Sandy is coming

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of those times when the storm won't hit here because we have no guests at any time during the period the storm may hit here. If we were full, that puppy would change course and head for here. Like it did last year. When we lost power and had guests demanding refunds because we had no lights..
Had a full house last night but the guests in the cottage who live in MD decided to leave a day early to fly home before the storm hit. No early departure refund from us since we should be OK until Monday. Just finishing putting all the outdoor furniture, planters and screens away. After the "Perfect Storm" on Halloween in '91 we don't take anything for granted and prepare for the worst.
Thinking of all of you in the DC area and wishing you luck in getting through this storm in one piece.
Have a friend who lives in NY who is stuck in FL. No flights going out to NY. She tried to get out early. She and 50,000 other people! So, she's hanging out and hoping for the best back home.
My folks are in LV and wondering when they should start the drive back to NY. Definitely after everything has blown thru as they don't want to be there when the power is still out.

This is tongue in cheek, but real. Happening now, in fact. Frankenstorm Approacheth!.
Hope all will be well with you and everyone it Sandy's path. My husband just got done cabling a big spruce tree in our yard the other day. Hope it holds. We don't want to lose it.
EmptyNest said:
Hope all will be well with you and everyone it Sandy's path. My husband just got done cabling a big spruce tree in our yard the other day. Hope it holds. We don't want to lose it.
I am going to email you as DH asked what technique did he use, the ibolts through the tree or the newer cabling? (He will be here in a moment so I can email as ask).

Interactive map based on zip code- http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/26/us/hurricane-sandy-map.html

This is tongue in cheek, but real. Happening now, in fact. Frankenstorm Approacheth!.
I am trying to get someone to come give an estimate on taking down the blue spruce DH would not let the power company take down for free when we first moved here. NOW they do not do it!! Man was supposed to come yesterday - did not! I am afraid it is going to come down and either take out my house or take out half the utilities in town.

We're in Boston at the moment, hoping to fly home on Monday night. Looks as though the worst will bypass here, so hopefully we won't be delayed too much.
weve only got one booking for next week so if the worst comes to the worst ill have to email and cancel it.
Hope everyone else is ok.

We're in Boston at the moment, hoping to fly home on Monday night. Looks as though the worst will bypass here, so hopefully we won't be delayed too much.
weve only got one booking for next week so if the worst comes to the worst ill have to email and cancel it.
Hope everyone else is ok..
Hope you had a great visit.

We are supposed to fly to NYC on the 31st and leave from NJ on a cruise on the 2nd. I'm worried that we are going to lose this vacation, now.

Oh My HJ, I would be surprised if you get out of Boston on Monday night. The winds will still be honking and I suspect that the entire NE will be shut down by early Monday morning. You had better get a plan B ready.

We are supposed to fly to NYC on the 31st and leave from NJ on a cruise on the 2nd. I'm worried that we are going to lose this vacation, now.
Well, we pushed back by a day. The hotel is prepaid, so we called to tell them that we would arrive a day late but to hold one of the two nights. They refused our notification and insisted that we have to call the OTA and have them fax the change to them. What kind of customer service is that? I'm not arguing about paying you, I'm just telling you that you can resell the first day because I won't be there, but I will arrive for the second day. You would think it would take a minute to mark it on the reservation. Instead, I have to call the OTA, wait on the phone for them, they have to call you and then fax you and what could have taken a minute to fix, now takes two people and an hour.

Well, we pushed back by a day. The hotel is prepaid, so we called to tell them that we would arrive a day late but to hold one of the two nights. They refused our notification and insisted that we have to call the OTA and have them fax the change to them. What kind of customer service is that? I'm not arguing about paying you, I'm just telling you that you can resell the first day because I won't be there, but I will arrive for the second day. You would think it would take a minute to mark it on the reservation. Instead, I have to call the OTA, wait on the phone for them, they have to call you and then fax you and what could have taken a minute to fix, now takes two people and an hour.
They don't believe you. They will fall in line once they are assured that you are telling them the truth and they receive notification from OTA. A bit of a pain but I bet they get all kinds of excuses.
wink_smile.gif

They don't believe you. They will fall in line once they are assured that you are telling them the truth and they receive notification from OTA. A bit of a pain but I bet they get all kinds of excuses.
wink_smile.gif

Seriously, the OTA says to call them direct and tell them. I do. They send me back to the OTA. Waste of my time. In any case, I'm insured... under three different policies, including one direct from the OTA. I don't travel without travel insurance.
(The software malfunctioned and bought the online policy. We have the automatic policy under our CC and we have an annual policy as part of our extended health insurance policy. I called our CC company and said "covered". So if their insurance turns me down, I'm still getting my money back.)

This is the best radar to keep on your screen.
I like this map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/26/us/hurricane-sandy-map.html it gives you the percentage chance of being in the storm path and shows you the current thought on where the path is going. The pink path is the uncertainty. It does appear to be moving west and looping back to visit me... but after I'm gone on vacation, hopefully.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
I like this map http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/10/26/us/hurricane-sandy-map.html it gives you the percentage chance of being in the storm path and shows you the current thought on where the path is going. The pink path is the uncertainty. It does appear to be moving west and looping back to visit me... but after I'm gone on vacation, hopefully.
Yes the path, but we are expecting 50-75MPH winds for the next two to three days here, and worse than the derecho that tore our roof off and took trees down everywhere.
Funny in SW VA a max sec prison is on half staff today, and yet the schools are still in! Go figure.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yes the path, but we are expecting 50-75MPH winds for the next two to three days here, and worse than the derecho that tore our roof off and took trees down everywhere.
Funny in SW VA a max sec prison is on half staff today, and yet the schools are still in! Go figure.
Batten down the hatches and take care. We had a guest check out early yesterday to take the train home before the storm. And I have two different cousins who are right in the path. The worst of which is their new home in PA is right in the exact path at the moment. I hope everyone gets through this. Around here they are worrying about flooding, mostly.

Eric Arthur Blair said:
All out Talk Radio programming is centered on this storm after the derecho we already experienced - no one is taking chances. They are on blizzard warning in the mountains. We have cold and rain right now and more with high winds expected tomorrow and the next couple days. One problem my State has is a lack of flatland for the water to go to. Comes down the mountains into creeks, runs, and streams then over the banks on the way to swell up the rivers.
The power company sent out an alert to the municipalities re measures they are taking and messages for safety to their citizens. The power company has tree companies, contractors, and electricians on stand-by just in case.
The storm itself will not get to me (but is predicted for muirford's area) but we will get the backlash wind/rain/snow.

I heard there's a webcam in the torch of the Statue of Liberty that shows the NYC skyline. It would be good to watch the storm progress on, but I can't get it to load. Probably too many other people had the same idea and swamped the system!

I heard there's a webcam on the torch of the Statue of Liberty that shows the NYC skyline. It would be good to watch the storm progress on, but I can't get it to load. Probably too many other people had the same idea and swamped the system!

Back