"That's the most I've ever paid..."

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
This from a group that just checked in. They were sent the confirmations. They were told when booking how much it would be for the dog. 'We usually only have to pay $10, if anything.'
Geez louise.

I hate to think where they have been staying! If they don't like it,...they can always go somewhere else if they think they can find a better deal. I have never heard of a place where pets can stay for FREE. And that includes hotels.

Is it a per day fee or one time charge? I don't think that is bad if they stay two nights etc.
One time. For most guests it's not an issue. They want to travel with their dog, they pay for it. I know I can board my dog for a lot less than that, but that's what happens when enough guests don't behave...I have to pay for the hot water & the time it takes to get all that laundry done! (2 quilts + 2 blankets, and extra vacuuming. One time the bedskirts had to come off and I lost a booking because I couldn't get it all put back together by 3 PM.)
Tomorrow I have a girl in that room who is allergic to dogs. So, today, I pulled the 'good' quilts out of the room and put the spares on the bed, just in case they let the dog on the beds without putting down the dog blanket I provide. That way I don't have to wash the good quilts again tomorrow and can just change out the blankets.
And, like El said, they can stay elsewhere. $25 charge for dogs next door, but the room is over $200. The other place that takes dogs I can't find a charge for pets (or kids for that matter).

I hate to think where they have been staying! If they don't like it,...they can always go somewhere else if they think they can find a better deal. I have never heard of a place where pets can stay for FREE. And that includes hotels..
Then she started in on how they know hotel owners who say they never have problems with dogs, it's people they have to ask to leave. Which I just had to reply to- yes, that is why we charge for the dog, because the people let the dog sleep on the bed and on the furniture and then everything in the room has to be washed.
They all looked at me like I was mad...why would I have to wash anything the dog slept on???

I hate to think where they have been staying! If they don't like it,...they can always go somewhere else if they think they can find a better deal. I have never heard of a place where pets can stay for FREE. And that includes hotels..
Oh, yeah, forgot she also asked if the dog got breakfast for that price? I did mention there were treats in the room...

Is it a per day fee or one time charge? I don't think that is bad if they stay two nights etc.
One time. For most guests it's not an issue. They want to travel with their dog, they pay for it. I know I can board my dog for a lot less than that, but that's what happens when enough guests don't behave...I have to pay for the hot water & the time it takes to get all that laundry done! (2 quilts + 2 blankets, and extra vacuuming. One time the bedskirts had to come off and I lost a booking because I couldn't get it all put back together by 3 PM.)
Tomorrow I have a girl in that room who is allergic to dogs. So, today, I pulled the 'good' quilts out of the room and put the spares on the bed, just in case they let the dog on the beds without putting down the dog blanket I provide. That way I don't have to wash the good quilts again tomorrow and can just change out the blankets.
And, like El said, they can stay elsewhere. $25 charge for dogs next door, but the room is over $200. The other place that takes dogs I can't find a charge for pets (or kids for that matter).
I just refer people to the place near us where they can board their dogs if they want to stay here. It's only about 5 minutes away. I'm just not willing to go through all that to accept pets. You're a better person than me :) The housekeeper of the inn near us was complaining to me last week about how much dog hair there was in a room where there were a couple of dogs. She asked me if I accepted pets, and I said "no way". Not willing to go through all that work to try & rid a room of dog dander and hair...not to mention if they have fleas! Ack!
Your price is very reasonable.

for an animal to be able to stay in a B&B I think that is VERY REASONABLE!!!! It is not a cabin or something. Extra person fee is the same.

Oh, yeah, forgot she also asked if the dog got breakfast for that price? I did mention there were treats in the room...
Bree said:
pathetic.
No, no breakfast ma'am, but if I find her food out in my yard you pay a $100 scooper pooper fee!

Yeah, right. If it was a service dog, what was it doing in a carrier????
=)
Kk.

The minute that dog acted aggressively it could be tossed out on its ear and the people with it. THAT you do not have to take.

What a load of you know what!! Little dogs are rarely service animals. Jeez....some people!.
Samster said:
What a load of you know what!! Little dogs are rarely service animals. Jeez....some people!
Large dogs can be, like St Bernards.
regular_smile.gif

sounds very reasonable to me.
we had a surprise dog the other day.
went to the door, couple carrying a little dog in a front carrier
them: we have a reservation
me: we have a problem. we don't take dogs.
them: this is a trained service dog, we have papers, you have to give us accommodation.
i said nothing and showed them their room. i have heard of bogus 'papers' and i was not about to challenge them ... it seemed to me they were ready for an argument.
i don't think it was a service animal because it was not always with the person whose service animal it is supposed to be and because it acted aggressively toward someone with a dog who came to the door. barked and growled and bared its teeth ready to fight, had to be restrained until the other person left. the other dog stood still, looking scared. as far as i know, trained service dogs do not go after other dogs. if it was a trained service dog, it needs more training!
anyway, they were not charged an additional fee. and i have read all the rules. they don't have to tell you they are bringing a service animal, can't deny accommodation, etc. but it would have been nice (and appropriate) to tell me ahead of time. i would have replaced some of the bed linens in the room especially the white puffs etc. before they checked in. i don't know where the dog slept, in the bed i suppose. or on the nicely folded comforter that was sitting next to the bed on the floor in the morning. so we stripped it completely to wash. seems to me it is fair to charge for that necessity.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
That was my first thought. Papers or not, he wasn't providing a service, and I would have told her, "We don't take off duty service animals."

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
That was my first thought. Papers or not, he wasn't providing a service, and I would have told her, "We don't take off duty service animals."
What a great answer! I hope I remember it when they show up at my place!
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
"Service animal" covers a lot of territory and a lot of animals. Not saying this person wasn't scheming to get their dog in someplace, just that it could be an emotional service animal, instead of a physical service animal, like hearing or seeing dogs.
The real point is the animal was aggressive and that is totally off limits and grounds to ask them to leave. You can't be threatened by the animal and have to put up with that.
I wish she had seen the papers, I'd love to know what they said. And she could have asked what service the dog provides. NOT, 'What's wrong with you?' but, 'What service does the dog provide?'

them: this is a trained service dog, we have papers, you have to give us accommodation.
i said nothing and showed them their room. i have heard of bogus 'papers' and i was not about to challenge them ... it seemed to me they were ready for an argument.
i don't think it was a service animal because it was not always with the person whose service animal it is supposed to be and because it acted aggressively toward someone with a dog who came to the door. barked and growled and bared its teeth ready to fight, had to be restrained until the other person left. the other dog stood still, looking scared. as far as i know, trained service dogs do not go after other dogs. if it was a trained service dog, it needs more training!
anyway, they were not charged an additional fee. and i have read all the rules. they don't have to tell you they are bringing a service animal, can't deny accommodation, etc. but it would have been nice (and appropriate) to tell me ahead of time. i would have replaced some of the bed linens in the room especially the white puffs etc. before they checked in. i don't know where the dog slept, in the bed i suppose. or on the nicely folded comforter that was sitting next to the bed on the floor in the morning. so we stripped it completely to wash. seems to me it is fair to charge for that necessity.
seashanty said:
If this should happen again, I would ask to see the "papers" and make a copy of them. It would be interesting to see what they say. It would also put them in a position to put up or shut up because they told YOU "we have the papers". It sounds to me, more than anything, like someone who read the article in the paper about Service Dogs and deliberately choosing an inn that did not take dogs (and said so on their web site) and hoping to be turned away. I bet you anything they had their lawyer's number on speed dial.

Dh totally has his undies in a bunch about this. He's supposed to be sleeping but every now and then he rolls over and makes another comment. He just can't believe we really have to take service animals, or that we'd be in any risk of being sued if we refused.
In the long run I'm glad he's been educated about it, though.
=)
Kk.

Dh totally has his undies in a bunch about this. He's supposed to be sleeping but every now and then he rolls over and makes another comment. He just can't believe we really have to take service animals, or that we'd be in any risk of being sued if we refused.
In the long run I'm glad he's been educated about it, though.
=)
Kk.
Another thought...I would ask for the papers and then had them wait while I contacted whatever authority purportedly issued them to verify their validity. If this was a bogus tactic to get their dog welcomed, then that would put some heat on them.
Fortunately, I fall into a little different category in the eyes of the law and am exempt from lot of hotel-like policies - this is one of them. The hotel tax and ADA compliance are a couple more.

Back