Please deliver me from....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The folks who come down for breakfast in their jammies. pleeeez....
I have a wonderful mix of guests here all the time....young, old and in-between. I LOVE my young guests, but I do have to say, if anyone is going to come down for breakfast in jammies, it's the youngsters. (But let me say, 99% of them wouldn't think of it.) I tried hard not to treat them differently than anyone else yesterday, and figured they'd get the idea when everyone else had dressed (and most had showered!) before breakfast----I figured they'd dress this morning. But no.
Pajama Boy comes down with (our) robe flapping and white sox. To be honest, I don't know what he has under there besides a T-shirt (please God let there be pants of some sort) because I always only catch him from the back before he sits down. Pajama Girl comes in dark T-shirt and plaid long jammie pants.
Actually, is it okay to slap a guest upside the head? Pajama Boy hasn't made eye contact with me yet, and he's been here two days. I smile brightly, ask questions, and he never takes his eye off the newspaper and sometimes grunts.
Best part---they're here two more days..
Seriously?? NOBODY is going to give me permission to slap the Grunting Pajama Boy??

I have a wonderful mix of guests here all the time....young, old and in-between. I LOVE my young guests, but I do have to say, if anyone is going to come down for breakfast in jammies, it's the youngsters. (But let me say, 99% of them wouldn't think of it.) I tried hard not to treat them differently than anyone else yesterday, and figured they'd get the idea when everyone else had dressed (and most had showered!) before breakfast----I figured they'd dress this morning. But no.
Pajama Boy comes down with (our) robe flapping and white sox. To be honest, I don't know what he has under there besides a T-shirt (please God let there be pants of some sort) because I always only catch him from the back before he sits down. Pajama Girl comes in dark T-shirt and plaid long jammie pants.
Actually, is it okay to slap a guest upside the head? Pajama Boy hasn't made eye contact with me yet, and he's been here two days. I smile brightly, ask questions, and he never takes his eye off the newspaper and sometimes grunts.
Seriously?? NOBODY is going to give me permission to slap the Grunting Pajama Boy??
InnBloom said:
Only because he is grunting, not because of the pj's...go ahead. With a fry pan...

InnBloom said:
Only because he is grunting, not because of the pj's...go ahead. With a fry pan...
Thanks....I needed that!
teeth_smile.gif

Ugh! The Drive-by's (one nighters) in my cottage have been a complete PITA before they even showe up! Tell me they'll be here at 4, show up at 6:45. Of course this is on a day when I would have liked to have gone to the neighborhood picnic at 5 and said I would be there.
Then, whey they show up, they march right into my kitchen, breezing right past the 'private' sign on the kitchen door. I almost ran smack into the guy. Then they want this and that and directions and suggestions to everywhere. Then they complain about security (we're in the country, for pete's sake!! have never had a cow or other farm animal break-in to steal anything)
This morning at breakfast, they want turkey sausage, having never mentioned that they don't care for pork. Of course, I made pork for everyone else, so the remainder of their breakfast was probably cold while I tried to hurry up and make the turkey sausage. The guy brings his very large travel mug and fills it several times. Then, the woman says to me, "oh, with such perfect reviews on Trip Advisor, that's why we chose this place, you just hate to be the first one who says anything negative." OMG!! THis is after the lady compliments me on the room and the hot tub and how lovely everything is, especially the complimentary port and wine.
Just waiting for the review at this point...lord help me!

Ugh! The Drive-by's (one nighters) in my cottage have been a complete PITA before they even showe up! Tell me they'll be here at 4, show up at 6:45. Of course this is on a day when I would have liked to have gone to the neighborhood picnic at 5 and said I would be there.
Then, whey they show up, they march right into my kitchen, breezing right past the 'private' sign on the kitchen door. I almost ran smack into the guy. Then they want this and that and directions and suggestions to everywhere. Then they complain about security (we're in the country, for pete's sake!! have never had a cow or other farm animal break-in to steal anything)
This morning at breakfast, they want turkey sausage, having never mentioned that they don't care for pork. Of course, I made pork for everyone else, so the remainder of their breakfast was probably cold while I tried to hurry up and make the turkey sausage. The guy brings his very large travel mug and fills it several times. Then, the woman says to me, "oh, with such perfect reviews on Trip Advisor, that's why we chose this place, you just hate to be the first one who says anything negative." OMG!! THis is after the lady compliments me on the room and the hot tub and how lovely everything is, especially the complimentary port and wine.
Just waiting for the review at this point...lord help me!.
Dontcha just love 'em.

Oh good grief. Did she indicate what the negative thing might be?
Sorry you have these folks there.

AARRGGHH!!!!!!!!

pita.gif

Steam is coming out of my ears for you...what a you-know-what! Good bye and good riddance.

Sorry that you are having such problems. Keep all the proof that you can, if you can. Here are the instructions on how to handle it, if and when they do review.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/threatened_bad_review
We figure that bad reviews are inevitable. Most people who threaten, don't bother. But management responses can be a wonderful tool and a great place to write things... and they can't reply. You may be VERY lucky and never see anything from them. Pointing out that they went into private areas of your home might put the review in perspective for anyone reading the review.

Sorry that you are having such problems. Keep all the proof that you can, if you can. Here are the instructions on how to handle it, if and when they do review.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/threatened_bad_review
We figure that bad reviews are inevitable. Most people who threaten, don't bother. But management responses can be a wonderful tool and a great place to write things... and they can't reply. You may be VERY lucky and never see anything from them. Pointing out that they went into private areas of your home might put the review in perspective for anyone reading the review.
had an impassioned call from my godmother this morning in a similar situation had a large hen party in who on checking out (they pay on arrival) were insisting on a full refund or they would be putting a bad review on trip adviser. Had a good laugh at this as this particular property is 68 of 69 in our town which they pointed out to her. she said well one more bad one won't make any difference will it? I thought well good for you. threatened her with the TIC, trading standards and the council. I find this hilarious as she has had all three out this year already and did nothing! Told her she should have said "Bring it on!" made me laugh anyway! plus if they knew the ranking and read the reviews why on earth did they book there?
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d1013747-Reviews-The_Aston_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Pointing out that they went into private areas of your home might put the review in perspective for anyone reading the review.
Good one. Immediately shows the guests are trouble.

had an impassioned call from my godmother this morning in a similar situation had a large hen party in who on checking out (they pay on arrival) were insisting on a full refund or they would be putting a bad review on trip adviser. Had a good laugh at this as this particular property is 68 of 69 in our town which they pointed out to her. she said well one more bad one won't make any difference will it? I thought well good for you. threatened her with the TIC, trading standards and the council. I find this hilarious as she has had all three out this year already and did nothing! Told her she should have said "Bring it on!" made me laugh anyway! plus if they knew the ranking and read the reviews why on earth did they book there?
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187046-d1013747-Reviews-The_Aston_Hotel-Harrogate_North_Yorkshire_England.html
What a great response to them. Maybe they even booked in thinking the reviews are bad so we'll get it for free by saying so when we leave.
I wish she could pull things together and get everything sorted so she can get some good reviews. It's gotta drag her down.

What a great response to them. Maybe they even booked in thinking the reviews are bad so we'll get it for free by saying so when we leave.
I wish she could pull things together and get everything sorted so she can get some good reviews. It's gotta drag her down.
Trouble is it is all about money on the Harrogate restaurant she owes 90 thousand back rent, at least the same maybe more on the Durham restaurant and who knows about leeds. She payed over the odds for the ruskin about 1.2 million for 8 bedrooms which is not enough to support that kind of mortgage and she is in negative equity for the other 4 so the bank is really pushing her to sell something which to be fair she is trying to do ie they are on the market but she is asking far to much ie the one next door to me is on for 1.2 million and it will need at least 400 thousand spending to put it right well who has that kind of money? or can borrow it? so nothing is shifting. All the mortgages are interest only so she isn't even making progress there! she has several houses but refuses to sell them as they are "making a profit" ie she has 4 lithuanians to a room paying rent but I know the one up the road from me is interest only and the morgage is 3 thousand a month so thats a lot to cover then bills on top! trouble is she has no head for figures got 200 and 2000 mixed up the other day as went to a hardwear shop which is closing down and told me she had spent 2000 on paint and bought 40 cans well unless they are solid gold it wouldn't have cost £2000.
She is basically bankrupt she just doesn't know it yet. It is a shame but she has made this mess for herself.

I'm telling you... that's good compared to http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155032-d568234-Reviews-Hotel_Eureka-Montreal_Quebec.html which has a 94% thumbs down rating... and last weekend, was FULLY BOOKED!
At that point, take the money and damned with the hens. They were cheap in the first place, but were hoping for cheaper. Did they come for the peelers or to arrested by the peelers? :D

The family of 4 who are split into two rooms, who all showered in one bathroom today because "something is wrong with the shower in that room". What is wrong is that the curtains have to go INSIDE the clawfoot tub, or else all the water runs out onto the floor! The poor rug got the worst of it, it is sopping.

We've got one of those hotels here, too. Well, at least one that a lot of people complain about on T/A:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52970-d225494-Reviews-Hotel_Brunswick-Lancaster_Lancaster_County_Pennsylvania.html
Why, why, why don't people read these things BEFORE they stay??.
I see TA has a new format. At the bottom of my listing/reviews I saw "Travelers who viewed your B&B also viewed..." I find this very helpful! The ones I saw viewed are in our nearby CITY! We are in the chamber/visitor's bureau there are neighboring lodging, so this is good info (for me).

We've got one of those hotels here, too. Well, at least one that a lot of people complain about on T/A:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g52970-d225494-Reviews-Hotel_Brunswick-Lancaster_Lancaster_County_Pennsylvania.html
I see TA has a new format. At the bottom of my listing/reviews I saw "Travelers who viewed your B&B also viewed..." I find this very helpful! The ones I saw viewed are in our nearby CITY! We are in the chamber/visitor's bureau there are neighboring lodging, so this is good info (for me).
Have a look at your TA listing. I looked at a few innmates, add a higher rez image to fill in the main photo, I see this as a selling point, some have awesome images right there when you click on the inn. :)

1 - they book on purpose to get a free stay
2. -- It can't be that bad brigade
3 - last place to stay (this is the case next door but there is a reason they have rooms left!)
4 - they are idiots
5 - they only look on the place itsself's web site - "Oh it looked nice on the web site" yes cos they aint going to take pictures of what it is really like are they?

Back