Room Notebooks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so i think it's worthwhile to say ... mixed reviews, may be smokey ... if you eat there, let us know what you think. i never posted a disclaimer but i suppose you could 'the views and opinions expressed blahblah' ... but a lot of the time, i had not had the opportunity to visit/eat at the places and guests would ask me 'is the food good?' or 'what is it like there?' and i would honestly tell them, the best i can give you are reviews from other guests because i have not been there.
case in point ... a lobster shack in the area.
some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks..
seashanty said:
so i think it's worthwhile to say ... mixed reviews, may be smokey ... if you eat there, let us know what you think. i never posted a disclaimer but i suppose you could 'the views and opinions expressed blahblah' ... but a lot of the time, i had not had the opportunity to visit/eat at the places and guests would ask me 'is the food good?' or 'what is it like there?' and i would honestly tell them, the best i can give you are reviews from other guests because i have not been there.
some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks.
That is a total destination! I would market that place as it is and send everybody there!
Our BBQ place - well I need not go on. Let's just concur that certain parts of the country are just not known for good food. Our nearby city has great restaurants, WE GO THERE.
The place on our corner and other corner are good. We have one place behind us a block guests get angry with me about "Why didn't you tell us about it? It looked so cute!" Because they make their own hours, I never know when they are open, ever. The food is lousy, it is a diner. BUT - People like diners. Where everything is fried, including the ice water. If you lit a match to the dishwater the place would go up in flames!
People always tell me "We want southern food" a lady I know said "Why do we want southern food, that is what we cook at home, we want 'ethnic' food!"
So we have Applebees.
We have a place that serves around 500 lobsters/day in the summer. You can't even drive down the road in the summer and it is a working wharf. I tell guests who want to go there, 'Do NOT park anywhere there's a sign that says 'local parking only' you do NOT want to get a lobsterman angry.'
But my description of the lobster shack is, 'It's so fresh, the lobsters climb a ladder out of the water and into the pot.'
Because this place is at the end of the pier, I stole another lobster shack's driving directions...'Go straight until your hat gets wet, then back up.'

SS Can you please email me the name of this place? (or post it if that is ok)
some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks

some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks..
Those are the kinds of places I love, if the food is authentic & good. Unlike JBJ's Eye-tal-ion place.
wink_smile.gif
And I don't mind good wine in a plastic cup either! When my dh & I went to Maine years ago, we ate lobster every single day. Never got sick of it. But I was raised picking Maryland Blue Crabs. Yum!
tounge_smile.gif
I can pick crawfish pretty dang good too. I'm getting hungry.......

haha - even the water is fried! there's your description!.
If they can batter something up here, it'll be fried! I have never seen some of these foods fried anywhere else in the country! They would fry mayonnaise if they could.
There is a new place opening here that is going to do "Chicago Style" fried fish & chicken. Huh??

some guests loved it, really LOVED it ... were looking for exactly that rustic, oil cloth covered picnic table atmosphere where you brush the old lobster shells into huge trash cans at the end of each table ... all outdoor seating, plastic bibs, wet wipes, noise, flies ...the whole bit other guests called it a 'dive' and were amused (but will never return there) that to crack the lobsters open they were given large rocks.
If it's the place I'm thinking of, they closed down that location and moved 'into town' (the bigger town up the road). The place I'm thinking of fits the bill...

If it's the place I'm thinking of, they closed down that location and moved 'into town' (the bigger town up the road). The place I'm thinking of fits the bill...
There are two in your neck of the woods that I have eaten at. We loved them both. Order at the window of a trailer, eat outside on picnic tables, throw away your garbage and you're outta there! We've even had some lobster and clams shipped to us from one of those places. Then, there's one on the way out to the end of the Land that is a really cool place to eat. Plank tables and beer. I love those types of places.
When I am traveling, I would rather eat somewhere that there is 'local color' than a chain restaurant. I can eat at a chain restaurant in my own town! I can't get good lobster in Ohio!

There are two in your neck of the woods that I have eaten at. We loved them both. Order at the window of a trailer, eat outside on picnic tables, throw away your garbage and you're outta there! We've even had some lobster and clams shipped to us from one of those places. Then, there's one on the way out to the end of the Land that is a really cool place to eat. Plank tables and beer. I love those types of places.
When I am traveling, I would rather eat somewhere that there is 'local color' than a chain restaurant. I can eat at a chain restaurant in my own town! I can't get good lobster in Ohio!
Cindy's? That's the one with the trailer and a LOT of local color!

I love Cindy's. I can't GET that here.
Our other favorite is Mabe's (sp). That is the one from which we have had food shipped to us.

Our other favorite is Mabe's (sp). That is the one from which we have had food shipped to us.
penelope said:
Really? That place always looks like no one goes there. A garage, right? Off the side of the house? Maybe 3-4 miles north?

penelope said:
Really? That place always looks like no one goes there. A garage, right? Off the side of the house? Maybe 3-4 miles north?
Speaking of food...
Personally, I think they would have done better to leave him in the tank...

penelope said:
Yep, that's the one. It's basically a kitchen that you place your order in, grab your pop and wait for them to tell you it's ready. Now that you mention it, the last time we headed north, as we went thru your town and headed towards the island chain, we passed Mabe's. There was no one there. The first time we were there, maybe 3 years ago, she was telling us that her hubby had some health problems. I wonder if something happened to him. They were the sweetest people

the place with the rocks for cracking lobster is Cod End.. excellent fried clams
very popular place a little further away is Wildcat Lobster ...
the one that gets raves (so far) from all guests is still further away, Miller's Lobster
all with picnic tables, Miller's is the largest
we used to pass by Red's Eats in Wiscasset, always a crowd, down closer to tipsy butler ... never had the chance to stop there. total lobster shack

I was wondering if the room notebooks would be an appropriate place to also ask for B&B.com reviews? Maybe if they see it, hear it a few times during their stay it might stick??? Maybe something at the end of the book saying "If you've enjoyed your stay we woud appreciate a review on B&B.com, as an incentive B&B.com has drawings for a $250 gift card!"

penelope said:
Yep, that's the one. It's basically a kitchen that you place your order in, grab your pop and wait for them to tell you it's ready. Now that you mention it, the last time we headed north, as we went thru your town and headed towards the island chain, we passed Mabe's. There was no one there. The first time we were there, maybe 3 years ago, she was telling us that her hubby had some health problems. I wonder if something happened to him. They were the sweetest people
Well, that could explain it. It has looked more and more closed the longer I've been here. But, if I see the 'open' sign I'm going to stop in.

the place with the rocks for cracking lobster is Cod End.. excellent fried clams
very popular place a little further away is Wildcat Lobster ...
the one that gets raves (so far) from all guests is still further away, Miller's Lobster
all with picnic tables, Miller's is the largest
we used to pass by Red's Eats in Wiscasset, always a crowd, down closer to tipsy butler ... never had the chance to stop there. total lobster shack.
I was talking about the Dip Net. They moved. Tipsy has a new 'pub' in her backyard. (Well, technically in her front yard.) Just read about them.

I knew I should have read this one sooner!! In 1986 on our first trip to Maine for our first trip on the Lewis R French, we had dinner at the fish market/restaurant (a few tables) called Doug's on the outskirts of Rockland. It was wonderful!! ALL of us loved it - even the kids. The next year when we went back with some friends, we told them about Doug's and were soooo looking forward to eating there. They had remodeled!! And somehow, the food just was not as good. Major disappointment.

I knew I should have read this one sooner!! In 1986 on our first trip to Maine for our first trip on the Lewis R French, we had dinner at the fish market/restaurant (a few tables) called Doug's on the outskirts of Rockland. It was wonderful!! ALL of us loved it - even the kids. The next year when we went back with some friends, we told them about Doug's and were soooo looking forward to eating there. They had remodeled!! And somehow, the food just was not as good. Major disappointment..
gillumhouse said:
I knew I should have read this one sooner!! In 1986 on our first trip to Maine for our first trip on the Lewis R French, we had dinner at the fish market/restaurant (a few tables) called Doug's on the outskirts of Rockland. It was wonderful!! ALL of us loved it - even the kids. The next year when we went back with some friends, we told them about Doug's and were soooo looking forward to eating there. They had remodeled!! And somehow, the food just was not as good. Major disappointment.
It's the ambiance...a short story...
Hubs used to hang out at a 'restaurant' where he used to live. It was at the crossroads between 2 major ski areas in VT. You couldn't miss it. The place was a dump, but the locals loved it. (How bad was it? The kitchen caught fire once from all the grease.)
Anyhoo, the locals came in from hunting, farming, general living and no one took any pains to 'clean up' before they arrived. Hubs said he was sitting there one morning having coffee and pie and in walked a couple of 'ski people' in their designer ski outfits. They looked at the mud on the floor, the grease everywhere and the locals looking back at them and they turned and walked out.
The owner looked at the closing door and said, 'Musta been too much ambiance for them,' and went back to pouring coffee.

I knew I should have read this one sooner!! In 1986 on our first trip to Maine for our first trip on the Lewis R French, we had dinner at the fish market/restaurant (a few tables) called Doug's on the outskirts of Rockland. It was wonderful!! ALL of us loved it - even the kids. The next year when we went back with some friends, we told them about Doug's and were soooo looking forward to eating there. They had remodeled!! And somehow, the food just was not as good. Major disappointment..
gillumhouse said:
It's the ambiance...a short story...
Hubs used to hang out at a 'restaurant' where he used to live. It was at the crossroads between 2 major ski areas in VT. You couldn't miss it. The place was a dump, but the locals loved it. (How bad was it? The kitchen caught fire once from all the grease.)
Anyhoo, the locals came in from hunting, farming, general living and no one took any pains to 'clean up' before they arrived. Hubs said he was sitting there one morning having coffee and pie and in walked a couple of 'ski people' in their designer ski outfits. They looked at the mud on the floor, the grease everywhere and the locals looking back at them and they turned and walked out.
The owner looked at the closing door and said, 'Musta been too much ambiance for them,' and went back to pouring coffee.
Love it!!! Ahh those city folks.

YellowSocks said:
I am way overdue to have these done, and have a self-imposed deadline of next Monday (just before we have a full house).
What do you have in your room notebooks, or wish you had, or plan to put in eventually?
=)
Kk.
We have hard bound ledgers in our rooms. They generally are well received and a hoot to read. Allow me to read a recently written poem:
We love this place
So scenic and fair
But the sex we had here
Was beyond compare
Funny huh?

Back