Super easy snacks?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't shoot me, but I'm gonna go renegade here and tell you all the truth.
I haven't done afternoon tea or snacks in about 6 or 7 years now.
And the really weird thing is NO ONE SEEMS TO MISS IT! or even ask for it, for that matter.
When I started, I did. Baked my tushie off for 4 o'clock tea and ended up pitching it on a regular basis. In my frustration, I started asking guests why (originally this started when Atkins and then South Beach diets were all the rage and I thought that had something to do with it.)
Anyway the answer I got was that 4 o'clock tea interfers with peoples 6 o'clock dinner.
I actually had a woman say to me once: Do me a favor and take those cakes off the table before my husband comes down. If I don't get taken out to dinner tonight .... someones going to DIE!
icon_eek.gif

Now I only do afternoon tea by advance arrangement..
We stopped making muffins and breads for breakfast during that phase. No crust on the quiche anymore, nothing but whole wheat toast. It was awful to throw out a dozen muffins everyday because they had been plated and served and ignored. And now we're used to having all that extra time!
I'll keep doing the afternoon treats, tho, because we get a fair number of kids and they really like it. As well as a fair number of guys who must all have had moms who baked. They get all excited to see a big plate of cookies.
Bree said:
I'll keep doing the afternoon treats, tho, because we get a fair number of kids and they really like it. As well as a fair number of guys who must all have had moms who baked. They get all excited to see a big plate of cookies.
The 'fair number of kids' turned out to be 6 last night.

FD can you send some to me in a care package? I haven't made choco-chip oatmeal in a long time! mmmm

guests also seem to enjoy fondue on the weekends. Melt some chocolate and chop up some fruit. (apples, strawberries, bananas...) or go savory with a cheese fondue and some chunked up toasted crusty bread, broccoli, grape tomatoes, etc. very easy & quick.

My SIL brought these to a July 4 party and they were gone instantly. I don't know what they're called but I call them heavenly!!! She made hers with the semi-sweet chocolate.

* Line a cookie sheet with tin foil. Cover entire sheet with saltine crackers aligned next to each other.
* melt 2 sticks of butter, add 1/3 cup brown sugar bring to a boil and cook 1 minute
* pour butter mixture over the crackers and spread it around so all crackers are covered.
* bake 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
* pour 1 bag (12 oz) of white chocolate chips over the hot mixture. Let it sit about 30 seconds then spread the chocolate over the crackers with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle "some" shredded coconut over the chocolate and about 1/4 chopped walnuts and gently press in. Refrigerate.
You can also do a batch with the semi sweet chocolate.

We have a fridge full of drinks, but no checkin or afternoon snacks. We serve a decadent dessert at 8pm each night.

ever consider hooking up with a local bakery?
I bake occassionaly......much baking for the holidays....Do things like "butter horns", "mexican wedding cakes" one of our favorites is what we call "Platsick" (easy spelling) - a pastry cake type dough top and bottom. Preserve in the middle, sliced into 2 bite wedges.
all of which will keep for several days wrapped well or kept in sealed containers.

ever consider hooking up with a local bakery?
I bake occassionaly......much baking for the holidays....Do things like "butter horns", "mexican wedding cakes" one of our favorites is what we call "Platsick" (easy spelling) - a pastry cake type dough top and bottom. Preserve in the middle, sliced into 2 bite wedges.
all of which will keep for several days wrapped well or kept in sealed containers..
I asked a friend with a commercial kitchen what she would charge me for different items. I'd be broke in a week, and that was with the 'your my friend' discount! So I guess I have to stick with do it yourself for now!

Bree said:
I need some really fast dessert/snack recipes. Short cooking time, short prep time, short ingredient list.
I'm getting tired of the pnut butter cookies!
We make a big batch of special chocolate chip cookies, roll them into individual cookies and then freeze them in bags. That way we can take out and back 4 or 10 depending on how they get eaten. Doing this means only 10 minutes for baking time.
Riki

understood there would be an increased cost buying from bakery. But how much more is it realy?.....I would venture to guess that as with most any industry, that there would be wholesale pricing.
When one considers cost...what is the cost of running an oven from warm up to finished baking time of 20, 30 or what ever minutes? Prep time, bake time? on a side note regarding bake times - suppose you have a 15-20 minute bake time....do you hang in the kitchen? run upstairs to begin a room prep, keeping an eye on the clock?
There was mention of buying store goods. Now, I am guessing this to be grocery store. Some items are tastey, some are so, so. Where as a bakery usualy has a better product.
I am looking at this from a solo operator perspective. Creating relationships with local businesses so that your venture operates smoothly is a win, win situation.......no?

understood there would be an increased cost buying from bakery. But how much more is it realy?.....I would venture to guess that as with most any industry, that there would be wholesale pricing.
When one considers cost...what is the cost of running an oven from warm up to finished baking time of 20, 30 or what ever minutes? Prep time, bake time? on a side note regarding bake times - suppose you have a 15-20 minute bake time....do you hang in the kitchen? run upstairs to begin a room prep, keeping an eye on the clock?
There was mention of buying store goods. Now, I am guessing this to be grocery store. Some items are tastey, some are so, so. Where as a bakery usualy has a better product.
I am looking at this from a solo operator perspective. Creating relationships with local businesses so that your venture operates smoothly is a win, win situation.......no?.
$1/scone. 19 guests. I don't spend $19 everyday to make any kind of snack here. Considering I'd have to put out more than 19, it would prohibitive. Time is free for me, but not for the baker. The baker charges for her time. Chocolate torte (to die for) is $28. Friend price, better than wholesale.
Working with a baker in another town. Giant cookies are $1.40/ea wholesale. She would do smaller cookies, but you see what the price is looking like.
Yup, I sit and wait for the oven. If I don't I burn stuff. Turn oven on, whip up ingredients, pop in oven, set timer, sit down and chat here!
Creating relationships is great for biz. It helps everyone all around. IF you can afford it.
That's why I was looking for fast recipes I can do myself. Probably amounts to $2-3 everyday, everything included (including time, time is free).

I am looking at this from a solo operator perspective. Creating relationships with local businesses so that your venture operates smoothly is a win, win situation.......no?.
$1/scone. 19 guests. I don't spend $19 everyday to make any kind of snack here. Considering I'd have to put out more than 19, it would prohibitive. Time is free for me, but not for the baker. The baker charges for her time. Chocolate torte (to die for) is $28. Friend price, better than wholesale.
Working with a baker in another town. Giant cookies are $1.40/ea wholesale. She would do smaller cookies, but you see what the price is looking like.
Yup, I sit and wait for the oven. If I don't I burn stuff. Turn oven on, whip up ingredients, pop in oven, set timer, sit down and chat here!
Creating relationships is great for biz. It helps everyone all around. IF you can afford it.
That's why I was looking for fast recipes I can do myself. Probably amounts to $2-3 everyday, everything included (including time, time is free).
Bree said:
See everyone mentioned the lack of eating the snacks, why would you put out MORE than 19 for 19 guests? If it were me and I had 19 guests I would probably put out 8 to 10. Seriousely. No more than that.

Bree said:
See everyone mentioned the lack of eating the snacks, why would you put out MORE than 19 for 19 guests? If it were me and I had 19 guests I would probably put out 8 to 10. Seriousely. No more than that.
When they eat the stuff, they ALL eat it and then some! I've seen guests eat 3-4 cookies while checking in. 2 couples one day ate everything while checking in. No one else had a chance.
But, you're right, I wouldn't put out more than 19 of a particular item. I might start with a dozen and then check back after dinner to see how things were going.
I was really thinking more of having the scones for brekkie and how much they would cost to buy vs making them myself.

Bree said:
When they eat the stuff, they ALL eat it and then some! I've seen guests eat 3-4 cookies while checking in. 2 couples one day ate everything while checking in. No one else had a chance.
But, you're right, I wouldn't put out more than 19 of a particular item. I might start with a dozen and then check back after dinner to see how things were going.
I was really thinking more of having the scones for brekkie and how much they would cost to buy vs making them myself.
Bree said:
Cookies are different.
wink_smile.gif

curious.....what size cookie?
any I have made were similar to that of the standard packaged cookies, or smaller

curious.....what size cookie?
any I have made were similar to that of the standard packaged cookies, or smaller.
The cookies I make are your usual homemade cookies, I guess. 1 tbsp of cookie dough per cookie. The ones I was looking at buying are about 6-8" long. HUGE, in comparison.

It was me that confessed to buying "store" items...these come from an upscale groery store with an in-store bakery or baked goods from our local fresh air market on Saturdays. I will do this as a time saver or when I just need a break & usually when we have a room or two. They are definitely not cheap...but always delicious :)

Those big cookies is more of what I was thinking for a bakery product.....$1.40 is not all that bad.....when you consider the size....and that a cookie of that size is sufficient, one per person. Or perhaps shared by a couple
myself.....take Chips A Hoy, Oreos.......I have no problem going through a half a bag in one sitting, without even thinking.....yeah I know, that amount is much more than a normal person may eat.
It seems cookies is the most popular snack. Brownies would be second most popular?....what other baked snacks do you all offer?

What about making bar cookies? There are ooodles of recipes for bar on the internet...lemon, almond, butterscotch...you could do two pans at a time and serve half and half.
What about brownie mixes? Add some different chips into them. Make a quick drizzle of melted chips to put over the top and, becuase they are so rich, cut them smaller...you get more out of a pan that way.
I know there are recipes on the sides of cake mixes that use the cake mix as the base for cookies.

How about breadsticks? I just saw this on TV this morning. Refrigerated breadstick dough. Make a trench down the center of each individual one and spread with herbed cream cheese, or filling of your choice. Twist and bake. Cut into bite-size pieces. Voila!

Back