Room Notebooks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowSocks

Reaction score
I am way overdue to have these done, and have a self-imposed deadline of next Monday (just before we have a full house).
What do you have in your room notebooks, or wish you had, or plan to put in eventually?
=)
Kk.

general information on the area
our cell and home numbers
will be putting in directions to the drop in emergency clinic - had not thought of this until last Sunday guests confessed that one had eaten something that she knew does not agree with her and was sick and didn't tell us.
short tours of the wineries to self drive if they wish
times of breakfast
RIki

In mine I had our "house rules", fire safety information, menus from our local restaurants, emergency numbers,church informatio, brochures on the various "sites" and activities in our area along with a town map and a county map.
I did these for every room ( 3) so that each could have them rather than them having to come into a guest living room to see them. It worked for me.
Of course after every guest left, I had to check them to see if the maps were still there and brochures..and usually they were. However I always told them on the room tour that they were welcome to take them if they desired.

Everything the guest could possibly ask me if they could find me...
2 pages of where things are in the building and how to use them + the 'rules'.
4-5 pages of restaurants (starting with the closest and working out), with phone numbers, addresses and 'attire'.
5-6 pages of things to do.
Where to find specific things in town...churches, town offices, pharmacy, etc.
A page that describes all the other rooms.
There's an add-on that we get for free- a simplified phone book.
(I'll get a book after I get dressed and let you know if I missed anything...can't go now there are strange men in the house!)

That is what I don't have in ours - churches it would be about 100 pages long in the buckle of the Bible Belt here. Pharmacy I only list if it is an afterhours - otherwise there is one place for everything and 24 hours - StuffMart.

That is what I don't have in ours - churches it would be about 100 pages long in the buckle of the Bible Belt here. Pharmacy I only list if it is an afterhours - otherwise there is one place for everything and 24 hours - StuffMart..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
That is what I don't have in ours - churches it would be about 100 pages long in the buckle of the Bible Belt here. Pharmacy I only list if it is an afterhours - otherwise there is one place for everything and 24 hours - StuffMart.
Being waaaaaaaaaay outside the Bible Belt (not even a suspender, here), I only have 3 churches (one of them Evangelical, if anyone is missing their Bible-thumping home church) and the only folks who ever ask for a church around here are Catholic.

as best i can remember
welcome (reminded them of my name) :)
emergency info, where 'you' are - physical address of place in case guest has to call 911 - nearest hospital, emergency exit info for room (fire exit info was also posted on the inside of each guestroom door)
breakfast time and what to expect, where to find coffee and tea any time, instructions for tv, where to find (maybe) a cell phone signal, wifi instructions and password, how to reach innkeeper, location of spare things
biggest section was area info including restaurants, hours as best i could track them of when general store etc were open, churches, activities, with a highlighted section about places i could provide discount tickets to
i used royal blue loose leaf binders
did all the pages up on the word processor (no back to back in case of changes) and encased each page in a plastic sleeve. this kept them in good shape
in the front of the binders i put various rack cards for area places
the front of the binders had a pocket so i put my favorite sunset picture in there with GUEST INFO in big letters above it
last page was a little note asking guests to advise me of any issues or complaints with their room or stay, or suggestions (got very few complaints, a fair number of suggestions), reminded them of guest book in front hall, told them to help themselves to brochures and free postcards in room and in library, thanked them for their stay and that i'd welcome comments posted online ...........................

as best i can remember
welcome (reminded them of my name) :)
emergency info, where 'you' are - physical address of place in case guest has to call 911 - nearest hospital, emergency exit info for room (fire exit info was also posted on the inside of each guestroom door)
breakfast time and what to expect, where to find coffee and tea any time, instructions for tv, where to find (maybe) a cell phone signal, wifi instructions and password, how to reach innkeeper, location of spare things
biggest section was area info including restaurants, hours as best i could track them of when general store etc were open, churches, activities, with a highlighted section about places i could provide discount tickets to
i used royal blue loose leaf binders
did all the pages up on the word processor (no back to back in case of changes) and encased each page in a plastic sleeve. this kept them in good shape
in the front of the binders i put various rack cards for area places
the front of the binders had a pocket so i put my favorite sunset picture in there with GUEST INFO in big letters above it
last page was a little note asking guests to advise me of any issues or complaints with their room or stay, or suggestions (got very few complaints, a fair number of suggestions), reminded them of guest book in front hall, told them to help themselves to brochures and free postcards in room and in library, thanked them for their stay and that i'd welcome comments posted online ............................
Forgot that...yes, I redid the books last year and bought 3 ring binders with the plastic sleeve on the front. I put a 'decent' inn photo in there with a 'welcome' notice. I matched the color of the notebooks to the room color as best I could.
I printed everything on both sides and I also used the sleeves to put the pages in. Keeps them from getting ratty.

We have 1" binders with pockets:
Front pocket has magazine with article about us :), rack card, events booklet from C&VB. In the binder are several sections with section dividers. First is a "Welcome Letter" - descriptive with our names & cell number and addresses of both buildings for an emergency. Nothing in back pocket yet. Everything is in sheet protectors except the Welcome Letter.
  1. Rooms/Policies - One page with Quick Info (room keys, breakfast time, etc.), Room Info for each particular room, floor plan map with exits, policies
  2. Dining - divided by area & distance from B&B
  3. Entertainment - evening venues, movies, bowling, museums/historic sites, etc.
  4. Services/Local Info - banking/ATMs, Dry cleaners, Golf, Groceries, Hospitals/healthcare, Pharmacies, Places of Worship, tennis, Transportation
  5. Shopping - recommended by 3 different areas
I update it all the time. In fact, we just had some changes in restaurants. I've also tweaked the Quick Info sheet several times. I'll be happy to email it to you off the forum.

I don't have one. Not much around except a gas station, 3 restaurants, a winery and tax business. We have business cards around if someone wants to contact us if we're not around. I do leave pamphlets on the bed: Iowa and Nebraska maps, info on the Loess Hills and Iowa bed and breakfasts.

Front pocket has magazine with article about us :), rack card, events booklet from C&VB. In the binder are several sections with section dividers. First is a "Welcome Letter" - descriptive with our names & cell number and addresses of both buildings for an emergency. Nothing in back pocket yet. Everything is in sheet protectors except the Welcome Letter.
  1. Rooms/Policies - One page with Quick Info (room keys, breakfast time, etc.), Room Info for each particular room, floor plan map with exits, policies
  3. Entertainment - evening venues, movies, bowling, museums/historic sites, etc.
  4. Services/Local Info - banking/ATMs, Dry cleaners, Golf, Groceries, Hospitals/healthcare, Pharmacies, Places of Worship, tennis, Transportation
I update it all the time. In fact, we just had some changes in restaurants. I've also tweaked the Quick Info sheet several times. I'll be happy to email it to you off the forum..
Samster said:
Everything is in sheet protectors except the Welcome Letter.
Why not the letter, too?
Samster said:
I update it all the time. In fact, we just had some changes in restaurants. I've also tweaked the Quick Info sheet several times. I'll be happy to email it to you off the forum.
Yes, I'd appreciate that. Thanks!
=)
Kk.

I update it all the time. In fact, we just had some changes in restaurants. I've also tweaked the Quick Info sheet several times. I'll be happy to email it to you off the forum..
Samster said:
Everything is in sheet protectors except the Welcome Letter.
Why not the letter, too?
Samster said:
Yes, I'd appreciate that. Thanks!
=)
Kk.
I don't know. The letter just looks better on top of the first section divider without being in a sheet protector for some reason. I printed it on this antique looking paper.

by the way, if guests rave babout a particular place to eat or visit ... i include their comments.
or mine: 'the chile at xyz tavern is excellent! not too spicey, a generous bowl served up with warm bread ... they are happy to 'add a bit more zing' if you ask. be sure to tell, tim, the owner, i sent you.'
on the subject of not much in the area - for me, this is when a guest info book is especially helpful -- so guests can find a place to grab a sandwhich that might not be on the main road. it may be some miles away, but it's helpful to know that the little corner market has a deli counter ... open til 6.

by the way, if guests rave babout a particular place to eat or visit ... i include their comments.
or mine: 'the chile at xyz tavern is excellent! not too spicey, a generous bowl served up with warm bread ... they are happy to 'add a bit more zing' if you ask. be sure to tell, tim, the owner, i sent you.'
on the subject of not much in the area - for me, this is when a guest info book is especially helpful -- so guests can find a place to grab a sandwhich that might not be on the main road. it may be some miles away, but it's helpful to know that the little corner market has a deli counter ... open til 6..
Those are great pointers. I have the same thing in ours but haven't added guests' remarks. We have 2 coffee places downtown, one is local, artsy & funky with live music in the evenings and the other one is quiet with big screen TVs and several soft seating areas, locally owned but a franchise - so I talk about how they're different in the book :)

Guest remarks...hm
Had guests comment about our hole-in-the-wall Italian place that is owned and operated by Egyptians. (In other words, NOT Italians)
They said "It was worth the trip just to go there" and Samster, I believe you ate there once, you know the one I speak of? Worth the trip? I don't even eat there, when I have, I don't typically go back. SMOKING is one major reason, you leave and cough all night and smell like an ashtray. But anyway, the food? Nawwww. I have it on there as you can walk to it (one block away) and like mentioned - some guests REALLY like it. Still not sure how, but they do.
It is an enigma.

Guest remarks...hm
Had guests comment about our hole-in-the-wall Italian place that is owned and operated by Egyptians. (In other words, NOT Italians)
They said "It was worth the trip just to go there" and Samster, I believe you ate there once, you know the one I speak of? Worth the trip? I don't even eat there, when I have, I don't typically go back. SMOKING is one major reason, you leave and cough all night and smell like an ashtray. But anyway, the food? Nawwww. I have it on there as you can walk to it (one block away) and like mentioned - some guests REALLY like it. Still not sure how, but they do.
It is an enigma..
Yes, smoky, very smoky. And wine in a plastic cup when I was there! What I call a local joint :) The food was just OK...I was very hungry!! haha!

so i think it's worthwhile to say ... mixed reviews, may be smokey ... if you eat there, let us know what you think. i never posted a disclaimer but i suppose you could 'the views and opinions expressed blahblah' ... but a lot of the time, i had not had the opportunity to visit/eat at the places and guests would ask me 'is the food good?' or 'what is it like there?' and i would honestly tell them, the best i can give you are reviews from other guests because i have not been there.
case in point ... a lobster shack in the area.
some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks.

Guest remarks...hm
It is an enigma..
Yes, smoky, very smoky. And wine in a plastic cup when I was there! What I call a local joint :) The food was just OK...I was very hungry!! haha!
Samster said:
See I thought I recalled you ate there. When you were here there wasn't much else. We have changed quite a bit since.
There is a lady who moved here from Annapolis who loved having her wine in that plastic cup! She would brag about it. (What the?) Then there was a man from Fla who griped that when he ate pizza there better be beer! (And there isn't there - have no idea why not).
Well the good news is we have a new Sports Bar and Grill that was supposed to open in the Fall and hopefully will be opening soon after much renovations to a furniture store! it is 3 doors down from the movie theater and 2 blocks from here!
I sure hope they open!
Oh in reply to SS - "WILL BE SMOKEY WHEN YOU EAT THERE" it is the owners who are the smokers - they step out of the kitchen and into the dining room to smoke. No I am not kidding. So if it is slow (which it seldom is) then you will breathe more smoke.

so i think it's worthwhile to say ... mixed reviews, may be smokey ... if you eat there, let us know what you think. i never posted a disclaimer but i suppose you could 'the views and opinions expressed blahblah' ... but a lot of the time, i had not had the opportunity to visit/eat at the places and guests would ask me 'is the food good?' or 'what is it like there?' and i would honestly tell them, the best i can give you are reviews from other guests because i have not been there.
some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks..
seashanty said:
some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks.
That is a total destination! I would market that place as it is and send everybody there!
Our BBQ place - well I need not go on. Let's just concur that certain parts of the country are just not known for good food. Our nearby city has great restaurants, WE GO THERE.
The place on our corner and other corner are good. We have one place behind us a block guests get angry with me about "Why didn't you tell us about it? It looked so cute!" Because they make their own hours, I never know when they are open, ever. The food is lousy, it is a diner. BUT - People like diners. Where everything is fried, including the ice water. If you lit a match to the dishwater the place would go up in flames!
People always tell me "We want southern food" a lady I know said "Why do we want southern food, that is what we cook at home, we want 'ethnic' food!"
So we have Applebees.

Back