Innkeeping Pet Peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"These folk usually bring their own food and appreciate a B&B that accomodates them eating their own food in the dining room (try that at a restaurant). If they have special needs, I expect them to bring their own food and I have a nice guest fridge for them to keep it in."
We're going into our 11th season and never once has someone with a dietary issue brought their own food for breakfast.They have all expected us to work with their restrictions. Most of the time I don't even get a thank you for going the extra mile..
We are in our 17th and still have yet to see someone arrive with their own food.
Maybe for you it is regional or big city -- I can't remember where BD lives. I am Pacific NW, just outside a college town.
I get travelers with a supply of personal snack goodies and occasionally fruit (usually well aged) or even leftovers they bring to the table (mainly because they feel bad about wasting their own food, but then they leave it largely untouched for me to clear and compost). Table service is individual so it doesn't bother others and it doesn't bother me. Had a teenager who ate her leftover hamburger for breakfast and then ate a 3-egg omlette as well.
I'd guess about 2% of guests have had extreme diets: raw food, ultra vegan, and ... raw food vegan; they bring their own and I'll add what I can. I just don't have enough fruit on hand to meet the caloric needs of a couple eating only fruit.
But another 5% supplement what I serve with something they think they need and can't count on getting on the road: a particlar brand of sweetener, diet pepsi instead of coffee for breakfast, herbal teas, a brand of cereal they particularly like, a brand of gluten free bread they trust (and have been carrying around for a week !).

"These folk usually bring their own food and appreciate a B&B that accomodates them eating their own food in the dining room (try that at a restaurant). If they have special needs, I expect them to bring their own food and I have a nice guest fridge for them to keep it in."
We're going into our 11th season and never once has someone with a dietary issue brought their own food for breakfast.They have all expected us to work with their restrictions. Most of the time I don't even get a thank you for going the extra mile..
We are in our 17th and still have yet to see someone arrive with their own food.
Maybe for you it is regional or big city -- I can't remember where BD lives. I am Pacific NW, just outside a college town.
I get travelers with a supply of personal snack goodies and occasionally fruit (usually well aged) or even leftovers they bring to the table (mainly because they feel bad about wasting their own food, but then they leave it largely untouched for me to clear and compost). Table service is individual so it doesn't bother others and it doesn't bother me. Had a teenager who ate her leftover hamburger for breakfast and then ate a 3-egg omlette as well.
I'd guess about 2% of guests have had extreme diets: raw food, ultra vegan, and ... raw food vegan; they bring their own and I'll add what I can. I just don't have enough fruit on hand to meet the caloric needs of a couple eating only fruit.
But another 5% supplement what I serve with something they think they need and can't count on getting on the road: a particlar brand of sweetener, diet pepsi instead of coffee for breakfast, herbal teas, a brand of cereal they particularly like, a brand of gluten free bread they trust (and have been carrying around for a week !).
Tom, I'm also in the Pacific NW and only a couple hours from you. It's unexplainable how our experiences can be so different!

I've never made a 3 egg omelette in my life.... they are all 2 egg omelettes around here. But I also use a crepe pan to make them.
We once had a family from California that had a leftover poutine in the fridge. Any local knows that you can't keep leftover poutine... it's just trash. There is no way to rewarm it. But they rewarmed it and the son ate it, while we all cringed.
I have plenty of people put leftovers in the fridge. Some who actually take it with them when they leave.
Yes, I have had a few bring their own herbal tea, or sweetener, but that is as far as it has gone. And thankfully no Pepsi at the breakfast table. (I'm all colours of green just thinking of that.)

Breakfast Diva said:
We're going into our 11th season and never once has someone with a dietary issue brought their own food for breakfast.They have all expected us to work with their restrictions. Most of the time I don't even get a thank you for going the extra mile.
We had guests not only bring their own 'food', they brought their own blender and hot plate! And they piled it all up on the kitchen counter and then wanted to wash everything in the sink. It was quite the mess and quite the stink but they waited until everyone else was done and cleaned up very well.

Tom said:
Diet Coke and one guy who shows up with a box of mini donuts every morning. He offers them around but everyone else thinks he's nutso so they don't take any. We get a lot of guests who bring their own tea.

Tom, I'm also in the Pacific NW and only a couple hours from you. It's unexplainable how our experiences can be so different!
Breakfast Diva said:
We regularly trade stories with innkeepers in our town and we're amazed at the differences with what certain guests expect at one place vs another. Friends have had guests shove frozen pizza at them and TELL them to bring it to their room when it's cooked. Minutes from me, not hours. I am constantly amazed.

Tom said:
Diet Coke and one guy who shows up with a box of mini donuts every morning. He offers them around but everyone else thinks he's nutso so they don't take any. We get a lot of guests who bring their own tea.
Alibi Ike said:
We get a lot of guests who bring their own tea.
I had a guy who brought his own coffee... claimed it was "low acid", says he buys in bulk, but it came in a Starbucks bag

Breakfast Diva said:
We're going into our 11th season and never once has someone with a dietary issue brought their own food for breakfast.They have all expected us to work with their restrictions. Most of the time I don't even get a thank you for going the extra mile.
We had guests not only bring their own 'food', they brought their own blender and hot plate! And they piled it all up on the kitchen counter and then wanted to wash everything in the sink. It was quite the mess and quite the stink but they waited until everyone else was done and cleaned up very well.
Wow! By law, the only cooking appliance a guest could use when they simply rent a room is... a microwave. A hot plate would not only violate my insurance, it would violate city ordinances. (Rooming house, where people rent by the month have the same restriction.)
I don't even know what I would do. I've had people ask if they can cook and I have repeatedly told them no. They need to go to a "tourist home" as it is legally called here to do that. I can't allow it in the B&B.

are we back to pet peeves yet?
1. Not flushing the toilet
2. Flushed the toilet but left a significant amount of $H!T all around the bowl .. every day .. even when I left the toilet brush directly in front of the toilet just in case he missed seeing it at the side. Yes it's a "normal body function" but thank you keep it to yourself
and I am sorry but it's usually male guests ...

Breakfast Diva said:
Wow! By law, the only cooking appliance a guest could use when they simply rent a room is... a microwave. A hot plate would not only violate my insurance, it would violate city ordinances. (Rooming house, where people rent by the month have the same restriction.)
I don't even know what I would do. I've had people ask if they can cook and I have repeatedly told them no. They need to go to a "tourist home" as it is legally called here to do that. I can't allow it in the B&B.
It wasn't a hot plate in the general sense of it. It was a food warmer, no exposed heating surfaces.

Tom said:
Alibi Ike said:
I had a guy who brought his own coffee... claimed it was "low acid", says he buys in bulk, but it came in a Starbucks bag
Innkeep said:
Alibi Ike said:
We have guests who bring the whole setup- coffee machine, filters, coffee, creamers. It surprised me the first time but now it just is what it is.

Tom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Innkeep said:
Alibi Ike said:
We have guests who bring the whole setup- coffee machine, filters, coffee, creamers. It surprised me the first time but now it just is what it is.
Only once have guests (to my knowledge) dug into their stuff and come up with an espresso maker. That was after they found out I could roast some Sumatra coffee for them. Cannot count how many ice chests have been dragged upstairs!

Tom said:
Alibi Ike said:
Innkeep said:
Alibi Ike said:
A raw food couple brought their own coffee (counts as a drug, not a food, so can be roasted), French press, and bottled water. Actually quite a few people travel with their own water - I have to persuade them that ours is better (no chlorine, pH 8.4, 172 ppm TDS, 27 ppm hardness).
BD is right about different B&B styles - not just the guests they attract, but how guests react once they are there. With individual table service here maybe they act more at home or less formal. And, GB, the young lady requested the three eggs when I asked if she wanted anything at all after the burger (she weighs maybe 115).
Customer service.

we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice.
we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice
That's all well and good, but if a guest has informed us that they require gluten free ahead of time, we've already planned their meals and bought the requisite ingredients. They would piss me off if they showed up carrying their own food. What I'm I supposed to do with the tasteless cardboard $hit that I just bought for them? I'm not eating it!

we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice.
we had a family arrive with their own bread (gluten free) I said oh Id have bought it for you but they said they get it free on perscription so didn't think it was fair to make me buy it as they knew it is expensive. which was nice
That's all well and good, but if a guest has informed us that they require gluten free ahead of time, we've already planned their meals and bought the requisite ingredients. They would piss me off if they showed up carrying their own food. What I'm I supposed to do with the tasteless cardboard $hit that I just bought for them? I'm not eating it!
In Britain, gluten-free bread is available to those on National Health at no cost. See http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle/food-on-prescription
Proud Texan said:

In Britain, gluten-free bread is available to those on National Health at no cost. See http://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-lifestyle/food-on-prescription
Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Proud Texan said:
We have to pay for it (dearly) in the U.S. That's the biggest gripe. We go to extra expense (comes out of our bottom line) and trouble for guests that are typically unappreciative of the effort.

Okay, today I had a FAKE egg allergy. Can't people be adult enough to just tell you that they don't like eggs? Do I really have to pull all that vegan stuff out of the freezer only to find out that you just don't like fried eggs, french toast and pancakes?
Challenging them with the duck egg question often works. Most people with chicken egg allergies aren't allergic to duck eggs, but the fakers who don't like eggs usually say they are allergic to both. And then you ask them if they are carrying their epi pen and they say no.
Worst yet... why the heck does it bother me so much that they just blatently LIE to me about it?

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Proud Texan said:
We have to pay for it (dearly) in the U.S. That's the biggest gripe. We go to extra expense (comes out of our bottom line) and trouble for guests that are typically unappreciative of the effort.
That is why I keep the flours on hand to make a loaf of the gluten-free. Mine tastes better and if they do bring theirs, I have impressed the heck out of them that I did it. I send it home with them because I am not eating it either.

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Proud Texan said:
That is why I keep the flours on hand to make a loaf of the gluten-free. Mine tastes better and if they do bring theirs, I have impressed the heck out of them that I did it. I send it home with them because I am not eating it either.
gillumhouse said:
Okay, you got me... is the recipe posted? Want to share? I'm using the frozen stuff.

Proud Texan said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Proud Texan said:
gillumhouse said:
Okay, you got me... is the recipe posted? Want to share? I'm using the frozen stuff.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
gillumhouse said:
Just go to http://www.celiac.com/ That is where I got my recipes. I keep brown rice, white rice, tapioca, potato, soy flours and xananthan gum in-house so I can make it whenever. There is also a Red Mill brand all-purpose gluten-free flour mix to just measure out. You MUST use a glass loaf pan or have a pan used only (measuring cups and spoons also) for gluten-free to ensure no cross-contamination.

Back