everyone how to use the keypad, full demo, with explanations and, I swear sometimes he breaks out a chart with diagrams! (OK, exaggeration with the charts.)
Anyway, he says (because of all the trouble we have had this week), 'You MUST have the code with you at all times to reenter the house.' Guest says, 'Can't we just ring the bell?' (WHAT are they thinking?) Gomez, 'At all times you must have the code or it may be 20-30 minutes before we answer the door.' Guest, 'WHAT???' Gomez, 'We're very sound sleepers and we're in bed at 9 PM.'
It was a wonderful insight into how the mind of the guest works...'Why do I need to bother MYSELF with this, I'll just ring the bell, someone is here, they HAVE to answer the door.' (New line in the spiel...'We are NOT always here, you MUST be prepared for that!')
Why is it that this seems to be the year we have to relearn everything? Are we slacking somehow? Forgetting BIG details in our greetings to the arriving guests? Or are guests just more needy this year? A little less confident? More wanting someone else to take care of everything?

I think it's gizmo overload.....
When I had bought mon and dad a new TV, one with the dvd player built in.........Cause mom didn't leave bedroom for a month..........it took dad days to use the remote with no assistence........mom about 2 weeks
I find with myself in the past several years becoming the same way.....programable thermostat for the heat....installed 2 years ago......i still haven't programed it. I tried once....think I'll try again when I replace battery before we need heat.
All I want to do at this point is program the default low setting....from factory it is 62........want to try it at 70.....so that mom and dad may not feel the need to raise it all the time......and I can stop wearing Tshirt and shorts in the house all through winter.

is there such a thing as a keypad lock with two codes?
one for YOU that will always work and that you don't give out to guests.
and the second that you give to guests and change all the time
i love the 'so i enter the code and then ring the bell, right?'
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I think it's gizmo overload.....
When I had bought mon and dad a new TV, one with the dvd player built in.........Cause mom didn't leave bedroom for a month..........it took dad days to use the remote with no assistence........mom about 2 weeks
I find with myself in the past several years becoming the same way.....programable thermostat for the heat....installed 2 years ago......i still haven't programed it. I tried once....think I'll try again when I replace battery before we need heat.
All I want to do at this point is program the default low setting....from factory it is 62........want to try it at 70.....so that mom and dad may not feel the need to raise it all the time......and I can stop wearing Tshirt and shorts in the house all through winter..
Gizmo overload...interesting.

is there such a thing as a keypad lock with two codes?
one for YOU that will always work and that you don't give out to guests.
and the second that you give to guests and change all the time
i love the 'so i enter the code and then ring the bell, right?'
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
Generally, they come with 6 and up. You can use as many as you like. We use the same code as the guests to come in the inn door.
The problem I had was that it is work to change the codes. So, that's why the new lock with the easy-to-change program. Should be here in another week.

I have dead bolts on our cottage rooms. They have 2 codes. easy to change the codes too! Got these at Lowes.

we are having a nightmare at the problem as we are replacing the back step this is just in front of the back door which is the most popular entrance to our place as it is where the car park is. So they have to go in through another door so we have put out huge signs saying don't walk on the step that doesn't stop them I have to dash out all the time it is a pain! also have a late check in and this is going to mess up the procedure. Trouble is we have to have to do it now before the weather breaks and finding 2 days where we don't have many people in and dry weather has just not happend wish my patience luck!

And last night someone, I don't know who, set off the alarm getting the combo wrong so many times, rang the bell as well and then someone else let them in before I had a chance to get out there.
Can't wait for the new door lock to get here.
BTW, don't mind me, I'm just whining...no sleep last night as another guest was coughing her head off in the room near mine.

And last night someone, I don't know who, set off the alarm getting the combo wrong so many times, rang the bell as well and then someone else let them in before I had a chance to get out there.
Can't wait for the new door lock to get here.
BTW, don't mind me, I'm just whining...no sleep last night as another guest was coughing her head off in the room near mine..
I feel soooo sorry for you having to deal with these kind of knumbskull guests. Hope the new key pad does the trick :)

Back