Food from home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO.
This is not a vacation rental. Is there a guest microwave, then they can heat up leftovers or whatever, not a whole meal for a whole house or family.
Kitchen is off limits. No you do not heat up food for people, nor do you wash their underwear or iron their clothes.
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
NO. This is not a vacation rental.
I've remained silent on this since I do have 2 guest rental apartments with full kitchens for guests, but it just occurred to be that you might consider what would happen if they were at a hotel and asked to use the hotel's kitchen to prepare their meal. It wouldn't even be considered.
That being said, if all they asked for is to use your oven to heat the stuff up, that's not a whole lot to ask. You'd just need to clarify that they need to use disposable plates, cups and silverware, and they need to clean up after themselves because you have plans and won't be able to do the cleanup.
I'm just trying to work with Anthony Melchiorri's encouragement to avoid giving an absolute "no" to guests, but instead to try to come up with a workaround that can avoid unhappy guests.
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
I've remained silent on this since I do have 2 guest rental apartments with full kitchens for guests, but it just occurred to be that you might consider what would happen if they were at a hotel and asked to use the hotel's kitchen to prepare their meal. It wouldn't even be considered.
That being said, if all they asked for is to use your oven to heat the stuff up, that's not a whole lot to ask. You'd just need to clarify that they need to use disposable plates, cups and silverware, and they need to clean up after themselves because you have plans and won't be able to do the cleanup.
I'm just trying to work with Anthony Melchiorri's encouragement to avoid giving an absolute "no" to guests, but instead to try to come up with a workaround that can avoid unhappy guests.
I agree. We say a loud NO here but we sugar coat it TO THE ACTUAL GUEST. Be assured.

We are not near restaurants so I tell guests they are welcome to bring take-out to eat in the guest lounge or al fresco. In my confirmation email, I state there is a microwave and small fridge available for guests but no cooking facilities so any food they bring should be ready-to-eat or ready-to-heat.
In the case of your guests, I would tell them I won't be able to heat their dinner for them and suggest as alternatives that they either bring picnic-style food to eat cold; or for a hot meal, they can bring take-out or pizza from a local restaurant.
On the topic of guests bringing food... On the registration form guests sign upon arrival, I added a "self-catering" policy which is similar to the smoking policy (states they are responsible for any damage, replacement, out-of-service, etc. due to food they bring into their room or common areas).

NO.
This is not a vacation rental. Is there a guest microwave, then they can heat up leftovers or whatever, not a whole meal for a whole house or family.
Kitchen is off limits. No you do not heat up food for people, nor do you wash their underwear or iron their clothes.
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
My work around is to say we have a microwave in the guest area for guest use. They can find the rest of the workaround!

NO.
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
My work around is to say we have a microwave in the guest area for guest use. They can find the rest of the workaround!
Copperhead said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes. This is not an absolute no. It's a way for the guest to bring in food and the innkeeper not to suddenly be wait staff.
But. They then create either a pile of trash they don't deal with or a pile of dishes they can't deal with.
Somehow we're ending up on the short end of the stick every time.

NO.
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Copperhead said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Yes. This is not an absolute no. It's a way for the guest to bring in food and the innkeeper not to suddenly be wait staff.
But. They then create either a pile of trash they don't deal with or a pile of dishes they can't deal with.
I have provided plastics along with a kitchen size garbage bag to those wanting to have a meal here. We do still have things to tidy up after but I don't usually feel put out. There are those few though....
angry_smile.gif
And the reason to always be concerned when they bring it up.
I have a group of 8 coming to stay Sat night. I know it is a group even though they each booked separately as they booked at the same time and all are from the same town. The flag has been lifted as we do have other guests in house.

NO.
shades_smile.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Copperhead said:
Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Madeleine said:
That's why you make the big bucks ;-)

Because we're in a rural area with limited restaurants, I ask guests on arrival if they need any help with figuring out their dinner plans. Often, they will say they they're going to stay in and brought cheese, bread, etc. I then always offer to give them plates. utensils, cutting board, etc. I've got no problem with the extra dishes because I'd rather give them the appropriate dishes rather than have the food strewn everywhere.
Kitchen priviledges? Not on your life!

Here's another example of 'Give an inch, they want a mile'.
I am in the beginning of our slow season. During this season we do get the occasional call for a long term stay. This one was an 18yo girl doing internship at a nearby gov. facility.
Mother called today after staying with DD at the place originally booked. She wanted something safer for her DD. I offered a deep discounted offer for the 8wk stay. They came in oooing and awwing. I pointed out the guest fridge and microwave for her use and the room.
THEN she said 'where can she cook?' Sorry, only microwave. Well what about a grill on the balcony. Sorry (but HELL no! )
I doubt I will hear from her again but if so, there will be a contract to be signed with policies - break any policy and out you go, no refunds.

I am in the beginning of our slow season. During this season we do get the occasional call for a long term stay. This one was an 18yo girl doing internship at a nearby gov. facility.
Mother called today after staying with DD at the place originally booked. She wanted something safer for her DD. I offered a deep discounted offer for the 8wk stay. They came in oooing and awwing. I pointed out the guest fridge and microwave for her use and the room.
THEN she said 'where can she cook?' Sorry, only microwave. Well what about a grill on the balcony. Sorry (but HELL no! )
I doubt I will hear from her again but if so, there will be a contract to be signed with policies - break any policy and out you go, no refunds..
ah, copperhead, this is too bad
for eight weeks, she probably belongs in a place with a kitchenette
i lived in a studio apartment for a year, and did bad things like cooking all manner of things in an electric frying pan, hot plate or crockpot and washing dishes in the bathroom (there was no kitchen). my landlord didn't know but i might have been thrown out if he found out.
for an extended stay - i would probably try to work out some kind of arrangement for her. and microwaves can do so much more these days! but sometimes it just can't work. and a grill on the balcony scenario is responsible for so many fires!
Copperhead said:
I doubt I will hear from her again but if so, there will be a contract to be signed with policies - break any policy and out you go, no refunds.

I doubt I will hear from her again but if so, there will be a contract to be signed with policies - break any policy and out you go, no refunds..
i lived in a studio apartment for a year, and did bad things like cooking all manner of things in an electric frying pan, hot plate or crockpot and washing dishes in the bathroom (there was no kitchen). my landlord didn't know but i might have been thrown out if he found out.
for an extended stay - i would probably try to work out some kind of arrangement for her. and microwaves can do so much more these days! but sometimes it just can't work. and a grill on the balcony scenario is responsible for so many fires!
Copperhead said:
seashanty said:
Exactly. But I think Mom is paying and the price for that is steep here. Frankly the summer program organizer should set up housing options for these young (barely) adults.

Copperhead said:
seashanty said:
Exactly. But I think Mom is paying and the price for that is steep here. Frankly the summer program organizer should set up housing options for these young (barely) adults.
If they are young (barely) adults, they won't do much cooking in eight weeks anyway. Her Mom could buy a George Foreman grill (the sandwich/meat press kind), and a toaster to help out with the microwave. But surely they understand that you can't allow open flame. And they are renting a room in a B&B, for crying out loud. It's not an apartment.

One of many reasons I don't like long term calls.
Others are how comfortable the person will get, wandering adding in pjs on days off, wanting to use the laundry, me never having the house to myself.

Last year I had an intern at a local TV station for 11 weeks. His parents booked him here for same reason - safer. He used guest fridge & nuker - period. So far, all my long terms have been very quiet and very neat. Jut had 2 brothers from Bald Knob (you know where that is Arks?) who were so quiet we had to see if the truck was here to know they were in.

omy, yes! what about laundry? will she be going to the laundromat or hanging her wet clothes rinsed in the tub on the light fixtures a la maddie's place?
wink_smile.gif

Last year I had an intern at a local TV station for 11 weeks. His parents booked him here for same reason - safer. He used guest fridge & nuker - period. So far, all my long terms have been very quiet and very neat. Jut had 2 brothers from Bald Knob (you know where that is Arks?) who were so quiet we had to see if the truck was here to know they were in.
gillumhouse said:
Jut had 2 brothers from Bald Knob (you know where that is Arks?) who were so quiet we had to see if the truck was here to know they were in.
Bald Knob is just south of here. It's where we always get our first strawberries of the season. They likely passed by my place on their way there!

Copperhead said:
seashanty said:
If they are young (barely) adults, they won't do much cooking in eight weeks anyway. Her Mom could buy a George Foreman grill (the sandwich/meat press kind), and a toaster to help out with the microwave. But surely they understand that you can't allow open flame. And they are renting a room in a B&B, for crying out loud. It's not an apartment.
A Geo. F. grill will not cook the type of food she wants to cook. She has a wok and she knows how to use it. lol

omy, yes! what about laundry? will she be going to the laundromat or hanging her wet clothes rinsed in the tub on the light fixtures a la maddie's place?
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
wink_smile.gif
or out on my balcony railing for the whole world to see!
cry_smile.gif

Others are how comfortable the person will get, wandering adding in pjs on days off, wanting to use the laundry, me never having the house to myself.
I wanna wear my PJs on a day off.... of course, I would also like to have a day off....

OR undies! Long term stay and the dude got too settled in!

Long story but the dude was told that ain't happenin' here!

So, this is what's happening as I write this. The husband won't even speak to me or make eye contact. They told me that they would bring food that didn't need to be heated. Low and behold they showed up with a very large hotplate that they plugged into the wall in the dining room and heated all their food themselves. That's fine. I let them use my dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. and they left the a huge mess for me to clean up. They also ate every single complimentary snack that was left out. They just asked for more dishes so they can have dessert later on, and candles and another knife. I gave them paper plates. When I asked about breakfast tomorrow the wife was happy to eat early, 8 a.m. Then the husband asked what is the absolute latest they can eat and then picks that time; 9:30. I can literally feel my hackles getting up. I know he will be demanding and rude tomorrow morning. In hindsight I should've just said no to any outside food being brought in for 5 people. It's just too much. Dreading the morning.
sad_smile.gif

Back