Food from home

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, this is what's happening as I write this. The husband won't even speak to me or make eye contact. They told me that they would bring food that didn't need to be heated. Low and behold they showed up with a very large hotplate that they plugged into the wall in the dining room and heated all their food themselves. That's fine. I let them use my dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. and they left the a huge mess for me to clean up. They also ate every single complimentary snack that was left out. They just asked for more dishes so they can have dessert later on, and candles and another knife. I gave them paper plates. When I asked about breakfast tomorrow the wife was happy to eat early, 8 a.m. Then the husband asked what is the absolute latest they can eat and then picks that time; 9:30. I can literally feel my hackles getting up. I know he will be demanding and rude tomorrow morning. In hindsight I should've just said no to any outside food being brought in for 5 people. It's just too much. Dreading the morning.
sad_smile.gif
Oh no...I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It is so important to remember our boundaries. They have gone WAAAAAY past them.

So, this is what's happening as I write this. The husband won't even speak to me or make eye contact. They told me that they would bring food that didn't need to be heated. Low and behold they showed up with a very large hotplate that they plugged into the wall in the dining room and heated all their food themselves. That's fine. I let them use my dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. and they left the a huge mess for me to clean up. They also ate every single complimentary snack that was left out. They just asked for more dishes so they can have dessert later on, and candles and another knife. I gave them paper plates. When I asked about breakfast tomorrow the wife was happy to eat early, 8 a.m. Then the husband asked what is the absolute latest they can eat and then picks that time; 9:30. I can literally feel my hackles getting up. I know he will be demanding and rude tomorrow morning. In hindsight I should've just said no to any outside food being brought in for 5 people. It's just too much. Dreading the morning.
sad_smile.gif
Soon it will be a memory that will keep it from EVER happening again. Bringing food? Oh, here is the number of a self-catering cottage.
And the man will not make eye contact because he KNOWS he is being an ass.

sad_smile.gif
We should start a new thread entitled "why I don't like groups".
I think we all kind of figured there would be a mess. And that they would want more than their fair share.
Don't worry about the morning, it's another day.

sad_smile.gif
Oh brother! Well you knew they were going to be a pain before they even got there. As Gillum said they will be gone soon and just be a for ever memory why you have new policies.
All those dishes & clean up
angry_smile.gif
, now you can sit back and if this were ever to come up again tell them use of dining room & dishes for an evening get together will be $$, as the work is more than what you charge for the room.

Eckhart.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I needed to read this morning. Thank you all for your great support and advice. I learned a lot from this situation and I won't make the same mistake next time.

So sorry countrygirl.
angry_smile.gif
"They stay they pay they go away" is hitting the airwaves for you!
A non innkeeper or new innkeeper would say to the start of this thread "you are customer service, this will make happy guests, they will tell all their friends...do it!" and the experienced innkeepers say "Groups" (and 5 people are officially a group) are always demanding and will squeeze blood from a turnip. You knew in advance they would consume your time and energy and not be grateful, but feel entitled to it because they paid for a room.
When you book "a room" you don't book the innkeeper, her time, her kitchen, and her dish washing and cleaning up. People will always push the boundaries. Always. I have had this Friday and I am here to say "NEVER AGAIN!" Being nice, you know when nice is good and nice is bad. Yes NICE CAN BE BAD.
My honeymooners just left with a pre 7am breakfast, stopped at the door thanked me so appreciative, have an early flight. They got in really late. No hassle. The other breaching my boundaries we had this weekend, ugh.
sad_smile.gif

Eckhart.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I needed to read this morning. Thank you all for your great support and advice. I learned a lot from this situation and I won't make the same mistake next time..
Kid, LIFE is a learning curve - when we stop leanrning, we are dead! And one CAN be dead and still vertical.

Over the years I've gone out of my way to accommodate people like this. I've taken in couples with babies when they've got turned away at other places, allowed people to heat food in MY kitchen, moved furniture around to accommodate peoples wishes, got special items in for breakfast for special requirements.
And do you know what I've got from those people in the way of tips, return visits, glowing reviews of how I went out of my way, recommendations......
a big fat ZERO.

Over the years I've gone out of my way to accommodate people like this. I've taken in couples with babies when they've got turned away at other places, allowed people to heat food in MY kitchen, moved furniture around to accommodate peoples wishes, got special items in for breakfast for special requirements.
And do you know what I've got from those people in the way of tips, return visits, glowing reviews of how I went out of my way, recommendations......
a big fat ZERO..
We had a guest request a rocking chair in their room. We had gotten rid of all the rocking chairs but I dragged one out of the attic in the middle of July just for them.
When I pointed out the rocking chair and said we'd moved it into the room specially at their request they looked dumb. Maybe it was a translation error on their part when they asked for it. Who knows.
Their review, which I had to translate, was not good. They said it was very rustic but not in a good way.
I'm not sure what they were expecting. It's pretty clear on the website and from the address that we are not in the middle of nowhere.
I would never expect a b&b located on High St in your neck of the woods to be on a quiet side street! Or out in a field.
So, one of my newer mantras is to offer those services and amenities and perks and discounts and upgrades that I want to offer when I want to offer them because I want to offer them and for no other reason.
Thanks are nice but that's not the reason. Reviews are nice but not the reason. Tips are nice but not the reason.

a big fat ZERO..
Highlands John said:
a big fat ZERO.
Yep.
Then those you least expect who you do not do anything extra for, leave a nice gratuity and or a card, or review. Amazing isn't it.
Maddie, your rocking chair story is like my footstool story "She must have a footstool for a chair" what-the heck ever. They came back to check out at 4pm and expected not to pay for THAT day. The weasels.

a big fat ZERO..
My last 3 out of 5 review... bunch of allergies and umpteen emails back and forth. Oh and they were FoD as well. Brought down my TA as well....

Ah, all is well. They are gone. Turns out 4 out of the 5 were great. Just one bad apple, and he tried to ruin it for the rest of them, but they wouldn't let him. They were happy as clams and told me so. No guests now for 2 days. I am taking a deep, deep breath. I may even take a hike or go for a bike ride. Thanks everyone.

Ah, all is well. They are gone. Turns out 4 out of the 5 were great. Just one bad apple, and he tried to ruin it for the rest of them, but they wouldn't let him. They were happy as clams and told me so. No guests now for 2 days. I am taking a deep, deep breath. I may even take a hike or go for a bike ride. Thanks everyone..
Yippee! Go for a hike! Great idea!

a big fat ZERO..
Highlands John said:
Maybe you make it look too easy to get it done. I wonder if there's some way to make it sound like it wasn't easy to make the special request happen for them. Perhaps that would occasionally make some difference in expressions of appreciation.
Not rolling your eyes and making it sound like you're really inconvenienced to do it, but maybe say, "I can't make any promises but I will make an extra effort to try to make this happen for you." Or something like that. Then if you can't do it, at least you tried. And if you come through, they might appreciate it!

a big fat ZERO..
Highlands John said:
Maybe you make it look too easy to get it done. I wonder if there's some way to make it sound like it wasn't easy to make the special request happen for them. Perhaps that would occasionally make some difference in expressions of appreciation.
Not rolling your eyes and making it sound like you're really inconvenienced to do it, but maybe say, "I can't make any promises but I will make an extra effort to try to make this happen for you." Or something like that. Then if you can't do it, at least you tried. And if you come through, they might appreciate it!
Arks said:
Highlands John said:
Corporations are filled with people who do this. I used to tell dh all the time to stop making it look so easy. Sure it IS easy, but don't make it look that way.
BTW, the folks who worked like everything was a chore? Still there. Folks who did the work without the grandstanding? Own a b&b. ;-)

So sorry countrygirl.
angry_smile.gif
"They stay they pay they go away" is hitting the airwaves for you!
A non innkeeper or new innkeeper would say to the start of this thread "you are customer service, this will make happy guests, they will tell all their friends...do it!" and the experienced innkeepers say "Groups" (and 5 people are officially a group) are always demanding and will squeeze blood from a turnip. You knew in advance they would consume your time and energy and not be grateful, but feel entitled to it because they paid for a room.
When you book "a room" you don't book the innkeeper, her time, her kitchen, and her dish washing and cleaning up. People will always push the boundaries. Always. I have had this Friday and I am here to say "NEVER AGAIN!" Being nice, you know when nice is good and nice is bad. Yes NICE CAN BE BAD.
My honeymooners just left with a pre 7am breakfast, stopped at the door thanked me so appreciative, have an early flight. They got in really late. No hassle. The other breaching my boundaries we had this weekend, ugh.
sad_smile.gif
I was thinking the same thing JB. A lot of new innkeepers or aspiring innkeepers would think we're a bunch of grouchy old innkeepers who don't recognize hospitality because we wouldn't go the extra 50 yards for these people. Now that Country Girl has described how bad the situation was, it just goes to show that experience trumps all.
So sorry Country Girl that you had to go through all that. Glad it's over and you deserve that break!

Ah, all is well. They are gone. Turns out 4 out of the 5 were great. Just one bad apple, and he tried to ruin it for the rest of them, but they wouldn't let him. They were happy as clams and told me so. No guests now for 2 days. I am taking a deep, deep breath. I may even take a hike or go for a bike ride. Thanks everyone..
Watch out for those black flies!

a big fat ZERO..
Ditto..nada, zip, nothing

we were warned about taking groups. We didn't listen. Wedding group this past weekend. Cigarettes put out in my little ceramic table centerpieces (on the porch). then there were the butts that didn't stay in the ceramics and made it to the mahogany deck. And of course, the beer cans on the lawn. Bet the neighbors loved it. I wouldn't know. I was in Roanoke. Nephew was in charge. He brought them a better ashtray. A one night stay and one time only. Probably the best thing.
Roanoke was lovely. :) It was a whirlwind.

we were warned about taking groups. We didn't listen. Wedding group this past weekend. Cigarettes put out in my little ceramic table centerpieces (on the porch). then there were the butts that didn't stay in the ceramics and made it to the mahogany deck. And of course, the beer cans on the lawn. Bet the neighbors loved it. I wouldn't know. I was in Roanoke. Nephew was in charge. He brought them a better ashtray. A one night stay and one time only. Probably the best thing.
Roanoke was lovely. :) It was a whirlwind.
We all get warned about each area's bugaboos. Here, for us, it was camp parents. People who come to see their kids on visiting day.
We were in a sweat the first year. Everyone wanted to rebook on the way or the door. We told them we would contact them in Jan when we had the new pricing schedule in place.
They all groaned.
As it was, the same four families, unrelated, stayed with us for five years.
But, as a whole, it was a 'group'. Like-minded, here for the same purpose.
After the first year we never had a bit of trouble (now we understood them) and we were sorry when all the kids graduated camp the same year.
We really never had the problem families some places did.

Back