Rez Key down?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess is he doesn't know about it. But when he does he's going to be like " OH SH@t!!!!"
He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!.
This is John's answer: Sorry about the bug. Yes, it was related to the new trash feature. And no, I don't have an emergency number unfortunately. I was working on this right before I went to sleep for the night, which is why I wasn't able to respond sooner. I think the lesson is don't release new features right before going to sleep. Very sorry about the inconvenience. I also am looking possibly bringing in another person or two in the future which would help in situations like these.
He fell asleep and the system was down for 12.5 hours. Not cool. He does need to have a fail-safe plan in place. I also think that sometimes he's a bit laissez-faire or in denial about the impact of some situations, like not acknowledging the slooooow reload speed of the system for almost three months. Or the manual reservations that still go missing. The more folks who say "Me too" the more he realizes it's not just a few of us being impacted. He needs an assistant now! Like innkeeping, this is a 24/7 job. On the other hand, he has always been responsive to my many requests for tweaks and upgrades. Let's hope he sees how many voiced their dismay and takes action like any successful exec should.
I used to be in systems work in a previous life. It was a mandate that you NEVER make major changes on a weekend. And certainly not a weekend where workers might be on an extended break.
This applies to anyone, not picking on John.

My guess is he doesn't know about it. But when he does he's going to be like " OH SH@t!!!!"
He really needs to have an Emergancy way of contacting him! This has been a worry for awhile. John is a business with one person. If something happens to him God for bid. We are all screwed!.
This is John's answer: Sorry about the bug. Yes, it was related to the new trash feature. And no, I don't have an emergency number unfortunately. I was working on this right before I went to sleep for the night, which is why I wasn't able to respond sooner. I think the lesson is don't release new features right before going to sleep. Very sorry about the inconvenience. I also am looking possibly bringing in another person or two in the future which would help in situations like these.
He fell asleep and the system was down for 12.5 hours. Not cool. He does need to have a fail-safe plan in place. I also think that sometimes he's a bit laissez-faire or in denial about the impact of some situations, like not acknowledging the slooooow reload speed of the system for almost three months. Or the manual reservations that still go missing. The more folks who say "Me too" the more he realizes it's not just a few of us being impacted. He needs an assistant now! Like innkeeping, this is a 24/7 job. On the other hand, he has always been responsive to my many requests for tweaks and upgrades. Let's hope he sees how many voiced their dismay and takes action like any successful exec should.
I used to be in systems work in a previous life. It was a mandate that you NEVER make major changes on a weekend. And certainly not a weekend where workers might be on an extended break.
This applies to anyone, not picking on John.
Yes, Poppa was a systems info manager too for a major DC area bank. He was in charge of development and implementation of newfangled Online Checking back in the day. Our phone rang at all hours of the night in the late 90s into Y2K. And support staff was always in place as a backup during major changes.

Unfortuntately S*#t Happens! and no system is perfect 24/7/365.It is not possible. I am sure they are as panicked as the rest of you. Take a deep breath...you can be assured they will fix it...it just takes some time. Give them a break!.
I think what everyone is upset about is the fact there is not an Emergancy contact to reach him. The problem has been corrected but for almost 8 hrs hundreds of properties could not run their businesses the way they needed too. I know things happen and they will again. That's normal. But if a guests got locked out of their room for 8 hours and could not reach the Innkeeper they would not be happy. John needs to reach out to 3-4 properties across the globe who regularly use the system everyday. He can have a cheap cell phone he keeps for an Emergancy only. Then if the system does gone down like last night, he can have a simple call made by those properties and he can fix the problem. I know if he has an Emergancy number just posted people will bother him all the time. So he could use a few properties to just let him know in an Emergancy. My thoughts....

Unfortuntately S*#t Happens! and no system is perfect 24/7/365.It is not possible. I am sure they are as panicked as the rest of you. Take a deep breath...you can be assured they will fix it...it just takes some time. Give them a break!.
I think what everyone is upset about is the fact there is not an Emergancy contact to reach him. The problem has been corrected but for almost 8 hrs hundreds of properties could not run their businesses the way they needed too. I know things happen and they will again. That's normal. But if a guests got locked out of their room for 8 hours and could not reach the Innkeeper they would not be happy. John needs to reach out to 3-4 properties across the globe who regularly use the system everyday. He can have a cheap cell phone he keeps for an Emergancy only. Then if the system does gone down like last night, he can have a simple call made by those properties and he can fix the problem. I know if he has an Emergancy number just posted people will bother him all the time. So he could use a few properties to just let him know in an Emergancy. My thoughts....
Oops...bad...not having any back up plan especially since he has grown his business so much.You all depend on him and he on you. He needs to hire some backup..the business has grown too large...if he doesn't he may not have any business any longer. Come on John...you have grown your business and that means having help.

If I call in a problem on a weekend, no one answers the phone. But someone is there. They let it go to voicemail, then work on the problem. But they never let you know it's fixed, which is a PITA! Even a posting on the backend to let the inn know the problem has been noted and is being worked on or fixed is a great relief and would take less than a minute for them to do.

Oops...bad...not having any back up plan especially since he has grown his business so much.You all depend on him and he on you. He needs to hire some backup..the business has grown too large...if he doesn't he may not have any business any longer. Come on John...you have grown your business and that means having help.
Hopefully, this will be John's "wake-up call".
wink_smile.gif

Back